NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-07-2023, 05:24 AM
Tony Baldwin

Default Autograph Collectors - Your Thoughts On Autograph Index Cards

Do you see less value in an autographed index card, compared to other items autographed? Example would be, an autographed 1953 Mickey Mantle Card compared to an autographed Mickey Mantle Index Card. Both signatures are really nice. The signature on the index card is perfectly centered, but no inscription.

Myself, I think an autographed 1953 Mickey Mantle Card would be much nicer than an index card. However, some collectors look at it as an autograph on a card devalues the card value somewhat. But I've also seen really nice autographs on index cards, yet, someone bought and preferred a fading autograph on a card, photo, etc.

This purchase would be a high dollar investment $12,000 to $15,000. It's for me to enjoy for now, but to also sell one day. I would hate to invest in an autographed index card, if the desire of collectors isn't that great.

Thanks!

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 07-07-2023 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:36 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
Do you see less value in an autographed index card, compared to other items autographed? Example would be, an autographed 1953 Mickey Mantle Card compared to an autographed Mickey Mantle Index Card. Both signatures are really nice. The signature on the index card is perfectly centered, but no inscription.

Myself, I think an autographed 1953 Mickey Mantle Card would be much nicer than an index card. However, some collectors look at it as an autograph on a card devalues the card value somewhat. But I've also seen really nice autographs on index cards, yet, someone bought and preferred a fading autograph on a card, photo, etc.

This purchase would be a high dollar investment $12,000 to $15,000. It's for me to enjoy for now, but to also sell one day. I would hate to invest in an autographed index card, if the desire of collectors isn't that great.

Thanks!
Opinions have changed a bit over the years. It used to be that people felt like the signed card devalued it, but prices and sales these days tell a different story. Personally I'd take the signed card any day of the week, and that's coming from someone that has taken many 3x5 index cards and matted them with photos.
1955 Dodger Autographs...41/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 07-07-2023, 09:31 AM

Good Morning, I have a lot of autographs in my collection and have bought and sold several. There is no doubt in my mind that authentic autographs are more desirable on an item that also contains a photo, narrative or something else pertaining to the subject. Maybe the one exception is on a card that also contains the postage cancellation date or another type of marking where the autograph can be traced to the subject on a specific date.

The problem with autographed photos, 8x10s for example, is subjects typically signed those by the thousands for fans, special events, retail, etc. Again, an exception is a vintage type 1 photo - for example a period Walter Johnson.

Regarding cards, the current market seems to be autographs on sports cards tend to be more valuable, especially on rookie cards. It seems to be a method of turning an $80 card into a $150 card rather quickly. Non factory issued sports cards bring more value when not only the card is authenticated but also graded. Such as 1955 Topps Jackie Robinson autographed card, with the both card and autograph certified and graded - compared to a simply the autographed certified and graded. If you don't pay the extra money to have the card graded, PSA will only label the card as Sports Card, etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2023, 10:59 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post

Thanks!
A 53 Topps Mantle or 53 Bowman with Autograph would be my choice. I would not pay more than $300 Doll Hairs for a Mantle on an index card. 10-15K for a card seems like about right for a nice one. I'd be buying a PSA Graded card with a PSA Graded signature spending that much. That's what the collectors want these days and that protects you somewhat.

I like these 8 x 10's better than cards for signatures and they can be had for 1/10 or less than the card. I don't really want or need my 53 Mantle cards signed. Good Luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mickey Mantle 8x10 UD0001.jpg (189.3 KB, 264 views)
Old 07-07-2023, 11:09 AM

This has nothing to do with the main question. Other people can chime in on that one.

Mantle index cards are pretty darn uncommon. Authentic examples that do exist tend to date to the earliest parts of his career, circa 1956 and prior. After that, demands on Mick's time due to stardom were such that he wasn't much bothered with answering fan mail, which is where the bulk of index card requests would have been coming from. By the 1970's, someone was applying a rubber stamp facsimile to index card mail requests, usually in bright red ink. By the time that memorabilia became more industry than hobby, next to nobody would spend money to have Mantle sign a worthless index card when they could buy a beautiful 8X10 at the show for a couple of dollars.

Honestly, I've barely seen any true index cards signed by Mantle which dated post-1950's. Most anything 3X5 in size that dates to later on in Mick's life was trimmed from a larger item, like a book leaf, and is obviously on thinner paper stock. If you see any actual index cards which supposedly bear Mantle's most familiar, "card show industry" style autograph, you're looking at an almost 100% chance of it being a forgery. I've seen lots of those.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 07-07-2023 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-08-2023, 05:47 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
Honestly, I've barely seen any true index cards signed by Mantle which dated post-1950's. Most anything 3X5 in size that dates to later on in Mick's life was trimmed from a larger item, like a book leaf, and is obviously on thinner paper stock. If you see any actual index cards which supposedly bear Mantle's most familiar, "card show industry" style autograph, you're looking at an almost 100% chance of it being a forgery. I've seen lots of those.
Funny you should say that. Here's one from 1991.

In this case, the autograph is 100% authentic. I can say that without hesitation because I got it in person, at a press conference at Mickey Mantle's Restaurant in New York City in July 1991 where Mantle publicized an auction of his 1967 road jersey. I was there in my capacity as an employee of the auction house that was hosting the event, and I had the boss' permission to ask Mantle for an autograph.

I know what many of you must be thinking: why, as a knowledgable employee of a place that dealt in sports memorabilia, did I waste an opportunity to get a free Mickey Mantle autograph by having him sign a lowly 3x5 card instead of a photo or a baseball?

Well, I had been told that Mantle would only be signing auction catalogs at the event. For all I knew, he could have said "I'm only signing catalogs" and turned me away. But when I presented the card to Mantle he looked at the back, saw that it was just a plain 3x5, and signed and (at my request) dated it.

Fortunately, 3x5 cards have always been my medium of choice for autographs - I like autographs for their own sake - so I didn't feel like I was "settling" just for the sake of a free Mantle signature.

So apparentiy this is a very rare item, a 3x5 card with a "card show" Mantle autograph. And as the only Mickey Mantle autograph that I know to be authentic without question because I myself saw him sign it, it's also a personal 1-of-1.
Old 10-08-2023, 06:19 PM

I get a kick out of seeing authentic examples such as yours! They're definitely few and far between from that era. It's great that you had him date it, too. This isn't something he would tend to do without being asked.
Old 10-08-2023, 07:34 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

In case this helps with your decision... Even if the Index Card is rarer than a signed Topps or Bowman Mantle Card, the trading card will be a far better investment for you. The stigma of having an autograph on a card is no longer a concern. There's more demand for them now... much more so than an Index Card.

The other thing that's not yet been touched on is Mantle's signature itself. You mention being interested specifically in a 1953 card. If the one you have in mind features his early style signature (prior to his looping of the "M"s) it will carry a significant premium. His "card show style" signatures outnumber his early style signatures by at least 500 to 1. So it would be great to see images of both pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 10-09-2023, 07:30 PM
Jeff Lazarus

My read on the hobby is that index cards are more popular among older collectors than younger collectors.

Signed vintage cards have definitely become a lot more popular, especially with vintage signatures.
Old 10-09-2023, 09:47 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
His "card show style" signatures outnumber his early style signatures by at least 500 to 1.
How many "card show style" autographs would you, or anyone, estimate that he signed in his lifetime? Thousands, I'm sure. Tens of thousands? More?
Old 10-10-2023, 01:13 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
How many "card show style" autographs would you, or anyone, estimate that he signed in his lifetime? Thousands, I'm sure. Tens of thousands? More?
Definitely thousands. Perhaps tens of thousands. I'm not sure there's a way to know the actual number, but perhaps someone else here can narrow it down a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 10-10-2023, 01:37 PM

There's no way of knowing, but think of it this way:

1980-95 = nearly 15 years, as Mick died in the summer of '95.

50 show/private signing/meet and greet appearances per year X 15 years = 750 appearances

500 autographs signed per appearance X 750 appearances = 375,000 autographs. Remember, in show settings, there was the number signed for the public and then the boatload signed behind the curtain for the promoters who brought him in.

No, Mick may not have done a signing every week, but remember that some of these appearances extended for more than one day over the course of an event. I'm considering each day as a separate "signing" when doing this very loose math.

I think these numbers are actually kind of light, as he certainly made a ton of appearances in the 70's as well. Half a million autographs is not out of the question. Completely mind boggling.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 10-10-2023 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2023, 06:01 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
Funny you should say that. Here's one from 1991.

This is outstanding! Love it.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206