NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-13-2020, 07:02 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
+1

I do not do 06s but do follow many of the threads more out of fascination about how complex the set is and the passion 06 collectors have for the issue but I have to say that I have seen Ted go bonkers on people for taking his thread OT but here he seems to be ok with hijacking this one. That is sorta disappointing.

What is very "DISAPPOINTING" is your blaming me for this situation ! I did not "HI-JACK" Ryan's thread ! !
The other guy did, starting with his erroneous comments in post #22. To which I corrected, and he went berserk.

Ryan (1st post) asked some questions regarding the the brown LENOX cards. I simply responded (in post #10) with my theory on how brown LENOX cards may have been printed,
and which T206 subjects can (or will be) found with brown LENOX backs. I presented this theory several years ago, and it has withstood the test of time.

Then (post #22) things started to go off the track when Pat criticized my comment about "T206 LENOX card and a T80 LENOX card in the same pack of LENOX Cigarettes".

His criticism was absolutely unwarranted since his evidence was based on T79 cards (not T80 cards). He ignored my correction, and proceeded to go off on a tangent bashing me.

Hey Chase (Lorewalker), do review the posts in this thread and it will become obvious to you (and anyone else) that I DID NOT start this situation. Your faulting me is unwarranted.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 08-13-2020 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Added information.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:46 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 Black vs Brown LENOX

OK, let's get this LENOX train back on it's mainline track. Listed here (in color) are the T206 subjects that are confirmed Brown LENOX cards.
They are interleaved with subjects that are possible Brown LENOX candidates.

Thanks to Ryan for starting this thread. And, thanks to Bryan (Post #18), we have added one new confirmed Brown LENOX....Crawford (bat).
If we continue this train rolling down the tracks, perhaps we will discover another new Brown LENOX card (or even more). There are 12 more
possible subjects.

Hey guys, take a good close look at your LENOX cards. You may be surprised to find a Brown LENOX hiding in your T206 collection

CONFIRMED (25 subjects)......... and, additional possible Candidates that eventually may be confirmed.

Berger

Bradley (bat)
Burch (fielding)
Chase (trophy)
Cobb (bat off shoulder)
Conroy (bat)
Crawford (bat)
Jennings (one hand)

Jennings (two hands)

Lajoie (bat)
Jordan (bat)
Lake (no ball)
Latham
Leach (cap)
Leifield (bat)
Manning (pitching)
Marquard (pitching)
McQuillan (bat)
Merkle (throwing)

Mullin (bat)

Overall (yellow sky)

Pelty (vertical)

Pfeister (throwing)
Schlei (portrait)

Schlei (batting)
Schaefer (Washington)
Seymour (portrait)

F. Smith (Chicago & Boston)

Steinfeldt (bat)
Tinker (bat off shoulder)

Wagner (bat on right shoulder)

Doc White (pitching)
Wilhelm (bat)

Willetts
Willis (bat)
Wiltse (portrait-cap)

Wiltse (pitching)

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 08-17-2020 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:25 AM

HA has this listed as brown. Can we confirm it is Brown and not Black?

A71-DF2-E4-B643-46-B8-8208-5-E0953241961
43-DC7-DD1-9-DEA-4-ACE-A19-B-A9-EF9-F76-D461
Old 06-18-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
This is not my card, but it looks like it is unconfirmed. PSA doesn't call it brown, but I think it is.
From the prior post it looks like this same card was relabeled as black with PSA

E206-A907-70-C0-43-DF-927-B-D68-D46-C7-B2-AD
Old 06-18-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maculay1979 View Post
HA has this listed as brown. Can we confirm it is Brown and not Black?

A71-DF2-E4-B643-46-B8-8208-5-E0953241961
43-DC7-DD1-9-DEA-4-ACE-A19-B-A9-EF9-F76-D461
I need to see it in hand, but I would bet heavy the BVG is a BLACK Lenox. The PSA one, which I bought last night, is almost certainly brown and PSA messed it up. Compare to the tinker brown Lenox I bought (I also own 7-8 other browns). PSA messes up all the time and this is one of those cases; it will eventually be reholdered properly by SGC. What surprises me is the Heritage description calling the BVG brown.

Ted, you can put the Tinker into the confirmed list

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 06-18-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:15 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Ryan

Your request regarding Tinker is done, Here's the new updated Brown LENOX checklist......

Listed here (in brown color) are the T206 subjects that have been confirmed with Brown LENOX backs. They are interleaved with subjects (in
black color) that are possible Brown LENOX candidates.

Let's continue this train rolling down the tracks, perhaps we will discover another new Brown LENOX card (or even more). There are 11 more
possible subjects.

Hey guys, take a good close look at your LENOX cards. You may be surprised to find a Brown LENOX hiding in your T206 collection

CONFIRMED (26 Brown LENOX subjects)......... and, additional possible Candidates that eventually may be confirmed.

Berger

Bradley (bat)
Burch (fielding)
Chase (trophy)
Cobb (bat off shoulder)
Conroy (bat)
Crawford (bat)
Jennings (one hand)

Jennings (two hands)

Lajoie (bat)
Jordan (bat)
Lake (no ball)
Latham
Leach (cap)
Leifield (bat)
Manning (pitching)
Marquard (pitching)
McQuillan (bat)
Merkle (throwing)

Mullin (bat)

Overall (yellow sky)

Pelty (vertical)

Pfeister (throwing)
Schlei (portrait)

Schlei (batting)
Schaefer (Washington)
Seymour (portrait)

F. Smith (Chicago & Boston)

Steinfeldt (bat)

Tinker (bat off shoulder)
Wagner (bat on right shoulder)

Doc White (pitching)
Wilhelm (bat)

Willetts
Willis (bat)
Wiltse (portrait-cap)

Wiltse (pitching)

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 06-18-2021, 05:32 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I need to see it in hand, but I would bet heavy the BVG is a BLACK Lenox. The PSA one, which I bought last night, is almost certainly brown and PSA messed it up. Compare to the tinker brown Lenox I bought (I also own 7-8 other browns). PSA messes up all the time and this is one of those cases; it will eventually be reholdered properly by SGC. What surprises me is the Heritage description calling the BVG brown.

Ted, you can put the Tinker into the confirmed list
The BVG is definitely brown.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:43 PM

Attachment 464741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
The BVG is definitely brown.
Respectfully, I don’t agree. I put pics of the BVG and PSA up against several blacks and browns before going after the PSA one and passing on the BVG. To me, the BVG looked much more like the black backs than the browns. I then sent comparisons to folks on this site whose t206 opinion I very much respect for second opinions, all of whom agreed the PSA was brown and the BVG likely black. I think Heritage blew the description on the BVG (hardly unheard of) and PSA blew the description of the brown it encapsulated (even less unheard of). I guess we will never truly know unless/until they are in hand abs compared to each other and other blacks and browns. But here they are back to back (pun intended). The first is the psa Crawford, the second the BVG, and the third one is my Marquard black Lenox
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA390E75-5CCA-4E2B-9098-B551CB54A983.jpg (9.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 5D78C8AA-96C4-495B-AB2B-88D2382E6ACE.jpg (10.9 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg 46687427-281A-4785-872B-03118D3D4AC4.jpg (10.4 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 06-18-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:19 PM
Scott Russell

I see exactly one brown above.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 06-18-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:57 AM

I agree with Ryan. I'm one of the "folks" he mentioned. I cannot imagine the BVG example being anything other than Black. And the PSA 1 looks as Brown as a tree trunk to me.

Great pick ups Ryan.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:08 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
I agree with Ryan. I'm one of the "folks" he mentioned. I cannot imagine the BVG example being anything other than Black. And the PSA 1 looks as Brown as a tree trunk to me.

Great pick ups Ryan.
+1. The BVG looks like faded black, not brown IMO.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:55 AM
P@trick R.omolo

The brown Lenox aren't like the brown Old Mills they vary a lot. There are
several different shades from a brown similar to the Old Mills to a dark brown that has a purplish shade.

Chase 1.jpgChase 2.jpg

McQuillan 1.jpgMcQuillan 3.jpg

The Crawford is the darker brown that's harder to tell here it is between two black Lenox from the same auction

05.jpg

If you had it in hand and put it next to a black it would stand out more than it does in a scan.

I adjusted the saturation so it shows the difference better this is the same image as above.

05 - Copy.jpg

Last edited by Pat R; 06-19-2021 at 08:08 AM. Reason: added adjusted scan
Old 06-19-2021, 08:46 AM

That saturation definitely seems to indicate brown. Would saturation make a faded black look brown?
Old 06-19-2021, 08:50 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maculay1979 View Post
That saturation definitely seems to indicate brown. Would saturation make a faded black look brown?
No here's the Crawford in question on the left next to a another black Lenox
that's pretty worn.

05 - Copy (2).jpg

Last edited by Pat R; 06-19-2021 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:43 AM

Not that this has much to do with the discussion at hand, but there are some serious oddities surrounding both cards. The fact that one is in a BVG flip, is suspect enough, but the fact this BVG card came from the David Hall collection, which means it by all right should have been in a psa flip, makes it much more suspect. Plus, the BVG flip does not mention brown, only heritage does. The Crawford I bought, which is clearly brown, resides in a mislabeled PSA flip that Hall could easily have had fixed. Also, Hall was putting together a master set, not hoarding same front/back combos. Did he really think the psa was black and the BVG brown (even though it does not say brown). Just seems odd he would have two browns, and the psa one is undoubtedly brown.

As an aside, I own a Yellow Chance portrait Carolina Brights in an SGC flip that Hall used to own, and I thought it very odd that it remaining in an SGC holder. But I am less suspect about SGC doing it’s job and the card is clearly a Carlin’s brights, not a questionable color variation…
Old 06-19-2021, 02:10 PM

FWIW, that Chase w/ Trophy looks like a Black Lenox to me, even though it's labeled Brown. I suppose in hand is a different story.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:24 PM

My Lenox
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206lenoxcamnitz.jpg (81.1 KB, 79 views)