NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-04-2020, 01:30 PM

Default Faded signatures on 1977 Yankees Ball

Hello everyone...I am new here. I would like to take this ball somewhere to be looked at but only venturing out on a "Needs" basis (social distancing). So, hubby suggested I try a forum. Appreciate any comments and opinions on this...
I have a Yankees signed baseball with REALLY faded signatures. Based on the signatures I was able to identify, I think it was 1977.
Originally, I thought it could have been 77, 78 or 79 based on the 1st few players I was able to make out. But then I researched Dave Kingman and he did not play in 78 or 79 for the Yankees...so, that means it's 1977? (hope my research was accurate)
There are some names I cannot read, but here is the list I have so far:
Roy White, Chris Chambliss, Bucky Dent, Reggie Jackson, Ron Guidry, Dave Kingman, George Zeber, Lou Piniella, Fred Stanley, Sparky Lyle, Cliff Johnson & Mickey Rivers.
The pictures I am posting are in duplicate. Color photo shows how faded they are. The black and white is helpful to make out signature. I have to attach separately
Is a ball this faded basically worthless?
Appreciate your input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200802_144535.jpg (54.2 KB, 183 views)
Old 08-04-2020, 01:31 PM

Default 2nd of 4 pics

continued from above
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200802_144600.jpg (68.3 KB, 180 views)
Old 08-04-2020, 01:32 PM

Default 3rd of 4 pics

continued from above
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200802_144119.jpg (74.9 KB, 181 views)
Old 08-04-2020, 01:33 PM

Default 4th of 4 pics

continued from above
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200802_144251.jpg (52.6 KB, 177 views)
Old 08-04-2020, 01:38 PM
Bill H@e1ig

It appears to be one of those souvenir machine print "signed" balls that were sold at the souvenir stands and not actually hand signed by the players.

Others will chime in but I don't see any value here unfortunately...(other than a ball for the neighborhood kids to use for a catch).
Old 08-04-2020, 02:21 PM
Rob

Welcome, Layla! Unfortunately, I have to agree with roar's opinion.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:40 PM

Default thanks

THANKS Bill & Rob
Old 08-04-2020, 03:18 PM
Curt

I agree about the preprint as well, rendering that ball worth about as much as a dog's chew toy or a toss around ball for some kids. The good news is that it was not an authentic ball, which would have made the fading much harder to stomach!

As a young boy, I somehow got my hands on a 1960s Angels signed ball, before I came to understand and appreciate collectibles. I played with and ruined it. I only came to understand my mistake later in life, after the ball was long gone.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:19 PM
Al

Hello The ball is known as a Facsimile ball. The signatures are stamp printed on the hide and then stitched together. That is why sometimes the signatures appear to go into the stitch holes. And sadly that ball isnt worth very much (if nothing at all) Let the kids have fun with it as the others have said!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 08-04-2020, 11:05 PM
Steve Birmingham

That's sooo weird.. Kingman only played in 8 games for the Yankees in 77.

I wouldn't think they had time or inclination to print a souvenir ball with a guy who basically showed up to play DH for the last couple weeks. But there it is.

He did hit 4 homers in his 8 games, including a monster at Fenway.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:27 AM

Hi everyone

this thread triggered a similar and related question:

I have a 1956 Dodgers WS ball...really faded as well but with some key signatures.

are there any legitimate and industry-recognized ways of "restoring" such an item, similar to how professionals would refresh artwork, without rendering worthless as "restored" or "altered"? The signatures are equally if not more faded than those on Layla's facsimile ball...seems a shame to not try and help improve its state of being whether we try to sell it or not...its a cool piece

thanks
Mike
Old 08-06-2020, 05:28 PM
Curt

It would have been all about when the balls were made. I was doing some research on the RC Cola iron-on sheets, specifically the A's. I don't recall the specifics now, but the issue period was very small, less than 2 months, given 2-3 of the players featured on the sheet were with the team only for a very brief time. I am not talking games played either, this was from the time they were signed until the time they were traded/released. Just good timing for Kingman to be included probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That's sooo weird.. Kingman only played in 8 games for the Yankees in 77.

I wouldn't think they had time or inclination to print a souvenir ball with a guy who basically showed up to play DH for the last couple weeks. But there it is.

He did hit 4 homers in his 8 games, including a monster at Fenway.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:29 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
It would have been all about when the balls were made. I was doing some research on the RC Cola iron-on sheets, specifically the A's. I don't recall the specifics now, but the issue period was very small, less than 2 months, given 2-3 of the players featured on the sheet were with the team only for a very brief time. I am not talking games played either, this was from the time they were signed until the time they were traded/released. Just good timing for Kingman to be included probably.
That's interesting, a lot of stuff back then was around then not and pretty suddenly.

My thinking was more that by the last couple weeks of the season they had already made all the souvenir balls they were going to make. Kingman wasn't around for 78, becoming a free agent Nov 2. He was only signed on September 15, so he wasn't eligible for the World Series.

I don't know how quick they could get souvenir balls made, but that's a pretty brief window to sell them, unless they carried them over into the spring.