NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: scott

how many of you collect sets and which ones and why?
scott

Old 05-04-2005, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: T206Collector

It's the big one. It's the famous one. It's quite pretty. It's also got so much variety and subtlety that keep me interested and develop my knowledge of the history of the game and also of American history. Also, most of it is readily available on ebay. So, a consistent long-term approach makes collecting the complete set (sans the big 3) and then upgrading it a realistic possibility.

Old 05-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: JimB

I have been a set collector and may be shifting. I completed the T206 set a few months ago. I also have an E93 set for which I am always trying to find upgrades. I love both of these sets. They are both full of really beautiful cards and are classics. The E93 set is particularly nice because it is so good looking and has such a high percentage of HOFs, yet with only 30 total cards, it is a manageable set.

That said, I recently sold my E95s (80% of the set) and am thinking of shifting more towards individual cards of interest than sets. more freedom
JimB

Old 05-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: warshawlaw

I collect only those sets that I feel I have a shot a completing without bankrupting myself. Basically, I collect Exhibit sets and boxing (T218, T220; already finished the 1948 Leaf and don't really care about the rest in set form), plus some fun non-sports (vintage Bond, Kung Fu, Good Guys and Bad Guys, etc.) sets. Commons in core baseball sets are just too expensive relative to the enjoyment I get from them.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: will watson

i have yet to find a set that i would bother collecting in its entirety. the main reason being because i refuse to buy cards i don't find visually attractive. for example, i love T206's and '33 Goudeys. i regularly buy cards with cool action shots from these sets, but i usually stay away from portrait and posed type cards. for some reason, they rarely grab my attention. not sure why, probably because most of em are staged, with bland background colors. i usually stick to type sets, where i have 100% freedom to collect only what i want.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I have complete Topps sets from 1955 to the present; as for the older cards, collecting an entire set in high grade is ususally just too expensive.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: John J. Grillo

warshawlaw...i collect vintage boxing too. I recently completed the 1948 leaf and 1951 ringside set minus the 48 graziano...just curious as to whether or not you have the 48 graziano.

I also collect T220...i have the basic set and I am working on separate silver border and tolstoi-only sets as well.

as far as baseball, I collect T-205/6/7 boston american and boston nationals.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Mark Holt

I do sets....probably some sort of compulsive disorder. R327s, HOF Type sets. Prewar Hockey - C55, V252, V288. Mid grade since that's all I can afford.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: cn

I like the challenge of trying to put together the T-206 minus the big three plus I am trying to finish the B-18 Blankets set and Colgans chips. I like the variety of three totally different types of sets.

Old 05-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Andrew

What a timely question. Just today, I obtained the missing card for a complete 1965 - 1994 OPC baseball set run. I realize this is a vintage forum, but in the OPC world pre-1976 is vintage (have never seen complete '65 or '74 sets offered, partial yes.) I rarely post here, but read the posts daily and find the education priceless.

On a side note, I ventured into pre-war as I was the one who purhcased the '33 George Miller Ivy Andrews diamond punch recently offered on Mastro.

“A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.” - English Proverb

Old 05-04-2005, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: David Yoken

the 1957 Topps Master set. I am only 5 cards short now (3 from the full set).
Trying to put together any pre-war set would be completely cost prohibitive for me (as much as I wish I could do it!), but if I could, it would be the 33 Goudey set. lol!

Edited for spelling...

Old 05-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Richard Masson

I like them better than the same Topps sets because they have all the stars, but half the bulk.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: eric-gi

I collect a variety of sets - mostly boxing and non-sports. I have most of the T218 set, most of the T220 white border set, and need only 7 cards to finish the T220 silver border set. I also have about two-thirds of the T36 auto-drivers set. I've also got sets of tobacco silks and blankets.
I stopped collecting vintage baseball cards a long time ago. When the slabbing craze hit and a $100 card in nm condition suddenly went for $500 as a PSA 8, I knew it was time for me to get out of the baseball card market. I've always been a set collector and so I just changed my collecting interests from vintage baseball to vintage boxing and non-sports. It was an easy transition for me. I just don't have the money to assemble sets of T205, T206, etc.

Also, I see the name Dan Mckee on here. Is this the same red haired Dan Mckee from the Baltimore area? He used to sell baseball cards at shows in the Washington DC area.

Eric

Old 05-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Dave

I am only collecting the Monster right now. I wasn't a collector of anything until about a year ago, when I was given a set of T206 cards, originally collected by older relatives. Sounds like a scam, but true in this case.

The idea was that I would figure the best way to liquidate them. It took less than 10 minutes to turn me into a collector rather than a sellar. I'm now only about 20 cards away from completion - minus the big ones.

I did get some T205 and T210, but not enought to give me a focus.

When I complete the T206, I don't know where I'll turn, but I do love vintage cards.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Josh K.

Generally I dont collect sets, instead I focus on individual cards of HOF players. However, after buying an e98 Wagner several months ago, I decided to try to put together the entire set. The set has so many HOFers it isnt a far cry from my normal pursuits and is relatively small, and therefore I feel like completion is actually possible.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

It isn't part of a full set; a full set is a 7 x 7 sheet (49 cards). It is unclear whether the Graziano was ever issued or whether it is a test card that slipped out.

I'm really not differentiating between T218 and T220 brands or silver and regular border cards, just trying for the nicest mixed sets I can assemble.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: jay behrens

Although I am not really a working a set other than my player set, I wouldn't mind having a complete set m116s as a subset of my player set. Same goes for 41 Goudeys.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I do not collect complete sets of baseball cards, but I do for non-sports 1938-1957 + N2.

For baseball I assemble theme sets. A few examples of these theme sets include: 20th Century 500 HR club, Ex-Negro Leaguers who made it to MLB, The 350+ wins pitchers, etc. I am working on many themes and have completed almost none, yet I feel that I have assembled almost half of the cards which I need.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Chuck R

I'd chime in with Gilbert. I collect 30's nonsports and have probably finished about 50-60 sets between R1 and R180. The set length is often shorter than for baseball sets, though some of the 24-card sets (like R144 Strange True Stories) and 48-card sets (R21 Believe it or Not) are killers to complete. Also (and this will be heresy here so I'll start running when I finish typing) there's a lot more variety of images within the nonsports sets. The Goudey Indian Gum and National Chicle Skybirds are every bit at beautiful as their baseball and football brothers and quite a bit cheaper to finish in nice condition. And really, with baseball cards (I'm putting on my track shoes) 99% of the cards show a guy batting, pitching or fielding...not too compelling after the first 200 or 300 cards in the set to me. Don't get me wrong, I do have some much loved baseball sets (53 Topps and quite a few t206s), but after about 20 years of collecting baseball I crossed over to the dark side of vintage nonsports back in the mid-90's.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: leon

I collect all kinds of crap. Mainly I want a set of ACC type cards. Is that a set? I also collect set's of E94 overprints and M101-4/5 backs...so even as a predominantly type card collector I know the thrill of completion...regards

Old 05-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Josh A.

I am currently collecting the 1933 Goudey set. I love the colors, artwork and design of these cards. Ever since I was young, I thought this set had tremendous appeal. Now that I have some cash to spend, it is really fun putting the set together.

When I'm done with the '33 Goudey, I plan on moving to the '41 Playball.

"I'm thinking about getting a plasma T.V., in case I need a transfusion."- Steven Wright

Old 05-05-2005, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: pete

As a kid I'd collect topps sets...I had 77-82 at one point. When fleer and donruss hit the scene this became more expensive. I used to collect star cards as well along with any bargain I saw. After I sold most of my collection to buy a 77 camaro after I wrecked my 76 granada in high school I dropped out of the hobby for a few years. When I returned in college in 90' or so I became a type collector of vintage cards. I now collect mostly type cards and any bargain vintage I can find!!!

Old 05-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Bill Kasel

E95's and T206 HOF Portraits right now.

I'm also a big fan of the horizontal poses for any/all T or E cards.

Bill

"The beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert"

Old 05-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Richard Lloyd

I am working HARD on the W-cards in general.. many issues are easy to find and the cost is reasonable..

However,I have collected over 50 Full or near SETS of Regional/Food cards such as 1952 coke tips, 1952 Knowles Service Station,1949 Sunbeam Pureta, 1958 Bond Bread, 1959 Darigolds, 1941 W575 reds team issue, 1960 Lake-to-Lake, 1954 Red heart, 1952 Laval Dairy baseball, 1952 Parkhurst baseball, 1946-47 propagandas montiel los reyes del deporte, 1952 victoria cuban, 1950 big league, 1943-47 centennial flour,1943 grand studio(brewers),1957 hollywood stars, 1956 and 57 ohamh cardinals,1953 sf seals,1963 scheible press,1966 Royal crown cola with TABS just to name a few.. I have many more sets that are minor league/major league from the 40's, 50's and early 60's

Best

Old 05-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Bob D

I am working on the T206 (minus the biggies) in low grade ave about F/G. I've three family members entering college in 2-3 years so I don't spend much.

When I has single w/ more disposable cach I completed the 34 Goudey and just need 1 Gehrig to complete the 33 Goudey (minus Lajoie). Ave condition VG w/ stars F-G.

I think that when everyone is through college and I've a bit more $$$ I may go back to the 33 Goudey (really love that set) and upgrade some of the cards to the VG/EX range, anything above that I don't think is worth the extra money. I kinda like my old cards to look like old cards.

Also am working on the 39/41 PBs. I mat eventually sell these or use for trading. I can't see myself buying the DiMaggio in either set and the 39 hi numbers turn me off.

Old 05-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: jay behrens

Chuck, I would have to disagree with you on the quality of art in the Indian Gum set. I owned comlpete sets of most Wild West and Indian themed cards and stopped collecting the Indian Gum cards becuase the srtwork so primative compared to baseball counterparts and the whole Wild West Genre in general.

I will agree though that the artwork on most 30s non-sports issues are as good or better than the baseball cards and much eyecatching. I've seriously thought about chasing a number of the 30s non-sports issuess, but with my new focus on my players, Ineed to stop my side ventures in to new areas that don't help further the player set.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Geoff Litwack

My progression is a common one, I think: I work on a set that I think is really old, finish it, sell it, and work on something even older. Right now I'm almost done with 1933 World Wide Gum (when I started, I thought: hey, half as many Ruths as '33 Goudey), done with Diamond Stars, done with '41 Play Ball (although I sold off everything but the key HOFs), eighty cards and $1046 into a low-grade T207 set, fifteen short of the first series of Gum, Inc. Superman, and 11/50 on Allen & Ginter Arms of All Nations. I'd love to start on Old Judge, but short of the entire US economy collapsing, I think they'll remain price-prohibitive for me.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

I picked up six of these at a show recently (Custer, Bowie, Crockett, Carson, Hickok and Boone) for $100. I must admit to being disappointed with the artwork on them as compared to not only the baseball cards but also many other western related sets, esp. the N sets. I collect western-themed cards too. I have the N28 and N162 Buffalo Bill cards and some day I hope to own an SF Hess Buffalo Bill or a Buffalo Bill cabinet card.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

I'm mostly a singles buyer, but I have compiled a few sets-- E-95, E-96, T202, R333, 1954 & 1961 topps. I also own all the major sets from 1970 to 1990 and many others from 1990 to present(not proud of those, just being honest). I do favor the present day heritage sets as well as legendary cut signatures.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Glenn

Very slowly but surely I'm working on N28 and T207, and I've really just begun on those. I like the variety of sports in the N28 set, and I think the T207s are a bargain compared to other T cards. Some people think they're ugly I guess. Good. The only pre-war complete set I own is the 50 card 1938 Churchman's boxing, hardly a challenge since there's usually a complete set up on ebay.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Julie

I have the '56 Topps set, all but about 20 of the T202s, all the Scrapps and all the basebasll N162s. Everytime I add a card from the 19th century, it's like a whole set. 27 Old Judges..hey, I started out with 1! Oh the marks on the back are only light glue residue--nothing missing.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: scott brockelman

the main idea of the tobacco and caramel card marketers was to entice the buyer to try and complete the set or sets they were issuing. many time they complicated matters AND pumped up sales with short prints, skip numbered series and even the occasional non-issued card to create the "chase cards" of the early 20th century.

i have always been of the opinion that each set should be collected in it's entirety. you can also go to the extreme and collect variations, both catalogued and others(such as back combinations, print variations, etc).

while type collecting is great for a broad spectrum presentation of various issues, set collecting is as tough or tougher. rare type cards are hard to find and so are no name commons of many sets. to each the thrill of the hunt is reason for pushing on.

i have completed T201,204,205(no hobby-no stats), T206 sans wagner, T207, t209 color, T212 09's & 11's, quit on 1910's about 10 cards short. in a couple of sets i have traded one or 2 cards away and now need a replacement. still workin on T209 B&W's T210's and T211's. E cards, i have completed, E95 & 96, and am close on E93, 94, 97 & 107. also have M116 complete. the reason i point these out is the endless hours of hunting for the last few commons was extreme and quite a relief/victory when that final hole was plugged.

type collecting is mostly about the amount of money you have to spend, set collecting is about the amount of time and patience and commitment you have, to do it like the kids of the early 1900's.

scott

Old 05-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

set collecting is ROUGH, especially with prewar stuff. You can go years, as I have, missing only one or two cards to complete a set. I have nearly quit more than once on some of my sets.

Now player collecting, that is something I do too. Lefty O'Doul and Al Rosen are my current chases. Until you've tried it, you cannot imagine how tough it is to find some of the really obscure regionals, especially the postwar stuff.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Jay and Adam: Well, you're probably right about Indian Gum. I guess I just threw that out as it had a parallel baseball counterpart. It does have beautiful color, but the artwork itself is, as you said, not that great. A better example of a set with really nice artwork from the 30's would be something like True Spy Stories.

By the way, I didn't mean in my post to knock baseball card artwork in general. It's hard to beat the artwork on things like the Turkey Reds. The point I was trying to make was that I personally find the huge baseball card sets based on photos to get tiresome after a while.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: Glen V

Until you get to the obscure types, type collecting isn't about having lots of money. Its just the opposite. You can pick up a run of common E90-E107 fairly cheap compared to trying to complete a set and paying for a Cy Young, Wagner, Cobb, W. Johnson, Joe Jackson, etc. I'll agree that completing a set is a major accomplishment, but the standard sets can be just a matter of money too. Shoot, a number of complete sets can be bought from Mastro for the right price. One problem with type collecting is that its never complete. But then again, most T206 collectors never get that Wagner either.

Old 05-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

Posted By: leon

I politely disagree. As Glen said type collecting is the opposite. Try completing the ACC type set? It's not about money it's about patience. Don't get me wrong it helps to have money but it's about patience. No choice. Talk to ya soon. regards

Old 05-06-2005, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Default set collectors?

In my quest to secure a type card for each card from R1-R200, I am down to about 15-20 cards, most of which I have never seen for sale anywhere. On some days I am convinced that Burdick dreamed them up just to taunt me. Patience(or a healthy sense of humor) is the key.