NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2020, 12:56 PM
JB

Yep.... no tracking updates and taking wayyyyy to long to travel a few states!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Successful transactions with: HRBAKER, CHADDURBIN,DRDDUET,DOUBLEP,T213, RM444, MJSILVEY80, CHARLIETHEEXTERMINATOR,QUINNSRYCHE,PROFHOLT82,EJST EL,OHIOCARDCOLLECTOR
Old 12-06-2020, 04:41 PM
Andrew

So get this: a letter carrier just rang our doorbell and dropped off, count ‘em, 15 packages on a Sunday. With an apology that they had been backed up. We are in the process of putting up our Christmas tree - it’s like Santa came early.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:52 PM
Joe M.

With Christmas coming up I wouldn’t mail any cards right now. Wait until after New Years. Where I live we have 1 place to pick up mail 800 boxes locked. The mail person has more mail than I have ever seen every day. Christmas mail hasn’t even started yet. Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 12-07-2020, 10:24 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default USPS bogging down again

Here is my wacky USPS story for the day:

I had a modern auto PSA 10, nothing super high end but not dirt cheap either - that I had bought on eBay before Thanksgiving, 11/23. That same day the seller printed the label, my tracking number popped, and then the card went on radio silence. The week after, I reached out to the seller to see if he had actually mailed the card, due to the fact that all I could tell from the tracking label was that it had been printed. He said he dropped it off with the PO in Georgia the same day he printed the label. Card should have been here like 12/1 right? Or even sooner, I'm in NC. Nothing for more than a solid week in terms of tracking updates. I was preparing to open an eBay case this morning, when the tracking number suddenly updated to say it was out for delivery in my zip code. And indeed it was delivered a few hours later, the card is now sitting next to my laptop as I write this. Weirdness though, no other tracking hits. It still only shows that the label was printed, and then that it was delivered. No record of leaving a post office, or getting to the regional hub in Greensboro, NC (which all of our mail goes through...)

The holidays are indeed a weird time to play with the physical mail aspect of the hobby...

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-07-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:32 AM
Pete Sycks

I sent something from MN to NJ. It was last tracked in New Jersey a week ago and just keeps bouncing around there. Kind of amazing that it takes a week to travel 100+ miles.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 12-07-2020, 10:56 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default PO

When I was still working at our local PO, we were receiving 300-400 packages per day for our 5 routes. When Amazon kicked in, the number jumped to 600-700 per day. I'm not working any longer, but I go to the PO every day to mail eBay packages, and I'm told that a normal day is 1200 to 1400 packages. Remember, this is a small 5 route office. So they are delivering all of these packages, in addition to the regular mail.

Most of the Post Offices in this area are short-staffed. Current employees are quitting because of the mental and physical stress. Newly hired people are quitting after 2-3 days and no one seems to want to work for the Post Office. Of course, the PO, being a government agency, takes months to get someone hired and trained. Plus, many of the clerks and carriers have had to stay home to quarantine after coming down with the Corona virus. The newly hired employees are on a much lower pay scale than employees who were hired 15-20 years ago, so the job doesn't pay enough to pay your bills, unless you work a lot of OT. Plus, the part-time employees are now delivering Amazon on Sunday, so it can turn into a 7 day a week job.

I could go on for hours about the problems with the Postal Service, but I won't.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:52 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I could go on for hours about the problems with the Postal Service, but I won't.
I should be clear that my posts are not necessarily 100% complaining. I realize the USPS is a far from perfect government institution, and that said - over the past 21+ years I have been buying and selling cards online - they probably have a 99%+ rate of success. It just seems that with the ebbs and flows of 2020, the service has gotten weirder / less consistent - if not exactly "worse" since in the same percentage of cases but a very few I still eventually get my cards.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:51 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

It seems to be registered mail that has the issues.
-I ordered some cards from Beckett Marketplace shipped on 12/3 (thurs) that arrived today from NV. that is fast delivery.
- another regular tracked mail shipped on Dec 1 that arrived today

It is the 3-day registered mail that I sent from NY on Nov 30, has just left NY today (after sitting at 2 different locations) At least I know it is moving,...
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 12-07-2020, 03:56 PM
Bill Roberts

I do not think there is such a thing as three-day registered mail.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:06 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Express Mail is the only way to go.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:49 PM

I swear the tracking will make you nuts. I had an item arrive today (in only 3 days after ordering!) before it shipped!
Old 12-07-2020, 06:23 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Express Mail is the only way to go.
sending a stack of cards to SGC it was strongly suggested to use registered mail with insurance.... otherwise, I would not have used registered

but it is definitely 3-day Priority mail, registered, with lots of insurance.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 12-07-2020, 06:43 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
sending a stack of cards to SGC it was strongly suggested to use registered mail with insurance.... otherwise, I would not have used registered

but it is definitely 3-day Priority mail, registered, with lots of insurance.
Agree Yes Def Registered On very expensive cards is the best. It will take a little longer but that’s fine with me. It will be under lock and key.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:39 AM
Jay Shumsky

I have a number of packages I shipped recently or are waiting to receive, and tracking updates are few and far between. Several just show In Transit. Found out today that something I shipped was actually delivered last Friday or Saturday, but as of today, tracking still showing Out for Delivery (for the fourth straight day) with a message of Awaiting Delivery Scan. Apparently it was delivered but not scanned as such which makes things even more difficult to keep track of.

Good news is that my REA winnings got delivered by USPS without too much difficulty. Of course, I probably only live about 60 miles from REA so that might have helped.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:46 AM
Andrew

Quote:
Of course, I probably only live about 60 miles from REA so that might have helped.
I live two blocks from our post office, and it hasn't seemed to help me much!
Old 12-15-2020, 11:00 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
I swear the tracking will make you nuts. I had an item arrive today (in only 3 days after ordering!) before it shipped!
This is true. With ebay winnings recently I've discovered some PO's that don't scan in outgoing mail. So as a result I've had at least one delivery that was only showing the shipping label printed, and then like 10 days later went immediately to Out For Delivery.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:00 AM
Andy Wa.lko

I had a package take 2 weeks to get to Virginia from Ohio, and another one sent Priority from Wisconsin that took 9 days to get to VA. The good news is it seems like everything shows up eventually, for me so far anyway. The media is finally starting to report on this more as well.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ckages-delays/
Old 12-15-2020, 11:08 AM
Patrick

Well since I said that I hadn't had any issues last week I've had 2 packages slip into the mystery "in transit, delivering late" status. 1 coming from pennsylvania and the other from New Hampshire. So we shall see how long it takes for them to arrive. I guess I shouldn't have said anything, karma caught up to me I guess lol
Old 12-15-2020, 07:20 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

I have cards I bought almost a month ago still in transit. You only get 30 days to open a case so if they do not arrive what do you do? I have to open a case ...in case they are lost. It’s a bummer!

Last edited by Popcorn; 12-16-2020 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:14 PM
Todd Jenkins

Default Sgc ??????

I sent one card in on August 20th to SGC and I am still waiting for it. I complained and was told they grade them as received. They also told me no later than mid December. Well its mid December and it is still in the post grading process. Pretty frustrating! It was supposed to be a Christmas present. No way it gets here for Christmas. Frustrated with both USPS and SGC.

[https://www.flickr.com/photos/187700522@N03/

Recent positve trades with: Brian Van Horn, frank bmd, nkesterke09, ajg, esehombre, mrmantlecollector, KC Doughboy, gregr2,bn2cardz, sycks22

Last edited by tjenkins; 12-15-2020 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:15 PM
Matt

Anyone have any experience with eBay claims . I sold an item on dec 3 , shipped usps priority mail the 4th , last scan the 7th and nothing since . Buyer opened a case today and PayPal yanked the money so I have a few days for it to show up or im out the $ and the bat .

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 12-15-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGHPro View Post
Anyone have any experience with eBay claims . I sold an item on dec 3 , shipped usps priority mail the 4th , last scan the 7th and nothing since . Buyer opened a case today and PayPal yanked the money so I have a few days for it to show up or im out the $ and the bat .
Buyer needs to be more patient!
Old 12-15-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Ebay will continue to hold your money until it is delivered. But they seem to be giving extra time before they close the case. Make sure you contact the buyer and explain what is going on as they may not know. Also, the way the process works is they open a case as not received and then after a certain amount of time they have the option of "asking" ebay to step in. Hopefully if you explain to the buyer what is going on, they will never take that second step.

I sent a Priority package on Nov 24th and they opened a case on the 3rd then it was delivered on the 9th.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:19 AM
Matt

Thanks - I appreciate the info . Hopefully , it shows up sooner than later .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagechris View Post
Ebay will continue to hold your money until it is delivered. But they seem to be giving extra time before they close the case. Make sure you contact the buyer and explain what is going on as they may not know. Also, the way the process works is they open a case as not received and then after a certain amount of time they have the option of "asking" ebay to step in. Hopefully if you explain to the buyer what is going on, they will never take that second step.

I sent a Priority package on Nov 24th and they opened a case on the 3rd then it was delivered on the 9th.

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
Old 12-16-2020, 07:20 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I hear you. I live in Cary, and have been expecting a couple of packages that are stuck in the Greensboro Distribution Center. They were supposed to arrive right after Thanksgiving.
Raleigh here Natedog.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:23 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206BrownHindu View Post
Buyer needs to be more patient!
Uh, buyers also have to protect themselves. It's a bad situation because of how bad the post office is right now, but you can't blame a buyer for doing that.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:24 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Raleigh here Natedog.
Winston-Salem here. I feel you. All my stuff has to go through Greensboro. Recently the trend has been for it to just sit there for 3-5 days after arrival. I'm maybe 25 minutes from the distribution center.

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-16-2020 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:41 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Winston-Salem here. I feel you. All my stuff has to go through Greensboro. Recently the trend has been for it to just sit there for 3-5 days after arrival. I'm maybe 25 minutes from the distribution center.
Cool....there are a lot of us collectors here in NC.....
Old 12-16-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I ship a fair amount to a town right between the Greensboro and Raleigh USPS hubs. Can't begin to tell you how many times a parcel bounces back and forth between the two cities before somebody finally realizes it needs to be delivered to the right place. Adds a day or three to each mailing. Ridiculous.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:53 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I have one that says "out for delivery today - available for pickup"

Well which is it? It can't be both.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:56 AM

Default Usps

Sent a bat (Priority Mail) for delivery on November 2...arrived to the Elk Grove hub (Chicago area) on November 3...was here until November 25.....finally delivered to Florida on December 1.....had calls in everywhere and even filed a claim but it finally arrived to the buyer...
Old 12-16-2020, 08:17 AM
J0hn Collin$

LOL, the USPS just sent me a survey about my recent experiences. Anyone care to venture how that went?
Old 12-16-2020, 08:20 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
I ship a fair amount to a town right between the Greensboro and Raleigh USPS hubs. Can't begin to tell you how many times a parcel bounces back and forth between the two cities before somebody finally realizes it needs to be delivered to the right place. Adds a day or three to each mailing. Ridiculous.
They seem to get Winston-Salem right 99% of the time, but I have had a package from Greensboro land in a town way in the western part of the state before because it was sent to the wrong PO zip after the hub processed it. 3 days or so later they got it right.

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-16-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:45 AM
Howard Chasser

Default LOTS of delays

2 weeks from PA to NY
Old 12-16-2020, 09:57 AM
Mark

It took 11 days for a package to go from Dublin, OH to Columbus, OH. Another five days to reach Knoxville, TN where it has been sitting just three miles from my house for the past five days.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:01 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Cool....there are a lot of us collectors here in NC.....
Durham here. Our local folks are great here. Rarely have a problem. When the package gets close (meaning its somewhere in NC, no matter the original source), it's here quickly. Usually the day of or the day after Informed Delivery says. However sometimes there's a problem getting it out of the NJ or PA distribution centers, which is where I have had a couple for the past few days now. All bets are off on those.

My problem is, unless its expensive and I'm worried about it or some key item, I tend to forget what I've bought and it just shows up. LOL
Old 12-16-2020, 12:04 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
I have one that says "out for delivery today - available for pickup"

Well which is it? It can't be both.
Sure it can! They can deliver it to your address and you can pick it up off your rain drenched porch.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:54 PM
Randy

Quote:
since you shipped priority, there is some insurance provided.

15 days after you shipped, if it still has not been delivered or updated file a insurance claim.

get some of your $$$ back

Last edited by RL; 12-16-2020 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-16-2020, 02:05 PM

My REA winnings have been sitting in Newark for a week, just coming to Philly. I wake up each morning saying today is the day for some movement and nothing.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:53 PM
Matt

Thanks - didn't realize I could start a claim that early
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL View Post
since you shipped priority, there is some insurance provided.

14 days after you shipped, if it still has not been delivered or updated file a insurance claim.

get some of your $$$ back

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Old 12-16-2020, 03:12 PM
Randy

Quote:
Thanks - didn't realize I could start a claim that early
I just made a claim on the 13th, got approved on the 16th.
Hopefully they will mail the check quickly.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:23 PM
Dave Carson

Story on the mess at the Indy airport facility

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/ve...5-67a9f74858b1

I have five incoming packages that are “arriving late”. Looks like one just got out of the airport to downtown Indy after three days

So glad I sent my 89 year old mother’s Christmas presents via UPS. One day to Ohio. Mostly did it because they bring it to door versus mailbox at end of long drive.

Staying patient but frustrated. My studs has eventually been getting through. Hope that continues
Old 12-17-2020, 07:45 AM
J0hn Collin$

Greensboro NC hub ridiculousness update: I now have had a package sitting there since Monday morning with no movement. I'm literally 25 minutes down the road.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Greensboro NC hub ridiculousness update: I now have had a package sitting there since Monday morning with no movement. I'm literally 25 minutes down the road.
Yeah, things have basically ground to a halt. I got one package delivered today that I bought on the 1st. I have about a dozen others out there somewhere....including one purchased on 11/29 - which disappeared from the 29th to the 13th, only to get within 20 miles of me on the 13th and has sat there since.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:53 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
Yeah, things have basically ground to a halt. I got one package delivered today that I bought on the 1st. I have about a dozen others out there somewhere....including one purchased on 11/29 - which disappeared from the 29th to the 13th, only to get within 20 miles of me on the 13th and has sat there since.

Yeah I also have a lot more still outstanding...the one that’s been in Greensboro nearly a week now is just the most egregious example. I really hope the PO can somehow get straightened out in 2021.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:50 PM
JB

It’s been 10 days since I Shipped a card going 3 hours south of here...10 days!! Still no updates on tracking!

Successful transactions with: HRBAKER, CHADDURBIN,DRDDUET,DOUBLEP,T213, RM444, MJSILVEY80, CHARLIETHEEXTERMINATOR,QUINNSRYCHE,PROFHOLT82,EJST EL,OHIOCARDCOLLECTOR
Old 12-18-2020, 02:34 AM
Andy Wa.lko

The biggest issue is there seems to be no "first in first out" or any method to the madness at all. I've had packages zip through a hub in one day while other packages have been languishing at the same hub for a week or more (and still are).
Old 12-18-2020, 06:30 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime View Post
The biggest issue is there seems to be no "first in first out" or any method to the madness at all. I've had packages zip through a hub in one day while other packages have been languishing at the same hub for a week or more (and still are).
Yeah it's madness. I have one card I bought last week that is here, and then multiple the first week of December that are not.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:44 AM
Pete Sycks

I feel like under updates on the site instead of the date they should say "Good luck"

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 12-18-2020, 06:54 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
I sent something from MN to NJ. It was last tracked in New Jersey a week ago and just keeps bouncing around there. Kind of amazing that it takes a week to travel 100+ miles.
The Kearny, NJ mail hub has always been problematic. As part of my signed 1963 Fleer project, I sent off the Bob Gibson and Bill Mazeroski to a private signing a number of years ago. It literally spent a week leaving and returning to the Kearny sort facility before it was finally delivered two days past the deadline. Luckily, the company hosting the signing was gracious enough to get them in the signing or me.