NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-02-2022, 10:57 AM
Tony. Biviano

Default Buck Leonard Opinion

Took a chance on this in an auction. What do you think?

IMG_2331 by Tony Biviano, on Flickr
Old 01-02-2022, 07:15 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

It’s real . It’s a post - stroke signature . I never verified it from Buck himself when talking to him but I heard from some private signing guys that he had to learn to write with his other hand because the stroke affected his dominant signature side . I have about a dozen pre - stroke and the same number of post - stroke signatures .
His pre - stroke signature is really nice and legible . They are available if you look .
Old 01-02-2022, 07:38 PM
Tony. Biviano

Thank you for the info. Going to send to PSA/dna.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:05 PM

It will end up costing you more to get their opinion than the photo is worth.

The story that Kevin recounted above is true. I used to chat on the phone with Mr. Leonard many years ago, and I do believe he even mentioned it during a conversation.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:20 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default before and after?

Before and after --??

Last edited by Directly; 01-27-2024 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:37 PM

Those are both post-stroke. He signed with a quick hand before this.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:03 AM
+0m J()rd@N

I met Mr. Leonard in his home for a signing back in the 1990s and can attest that he signed these with his left hand after his stroke. Very slow and shaky, but you could tell he took pride in providing his signature. How many other HOFers would learn to write with another hand that late in life just to sign autographs for collectors? After the signing, he enjoyed a well earned cigar.

Of note, he had a small framed document hanging on his wall. Closer inspection revealed that it was a letter of congratulations from President Nixon on his election to the HOF.

What a gracious and humble gentleman.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 01-03-2022, 12:14 PM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
It will end up costing you more to get their opinion than the photo is worth.

The story that Kevin recounted above is true. I used to chat on the phone with Mr. Leonard many years ago, and I do believe he even mentioned it during a conversation.
Then I will post in the BST auction. Maybe a real fan can use it.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:41 PM
J@RR0D

I just want to give Tony a big, public THANK YOU. When I saw this thread, I PM'd him and asked how much he'd like for it, as my office at work has many photos of negro league players and I'd love to have it in there. Tony asked only that I pay shipping and sent it right out to me. What a stand-up gentleman. It's now framed and hangs next to Larry Doby and Jackie Robinson. Much obliged, sir.

Old 01-12-2022, 06:23 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
I just want to give Tony a big, public THANK YOU. When I saw this thread, I PM'd him and asked how much he'd like for it, as my office at work has many photos of negro league players and I'd love to have it in there. Tony asked only that I pay shipping and sent it right out to me. What a stand-up gentleman. It's now framed and hangs next to Larry Doby and Jackie Robinson. Much obliged, sir.

Love to hear stories like this. Well done Tony... a very considerate gesture for a fellow collector!
Old 01-12-2022, 06:48 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Props, Tony!
Old 01-12-2022, 11:33 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post

That's awesome! But also now we want to see pictures of the rest of them!