NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-28-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Gooden had extraordinary talent. One could argue Garvey did. Dave Parker at his best was pretty phenomenal. Do you support all of them? Colavito had a phenomenal five year stretch from 58-62 averaging 40 HR and well over 100RBI, does he get your vote? Hodges? George Foster was arguably the best hitter in the game, or close to it, for a few years in the mid-70s. It's a very slippery slope.
1st post on Net54.

I'm on the inclusionary side - the HOF should be for those that stood out amongst their peers. Parker was a beast in his time and was considered amongst the best in the game. Without getting into all the statistical detail, that's been done to death on this thread, he's a yes for me. Same as Hernandez.

But I also think the Hall needs a "Legends" or "Immortals" category. Just looking at the list of current HOFers there's a need for it.

Like an earlier poster I want to see and read about the players that were "huge" during the years I watched baseball. Dawson definitely belongs there, but so does Dale Murphy and Doc Gooden.

Having an "Immortals" section would elevate the Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Wagner and Aaron careers to where they belong. Best of the Best.

I believe the rest of the HOF should be about being the best of baseball during the period the players played - not comparing them to ghosts in past eras.

I also believe Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Sosa and others should be in. Rose and Shoeless too for that matter. Put an asterisk beside their names if you want. That was a good suggestion.

Don't forget to put asterisks next to the names of pitchers who cheated using spitters too though.

I like HOF discussions. Having 2% or so of players getting in seems about right to me as well. It's all in good fun anyways.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardboardTragic View Post
1st post on Net54.

I'm on the inclusionary side - the HOF should be for those that stood out amongst their peers. Parker was a beast in his time and was considered amongst the best in the game. Without getting into all the statistical detail, that's been done to death on this thread, he's a yes for me. Same as Hernandez.

But I also think the Hall needs a "Legends" or "Immortals" category. Just looking at the list of current HOFers there's a need for it.

Like an earlier poster I want to see and read about the players that were "huge" during the years I watched baseball. Dawson definitely belongs there, but so does Dale Murphy and Doc Gooden.

Having an "Immortals" section would elevate the Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Wagner and Aaron careers to where they belong. Best of the Best.

I believe the rest of the HOF should be about being the best of baseball during the period the players played - not comparing them to ghosts in past eras.

I also believe Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Sosa and others should be in. Rose and Shoeless too for that matter. Put an asterisk beside their names if you want. That was a good suggestion.

Don't forget to put asterisks next to the names of pitchers who cheated using spitters too though.

I like HOF discussions. Having 2% or so of players getting in seems about right to me as well. It's all in good fun anyways.
Welcome to the forum, CT. Nice first post.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:45 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default BEST of the BEST- IMO

Including only currently elected Hall-of-Famers:

RHP- Walter Johnson
RHP- Christy Mathewson
RHP- Grover Alexander
RHP- Cy Young
RHP- Bob Feller
RHP- Satchel Paige
RHP- Greg Maddux

LHP- Warren Spahn
LHP- Lefty Grove
LHP- Sandy Koufax

C- Johnny Bench
C- Yogi Berra
C- Josh Gibson

1B- Lou Gehrig
1B- Jimmie Foxx
1B- Hank Greenberg

2B- Joe Morgan
2B- Rogers Hornsby
2B- Jackie Robinson

SS- Honus Wagner
SS- Cal Ripken, Jr.
SS- Ozzie Smith
SS- Ernie Banks

3B- Mike Schmidt
3B- George Brett
3B- Eddie Mathews
3B- Brooks Robinson

LF- Ted Williams
LF- Stan Musial

CF- Willie Mays
CF- Ty Cobb
CF- Oscar Charleston
CF- Tris Speaker
CF- Mickey Mantle
CF- Joe DiMaggio

RF- Babe Ruth
RF- Hank Aaron
RF- Frank Robinson
RF- Roberto Clemente

MG- Casey Stengel
MG- John McGraw
Old 06-28-2014, 10:09 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Including only currently elected Hall-of-Famers:

RHP- Walter Johnson
RHP- Christy Mathewson
RHP- Grover Alexander
RHP- Cy Young
RHP- Bob Feller
RHP- Satchel Paige
RHP- Greg Maddux

LHP- Warren Spahn
LHP- Lefty Grove
LHP- Sandy Koufax

C- Johnny Bench
C- Yogi Berra
C- Josh Gibson

1B- Lou Gehrig
1B- Jimmie Foxx
1B- Hank Greenberg

2B- Joe Morgan
2B- Rogers Hornsby
2B- Jackie Robinson

SS- Honus Wagner
SS- Cal Ripken, Jr.
SS- Ozzie Smith
SS- Ernie Banks

3B- Mike Schmidt
3B- George Brett
3B- Eddie Mathews
3B- Brooks Robinson

LF- Ted Williams
LF- Stan Musial

CF- Willie Mays
CF- Ty Cobb
CF- Oscar Charleston
CF- Tris Speaker
CF- Mickey Mantle
CF- Joe DiMaggio

RF- Babe Ruth
RF- Hank Aaron
RF- Frank Robinson
RF- Roberto Clemente

MG- Casey Stengel
MG- John McGraw

Steve Carlton as a LHP before Koufax (IMHO)