NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-09-2022, 05:46 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Gary Carter's WAR was 10 points higher than Berra. And second only to Bench. He barely factors in this discussion.
I don't see the case for him. dWar loves Carter and so WAR rewards him heavily, but I am not seeing the argument in his favor as the GOAT. I don't think he was a vastly better defensive catcher than Bench.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:11 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Gary Carter's WAR was 10 points higher than Berra. And second only to Bench. He barely factors in this discussion.
My handle is named after Carter and I’d love for him to be in the discussion. I love using WAR but Berra is one of those guys where I look at his stats and just don’t understand why it’s as low as it is. I consider the catcher to be the general and Berra was the general of the most WS winning teams by far so I’ll still consider him underrated. His stats are seriously legit. 3 MVPS and the league leader in a lot of categories. My man Carter, awesome as he was, tied for the league lead in RBIs once and that’s it.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:44 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
My handle is named after Carter and I’d love for him to be in the discussion. I love using WAR but Berra is one of those guys where I look at his stats and just don’t understand why it’s as low as it is. I consider the catcher to be the general and Berra was the general of the most WS winning teams by far so I’ll still consider him underrated. His stats are seriously legit. 3 MVPS and the league leader in a lot of categories. My man Carter, awesome as he was, tied for the league lead in RBIs once and that’s it.
Maybe I am looking at the wrong website, but what did Berra lead the league in?
Old 09-09-2022, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
Funny quotes.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:41 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Funny quotes.
You are correct. My website highlighted the wrong columns. Did he have 3 mvps? Yes.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:19 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
Good point, he never led the majors, or even the AL, in anything in regards to batting or fielding stats during his career. But for someone to play such a physically (and somewhat mentally) demanding position for as long as Yogi did, and to be selected an All-Star for 15 straight seasons, as well as receiving MVP votes in 15 straight seasons (including getting voted #1 three times, #2 twice, and #3 and #4 once each), catching for the most WS winning teams in history (as previously pointed out), along with the cherry on top possibly being the catcher of the only perfect game ever thrown in a WS, and I'd say he had a pretty damn great career, and screw the advanced statistics. He appears to be another case where these modern advanced stats once again fail miserably to do a proper job of measuring a player's overall ability and contribution to their team's success and ability to win. My so-called intangible "It" factor, for which pure statistics can prove worthless in measuring in many cases.

If these advanced statistics are so good at determining who the very best baseball players are, how come the supposed Godfather of the use of such stats in baseball, Billy Beane (that title should actually/probably go his predecessor Sandy Alderson IMO), has never brought a single team he's been the GM of to a WS, let alone even be an AL championship team. I know the naysayers will jump on and say stuff about how he's never really had the money behind him, and/or how other teams quickly followed suit to look at advanced metrics to evaluate and choose their own players as well. So are those reasons/excuses for him never finally winning anything, or are these advanced stats truly reliable indicators of who the winners and champions will be?
Old 09-09-2022, 08:39 PM

I thought Ray Fosse was the greatest catcher ever.
Right, Bob ?
Old 09-09-2022, 09:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Good point, he never led the majors, or even the AL, in anything in regards to batting or fielding stats during his career. But for someone to play such a physically (and somewhat mentally) demanding position for as long as Yogi did, and to be selected an All-Star for 15 straight seasons, as well as receiving MVP votes in 15 straight seasons (including getting voted #1 three times, #2 twice, and #3 and #4 once each), catching for the most WS winning teams in history (as previously pointed out), along with the cherry on top possibly being the catcher of the only perfect game ever thrown in a WS, and I'd say he had a pretty damn great career, and screw the advanced statistics. He appears to be another case where these modern advanced stats once again fail miserably to do a proper job of measuring a player's overall ability and contribution to their team's success and ability to win. My so-called intangible "It" factor, for which pure statistics can prove worthless in measuring in many cases.

If these advanced statistics are so good at determining who the very best baseball players are, how come the supposed Godfather of the use of such stats in baseball, Billy Beane (that title should actually/probably go his predecessor Sandy Alderson IMO), has never brought a single team he's been the GM of to a WS, let alone even be an AL championship team. I know the naysayers will jump on and say stuff about how he's never really had the money behind him, and/or how other teams quickly followed suit to look at advanced metrics to evaluate and choose their own players as well. So are those reasons/excuses for him never finally winning anything, or are these advanced stats truly reliable indicators of who the winners and champions will be?
The Red Sox hired Bill James in 2003. What happened in 2004, I can't recall?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:09 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Great discussion and all opinions are just that. However, no chance that Gibson is better than Bench, Campanella or Berra. No real way to even know what his stats or greatness was. Campy’s career was cut short by racism on the front end and the accident on the back end. 9 years played and THREE MVP’s in the 50’s over Musial. Snider, Aaron etc. No one else comes close that. 1/3 of the years he played he was MVP.
Old 09-10-2022, 05:44 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Instead of answering a question with another question, why not actually answer the question I asked first as to why Beane has never really been successful? Be careful, you might just answer your own question in the process. You do tend to do that, answering a question with a question, quite a bit though.

And to more directly answer your question, one of the biggest things the Red Sox also did was to pick up David Ortiz in January of 2003. And while James was for picking up Ortiz, so were most of the other people in the Red Sox organization, so that isn't a James only call where he gets all the credit when they initially were able to sign Ortiz for only $1.25M. But as for the most important thing of all in 2004 to happen to the Red Sox........they hired Terry Francona. And I really doubt James had a damn thing to do with that hiring. And then Terry led them to the World Series championship in 2004........not Bill James!!!!
Old 09-10-2022, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Was he the one that gave all of the Red Sox players steroids?