NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-07-2016, 08:52 PM

Default Went to a bottle show...bought some waders...

photo 1 On Table_zpsvgjn0afd.jpg

I was really looking forward to the 2016 National Bottle Collectors Show coming to Sacramento this year since I could drive to it...and it's typically a killer show...The core is of course bottles but it's almost half antiques...and most of what's there is good quality...I did a story on the 2012 National Bottle Collectors show..

So Saturday I get up and ready for a pleasant constructive day off of chores and errands..About to make some breakfast I was taking a quick look at bottles on eBay...and and the thought came to me...what date is that bottle convention...the 24th I think...so I look on the net and about fell over...It had started the previous day, early entry...and had opened at 8AM that morning!!!!!!...Oh man I thought...everything great is gone...But I got ready and went anyway...So I get there and pay my $5.00 entry and go in...It was $60.00 on Friday for the early entry...

photo 2 Left Foot_zpsz7tonzsu.jpg

photo 3 Right Foot_zps50g6kylf.jpg

About the third row I spot these fishing waders...Took about 2 seconds to make them...I've been beating the pavement 30 plus years and had never seen anything like them...Very early, no rubber...made of leather and canvass...Remarkable condition!!!...PHEW!!!...JACK POT...English but who cares...I'd seen the dealer around before but didn't know him...From Montana...Dealt in high end western...Cowboy, Indian, gambling, railroad, etc...

photo 4 Soles_zpshova02lf.jpg

photo 5 Heels_zps5t7yyt8t.jpg

The dealer knew their history...Originally he had seen them on the table of an author who co-wrote a book on creels...and As I understood it he told the story the waders were displayed on his table as he was selling his book...but they weren't for sale...And the story goes that the author passed away and the dealer at the show ended up buying them...

photo 6 Maker 1_zpsrjekyzuw.jpg

photo 7 Maker 2_zpszqnxrqy1.jpg

They were big as day on his table, so it was a blessing from the Lord they were still there...a little arm wrestling and we made the deal and I took'um home!!!

"The first manufactured waders were made as early as the 1850s by a company called Hodgman. When rubber became popular around 1912, they started making the waders out of this particularly waterproof and durable material.Then rubber was more or less perfected in 1942 for World War II, so they used the same technology to make waders that are closer to what we have today" -Wikipedia

photo 9 Statue_zpscrzndipw.jpg

Coincidently...a couple years ago I was in an antiques mall and bought an early statue of a fisherman...What made me buy it was even though I didn't buy fishing stuff I thought it was remarkable he was wearing waders...Since I know sculpture and I dated the statue to about c1890...I even researched waders after I got it...And just recently I looked at that statue and thought...I should sell that..I don't really have any place to put it...But I do now!!!...What's very interesting is squared shape of the toes of the boots he's wearing are identical to the squared toes of my waders!!

photo 8 Carlton_zpsjhp7m5go.jpg

Old 08-07-2016, 10:12 PM
Al

Carlton I love your stories! Great Piece enjoy them!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 08-08-2016, 03:10 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Awesome write up, Carlton. Very cool item.....
Old 08-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great write up, thanks for sharing some history....
Old 08-08-2016, 06:50 PM
Mike H.

Super cool and interesting as always Carlton. I learn something new from you with every insightful post. You bring so much value to our hobby community
Old 08-09-2016, 05:03 AM

Carlton continues to astound me with his amazing, eclectic sports collection.
Those waders are an incredibly cool find.
Congrats!
Old 08-09-2016, 06:57 AM
Mike

Great story, those waders are awsome. I fly fish and would have bought them in a minute also. The statue and the waders go hand in hand. Enjoy those waders
Old 08-10-2016, 08:39 AM

Carlton,
Great story. Thx for sharing.

PS.

We missed you in Atlantic City.