NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-29-2020, 07:08 PM
Bob Davies

Here is what is happening to me, and it's been pretty consistent lately.

Anyone have any thoughts? The "Captcha" thing is it.

Thanks in advance...

GavelSnipe.JPG

Last edited by Stampsfan; 06-29-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:07 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Here is what is happening to me, and it's been pretty consistent lately.

Anyone have any thoughts? The "Captcha" thing is it.

Thanks in advance...

Attachment 407392
Bob, have you changed your ebay password within the last 4 or 5 months? I've heard that if you have changed it that gavelsnipe may not work ever again.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:12 PM
Jeff
Je.ff For.teza

Dan is spot on. I moved to Gixen. No issues.

Jeff
Old 06-30-2020, 05:21 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

It has been said that eBay sends Captchas to accounts with weaker passwords since they're most likely to be taken over by bots (computer software) to commandeer auction bids. So you may want to upgrade your eBay account password to something with 16 characters including capital letters, numbers, and special characters. Then update it in your sniping program.

There is a new fraudulent bidding system being employed now to counteract true bidding on eBay, that guys on Blowout have been mentioning has been happening in cards more lately.

Say there's an item worth $400 and the bid is currently at $100. A guy that wants it under value will have one account bid $1000, which will set the new viewable max bid at $105. A secondary account will bid $1010 and then the max bid will show as $1010. Then seconds before the auction ends, the last bid will be rescinded and the first account will win at $105. This is probably subverting the bids of sniping tools because they're watching to see if your listed $400 bid will currently win, which it will not because the bid's at $1010.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1389651
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 06-30-2020 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Add link
Old 06-30-2020, 06:29 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
It has been said that eBay sends Captchas to accounts with weaker passwords since they're most likely to be taken over by bots (computer software) to commandeer auction bids. So you may want to upgrade your eBay account password to something with 16 characters including capital letters, numbers, and special characters. Then update it in your sniping program.

There is a new fraudulent bidding system being employed now to counteract true bidding on eBay, that guys on Blowout have been mentioning has been happening in cards more lately.

Say there's an item worth $400 and the bid is currently at $100. A guy that wants it under value will have one account bid $1000, which will set the new viewable max bid at $105. A secondary account will bid $1010 and then the max bid will show as $1010. Then seconds before the auction ends, the last bid will be rescinded and the first account will win at $105. This is probably subverting the bids of sniping tools because they're watching to see if your listed $400 bid will currently win, which it will not because the bid's at $1010.

You can not rescind your bid on ebay with less than 12 hours to go unless you placed it within one hour of rescinding. Does blowout have any links to auctions in which this has happened?
Old 06-30-2020, 06:55 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
You can not rescind your bid on ebay with less than 12 hours to go unless you placed it within one hour of rescinding. Does blowout have any links to auctions in which this has happened?
Yep, I've seen a few. Linked from this most recent thread about "bid shielding" tactics.

Oh, I see I already posted that thread. Did you read it?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 06-30-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:07 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Yep, I've seen a few. Linked from this most recent thread about "bid shielding" tactics.

Oh, I see I already posted that thread. Did you read it?
Sorry, didn't see the link. Wow...the criminal mind knows no bounds. Ebay could remedy this by not allowing any retractions in the final 24 hours and/or extend bidding by 5 minutes on any lot that gets a bid in the final minute or so.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:23 AM
Bob Davies

As usual, thanks to all for their input. Robert and Dan's suggestion of Gixen worked extremely well. I signed up for it, and went the paid subscription route for all of six bucks.

Last night I used it for the first time, and won 34 auctions in a set I am building. Worked flawlessly, and I am very pleased.

Thanks again...
Old 07-29-2020, 07:00 AM

Gavelsnipe failed on my last three ebay snipes, yesterday and the day before. After many years I have now switched to Gixen as others suggested. Hopefully their success percentage will be much better.

As an afterthought. If a bidder placed a snipe with both gavelsnipe and gixen as an insurance bid, I assume that you would not be bidding against yourself as they are both under the same Ebay user ID. I have often bid manually with a Gavelsnipe bid in place on an item and only got it for the highest amount needed to win, even though the Gavelsnipe max and the manually entered max bid were both higher than the winning bid.....

Last edited by sb1; 07-29-2020 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:10 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Gavelsnipe failed on my last three ebay snipes, yesterday and the day before. After many years I have now switched to Gixen as others suggested. Hopefully their success percentage will be much better.

As an afterthought. If a bidder placed a snipe with both gavelsnipe and gixen as an insurance bid, I assume that you would not be bidding against yourself as they are both under the same Ebay user ID. I have often bid manually with a Gavelsnipe bid in place on an item and only got it for the highest amount needed to win, even though the Gavelsnipe max and the manually entered max bid were both higher than the winning bid.....
Correct....you can't bid against yourself. So while your bids will appear "stacked" the money should look identical to one another.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:11 AM
Rob Miller

+1 for Gixen - switched over a month ago and haven't had one issue.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:11 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:

Beware the Gixen phone app-it is quite wonky on the Android platform for me. Works fine on my PC but the app has been a nightmare.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:03 AM

Won't be a problem....I use my phone to make calls and receive calls, nothing else....can't imagine operating daily on it, versus my laptop
Old 07-29-2020, 09:21 AM
Dan Bretta

Yep, failed me last night. It may have something to do with ebay's forced changeover to managed payments that happened just a few days ago. Ebay ended over 500 of my listings. Coins, Tokens, Postcards... They are the worst run publicly traded company on the internet.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:40 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

My wife says gavelsnipe is where old white guys steal toys from kids LOL. This all because her and my son lost a bid on some Ghostbusters toys. They watched with excitement and celebrated their win when they were the high bidder until the screen refreshed.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:29 PM

Default 3 strikes and out!

Quote:

+1 Like you, I had 3 Gavelsnipe failures over the weekend after nearly a year since that last Capcha episode. I still don't comprehend why eBay discourages bidding this way. On one of Gavelsnipe's misfires, eBay's action cost the seller at least $50.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:34 PM
Gary

+1 for Gixen.

I've been using it for a while now and it works great. They have an android app too that makes it really easy to setup a bid for items in my watched list.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:02 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I had two Gavelsnipe failures tonight. Both items were under $50, so it's not a huge deal. But my bids were higher than the winner on each item.

I guess I have to make the switch to Gixen.

Last edited by Bored5000; 08-02-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:08 PM
Kevin Gibson

I’ve been pleased with bidnapper.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:27 PM

Default Twelve Years Plus

.. I've used " EZSniper" since Hector was a pup ; it's click-simple and they snipe at just the last split second and they have saved me literally truly thousands of dollars because back in the bidding by clicking days I had the impulse control of a mobile home kitchen grease fire ...
Old 08-03-2020, 12:29 AM
Dan Bretta

I switched to Gixen this past week and successfully sniped 2 auctions.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:42 AM
Dave

Gavelsnipe doesn't seem to be working for me at all anymore. Had about 3 snipes in a row that got rejected for "Bid blocked by Ebay CAPTCHA", and the last couple didn't even register in the history. Just disappeared as if they never even existed.

Guess I'll have to check out one of the other recommended tools.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 09-19-2020 at 09:15 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-19-2020, 08:59 AM
je.sse @rnot

I missed a few auctions this week because I was working late, and a couple because I set my phone down and forgot to check. I really should look into one of these services.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:35 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Gavelsnipe doesn't seem to be working for me at all anymore. Had about 3 snipes in a row that got rejected for "Bid blocked by Ebay CAPTCHA", and the last couple didn't even register in the history. Just disappeared as if they never even existed.

Guess I'll have to check out one of the other recommended tools.
I gave up on Gavelsnipe and went with Gixen about a month ago. I now wish I had done it sooner.

Last edited by Bored5000; 09-19-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:28 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I gave up on Gavelsnipe and went with Gixen about a month ago. I now wish I had done it sooner.
Same. Gixen is 100% for me, but I have heard that the phone app is hit or miss so if you do use Gixen I'd suggest using the website on a computer.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:24 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Was just thinking the same thing . . .

If I know I will bid up to say $1500 for something on eBay and not a penny more, why not just wait until their is 10 seconds left and enter my max bid? Never got the sniping thing. if others are willing to pay more I wont get it.

Sometimes the auction ends well past when I go to bed and it would be nice to have the snipe option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2020, 08:07 PM
David M.

Quote:
Same. Gixen is 100% for me, but I have heard that the phone app is hit or miss so if you do use Gixen I'd suggest using the website on a computer.
So did I. Last two Gavelsnipes failed so I signed up with Gixen. At least Gavelsnipe was nice enough to tell me my bids were blocked by Ebay.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:47 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemaz View Post
Sometimes the auction ends well past when I go to bed and it would be nice to have the snipe option.

Sign up for Gixen, they do not have the Capcha problems that Gavelsnipe does. Gavelsnipe is useless now...I'm not even sure they ever really even tried to fix the problem.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:50 PM
Dave

I did sign up for Gixen a couple weeks ago. So far so good.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:21 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

I just had a Gavelsnipe fail last week. The Gavelsnipe site said that I was outbid, but the price on Gavelsnipe was way below my snipe. When I checked on ebay, there had been no bids at all on my item.

It was not a high-dollar purchase ($25) and the seller nicely relisted it at a buy-it-now price for me, but this was my second Gavelsnipe failure in a couple of months, so I just signed up for Gixen.

Last edited by kkkkandp; 10-06-2020 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:26 AM
Don

Quote:
Sign up for Gixen, they do not have the Capcha problems that Gavelsnipe does. Gavelsnipe is useless now...I'm not even sure they ever really even tried to fix the problem.

I used Gixen for the first time last night. Worked great.