NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-06-2023, 11:59 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default Making a Major card purchase (51 Bowman Mantle) - where do YOU prefer to shop??

As some of you know (and have helped me already!), I have decided to liquidate a good chuck of my PC that I never thought I'd sell to chase down a card that I've always loved... the 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle (it's like a little work of baseball art, honestly!)

Here's my question - when you are making a major purchase like this, where do you focus your own search?

- here, Net54 (well, yeah! Of course!!)
- local card shows (I live in Massachusetts and a big one is coming up later this month)
- major Auction Houses
- Facebook Vintage pages
- smaller, regional AH's?
- other or maybe all?

I haven't yet built up the $$ war chest to get MM but I'm off to a great start and think I may get there within a couple of weeks.

I just want to be well armed with a "go get" plan when I am ready - i look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks all -

Jeff
Old 04-06-2023, 12:12 PM
Don

REA auction just went live with a really nice SGC 2

Good luck
Old 04-06-2023, 12:15 PM
Drew W@i$e

Card shows if you can find them. Cash is king at shows.
Old 04-06-2023, 12:39 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I look at all options, whoever has the right card at a fair price, gets my business.
Old 04-06-2023, 12:42 PM

The Shriner's show coming up.

beer chug.gifbeer chug.gifbeer chug.gif
Old 04-06-2023, 01:38 PM

eBay has inventory and several Best Offer options, goes through authentication, no travel on your part thus eliminating vehicle related risks/issues, no concerns carrying around a $10K+ card, no bidding war, and no negotiations in person when a seller has an advantage knowing you're there to purchase THAT exact card. That said, if you want to develop a relationship/rapport and hold the card in hand first, show is the way to go.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:18 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I personally prefer thru this board or thru a network of people.

It gets me the best price as the buyer and as seller as well because going thru auction houses etc you have to have the BP and/or seller premium as well as tax and shipping where if it is a private sale save on those to maximize for everyone.

But depending on what I am looking for if I cannot find it that way I go thru auction houses paying the BP, tax etc but you find what you want, many give you options ie to pay by credit card if you prefer that way and most have great reputations

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-06-2023, 02:28 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Luckily, you've got options here, since this piece trades a lot. So there's no need to rush out and buy the first one you see just to scratch that itch.

I would spend some time assessing my budget, and more specifically figuring out what I want to get with my budget (i.e. graded, not graded, condition, centering, paper loss, etc). Then spend some time looking at recent sales and see where the market is these days for cards that fit your profile. Part of the fun is that it's always going to be a range. Maybe tweak your budget a little depending on what you find out, as you decide whether you want to maybe aim a little higher or a little lower to get just the right piece.

If you're not in a hurry, then you can afford to be patient and wait for the right time and the right piece. Especially since it sounds like this will be your new crown jewel, so you don't want to rush it to just check a box and get it done. Make sure you get the good stuff, and savor the process, especially since this might be one of the few times you'll ever get here.

Historically, auctions have been one of your best bets for landing quality pieces at the best prices. Not always and not for everything, but often they can be less expensive than retail or eBay BIN prices. So a big part of my strategy would be lurking around auctions with pieces that meet my criteria, getting in on the action, but setting a limit for when you're ready to bow out and let someone else have it if they exceed your limit.

Having said that, during the last few years, auctions can sometimes just go nuts. So know when to walk away, be cool with losing an auction, and recognize that sometimes the winner is actually the loser because they had to overpay. Sometimes the right card will come up at the right price on another venue, so make sure you're actively scoping out all of those spots, including the BST here. And don't be shy about making offers for the right piece, because sometimes sellers build in a little cushion with a plan to negotiate down a bit.

Lastly, while it's always easy to get all hopped up and emotionally psyched about a big buy like this, do your best to keep a level head and approach it analytically, just to avoid getting out over your skis and buying based on emotion. Taking it slow will probably help you to get there, although you might have to remind yourself a few times to not get emotional about it.

And then when you finally pick up the right card and the right price, you should totally go nuts celebrating all you want.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 04-06-2023 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:42 PM
James M.

I've found great success and connections right through here, on Net54. Especially if it's from someone who we can all trust. Having the deal conducted that way, or even from a reputable dealer at a show, in my opinion, is the best. Auction Houses are most likely going to be the best in terms of selection, but with them you have to pay your dues, to Uncle Sam.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I've found great success and connections right through here, on Net54. Especially if it's from someone who we can all trust. Having the deal conducted that way, or even from a reputable dealer at a show, in my opinion, is the best. Auction Houses are most likely going to be the best in terms of selection, but with them you have to pay your dues, to Uncle Sam.
Zero taxes are due Uncle Sam when you buy a card at auction, if anywhere else; you may have to pay state sales tax, which can be substantial, and you may be able to avoid that buying directly from a collector or a smaller outfit.

Personally, I would look to AHs, and be patient - they will have the biggest selection and you know you are paying FMV. Otherwise, I agree that connections made through net54 is a very solid option, but may take more time.
Old 04-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Set a realistic budget and if your dream card shows up buy it from whoever has it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Auction Houses are most likely going to be the best in terms of selection, but with them you have to pay your dues, to Uncle Sam.
Maybe this was a reference to state sales taxes?

1963 Post complete panel
Old 04-06-2023, 03:26 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Maybe this was a reference to state sales taxes?
Yes, it was. Depending on the State you live in, of course. It's 4% here in NY.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 04-06-2023, 03:38 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Yes, it was. Depending on the State you live in, of course. It's 4% here in NY.
Cool cool.

I got schooled a few months ago by Leon, who reminded me that only some auction houses are required to collect state sales tax in some states. If memory serves, it's based on whether the auction house exceeds a specific $$ volume of pieces that get shipped to any given state.

So depending on the auction house, and depending on the state, you might not have to pay sales tax. Most AHs actually have a list of which states they're required to collect sales tax in, so you can always refer to that list to confirm whether or not you'll get hit when you buy.

1963 Post complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 04-06-2023 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:41 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Cool cool.

I got schooled a few months ago by Leon, who reminded me that only some auction houses are required to collect state sales tax in some states. If memory serves, it's based on whether the auction house exceeds a specific $$ volume of pieces that get shipped to any given state.

So depending on the auction house, and depending on the state, you might not have to pay sales tax. Most AHs actually have a list of which states they're required to collect sales tax in, so you can always refer to that list to confirm whether or not you'll get hit when you buy.
Technically you should be paying Use Tax if the auction isn't required to collect Sales Tax, and you live in a state with a Sales Tax. Of course almost nobody does that.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-06-2023, 08:25 PM

I would prefer to buy my slabbed Mantle rookie from an auction house but that probably won't happen. With the expected winning bid for perhaps anything above around a 1 representing what would be a huge chunk of change for me, I just have a hard time coming to grips with paying the buyer's premium. I'd likely be paying a bp of 20% to most auction houses that, in listing maybe that PSA 3 Mantle I want, has to do the same amount of work as listing an item that brings in 1/10th of that amount and only therefore charges a bp that equates to 1/10th of the total amount of the buyer's premium for the Mantle.

To be clear, this is in no way meant to be a criticism of auction houses, and I fully realize that for rarer, more valuable pieces, auction houses may do a lot more work promoting them than less valuable pieces, and this would of course justify receiving higher compensation. But the lower middle grade Mantles are fairly common and need little promotion. For me, I think I just have some sort of a mental block about paying a 20% BP when it ends up translating to a large amount of money.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:58 PM
Chuck Tapia

I feel somewhat the way you do regarding the 20 vig. REA and LOTG are now charging sales tax. In CA, that's 10%. You could get a resale license if your a seller but I prefer not to f with the taxman. So that does put you a bit in a bind. Still, I would certainly consider it to get what I wanted, even if I had to set a record for a card like that.

I did buy mine right here with another collector I had a good relationship with. He offered me a fair deal and I didn't need to negotiate. I bought both a 51 Mays and 51 Mantle in the same deal. I paid by check which I have on numerous occasions with members here.

I also bought my 52 Topps Mantle from a seller/collector that was local that had a good reputation. I was able to research the card before I met the gentleman for lunch. He was a great guy and we made a deal. We went to my bank and got the cash, took it across the street to his bank and deposited. he gave me the card.

I thought I liked the idea of paying cash at a show. My concern these days is I don't trust the areas. I could not imagine bringing 10-50K to ONTARIO, CA a couple months ago. Very nice place to get jacked. I don't need that.

There is a really good facebook group with 3-4 major dealers in it as well as some Net 54 quality collectors I'd trust. Otherwise, probably not for this type of card, IMHO

I'd look at every avenue in your arsenal for the right fit you can live with. If you are like me, it will be with you for a long time, so the CARD should over shadow your "DEAL".

This is the one I ended up with and Despite it NOT being a PSA 10 1 of 1, I'm more than happy with it. Some would even say it "HAS EYE APPEAL". And I'm the Low eye appeal KING! I could care LESS it's not SGC or PSA. It's just a nice card the way it sits and it was right at the time for me.

GOOD LUCK and happy hunting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle A.jpg (207.2 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 04-06-2023 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 10:06 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
I feel somewhat the way you do regarding the 20 vig. REA and LOTG are now charging sales tax. In CA, that's 10%. You could get a resale license if your a seller but I prefer not to f with the taxman. So that does put you a bit in a bind. Still, I would certainly consider it to get what I wanted, even if I had to set a record for a card like that.

I did buy mine right here with another collector I had a good relationship with. He offered me a fair deal and I didn't need to negotiate. I bought both a 51 Mays and 51 Mantle in the same deal. I paid by check which I have on numerous occasions with members here.

I also bought my 52 Topps Mantle from a seller/collector that was local that had a good reputation. I was able to research the card before I met the gentleman for lunch. He was a great guy and we made a deal. We went to my bank and got the cash, took it across the street to his bank and deposited. he gave me the card.

I thought I liked the idea of paying cash at a show. My concern these days is I don't trust the areas. I could not imagine bringing 10-50K to ONTARIO, CA a couple months ago. Very nice place to get jacked. I don't need that.

There is a really good facebook group with 3-4 major dealers in it as well as some Net 54 quality collectors I'd trust. Otherwise, probably not for this type of card, IMHO

I'd look at every avenue in your arsenal for the right fit you can live with. If you are like me, it will be with you for a long time, so the CARD should over shadow your "DEAL".

This is the one I ended up with and Despite it NOT being a PSA 10 1 of 1, I'm more than happy with it. Some would even say it "HAS EYE APPEAL". And I'm the Low eye appeal KING! I could care LESS it's not SGC or PSA. It's just a nice card the way it sits and it was right at the time for me.

GOOD LUCK and happy hunting!
Fantastic card Chuck.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-07-2023, 07:22 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I have purchased my biggest ticket cards from trusted dealers I've known for years. I think that's the best way to go, if possible, so that if anything goes wrong, you have someone honest and honorable to help. Might also get you a better deal than an auction.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-07-2023 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-07-2023, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Fantastic card Chuck.
+1. Eye appeal indeed!
Old 04-07-2023, 08:46 AM
Michael C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Set a realistic budget and if your dream card shows up buy it from whoever has it.
This is what I did for my 54 Aaron. Took years to find one at a decent price, but I found one at a show in Indianapolis. Got it for a steal. Could have flipped it the same day for $1000 more than i paid. But it will be in my collection forever.