NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-19-2016, 05:27 PM
Alan Elefson

Default Mickey Mantle Day Pennant Questions

Hi-
I recently purchased the pennant pictured below and I have a few questions regarding it. For full disclosure, I do plan on selling it but I do not want to do so until I can determine if it is real. The reason I ask is that all of the other pennants online show a white border and no tassels. Are there versions of this pennant with a yellow border and red tassels like mine? Google showed an image of one from a foreign eBay site but clicking the link does not show the pennant. Probstein has one, REA has auctioned a couple, as have Mears and Clean Sweep but all of those show a white border with no tassels.

So, is this a real variation of the pennant? Is it a real but altered pennant (added border and tassels)? Is it a reproduction/fake?

Thanks in advance,
Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3001.jpg (76.3 KB, 312 views)
Old 03-19-2016, 06:16 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Real. Nice pennant
Old 03-19-2016, 07:56 PM
Mike Kendall

I don't think I have ever seen one of these with the yellow fringe. Red with white trim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.9 KB, 279 views)
Old 03-20-2016, 01:40 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Turn it over and check the reverse side for other stitching holes. Hold it up to a bright light, if that helps. If there is no evidence of extra stitching or other other set of small holes, I'd surmise it's original, and just an alternate variation.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-20-2016, 02:17 PM
Alan Elefson

Thank you guys! I will check the stitching tonight and let you know. I really appreciate all of your help with this.

Alan
Old 03-21-2016, 09:57 AM

I have no idea whether it's genuine or not--I know nothing about pennants. But, I see that it's not only the trim that is different. The font used for the words "Souvenir of," and "Yankee Stadium" differ between the two. Tapering in the yellow-trimmed version, but not in the white.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:36 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
I have no idea whether it's genuine or not--I know nothing about pennants. But, I see that it's not only the trim that is different. The font used for the words "Souvenir of," and "Yankee Stadium" differ between the two. Tapering in the yellow-trimmed version, but not in the white.
Good catch. It might tend to make me a bit suspicious.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:45 AM
Jake Cornwell

Perhaps it was a "knock off" pennant sold outside the stadium?

I know very little about pennants, but know that some of the Yankee pennants out there differ because they were sold from a street vendor.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:53 AM
Al

How about this also. What if the yellow version is the real deal (since it is a rare pennant) and the white ones are the knock offs.... Its like these that I have wondered about for years, they made them in 3 different versions. all white letters +numbers, white with silver 7s, and all black numbers and letters. the whites are the most prevelant.

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 04-12-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:30 AM
Mike Kendall

I have heard accounts of people who were at Mickey Mantle Day in 1969, that the red and white pennant was sold with the rare Mickey Mantle Day pin attached. Several have been sold over the years, but none of the pennants had yellow trim. I have to believe this is a reproduction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.5 KB, 155 views)
Old 03-21-2016, 11:36 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
How about this also. What if the yellow version is the real deal (since it is a rare pennant) and the white ones are the knock offs.... Its like these that I have wondered about for years, they made them in 3 different versions. all white letters +numbers, white with silver 7s, and all black numbers and letters. the whites are the most prevelant.
Hey Al, those very common pins not only came in different colors, they came in different sizes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (22.6 KB, 147 views)
Old 03-21-2016, 11:43 AM
Al

Hi Mike,
Yes I have seen the different size ones and feel the 2 1/4 ones are the knockoffs... I also love your 1 3/4 white mantle day pin... I know where you got that one and you beat me to it my friend! Nice pick up..

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Old 03-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Hi Mike,
Yes I have seen the different size ones and feel the 2 1/4 ones are the knockoffs... I also love your 1 3/4 white mantle day pin... I know where you got that one and you beat me to it my friend! Nice pick up..
Thanks Al. It's not easy easy staying one step ahead of you!
Old 03-21-2016, 01:16 PM

Interesting question. Looking at the photos in this thread, the pennant with the yellow strip looks like a higher quality pennant overall than the one that folks agree is the original.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:05 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
Interesting question. Looking at the photos in this thread, the pennant with the yellow strip looks like a higher quality pennant overall than the one that folks agree is the original.
I feel that way also...

Old 03-21-2016, 02:19 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I emailed you early in the thread and asked for a price if you intended to sell it. I haven't received a response so I will just tell you what my belief is and if you choose to sell it, you can let me know.

It is my belief that this is the only "authentic" version that has been shown. All of the others shown in my opinion are not authentic and were reprinted after the fact in the 1970's at some time.

It has been accepted by most (and obviously auction houses listed) that these were sold at the stadium on Mickey Mantle day, I strongly disagree. I believe these were made after the fact like the more common of the MM day buttons. I know REA sold an original button attached to the pennant I say is no good, but I still stand by my opinion. I believe the button is original and the pennant came later. I was not there on MM day, just have collected and bought and sold pennants for almost 30 years. Jason
Old 03-21-2016, 02:21 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I should add that David hit the nail on the head. If you look at the graphics and the font used, that is consistent with a 1969 production and the font that was commonly used in pennant production, specifically with Yankee pennants.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:44 PM

I can't tell for sure due to the resolution of the photo, but the white strip pennant seems to be of the sort that has red ink distributed onto a white background, with the non-inked portions left as the image. I've seen a number of 1969 era Senators pennants (pitcher in front of Capitol dome) that I know to be repros done in a similar fashion, red ink on white background. Not screened on images and words like other pennants of the period.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:07 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

delete

Last edited by Duluth Eskimo; 03-21-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:10 PM
Alan Elefson

Thank you again for everyone's help! I really appreciate all of the information and opinions.

Alan
Old 03-22-2016, 11:23 PM
Jack T

I've always wondered whether these red Mantle Day pennants were reproduced. I suspected that they were, even though they seem to be accepted as authentic.

The one I have also has the white edge and printing style like the other white-edged one shown. Other differences in the style of the lettering are that "I was there" is slightly italicized in the white-edged version and not so in the yellow-edged one; and the white outline of the word "Yankees" is thicker on the yellow-edged pennant, making it stand out more. I've never seen the yellow-edged one before.

I have to agree that the quality of the OP's yellow-edged pennant looks much better, which makes me agree with Jason that this is the "real deal" version sold in the Stadium that day. I think white-edged one is likely a reproduction, but may be a bootleg version sold by street vendors outside the stadium, as someone else suggested.

But I have seen another, very different, Mickey Mantle Day pennant. I've only seen it once, and I bought it while I had the chance. I posted this in another thread a long time ago, but it seems appropriate to show it here too.
Has anyone else seen this version?

Old 03-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

That a great and very authentic pennant. As you said, probably bootleg with lower quality production and sold outside stadium. Oftentimes the bootleg pennants were produced with older, sometimes thicker felt as they used whatever they could get the cheapest or was laying around rather than using newer fabrics. Very rare pennant.