NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-27-2019, 12:15 PM
David $tephens

Default My GMA Experiment

The last couple of months, my three boys have been getting into collecting baseball cards which is super exciting for me. I only collect T206 or T205 cards now but had crates of cards from my younger days and decided to break them out. As I went through them and distributed them to the kids, I picked the really good ones for safe keeping and decided to have them graded and encapsulated just for posterity.

The graded T206 cards I have are a mix of BVG,PSA and SGC which hold their value and are trustworthy. I didn't want to plunk that kinda money down on cards I planned to keep so I sent them to GMA just for fun. The first batch I got back pretty quickly and was kinda surprised at the grades. I only got two 10s and two 9s the rest were 8.5 to 6.5 which I thought was pretty fair. The second group of cards I sent twelve cards including some T206 and T205 raw cards. I pulled a few HOF and the better conditioned cards from my collection to see how they would grade. I got them back today and was kinda shocked. Out of the 8 T-cards I got a two 4s, a 3.5, a 3, a 2.5, a 1.5 and two Authentic grades. I thought the grades were pretty fair except the two Authentics. One was a solid Homerun Baker that I figured was a solid 2 with creases and some stains on the back but no evidence of alterations. The second was a a T205 common with straight corners but had a burn mark on the back. I am just puzzled by the authentic grades from GMA. Why not grade them out as Ones? I guess the moral of the story is that all grading companies have quirks when it comes to vintage cards. At least they didn't all come back as 10s.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:08 PM
Scott Russell

What the hell is GMA?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-27-2019, 01:33 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
What the hell is GMA?
Grand Meft Auto
Old 03-27-2019, 01:45 PM
David $tephens

Its a lower end grading service I found.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:38 PM

I have purchased a handful of their lower condition graded cards over the last few years and it seems like they do a decent job with their grading. Perhaps that WWG DiMaggio should be sent to them to verify trimming.

Brian
Old 03-27-2019, 04:47 PM
Ben North

I like them for the service they provide. If you have some cards you want slabbed at a low price to protect them they are great. As far as resale value I don't believe they would be very good for that.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:50 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Guy slabbing cards at his house in Florida. May be cheap, but doesn't increase resale value because nobody trusts him and collectors expect the cards to be altered in the slab.
It's probably lowest on this rung of currently still existing grading companies:
PSA
Beckett
SGC
KSA
BCCG (because of their wacky scale) and collector distrust/disinterest
GMA

Did I miss any? Is KSA (Canadian grader) still in business?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:20 PM
David $tephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Guy slabbing cards at his house in Florida. May be cheap, but doesn't increase resale value because nobody trusts him and collectors expect the cards to be altered in the slab.
It's probably lowest on this rung of currently still existing grading companies:
PSA
Beckett
SGC
KSA
GMA

I didn’t send them to GMA for resale. I’m a card collector not a card dealer. Usually when I have something I think I may resell I send it to PSA or SGC. I would put them above KSA and BCCG personally. The cards I have sent him with the exceptions of my two Authentic grades have been spot on. I’m just not going to spend $20 a card on grading just in case I might sell it. I could used that money for more cards.

Also I have learned to buy the card not the holder. I got bit one to many times by these grading companies by buying the grades.

Last edited by Pilot172000; 03-27-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:32 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

No, I realize; I was answering the guy above that didn't know who they were. Some of the Panhandle guys submit to GMA for mid-grade vintage and cheaper modern cards just because of the quicker turnaround and lower price. But it doesn't normally improve the value of their cards.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:36 PM
David $tephens

I gotcha. I just thought those guys were being sarcastic. I think all the grading companies have their pluses and minuses. I was just glad to find a cheaper alternative for stuff I won’t sell. I love the people at SGC but their holder are so darn bulky.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:06 PM
Scott Russell

I was being serious, I had never heard of GMA. When I saw the thread title I thought you had found some clever way of getting on Good Morning America
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 03-27-2019, 06:50 PM
David $tephens

Quote:
I was being serious, I had never heard of GMA. When I saw the thread title I thought you had found some clever way of getting on Good Morning America
Lol, no I was just trying to find a cheap way to grade some mid tier cards.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
That is what I thought too, Good Morning America . I think of the GMA as a PRO-like product to avoid.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:38 AM
David $tephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That is what I thought too, Good Morning America . I think of the GMA as a PRO-like product to avoid.

I read a lot of threads about them prior to sending cards there and there were two camps on them. One absolutely against them and one that said they had good experiences. The stuff I sent them the first time was just relic cards and rookies from the 90s and 2000s so it was worth a shot. For $55 I got 10 cards graded and I felt they did a good job. I felt they deserved a positive mention for it.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:39 AM
pete ullman

I think what you did was smart...you could have paid PSA more than the cards aare worth to grade them...why bother!

They are protected and that was your goal.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:52 AM
Robert Williams

On a side note, whatever happened to ISA?? I thought they were supposed to be the next big thing.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:07 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
I read a lot of threads about them prior to sending cards there and there were two camps on them. One absolutely against them and one that said they had good experiences. The stuff I sent them the first time was just relic cards and rookies from the 90s and 2000s so it was worth a shot. For $55 I got 10 cards graded and I felt they did a good job. I felt they deserved a positive mention for it.
And please put your name next to your post per the rules. Shout outs are great and appreciated. But, and this probably isn't the case, someone could work for them and shill their services. That is why names are important. Same rules for everyone ....

Also, back to the topic,if you ever want to sell them you would probably get more for them if they aren't in those holders...imo

Last edited by Leon; 03-28-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:18 AM
David $tephens

Quote:
And please put your name next to your post per the rules. Shout outs are great and appreciated. But, and this probably isn't the case, someone could work for them and shill their services. That is why names are important. Same rules for everyone ....

Also, back to the topic,if you ever want to sell them you would probably get more for them if they aren't in those holders...imo
I apologize. I thought I did put my name up there. How to I fix it?

I thought about that too. You are right PSA and SGC are where I usually go with my cards. I actually have an order set up with SGC right now. Worst case is, I get them re-holdered and am out $5.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I apologize. I thought I did put my name up there. How to I fix it?

I thought about that too. You are right PSA and SGC are where I usually go with my cards. I actually have an order set up with SGC right now. Worst case is, I get them re-holdered and am out $5.
Thanks for your understanding and putting it there. Speaking of SGC, they will be taking submissions at our Texas Card Show, in Frisco TX, later this month. Hope to see a lot of members there. And yes, 5 bucks isn't that big of an experiment for cards.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:13 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
PSA
Beckett
SGC
KSA
GMA

Yes, KSA is still in business. Changed owners a bit ago, but last I heard are still accepting submissions.

Where would you rank GAI graded cards in your list? I believe I've read here some anecdotal comments around early gradings are quite good, but issues with later gradings.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:58 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Yes, KSA is still in business. Changed owners a bit ago, but last I heard are still accepting submissions.

Where would you rank GAI graded cards in your list? I believe I've read here some anecdotal comments around early gradings are quite good, but issues with later gradings.
GAI had something in common with GMA. At the end GAI was a guy slabbing cards out of his house. The difference was one is in Florida and one was in Iowa.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:00 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
I've heard the same about their cards, but especially their graded packs. Early ones are unopened, many resealed ones got through later on.

I'd say they're close to SGC when they were good, but I don't have personal experience. I've bought some SCD graded 1952 Topps for my PSA set, cracked them out, and they did okay, even with PSA being thought to have tightened their standards:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...7&postcount=45
Of course, I think I bought them all for around PSA 4-5 prices, so even the ones the dropped still "improved" in value.

Last edited by swarmee; 03-28-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:22 AM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Default For your consideration (of GMA)

For your consideration, the bottom edge of this Huggins

Old 02-21-2021, 04:45 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo10Fan View Post

This looks like more of miscut than a trim - Yes?
Old 02-21-2021, 05:40 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Quote:
PSA
Beckett
SGC
KSA
GMA

Not True. I am now using them for most of my grading and they do a real good job. Their grading is pretty damn good and there is no 3 to 4 month wait. have been selling a number of cards on ebay and they do well. If you have not tried them then you should not condemn them. It just makes you a big mouth with no knowledge of what you are talking about. FRANK.

Last edited by Frank A; 02-21-2021 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:49 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
This looks like more of miscut than a trim - Yes?
I agree the card is diamond cut.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:20 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
Not True. I am now using them for most of my grading and they do a real good job. Their grading is pretty damn good and there is no 3 to 4 month wait. have been selling a number of cards on ebay and they do well. If you have not tried them then you should not condemn them. It just makes you a big mouth with no knowledge of what you are talking about. FRANK.
Thanks. Me from two years ago has been appropriately scolded.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:36 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
KSA has surged recently with the popularity of the Gretzky rookie. I am pretty sure they have graded the most OPC Gretzky rookies and might be the biggest hockey grader in the market. they definitely have a much better reputation under the new ownership and lots of collectors really like them.

They've been around for a long time, and like many TPGs, there are issues/lack of confidence in their older slabs. I have a few KSA cards, and my only issue is with the grading scale. They do not seem to account for centering, and because of this, you sometimes need to reduce the grade by 2 levels. i find that to be annoying- they have some bad cards graded as '8's. Some say that you need to do this with SGC and other graders as well, but I do not see it. It always depends on the card, but I view SGC/PSA to be within 1 grade of each other and it not always in the same direction.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 02-21-2021, 12:59 PM
Joe

CSA was a Canadian firm the graded Star Basketball before Beckett.
Not a darn this wrong with their service. Not sure they’re in business
but the grades are pretty much spot on.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:45 PM
Ed

An “Authentic” grade in a GMA slab is insult to injury
Old 02-21-2021, 03:58 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:

Matthew Broderick got his own card?

I do not collect cards, but I read many threads. When I looked at this, other than seeing Ferris Bueller, I though I could see trimming. The top looks like it dips in the middle. The bottom slants up from left to right..

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 02-21-2021 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:17 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecomebacker View Post
An “Authentic” grade in a GMA slab is insult to injury
I look at it as they were good enough to find the problem. Unlike PSA.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:29 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:

A factory mis-cut receives my vote. I have a hard time believing a sober person would purposely trim the card into that shape. A kindergartner with safety scissors could’ve done a better job.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:25 PM
Phil

Quote:

I have purchased a total of four cards in GAI holders, three of them labeled "First Graded." I am well aware of the controversy surrounding their grading practices, but I don't care about their investment potential, so they work for me. If you're thinking about selling them one day, then I would go with one of the more established grading companies which means PSA would be the first choice for many collectors, investors, flippers- you get the idea.

Phil aka Tere1071
Old 02-22-2021, 04:43 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
CSA was a Canadian firm the graded Star Basketball before Beckett.
Not a darn this wrong with their service. Not sure they’re in business
but the grades are pretty much spot on.
CSA spot on lol. NOw I have heard it all. I have read some nonsense on here this is right near if not at the top.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:16 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I didn’t send them to GMA for resale. I’m a card collector not a card dealer. Usually when I have something I think I may resell I send it to PSA or SGC. I would put them above KSA and BCCG personally. The cards I have sent him with the exceptions of my two Authentic grades have been spot on. I’m just not going to spend $20 a card on grading just in case I might sell it. I could used that money for more cards.

Also I have learned to buy the card not the holder. I got bit one to many times by these grading companies by buying the grades.
Grading cards aren't $20. I am all the time getting cards graded for under $10. You have to catch a special, but it can be done.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:41 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
CSA spot on lol. NOw I have heard it all. I have read some nonsense on here this is right near if not at the top.
LOL, It's not even the the most nonsense posted in this thread. If you want real nonsense you need to find a thread that someone calls out one of the countless PSA blunders. One member is so silly they actually will call the poster a liar or con artist. Of course the poster calling out PSA is always right. The other is always wrong and too big of a AH to apologize for his posts saying the OP has a tampered slab as an example.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:41 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Wow, my head is spinning reading this.

If it's just some BS company that doesn't affect the value of a card either way (actually probably immediately throws it under a web of suspicion), why not spent $10 and buy a box of top loaders and store your cards like that?

I was thinking Good Morning America as well.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:44 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I think what you did was smart...you could have paid PSA more than the cards are worth to grade them...why bother!

They are protected and that was your goal.
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to but a box of top loaders and use those to protect your cards? And not have anyone else handle them?

Odd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0810(3).jpg (48.6 KB, 288 views)

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-22-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:40 PM

In one of those protection devices Paul has the chance to breathe through that slot at top. Stick him in a slab, be it PSA, SGC, GMA or whatever, and the Big Poison suffocates.

Brian (a humanitarian and carditarian simultaneously)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goudey33pwaner.jpg (48.6 KB, 266 views)
Old 02-22-2021, 04:47 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to but a box of top loaders and use those to protect your cards? And not have anyone else handle them?

Odd.
yes!
Old 02-22-2021, 06:46 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

I don't have any graded cards (that are not busted out) but from a pure visual perspective I think their holders look the best, as in don't detract from the cards itself.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default From an interesting Wheaties set....

Every time I see the title of this thread I think of Good Morning America.

As for GMA, or slabs in general, I am sort of neutral right now. I know my raw cards do fine in penny sleeves and top loaders.

Raw isn't so bad...

Old 03-10-2021, 07:45 AM
And.y Ell.is

Quote:
Every time I see the title of this thread I think of Good Morning America.

As for GMA, or slabs in general, I am sort of neutral right now. I know my raw cards do fine in penny sleeves and top loaders.

Raw isn't so bad...

Leon, do you know what year this pic of DiMaggio is from ?