NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-16-2014, 06:54 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Default Deloris Jordan calling out Ken Goldin's Auction

If you haven't seen it on ESPN.com, Michael Jordan's Mom is calling out Ken Goldin saying that his auction is offering replicas instead of authentic originals. In his current auction, they're offering two recruiting letters, an undergrad transcript, and his UNC Diploma. Goldin has challenged her to produce the original recruiting letters if these are indeed replicas, and I don't blame him. Jordan probably received a 100 such letters from North Carolina over his high school career, so to have two not a big deal. The UNC diploma should be easy to produce on her end if she thinks she has the original.

Warning, it may take some collaboration from UNC and their printer to see if Jordan ordered a second diploma at any time. I had to do that for my wife as a surprise when she lost her diploma in a move.

Here's the link to the ESPN.com article: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-auction-items
Old 01-16-2014, 07:17 AM

This is very frustrating for us. ANYONE on this board who sees these letters in person and is familiar with documents and signatures can easily look and see they are not 'replicas'. Keep in mind she is claiming these are replicas made in 1999 and placed into the restaurant,...by her! At the same time she is stating this, Jordan's attorney is in written contact with our offices because he wants the letters back. WHY would he want 'replicas' back?.

Very frustrating...
WATCH THE ESPN VIDEO SEGMENT where they interview Darren Rovell. He personally spoke to her, and gives his opinion....very honest.

Goldin Auctions and PSA/DNA Stand By Authenticity of Michael Jordan Memorabilia

WEST BERLIN, NJ – JAN. 15, 2014 – Goldin Auctions, the New Jersey based auction house that is currently offering more than 1,100 item of sports, entertainment, history and pop culture memorabilia in its 2014 Winter Auction is standing by the authenticity of every item in the auction including four particular pieces of Michael Jordan memorabilia that were questioned by Mrs. Deloris Jordan, the mother of Michael Jordan.
The four items Mrs. Jordan questioned include: Jordan’s University of North Carolina Diploma; a recruiting letter dated Aug. 12, 1980 from UNC Head Coach Dean Smith; a recruiting letter from Assistant Coach Bill Guthridge dated Feb. 19, 1980; and Jordan’s UNC undergraduate academic record.
“I have no doubt that Mrs. Jordan has numerous recruiting letters in her possession that she saved from her son Michael, and likely many from University of North Carolina. However, based upon scientific analysis, authentication from PSA and most important the ‘eye test’ that these documents are authentic, we find it highly unlikely that she has originals of these two particular letters in her possession,” explains Ken Goldin Founder of Goldin Auctions. “However if she can produce what she claims to be originals of these two exact letters dated Aug. 12, 1980 from UNC Head Coach Dean Smith and Feb. 19, 1980 from Assistant Coach Bill Guthridge, and we can verify that her versions are authentic, we will pull these two lots from the auction.”
"We stand behind our authenticators’ opinion 100 percent that what the auction is selling is real," said PSA/DNA president Joe Orlando. "And there hasn't been anything legitimate presented that contradicts the opinion of our authenticators. I respect Mrs. Jordan's approach and concern, but unless there's evidence to the contrary here, it doesn't mean much."
Here are the facts that reinforce Goldin Auctions’ confidence on the authenticity of the items.
• PSA/DNA the leading sports authenticator in the world inspected and certified each document as an original document, and each signature as an original signature not a copy. They are in the business of identifying copies and replicas.

• The paper the letters are printed on is Fox River Bond 25% cotton paper. This is a stationary that was popular in the 1980 time period.

• Both letters retain the original fold lines from being placed in the envelope 34 years ago both documents shows the typical wear and tear of a 34 year-old document

• The Dean Smith letter contains a handwritten note and a slight tearing of the ink that would only appear on an original

• The Guthridge letter has a 'slice' at the bottom of the letter, the type that would have been created by someone using a letter opener 34 years ago and unfortunately slicing off the very bottom portion of the stationary. Therefore, the letter itself does not have a straight edge at the bottom, but a curved edge to the paper. Something that would be nearly impossible to replicate.

• The academic transcript is an original transcript from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill with a print date of 9/27/1999. It is two sided and there is no doubt this is a document from UNC, as advertised.

• Through the office of the registrar at UNC-Chapel Hill, Goldin Auctions confirmed this to be an original diploma issued by UNC that could only be obtained by the actual student. UNC does allows students to obtain an additional diploma. The registrar’s office at UNC would not reveal if more than one Michael Jordan diploma was ever requested. As a result Goldin Auctions has advertised this item as an original Michael Jordan UNC college diploma that was displayed at the restaurant. If Mrs. Jordan produces another copy of the diploma, the listing will be revised to reflect that fact.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldin Auctions View Post
Through the office of the registrar at UNC-Chapel Hill, Goldin Auctions confirmed this to be an original diploma issued by UNC that could only be obtained by the actual student. UNC does allows students to obtain an additional diploma. The registrar’s office at UNC would not reveal if more than one Michael Jordan diploma was ever requested. As a result Goldin Auctions has advertised this item as an original Michael Jordan UNC college diploma that was displayed at the restaurant. If Mrs. Jordan produces another copy of the diploma, the listing will be revised to reflect that fact.
Thanks for answering my main question I posed.

Here's a conspiracy theory and question for you. Would you allow Mrs. Jordan to bid in your auction? What if this was some clever ploy on her end to drive the price down on these items so she could "recoup" these cheaper than if everyone knew these were originals?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:06 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldin Auctions View Post
This is very frustrating for us. ANYONE on this board who sees these letters in person and is familiar with documents and signatures can easily look and see they are not 'replicas'. Keep in mind she is claiming these are replicas made in 1999 and placed into the restaurant,...by her! At the same time she is stating this, Jordan's attorney is in written contact with our offices because he wants the letters back. WHY would he want 'replicas' back?.

Very frustrating...
WATCH THE ESPN VIDEO SEGMENT where they interview Darren Rovell. He personally spoke to her, and gives his opinion....very honest.

Goldin Auctions and PSA/DNA Stand By Authenticity of Michael Jordan Memorabilia

WEST BERLIN, NJ – JAN. 15, 2014 – Goldin Auctions, the New Jersey based auction house that is currently offering more than 1,100 item of sports, entertainment, history and pop culture memorabilia in its 2014 Winter Auction is standing by the authenticity of every item in the auction including four particular pieces of Michael Jordan memorabilia that were questioned by Mrs. Deloris Jordan, the mother of Michael Jordan.
The four items Mrs. Jordan questioned include: Jordan’s University of North Carolina Diploma; a recruiting letter dated Aug. 12, 1980 from UNC Head Coach Dean Smith; a recruiting letter from Assistant Coach Bill Guthridge dated Feb. 19, 1980; and Jordan’s UNC undergraduate academic record.
“I have no doubt that Mrs. Jordan has numerous recruiting letters in her possession that she saved from her son Michael, and likely many from University of North Carolina. However, based upon scientific analysis, authentication from PSA and most important the ‘eye test’ that these documents are authentic, we find it highly unlikely that she has originals of these two particular letters in her possession,” explains Ken Goldin Founder of Goldin Auctions. “However if she can produce what she claims to be originals of these two exact letters dated Aug. 12, 1980 from UNC Head Coach Dean Smith and Feb. 19, 1980 from Assistant Coach Bill Guthridge, and we can verify that her versions are authentic, we will pull these two lots from the auction.”
"We stand behind our authenticators’ opinion 100 percent that what the auction is selling is real," said PSA/DNA president Joe Orlando. "And there hasn't been anything legitimate presented that contradicts the opinion of our authenticators. I respect Mrs. Jordan's approach and concern, but unless there's evidence to the contrary here, it doesn't mean much."
Here are the facts that reinforce Goldin Auctions’ confidence on the authenticity of the items.
• PSA/DNA the leading sports authenticator in the world inspected and certified each document as an original document, and each signature as an original signature not a copy. They are in the business of identifying copies and replicas.

• The paper the letters are printed on is Fox River Bond 25% cotton paper. This is a stationary that was popular in the 1980 time period.

• Both letters retain the original fold lines from being placed in the envelope 34 years ago both documents shows the typical wear and tear of a 34 year-old document

• The Dean Smith letter contains a handwritten note and a slight tearing of the ink that would only appear on an original

• The Guthridge letter has a 'slice' at the bottom of the letter, the type that would have been created by someone using a letter opener 34 years ago and unfortunately slicing off the very bottom portion of the stationary. Therefore, the letter itself does not have a straight edge at the bottom, but a curved edge to the paper. Something that would be nearly impossible to replicate.

• The academic transcript is an original transcript from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill with a print date of 9/27/1999. It is two sided and there is no doubt this is a document from UNC, as advertised.

• Through the office of the registrar at UNC-Chapel Hill, Goldin Auctions confirmed this to be an original diploma issued by UNC that could only be obtained by the actual student. UNC does allows students to obtain an additional diploma. The registrar’s office at UNC would not reveal if more than one Michael Jordan diploma was ever requested. As a result Goldin Auctions has advertised this item as an original Michael Jordan UNC college diploma that was displayed at the restaurant. If Mrs. Jordan produces another copy of the diploma, the listing will be revised to reflect that fact.

Thanks for the update Ken!
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 01-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

She learned it from Kobe's faimly.
What does Mike have to say about this?
Good Luck Ken, everyone wants there had in the cookie jar.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Ken Goldin

"Mike" has no comment, and his lawyer told me 'we do not represent Deloris Jordan'
Old 01-16-2014, 10:11 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengoldin View Post
"Mike" has no comment, and his lawyer told me 'we do not represent Deloris Jordan'
Thanks for all the info you've provided in this thread Ken. I thought it was important for you to get it out there. I thought it was ridiculous that she would refute two recruiting letters out of the hundreds he probably received. If she's right, it shouldn't be too difficult to go to her "vault" and find those two "originals."

Good luck with your auction!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:18 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Seeing the world through rose colored glasses, got to love the free advertising that Mrs. Jordan has so graciously provided! Good luck Ken...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:30 AM

I once had a piece of floor from Carmichael Auditorium where Jordan played college basketball. When they remodeled the floor the school sold the floor through a jewelry company IIRC. Anyway, I once tried to get Michael to sign it and he said it wasn't real, that he had it all in his basement. lol

I guess that was Michael trying to screw with me. This was actually where all the UNC floor for the UNC floor cards by Upper Deck originated.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:04 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagechris View Post
I once had a piece of floor from Carmichael Auditorium where Jordan played college basketball. When they remodeled the floor the school sold the floor through a jewelry company IIRC. Anyway, I once tried to get Michael to sign it and he said it wasn't real, that he had it all in his basement. lol

I guess that was Michael trying to screw with me. This was actually where all the UNC floor for the UNC floor cards by Upper Deck originated.
Did you get Michael's signature on it? Or anything else for that matter?
Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Ken Goldin

JSA has just certified them as well

as "Typed Letters Signed" on "Fox River Bond Paper" that are "authentically Signed"...etc
So much for Deloris Jordan claim of having the originals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jsasmith.jpg (46.5 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg jsaguth.jpg (45.2 KB, 241 views)
Old 01-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
JSA has just certified them as well

as "Typed Letters Signed" on "Fox River Bond Paper" that are "authentically Signed"...etc
So much for Deloris Jordan claim of having the originals.
That and dime will get you a cup of coffe. You have to go on tv and challange her.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Ken Goldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
That and dime will get you a cup of coffe. You have to go on tv and challange her.
I was on WGN last night and challenged her to produce these 2 exact letters.
"more to follow"
you know me
Old 01-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

This is all super interesting because Jordan is not commenting at all. His mother is calling someone that obtained items that were shown in his restaurants are fake and said items are going to sell for 10s of thousands of dollars. I think this won't get put to bed unless one of 2 things occur.

1. She goes to her "vault" and shows the items we have.
2. Jordan comes out and says the items in his restaurant were not replicas, hence giving the ultimate provenance.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Jim M.arinari

I see a new reality series. "Real Mother's of Goldin Auctions"
Old 01-16-2014, 04:49 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
LoL
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 01-16-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
Did you get Michael's signature on it? Or anything else for that matter?
No, he shot me down.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:16 PM

Well it gets publicity every time he has run ins with Kobe's Mom and now Jordan's Mom and if there is one thing Ken Golden HATES, its publicity!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Ken Goldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
"Hello, Mrs. James? "
Old 01-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Mike Kaminski

Quote:
"Hello, Mrs. James? "
"No, this is Delonte speaking."
Old 01-16-2014, 07:15 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I remember the Guernsey's auction in 1999 when they auctioned McGwire's 70th ball for 3 million. They also had a bunch of other great items including Mickeys 500th HR ball. Well the ball got pulled because Mick's wife Merlin claimed they had HR #500. Problem was, her ball wasn't even an official AL ball. It was another brand that Mick had written "my 500th HR" on. Sad, he was scamming his own family.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears

Tags
auction, ken goldin, michael jordan