NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-03-2022, 06:59 PM

Default Johnny Blanchard Glove

Hi all,

Finished all my work I wanted to get done today, so I'm treating myself to check out ebay. Here is what caught my eye, an original (it says) Johnny Blanchard catcher's mitt. Vintage 1960’s John Blanchard Rawlings Model 4C Catchers Glove New York Yankees is the title of the auction.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a newbie when it comes to gloves. My first feeling is $10 is really cheap to start out, probably will get more bids closer to ending. 2nd feeling is, nowhere in the title or description does it say original what (store model, game used or what). What do all of you glove mavens think about it?

Thanks for any help.

Brian Blankenburg (a proud Yankee fan since 1960) :-)
Old 05-03-2022, 08:12 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27529222156...MAAOSwk9liani9
It looks to me like a kids glove endorsed by Blanchard that was sold at department and sporting good stores in the mid 60's.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:06 AM

Default thanks

Thanks Cliff. I looked at the price and had a feeling that's what it was. 1 Question, how can you tell? I wouldn't mind starting a small collection of Yankees game used gloves. What should I look for and what not to look for.

Thanks.

Brian
Old 05-04-2022, 10:00 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I would just assume a glove/mitt is not game used, unless the seller provides one of the following...

1. Provenance or family letter, documenting the glove's history

2. LOA from PSA, Mears, Esken or major Auction House which authenticates the Glove as game-used.

3. Photo evidence of player in question wearing or using the glove.

Contemporary gloves have professional embroidery of players' names into the leather. But older gloves (like the Blanchard) would typically just have his uniform number applied in marker.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:42 PM

Perezfan, thanks for the things to look for. That sure helps me.

Brian