NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Default Mastro LIVE Auction at the National??

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Apparently Mastro will be conducting a LIVE auction at the National Card Convention this summer (end of July?) in Cleveland??

I presume they will have internet and phone bidding available as well for anyone who isn't able to attend... but hopefully they will coordinate the "off-premises" bidding a lot BETTER than Sotheby's does.

The action moves a lot faster at a LIVE auction... so I don't really know how an internet bidder could keep up with what the current bid is, which item is up for bid, etc.

Sounds like a big task to pull off effectively.

Thoughts?

Old 04-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I wasn't planning on getting to Cleveland until Saturday - but this sounds like a can't miss event... wish I had a few million to spend.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

I agree with Hal that it would be a real challenge to combine a live auction with an internet auction. Because of the pace of the bidding in the room and over the phone, the auction houss are way too busy to record everything that is happening for the internet. At live auctions, computer bids are no different than absentee bids. But that is OK because if you really want an item you can either make a point to be present or else arrange for the auction to call you when your item comes up. Works fine.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Has anyone seen any print ads or press releases for this auction with a specific date??

Old 04-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It will be on Friday August 3rd.....at an off site venue....

Old 04-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Hal,

Don't get too excited. I thought you were trying to sell your collection...don't start buying again before your ready to.

Peter

Old 04-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

I'm excited about the prospect of everyone on the site getting hammered at the Net54 dinner and then walking over to the auction and bidding on things they won't remember in the morning!

Now THAT would make for some interesting reading on here!

Old 04-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

that the dinner was moved to Thursday.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Administrator

I wonder if it's free admission?

I presume it's in some big ballroom or something?

Old 04-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I was in an ebay live auction that went off beautifully despite the presence of live, phone and internet bidding. It just takes effort and coordination.

What I'd like to see is a real "live" auction; no phones, no faxes, no internet, just everyone who cares to show up.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Hal,

Are you selling any of your cards in this auction?

Old 04-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Josh:

I might decide to do so if it will work, which is why I am wondering whether it's a good idea or not.

It would be cool to sell a few cards in a live auction.

It would not be cool to sell cards that underperform just because the format didn't work.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I hope it's FREE admission. If not, after the hotel costs, parking, admission, etc,... I won't be able to afford the cost just to enter that live auction !!!

Old 04-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

is there anything you want to say about the live auction at the National.

Peter

Old 04-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Thanks Hal - personally, I dont think it will get as much exposure as an internet based auction - of course, since its at the national, you will likely have all the big hitters there, so it may not matter.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Superior did a live auction at the 2003 National I believe. You can get the prices from that and compare them to other prices of the day. As I recall there weren't any great steals because it was a live auction format. That said, that was many beers ago.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

Superior went out of business didn't they?

Old 04-12-2007, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I believe Superior was owned by, or a part of CU/PSA. I always thought it was a major conflict of interest for a grading company to be selling their own cards? I got the highest graded N284 (Buchner Gold Coin) in existence from one of their auctions. Ironically it was in an SGC holder ......I have since had it put into a newer SGC holder....BTW, I am told there will be a set of cards for sale in the Mastro Live auction that is absolutely unbelievable. Almost monumental.....I won't tell what though as it's not my place to...I think there will be enough exposure that any lots in the Mastro Live Auction will do fine......best regards

Old 04-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

The live auction at the 2003 AC National went well from a logistics perspective. I attended with a bunch of hobby friends. I had had too many beers and didn't bid.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug Allen

Hey Guys,

I would be happy to discuss this event as I am incredibly excited about it. We started with a low key ad in the catalog because we are going to really begin promoting it after this auction.

Although we believe the manner in which we produce multi consignor auctions is the way to generally conduct premium sports auctions...and rest assured at the National we will be handing out a monster Summer Premium Auction catalog...we do believe there is a place for live events.

What do we believe is the secret formula? Number one you have to have them in a place where it will be well attended. What better attendance than the National! Number two you have to present fresh, special items limited quantity but not in quality. This event will be limited to 100 incredible items. Obviously there will be $5 to $10k vintage items mixed in but overall the event will have some incredible items from every category of vintage collectibles.
Memorabilia - Mantle's 500th Home run Ball
Autographs - Some incredible signed baseballs that have never hit the market before.
Game Used Equipment - Rookie era DiMaggio bat, Ruth and Cobb bats
Cards - Best of the best T206 Wagner, incredible offering of T215 Pirate cards (this collection will drive folks crazy both from the perspective of completeness and condition)

The list goes on!

We have recently hired Nick Dawes an ex Sothebys auctioneer and participant on the Antique Roadshow who will run our live auction division. Most of our live aucitons will be outside of the sports arena but we hope to hold some special one-of-a-kind events when the material and venue lends itself to such a format.

Hope this provides some insight.

All the best,
Doug

Old 04-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Sign me up!!!!

Old 04-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

WOW !!! - I was going to go downtown Friday night to the clubs, but I think I might get more excited at the auction.
What's the dress code ? Do I need a suit & tie ?

Old 04-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

Will there be any pre-bidding by internet or live internet bidding? If it is only a "live on-site" auction then that would preclude me.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Spillman

The Florida United Numismatists (FUN) is host of the nation's largest coin show, held annually at the beginning of January in Orlando FL. Heritage Auction Galleries conducts many separate live floor/online auctions throughout the four day convention. They offer a tremendous amount of material much of which is auctioned off simultaneously in different rooms. ie) colonials, world, gold, currency, etc.

The great advantage is being able to examine each item of interest first hand. Then taking the items you won home with you.