NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-29-2022, 12:19 PM
Tim Odeen

Default Alteration Debate: 1997 UD Griffey Patch Card

On Griffey Facebook group there is currently a debate about the iconic 1997 UD Griffey patch card. A collector is on the hunt for 24 of them, and he is going to send them into private signings and have them auto'd. It's about a 50/50 split whether this should happen with this card, and whether this is classified as an alteration. I have no feeling about it. When patch cards first started coming out in the late 90s, and I had moral outrage about cutting up Babe Ruth bats and jerseys. But eventually I developed a ce la vie attitude.

What do you all think?

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 05-29-2022, 12:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Were some of the originals issued with a signature and the issue is that these may be confused for those? Otherwise I can't see a problem if someone wants to get his card signed.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-29-2022, 02:43 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Alteration, no.
There are people who don't want to see non-auto 1/1s signed, but for unnumbered patch cards, whatever.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-29-2022, 02:44 PM
Tim Odeen

For historical significance it is one of the first jersey patch cards ever created - with Gwynn and Rey Ordonez. As far a I know the card was not issued autographed. The argument is that the limited print run should necessitate retaining original state. Others are arguing about buybacks, etc. As is, it's pushing $1500 or more.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 05-29-2022, 09:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

I can't see how it's an alteration. That said, I'd rather own that card in its original state.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-29-2022, 09:50 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I mean I suppose that technically having a card signed is altering it, but I cannot fathom why getting ones cards autographed by the athlete on them would cause distress to any reasonable person.

Last edited by G1911; 05-29-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:11 PM
Steve Birmingham

It seems a bit crazy to lay out 36K for cards to get autographed.
But whoever it is will probably do it.

To resell? To make some crazy display?

Not what I'd do.

And it's sort of funny that if I write on a card it's altered, if the pictured person writes on it it's a wonderful thing....
Old 05-30-2022, 12:26 AM
Tim Odeen

He finally uploaded a picture of the start of his journey. $36k + (24 × $300 auto fee). $300 was what TriStar requested for their May signing.

Like I said, I got over it long ago when they started destroying historical memorabilia. Adding a signature to a card doesn't bother me. But 50% of people were arguing this card has such historical significance to the hobby that it should be retained in its original state. Do others on this board have that same feeling?

Old 05-30-2022, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
But 50% of people were arguing this card has such historical significance to the hobby that it should be retained in its original state.
I'd never heard of this card before, so I have doubts about its historical significance. But then again, this is a pre-war message board (even if it's the modern side of it), so I'm probably not in the right demographic here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Do others on this board have that same feeling?
No. I can't imagine objecting to an autographed card. Assuming we could be certain it's genuine, an autographed Wagner (a card with indisputably more historical significance) would be awesome.
Old 05-30-2022, 01:12 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
I'd never heard of this card before, so I have doubts about its historical significance. But then again, this is a pre-war message board (even if it's the modern side of it), so I'm probably not in the right demographic here.

No. I can't imagine objecting to an autographed card. Assuming we could be certain it's genuine, an autographed Wagner (a card with indisputably more historical significance) would be awesome.
It's the first year they introduced the relic card, so for collectors who chase after the relic/auto/#'d cards this is a big deal. To Griffey collectors this is peg 1 on the patch card database.

In baseball, it was a three card set with Gwynn and Rey Ordonez. So Griffey obviously carries the weight.

Old 05-30-2022, 03:42 PM

I think they look awesome signed. Collecting is all about having fun and what makes you all warm and happy inside.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:48 PM
Jonathan Sterling

And now that he has 24 of them signed. Did he have Mr. Griffey number them? If not anyone can buy one or 2 and have them signed and ruin his player number run..( on the other hand big Griffey fan with the funds I am sure he likes the display) But if enough get signed eventually the unsigned versions will outpace the signed ones.
J
Old 06-01-2022, 06:27 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I mean I suppose that technically having a card signed is altering it, but I cannot fathom why getting ones cards autographed by the athlete on them would cause distress to any reasonable person.
Reasonable people don't collect cards though, so . . .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2022, 06:39 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Well, I am of the opinion that the cards are his and his to do what he wishes. If he wants them autographed, so what, more power to him.

I cannot see a downside to his decision to do what he wishes with his cards.

YMMV

Butch Turner

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:50 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Reasonable people don't collect cards though, so . . .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
You don't have to roast me like that
Old 06-03-2022, 07:36 PM
Carl0s Ay.ala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I can't see how it's an alteration. That said, I'd rather own that card in its original state.
+ 1
Old 06-06-2022, 08:37 AM

Wow I didn’t realize how much these sell for now! I regret not picking one up years ago.

I just looked and there is a signed one on eBay right now. Will be interesting to see where it ends.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:10 AM
T!M R10rd@n

No skin in this game, but I believe those that feel strongly about them remaining as originally issued are free to acquire them unsigned and maintain them as such, otherwise they can Shut The F*** Up!

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 06-06-2022, 11:30 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
No skin in this game, but I believe those that feel strongly about them remaining as originally issued are free to acquire them unsigned and maintain them as such, otherwise they can Shut The F*** Up!
Who peed in your cornflakes?

Expressing an opinion is just that. No need to be "that guy" about it.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:58 PM

I don't understand the debate. People get cards signed every day. Sometimes they are common cards and sometimes they're super rare. While your preference might be for a super-rare card to be maintained in it's original shape, people can do what they want, and usually do. I thought for a second the story was that the guy was collecting these in order to make one big patch out of the jersey bits or something, which really would destroy them, but if he's just getting them signed then I don't get what the big deal is.

As to calling it a historic artifact or whatever, yes it was one of the first baseball jersey cards (and baseball wasn't even the first sport to have them), but there were plenty of these made, more than were packed out because they were used as replacements for other things. I had a Frank Robinson 500 HR Club POH card that had something wrong with the surface. I sent it in to be replaced and was told they couldn't but sent me the Griffey jersey card instead. I'd heard from a couple people at the time that they also got Griffey jersey cards as replacements as well.

I just wonder if there would be such a debate if the target was Rey Ordonez.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:26 PM
Kevin
Kev.in Th.omas

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
While I don't necessarily understand the strong, impassioned tone, I do tend to agree with the sentiment.

The 50% of Griffey collectors who are torn up about this should have put their money where their hearts were, purchased all available copies, and sent them to be entombed in the PWCC vault for perpetual, unaltered safe keeping. This would have ensured the cards remained in their original historical state.

(Oh the irony...to suggest that the solution to keeping them unaltered would be to send them to PWCC! LOL)
Old 06-10-2022, 10:31 PM

If they are trying to buy up every copy and have them all signed I guess that could warrant some pushback if there would be no unsigned ones left. Unsure from the OPs post if that is what they are doing or not. If there are plenty of copies of this card then it shouldn't matter.