NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-06-2022, 09:52 AM
Mark

Default Wrong backs in 2022 Topps base set

I never really heard any answers to this, but why are there 36 cards in the Topps first series set that have their backs printed upside from the other cards in the set?
There is no such problem in the second series?
Old 07-06-2022, 01:01 PM
John I.

Because Topps has to release so many sets they're constantly rushed, and make tons of stupid little errors. No real reason.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:15 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
I never really heard any answers to this, but why are there 36 cards in the Topps first series set that have their backs printed upside from the other cards in the set?
There is no such problem in the second series?
Just a guess. Are they all printed upside or can you find those 36 cards both ways? If both ways it could be some "special" short print version.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:27 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1941 View Post
Because Topps has to release so many sets they're constantly rushed, and make tons of stupid little errors. No real reason.
Agreed. They failed last year in Heritage putting the wrong backs on a ton by accident, as well.
https://www.comc.com/Cards,sr,=2021+...rong+back,i100

So either they laid out the print sheet wrong and then corrected it, or they printed entire sheets with the wrong set of backs at the factory presses.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:45 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Agreed. They failed last year in Heritage putting the wrong backs on a ton by accident, as well.
https://www.comc.com/Cards,sr,=2021+...rong+back,i100

So either they laid out the print sheet wrong and then corrected it, or they printed entire sheets with the wrong set of backs at the factory presses.
if I'm reading the OP correctly, he is concerned because he has to "flip the card over" to read the back. I think that's because of the printing process

From what I heard, the Heritage Wrong Backs from 2022 came because of where Topps printed some of those cards (France) and those printers were not as experienced about card backs as the USA printing houses
Old 07-09-2022, 11:42 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Just a guess. Are they all printed upside or can you find those 36 cards both ways? If both ways it could be some "special" short print version.
Hi Ben, while SPs can be hard to notice the CMP codes used on modern Topps can always confirm if anything is a true error or a short print.

The flipped stock on these is just poor QC and still a common issue 71 years later. Here is what I mean about CMP codes with this photo I found on the net.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9940AD90-29A3-4B76-9197-CC87826EA19E.jpeg (128.4 KB, 52 views)

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 07-09-2022 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-09-2022, 01:49 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Hi Ben, while SPs can be hard to notice the CMP codes used on modern Topps can always confirm if anything is a true error or a short print.

The flipped stock on these is just poor QC and still a common issue 71 years later. Here is what I mean about CMP codes with this photo I found on the net.
Thank you, I learned something new today. That is cool that Topps done that with CMP codes.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:10 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Not always true. Topps does sometimes leave those codes the same on some variations, so while they're usually accurate, it is not perfect. And many people can't read text that small.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 07-09-2022 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2022, 03:18 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Not always true. Topps does sometimes leave those codes the same on some variations, so while they're usually accurate, it is not perfect. And many people can't read text that small.
Correct, it is not perfect but a great point of reference for unlisted sp’s and ssp’s. The codes tend to differ often if the card is noted with chance of pull. Just throwing out that a 1:300 pack pull (just an example) can have a specific number with something differing in those last three spots.

I find that the info is usually available with a quick net search after each release to answer most questions.

…and yes indeed, I certainly can’t read those without a loupe anymore, lol.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 07-10-2022 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-10-2022, 03:46 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Correct, it is not perfect but a great point of reference for unlisted sp’s and ssp’s. The codes tend to differ often if the card is noted with chance of pull. Just throwing out that a 1:300 pack pull (just an example) can have a specific number with something differing in those last three spots.

I find that the info is usually available with a quick net search after each release to answer most questions.

…and yes indeed, I certainly can’t read those without a loupe anymore, lol.
Loupe, I was more thinking microscope at this point. I have actually quit collecting the 89 Fleer Randy Johnson errors because they are just too hard to see anymore.