NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2022, 06:21 PM
ErikV

Default A public apology

To the Net54 community,

Joe Tinker/Johnny Evers. Ty Cobb/Sam Crawford. Babe Ruth/Lou Gehrig. Juan Marichal/John Roseboro.
Throughout various eras in baseball history, there have been several notable long-held grudges.
Similar to the way these greats have held ill will, I too have allowed a lingering grievance to fester far too long.
I am writing to mend fences.

In 2017, a situation between myself and two N54 members arose almost simultaneously and I completely mishandled both incidents.
As a result, I have withheld posting on this board all this time. I take full responsibility for my behavior.
I regret the way I handled and conducted myself. For that, I owe both of these members a public and private amends,
and the N54 community an apology. In the future, I will do better.

In addition to making this public apology to them and to the board, I have also reached out offline and offered amends to both of them.
I seek neither sympathy nor accolades, nor am I doing this to appear virtuous; I'm simply trying to do the right thing.
While the jury is still out, I hope that there will still be room at the Net54 table for me to rejoin this community once again.

Erik V.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:39 PM
Sean Brennan

Good on ya Eric. I dont know the situation but I know the world lacks humility and I am always proud to see any individual speak out in this manner as I am sure it is not an easy thing to do. Hopefully the others involved have given you as much and we can all move upwards and onwards
Old 12-05-2022, 06:46 PM
Doug Goodman

Sorry, I don't see how your post qualifies as a public apology.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:02 PM

Works for me...details are not necessary. Acknowledging mistakes and moving forward in a positive way will always be the best way to handle something less than ideal from the past.

Brian (I wish I made mistakes so I could follow my own advice)
Old 12-05-2022, 07:08 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
Good on ya Eric. I dont know the situation but I know the world lacks humility and I am always proud to see any individual speak out in this manner as I am sure it is not an easy thing to do. Hopefully the others involved have given you as much and we can all move upwards and onwards
+1 well said

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 12-05-2022, 07:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

I don't mean to offend but I'm sort of with Doug here. Presumably the purpose of a "public apology" is to seek some sort of forgiveness but I don't know how anyone other than the two people involved can make that judgment with no context at all. If this was well publicized and I'm forgetting, different matter.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-05-2022 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:34 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I don't mean to offend but I'm sort of with Doug here. Presumably the purpose of a "public apology" is to seek some sort of forgiveness but I don't know how anyone other than the two people involved can make that judgment with no context at all. If this was well publicized and I'm forgetting, different matter.
It's not easy for a fella to post on a public forum and admit he was a heel, he doesn't owe me an apology and he reached out to the two guys he does owe an apology too. I'm always impressed when I see someone gain a little insight, humility, and personal growth.

Now I know we're all waiting for Kevin Mize to return with hat in hand but I think that's a bridge too far...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 12-05-2022, 07:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
It's not easy for a fella to post on a public forum and admit he was a heel, he doesn't owe me an apology and he reached out to the two guys he does owe an apology too. I'm always impressed when I see someone gain a little insight, humility, and personal growth.

Now I know we're all waiting for Kevin Mize to return with hat in hand but I think that's a bridge too far...
If he did I am sure his apology would grade 9 oc.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Mize was banned, Erik (hi Erik) wasn't.

Last edited by Leon; 12-06-2022 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Mize was banned, Eric wasn't.
A long and distinguished list, that.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:05 PM
Frank Wakefield

I see Doug's and Peter's point. It's not a public apology when you say I'm sorry, but not what for. Calling it a public apology doesn't make it one.

I'm not saying a public apology is needed, although I suspect that it would help. And I don't know, or don't recall the situation, but Doug's point seems valid.

Sounds like Erik has started out on a good beginning to the path, but has a bit further to go?
Old 12-05-2022, 08:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think Frank states it perfectly.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:20 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Now that’s funny!
Old 12-05-2022, 08:30 PM

Only on net54 does a guy get bashed for making an apology. Tough fucking crowd.

Good for you Erik. Welcome back (I have no idea what you are apologizing for, but apparently you now owe another apology for calling whatever you posted a “public apology”).

The Mize comments, on the other hand, are classic

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 12-05-2022 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

Good for you Erik. Welcome back (I have no idea what you are apologizing for, but apparently you now owe another apology for calling whatever you posted a “public apology”).

Neither Doug, Frank nor I are bashing Erik at all.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-05-2022 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:43 PM
J@mes In.gram

I have no idea what any of this is all about, and I suspect it was before my time. Thus, none of my business. That said, welcome back, sir.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 12-05-2022, 08:44 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Welcome back.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:45 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post

Agree with Phil's take on this one. I am fine with a public acknowledgement of a private apology.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 12-05-2022, 08:47 PM
J@E R1T0

I’d grade this apology an “Auth” as I sense sincerity and a genuine regret, coupled with an honest desire to move forward. Props to the OP and welcome back!

To qualify the grade given, the apology may have some surface issues related to context and degree of deviation, yet it also reveals well-centered and thoughtful meditation on the part of the one seeking forgiveness. The regret is obviously acute and sharply defined. The ambiguous edges of the remorse, however, do create a modest lack of clarity.

I recommend a 30 minute soak to clean up the surface problem and we’ll have a solid NM-MT apology.

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:13 PM
T0NY @

Quote:
Only on net54 does a guy get bashed criticized for making an apology. Tough fucking crowd.

Fixed it for you Ryan! Erik, welcome back.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:49 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Agree with Phil's take on this one. I am fine with a public acknowledgement of a private apology.
I agree with this. While I am curious now I'm certainly not owed any explanation. And as Eric was never banned even this public acknowledgement of a private apology was not necessary.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:46 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I agree with this. While I am curious now I'm certainly not owed any explanation. And as Eric was never banned even this public acknowledgement of a private apology was not necessary.
I agree. Don't know any of the details aside from what's in the thread. But do know that in this day and age, forgiveness and humility are increasingly in short supply, so glad to see so many extending forgiveness for whatever happened here. Hopefully those directly affected by whatever initially happened feel whatever private amends made proved sufficient.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:01 AM
Doug Goodman

Look, I appreciate that whoever Erik owes his apology to knows exactly what he is talking about, and probably appreciates the thought, but I still don't see how his apology now qualifies as being 'public'.

But, if it does by the definition of the majority of this board, then I also would like to apologize 'in public' to nobody in particular about nothing specific.

Boy, I feel a lot better about that, thank you.

Now I can can move on with my life fully cleansed of my indiscretion.

Doug 'sorry, I still don't get it' Goodman
Old 12-06-2022, 05:46 AM
Albert Bee

Default sorry

I think its a solid thing he has done

From a " nosey " standpoint. .Id like to hear the whole story behind it

But, apologize ..and move on
Old 12-06-2022, 06:31 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
But it would be priced as a straight 9.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:44 AM
Rich Klein

From Erik's list -- Ruth and Gehrig made up very publicly on July 4, 1939 and Juan Marichal did one of the eulogies at John Roseboro's funeral.

Things can get healed and I for one appreciate healing a lot.

Rich

P.S. We did have ONE person who forgot to hit send for Secret Santa and I have room to get him a match if anyone wants to join in
Old 12-06-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
From Erik's list -- Ruth and Gehrig made up very publicly on July 4, 1939 and Juan Marichal did one of the eulogies at John Roseboro's funeral.

Things can get healed and I for one appreciate healing a lot.

Rich

P.S. We did have ONE person who forgot to hit send for Secret Santa and I have room to get him a match if anyone wants to join in
This Secret Santa who failed to 'hit send' better issue a public apology with all the juicy details or else suffer the wrath of Net54!

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 12-06-2022 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:55 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

I would posit that much depends on whose forgiveness the OP is seeking.

Is the OP seeking to confess his sins against the hobby and receive absolution from the high priests of net54? If so, then I suppose those high priests might insist that more context will be required before a final decision can be rendered.

On the other hand, if the OP has privately discussed the situation with the counterparties specifically involved in the matters identified, and those counterparties have requested a public posting demonstrating the humility and contrition of the OP, then it strikes me that the decision regarding whether the post is sufficient is entirely up to those counterparties.

Certainly if the OP is seeking acceptance from the broader community, and a declaration that the OP has been cleansed from his former iniquity, then we may all feel the need to know more. And if not, then I guess at least now we know to be more guarded in our dealings with the OP.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 12-06-2022, 09:00 AM
Paul Lehr

I've always found it amusing that grown men can get so worked up over baseball cards.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:54 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
But it would be priced as a straight 9.
And bumped 1,000 times over a 10 year period.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:05 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Look, I appreciate that whoever Erik owes his apology to knows exactly what he is talking about, and probably appreciates the thought, but I still don't see how his apology now qualifies as being 'public'.

But, if it does by the definition of the majority of this board, then I also would like to apologize 'in public' to nobody in particular about nothing specific.

Uncalled for sarcasm
Old 12-06-2022, 11:22 AM
Dave

It's a mystery, wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma, surrounded by a conundrum, and coated in a sweet, sweet chocolate truffle.

It's the Russian Nesting Doll of apologies.

Interest = piqued.

Stakes = low

Popcorn = Mandatory!

Last edited by D. Bergin; 12-06-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:58 AM
Robert J. Miller

I appreciate the fact that he is taking responsibility for his actions and making this apology.
The definition of apology as I looked on the internet.....a regretful acknowledgment of an offense or failure.
It seems the OP is doing just that. Stating on the board that he takes full responsibility of how he handled both situations and will do better in the future.
Some feel that it is not an apology because he is not stating what happened. Maybe he is not stating what happened because he is respecting the two people he offended by not going into specifics. Maybe they prefer not to be mentioned by name or situation. I am sure the OP would not care if either of them explained what happened.
Just my take on it.
Bob
Old 12-06-2022, 01:02 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
It's a mystery, wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma, surrounded by a conundrum, and coated in a sweet, sweet chocolate truffle.

It's the Russian Nesting Doll of apologies.

Interest = piqued.

Stakes = low

Popcorn = Mandatory!

Excellent!
Old 12-06-2022, 02:41 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
I've always found it amusing that grown men can get so worked up over baseball cards.
Paul, what the heck is wrong with you? Are you telling me that you don't feel the passion when someone calls your card a "7" when you know for sure it's a "9" or "10"? OMG -

Could you imagine what this place would be like if it were nothing but Kumbaya? This place would be boring.

Some of those train wreck threads can be "entertaining". I'll see you in the parking lot at the National...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G52aaTFibHo
Old 12-06-2022, 03:01 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Paul, what the heck is wrong with you? Are you telling me that you don't feel the passion when someone calls your card a "7" when you know for sure it's a "9" or "10"? OMG -

Could you imagine what this place would be like if it were nothing but Kumbaya? This place would be boring.

Some of those train wreck threads can be "entertaining". I'll see you in the parking lot at the National...

In my limited time here, I've seen some legendary train wrecks. The Honus Wagner photoshop might take the cake however.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-06-2022, 03:05 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post

Come on Doug. We all "know" it was you that gave the S.O.D. the sketchy patch cord that led to this.... You can admit it now.

warning, strong language and strange humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_frXYiZ-cAo
Old 12-06-2022, 03:14 PM
Paul Lehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post

Oh, the train wrecks are definitely entertaining. I just don't want to be in the middle of them.
Old 12-06-2022, 03:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Oh, the train wrecks are definitely entertaining. I just don't want to be in the middle of them.
When I am stuck in traffic, I am always glad I am not the reason for it.
Old 12-06-2022, 03:23 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
Uncalled for sarcasm
Hahaha, well, once you get to know me you will find out that my actual middle name is 'sarcasm', and as my wife likes to say 'Sarcasm, it's how I hug'
Old 12-06-2022, 03:30 PM
Bry@n

I have known Erik for years (through Net54), exchanging lots of emails about cards and research, families, and life. I have always thought he is great all around and admit I am a bit shocked something might have transpired for which he would feel this type of responsibility. I don't need any details about what it was - we all make mistakes, including mishandling situations every now and then, and whatever it was he is going above and beyond by owning it both privately and publicly. I say well done Erik.

And because every thread needs a card (and some lotion and towels)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fake wagner loser.jpg (67.0 KB, 661 views)
Old 12-06-2022, 04:31 PM

Erik, 5 years is a long time and I'm glad you've taken whatever action you needed to for closure - at least on your part. Whoever the other parties are, it's up to them now. Sometimes we either forgive or die with it.

Short story to make you feel better - maybe.

About 15 years ago or so I was returning from a business trip to Puerto Rico. I was changing flights in Dallas. I purchased a coffee from a Starbucks kiosk in the airport. They got my order wrong. I requested a replacement. The barista told me they got the order correct. The "He said - she said" went on for a few minutes and they refused to replace my coffee. I said ok, but I will never purchase another coffee from Starbucks and started my one-man boycott of Starbucks. That was a long time ago and I have never bought another coffee from Starbucks. Starbucks is still doing fantastic business and I have missed out on a lot of good coffees. Sometimes I wonder if it was just the individual that I dealt with or was it the culture of Starbucks.

Hopefully, you will pick up on the analogy of my personal experience and yours.

Sorry you're getting some negative comments regarding your apology and welcome back!

P.S. I'm still boycotting Starbucks! However, if someone else buys I'm all in.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:44 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Erik, 5 years is a long time and I'm glad you've taken whatever action you needed to for closure - at least on your part. Whoever the other parties are, it's up to them now. Sometimes we either forgive or die with it.

Short story to make you feel better - maybe.

About 15 years ago or so I was returning from a business trip to Puerto Rico. I was changing flights in Dallas. I purchased a coffee from a Starbucks kiosk in the airport. They got my order wrong. I requested a replacement. The barista told me they got the order correct. The "He said - she said" went on for a few minutes and they refused to replace my coffee. I said ok, but I will never purchase another coffee from Starbucks and started my one-man boycott of Starbucks. That was a long time ago and I have never bought another coffee from Starbucks. Starbucks is still doing fantastic business and I have missed out on a lot of good coffees. Sometimes I wonder if it was just the individual that I dealt with or was it the culture of Starbucks.

Hopefully, you will pick up on the analogy of my personal experience and yours.

Sorry you're getting some negative comments regarding your apology and welcome back!

P.S. I'm still boycotting Starbucks! However, if someone else buys I'm all in.
I don’t think the comments are negative. I think the public apology part is difficult to understand when people don’t know the specifics of what he’s apologizing for. I think everyone gets his intent and respect it.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:50 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
I have known Erik for years (through Net54), exchanging lots of emails about cards and research, families, and life. I have always thought he is great all around and admit I am a bit shocked something might have transpired for which he would feel this type of responsibility. I don't need any details about what it was - we all make mistakes, including mishandling situations every now and then, and whatever it was he is going above and beyond by owning it both privately and publicly. I say well done Erik.

And because every thread needs a card (and some lotion and towels)...
OMG this guy is Eric? I love this dude as much as Adrian..
Old 12-06-2022, 05:12 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Come on Doug. We all "know" it was you that gave the S.O.D. the sketchy patch cord that led to this.... You can admit it now.

warning, strong language and strange humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_frXYiZ-cAo
All I can say about Goodman is that he's the butthead that posted something in a thread that made me spew coffee all over my keyboard one morning... I couldn't stop laughing when I saw his post, but then again, I had to clean my keyboard... butthead...no warning what so ever... just coffee all over the keyboard...
Old 12-06-2022, 05:24 PM
Daniel R.

Quote:

Ha! My thoughts exactly. I don't think anyone here is in a position to opine on the adequacy of an apology that does not involve any of us.

Erik, no one forced you to go out of your way to post this, so good for you. Hope whoever you feel that you wronged can appreciate the effort as well.

Cheers!

T206 HOF'ers: 3/76

Instagram: @TheRasmussenCollection
Old 12-06-2022, 05:30 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

wagnerguysantaslap.jpg
"Happy holidays, fellahs!!"

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 12-06-2022 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 05:36 PM
ErikV

Default Re: A public apology

Quote:
I wasn't going to add any more to the original post but it looks like I need to.

For those who need clarification,

This post summarizes it. I didn't like the way two transactions ended because
I didn't get my way! To the extent that it bled over into my not participating
for five years with the N54 community - similar to the Starbucks analogy/post -
I felt owning up to that portion was also the responsible thing to do.

To those who have been understanding, thanks.

Erik
Old 12-06-2022, 05:59 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Exactly

It's not really the OP's place to air all the details of the dispute - if the three people involved all agree that they want to air it all, then fine - but unless or until that happens, this seems like a pretty full acknowledgment and apology, and the rest of us should probably just accept it and move on, ya know?

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
I appreciate the fact that he is taking responsibility for his actions and making this apology.
The definition of apology as I looked on the internet.....a regretful acknowledgment of an offense or failure.
It seems the OP is doing just that. Stating on the board that he takes full responsibility of how he handled both situations and will do better in the future.
Some feel that it is not an apology because he is not stating what happened. Maybe he is not stating what happened because he is respecting the two people he offended by not going into specifics. Maybe they prefer not to be mentioned by name or situation. I am sure the OP would not care if either of them explained what happened.
Just my take on it.
Bob
Old 12-06-2022, 06:14 PM
Darrell

Quote:
now that is funny.. Thanks Paul - been a shitshow day .. I needed to laugh finally... that was good ... carry on... Darrell...