NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2022, 06:41 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

One of the reasons I so enjoy Net 54 so much, besides perhaps me being the grandfather of baseball chat rooms with Full Count some 20 odd years ago, is the basic level of civility we show each other rather than the toxic stew that flows out of so many social media sites.
Leon, who I have know for about 25 years, has taken my original primitive effort and brought it up to speed. The features and technology are just terrific.
Knowing the honest fellow that he is, I am sure Leon will publicly admit he stole my '38 Goudey Joe DiMaggio in 1996, but I don't expect a public apology.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:14 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Helfr.ich

This is a good website. Could be great if there weren't so many angry old men here. The angry are drowning out the rest.

Last edited by chjh; 12-06-2022 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:21 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Helfr.ich

If you responded to the OP anything other than 'welcome back let's talk cards' you might be part of the problem. Having an ability to deescalate drama is an important life skill.

Last edited by chjh; 12-06-2022 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:32 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chjh View Post
This is a good website. Could be great if there weren't so many angry old men here. The angry are drowning out the rest.
get off my lawn ya fzuk!!!! JK! Welcome back...I don't miss Kevin Mize one iota!
Old 12-06-2022, 08:50 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Too much attention on semantics?

1) Erik you left voluntarily, you were not kicked off - so whatever happened between you and said parties is imho between you and said parties.

2) I do understand the "confusion" around the idea of your communicated need to make a public apology. My understanding is a key part of a public apology is "saying out loud" what you stand accountable for - no need to involve the names of other parties, but relevant to state your actions for which you are apologizing.

3) That said, it is your own opinion about a need for a public apology - see #1

4) Welcome back!

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:07 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
OMG this guy is Eric? I love this dude as much as Adrian..
No, the guy pretending to have a Wagner was named Andrew Clinton. He *might* have also gone by the name Adrian, although I always thought those were two different people.

Either way; no, it wasn't Erik.

The "Nun's Wagner" scammer dude was banned.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-06-2022, 09:19 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by drazz5 View Post
Ha! My thoughts exactly. I don't think anyone here is in a position to opine on the adequacy of an apology that does not involve any of us.

Erik, no one forced you to go out of your way to post this, so good for you. Hope whoever you feel that you wronged can appreciate the effort as well.

Cheers!
But if it doesn't involve us, why involve us? Make your apologies to the aggrieved parties (and he says he did) and call it a day, no? I don't care either way, but I will say the post is confusing to me.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-07-2022, 05:45 AM
Tony Baldwin

chjh: This is a good website. Could be great if there weren't so many angry old men here. The angry are drowning out the rest.

My response: Being that I posted, and I’m 62, I don’t appreciate your comment “Could be great if there weren't so many angry old men here.”

chjh: If you responded to the OP anything other than 'welcome back let's talk cards' you might be part of the problem. Having an ability to deescalate drama is an important life skill.

My response: In reference to your two comments above, you failed to display the ability to deescalate drama, which is an important life skill, as you stated.

I don’t see any anger from any of the post. Just some confused and questioning the purpose of a public apology, when the public doesn’t understand what the public apology is specifically for.

I think if the OP posted something like, “Hey guys, been away for a while, but now I’m back” the OP would have received nothing but “Welcome back let’s talk cards.”

I showed my wife the OP’s post.

Wife: What is he apologizing for?
Me: I don’t know.
Wife: Then why is he making a public apology?
Me: I don’t know

As Aquarian Sports Cards posted: “But if it doesn't involve us, why involve us? Make your apologies to the aggrieved parties (and he says he did) and call it a day, no? I don't care either way, but I will say the post is confusing to me.”

This is same reasoning for those posts that were perceived as negative and angry.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:12 AM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
I've always found it amusing that grown men can get so worked up over baseball cards.
Best answer on this thread thx
Old 12-07-2022, 09:43 AM
Rich Klein

Default Only on Net 54

Can a well-meaning gesture set up a 60-post train wreck of a debate. How about we call it a day folks?

Rich
Old 12-07-2022, 09:56 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Of course you're gonna have that person who comes in and says this apology is not "good enough". OF COURSE you are. As long as the parties involved are cool why should anybody care for or need to know details? Geez Louise.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:05 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Can a well-meaning gesture set up a 60-post train wreck of a debate. How about we call it a day folks?

Rich
I am offended by your characterization of this as a train wreck and your suggestion that it stop.

I think that you should apologize.

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 12-07-2022, 10:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
No, the guy pretending to have a Wagner was named Andrew Clinton. He *might* have also gone by the name Adrian, although I always thought those were two different people.

Either way; no, it wasn't Erik.

The "Nun's Wagner" scammer dude was banned.
Adrian was a guy from Canada, Andrew I believe was from Tennessee, two different guys. Adrian was banned eventually. Adrian had some issues and developed a reputation for reneging on purchase commitments, although I don't think he ever failed to deliver on a card he sold. To this day I regret not buying a 311 he offered me at what even then was a very low price, I just didn't trust him and he refused to go through an intermediary. Another member ended up getting the card.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-07-2022 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:26 PM
D@n.M@tsing3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
Wife: What is he apologizing for?
Me: I don’t know.
Wife: Then why is he making a public apology?
Me: I don’t know
This pretty much sums it up to a t
Old 12-07-2022, 06:18 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
I've always found it amusing that grown men can get so worked up over baseball cards.
well cards and money..(unless talking about junk wax or regional cards for the most part) .its not like people ever committed crimes over money?

as to the apology i give it 'evidence of trimming' as we dont know the whole story..

also i am vindicated with my back and forth with Mize..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-07-2022 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:03 AM
Tony Baldwin

Erik V,

I would like to end this thread with an apology to you for what should have been nothing but a "feel good" post for you. Sometimes conversations take a turn in a different direction, but I know no one meant any harm. Wish you nothing but the best!
Old 12-08-2022, 06:08 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Adrian was a guy from Canada, Andrew I believe was from Tennessee, two different guys. Adrian was banned eventually. Adrian had some issues and developed a reputation for reneging on purchase commitments, although I don't think he ever failed to deliver on a card he sold. To this day I regret not buying a 311 he offered me at what even then was a very low price, I just didn't trust him and he refused to go through an intermediary. Another member ended up getting the card.
I had sooo many conversations on the phone with Adrian in Canada as we were both actively chasing the 14 CJ set at the time. My kids who are college age now but were much younger then, still tease me to this day about Adrian. If memory serves, he had a very rich brother that was funding his hobby purchases.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 12-08-2022, 06:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
I had sooo many conversations on the phone with Adrian in Canada as we were both actively chasing the 14 CJ set at the time. My kids who are college age now but were much younger then, still tease me to this day about Adrian. If memory serves, he had a very rich brother that was funding his hobby purchases.
AJ yeah I seem to recall that as well. But the problem was he kept buying cards and then not paying for them, he claimed he could not help himself due to OCD, it wsa hard to assess from afar.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:31 PM
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Only on net54 does a guy get bashed for making an apology. Tough fucking crowd.

Good for you Erik. Welcome back (I have no idea what you are apologizing for, but apparently you now owe another apology for calling whatever you posted a “public apology”).

The Mize comments, on the other hand, are classic
+100 here.... I've read a lot here and comment from time to time. Peter Spaeth, seems like a good guy but there's no quarter given by him in his first response to the apology, why? Not detailed enough?

I kinda like Net54, but at the same time, kinda don't... I really mean no offense to anyone but there are some difficult dudes here, but WHY?

Spaeth, 27,000+ posts in 13 years? That's literally an avg. of 5.5+ posts per day for 13 years but cannot simply take an apology..... sheesh
Old 12-08-2022, 09:08 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinPA View Post
+100 here.... I've read a lot here and comment from time to time. Peter Spaeth, seems like a good guy but there's no quarter given by him in his first response to the apology, why? Not detailed enough?

I kinda like Net54, but at the same time, kinda don't... I really mean no offense to anyone but there are some difficult dudes here, but WHY?

Spaeth, 27,000+ posts in 13 years? That's literally an avg. of 5.5+ posts per day for 13 years but cannot simply take an apology..... sheesh
To be fair this is not a public apology. I stand by my earlier comment. We were owed nothing, Eric was never banned, and was not required to make any public statement. But an apology should, in theory, state what one is sorry for, and who (whom?) one is apologizing to. This did neither.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
To be fair this is not a public apology. I stand by my earlier comment. We were owed nothing, Eric was never banned, and was not required to make any public statement. But an apology should, in theory, state what one is sorry for, and who (whom?) one is apologizing to. This did neither.
Careful you may get a reputation as a "difficult dude" too.

Old 12-08-2022, 09:31 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
I think that ship has sailed long ago
Old 12-08-2022, 09:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

From an online article.

An apology must convey a sense of recognition to the aggrieved. The apology issuer should correctly state what they have done wrong and connect that to the experience of the aggrieved.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:00 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post

…and who (whom?) one is apologizing to...
…and to whom one is apologizing…

(Just being “difficult” for kicks.)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-08-2022, 10:38 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinPA View Post
Well, since the initial post in this thread does not actually qualify as an apology in the eyes of many of us, then we don't know if Peter "cannot simply take an apology" because none was given for him to potentially take.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:57 PM
Bob Davies

Reading this, there went 15 minutes in my life that I will not get back.

I think I will apologize to myself.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:05 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Are we so starved for drama that we're going to make it out of a thread about a public apology about a private incident that not a single person here seems to know what the heck was even going on with?
Old 12-09-2022, 12:07 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

R.cb5f5df0ebd49bad505407c3b153af4a.jpeg

“What do I do to make net54er’s love me?
Oh, what have I gotta do to be heard by Spaeth and others?
What do I do when negative posts strike me?
What have I gotta do?
What have I gotta do?
Oooh, sorry seems to be the hardest, most confusing, unclear, bloody purposeless and quite ill-defined word...”

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:36 AM

Default 78 posts without a card ??? Sheesh !

...unless you count Adrian's Wagner.....

Old 12-09-2022, 10:06 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
…and to whom one is apologizing…

(Just being “difficult” for kicks.)

Wasn't sure to be honest, thanks.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:09 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
you think?
Old 12-10-2022, 08:32 PM
Frank Wakefield

+1 to Don M's wife's analysis.

This thread has exhausted most all potential for improvement of the dialog, the thread, and the board.

Mr. Leon, I move and vote that you pull the plug on this thread. Have mercy on us.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:44 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Adrian appeared to have a mental disorder, and I felt sorry for him.