NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Bill

Default Crossover Cobb?

Has anyone had any luck with crossover from SGC to PSA? I recently bought a Cobb (picture below) which is graded SGC 50, but the card is immaculate. I may be biased but I feel the card is undergraded and was thinking of submitting it to PSA to try and get a better grade. If so, I wasnt sure if I should crack it out of the slab and send it to PSA or if I should submit as a crossover to PSA in the SGC slab? I really value all of your opinions on this. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobb.jpg (77.4 KB, 303 views)
Old 06-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Matt Wieder

Conventional wisdom is that PSA has a bias against cards submitted in SGC slabs. Meanwhile, if you think SGC made a mistake, why not resubmit to SGC? If they can't bump it, they'll let you now why it warrants the assigned grade.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Crack it out

If you think the card should grade substantially higher you should crack it out. However you are probably missing some wrinkling/creasing that may only be apparent at the peoper angle. You should look at it in a room with only one light source to prevent glares and you will probably see the reason for the grade.

Last edited by glynparson; 06-08-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Joe M.

Here is my Cobb graded by PSA for comparison. But, I find that cards graded by PSA are sometimes overgraded. I'm not sure about this one though, you be the Judge.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baseballall256.jpg (53.7 KB, 283 views)

Last edited by jcmtiger; 06-08-2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-08-2010, 07:07 AM
Paul

Default You need....

....to call SGC and discuss the grade. The only way that card gets a 50/4 is with a spider wrinkle somewhere.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-08-2010, 07:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

Wrinkle. Flip it around under a strong light you will see it, I bet.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Given that you bought this card, it could have been graded a while ago, and calling SGC doesn't sound promising, as they won't remember the card. You could resubmit it to them, either raw or as is, some folks have recieved bumps, but I think mostly SGC has a rigid set of grading standards that lead to strange results like this.

Your other option would be to submit it raw to PSA.

I would only go through any of this hassle if you were thinking of selling the card, after all, it will be the same card no matter what the label on the slab says...
Old 06-08-2010, 10:34 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

FYI, the danger of cracking the card out of the slab is that if it comes back trimmed or altered, you might not be able to get it slabbed again, even if you sent it back to SGC.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Matt Hall

Default What I'd do...

I would leave it in the holder and send it to PSA. You can designate the lowest acceptable grade say a 6. They will evaluate the card in the holder and if they feel like they cannot bump your card, they will send it back in the holder with a voucher for your next grading.

If SGC made a mistake I'd imagine that PSA would enjoy correcting it for a possible new customer

The idea for resubmitting to SGC is also a good one. For some reason PSA graded cards sell higher than SGC. I assume it is because more people collect PSA registry sets than SGC. It may be worth it to them to pay more for the PSA card than buy the SGC card and possibly downgrade during crossover.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Glyn Parson

Default card is not trimmed

It is VERY VERY EASY to tell a trimmed national game or Tom Barker anyone that has ever seen one should no if one has been trimmed. You have nothing to lose crack it out, but I am almost gaurateeing (99.9% CHANCE) a wrinkle/crease
Old 06-08-2010, 08:03 PM

How are cards with rounded corners downgraded? If corners are completely taken out of the equation, barring a crease or stain, what makes one card a 10 and another a 7?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
How are cards with rounded corners downgraded? If corners are completely taken out of the equation, barring a crease or stain, what makes one card a 10 and another a 7?
Rounded corners can still get damaged
Old 06-09-2010, 05:40 AM
Bill

Thanks for all the feeback everyone. The only thing I can think og is that most of you are right, there must be a slight wrinkle/crease in there. But the slab must be concealing it somehow because last night I held that thing under the light of one lamp and studied for 20 minutes. I must have looked at it from every possible conceived angle. Nothing visible to these eyes and I have 20/20. Dunno.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Jason

Default Card is pretty banged up...

I mean, that thing has some significantly rounded corners!

in all seriousness though, I would crack and submit to PSA raw. I firmly believe biases do exist, as the graders are humans.