NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Default Ty Cobb Tobacco Tin

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2266730082

[edited to change title]

Old 09-04-2004, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: AAA, NASA grading

OK, one parting shot -

Why not cut out Ty Cobbs image with a pair of tin snips and send it to SGC for grading as the ultra rare "Ty Cobb Cut Plug" tin and call it the "TIN JOB". Lets make it really fancy and give it a good trim around the image because SGC will slab it. Look, SGC now slabs Scrapps so I'm sure a little cut out of a Tin Ty wouldn't be so difficult to slab.

Ok, I agree that this posting is cool because the item being referenced is pretty nice. I just wanted to possibly give some people an idea to really make this thing a truly unique relic from the past. I wanted to relate it to the ORANGE BORDER TY COBB thread to show just how ridiculous this hobby can get.

Again, stepping off my soap box with a lot of spit and venom left regarding the subject of the ORANGE BORDER TY COBB.

Old 09-04-2004, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

How do you make a statement like this:

"Heritage usually auctions material at the rate of 200-250 lots per hour."

and have only 917 feedback reports. And 24.5% buyers premium?

I think I'll pass. Cool box, though.

Old 09-04-2004, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

Why stop at cutting the whole image out when you could cut the image into even smaller tin pieces and put them into Topps or Fleer cards?

That way everyone could own a "piece of history"

Old 09-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Supposedly what T206 Ty Cobb backs came in. My guess would be that it would go for at least $30,000 to possibly $1,000,000. (?)

Old 09-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Richard,
There are more than 3 known, I've seen atleast a dozen over the years and would guess 40-50 exist. I believe the winning bid will be between 5000-10,000, but you never know. Anyway, It's nice to see interesting Tobacco items popping up. Congrats on the ELPDG box, I would have bid, but the Timewarner cable guy messed up my roadrunner.

Be well Brian

Old 09-04-2004, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Yes, couldn't let that one go.

thanks to you, I now have hope of maybe getting a Ty Cobb tin!

Old 09-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

These are NOT what the the Ty Cobb cards came in.

That is just some wishful speculation in the item description. Read it close.

The Ty Cobb card mentions "Smoking" on the back ... and if I am not mistaken, this stuff is for chewing?

Old 09-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hal,
I agree, most experts believe the Cobb back cards were never inserted into packs, but premiums which were given out. With less than 25 known examples, and 5 coming from the same individual, it's doubtful we will ever know the true story. Maybe Art will chime in with some additional information. Be well Brian

PS Art and Doug .... Where is the Book????

Old 09-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Up to $5000 now. Gonna go check it out in Long Beach, Calif.

http://www.heritagesportscollectibles.com/common/view_item.php?source=&Sale_No=701&Lot_No=19556

Old 09-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Sold for: $14,940.00!

http://www.heritagesportscollectibles.com/common/view_item.php?source=&Sale_No=701&Lot_No=19556

Old 09-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

$14,000 seems about right, maybe a little high based on condition. I do remember one selling in REA a while back for a ridiculous (sp?) amount. Also, just to echo everyone else, Ty Cobb backed cards most likely did NOT come in the tins. I believe the only reason why there is some speculation is that Lew bought a tin in the mid-80's that came with a Ty Cobb backed card. I may be wrong but I think I have the article in one of my Old Judge publications.

Old 09-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Evans

For the record, I bought the Cobb tin and thought it was a relative bargain at $12,000 plus the juice. There are more like ten known examples (if that) and it is the king of the baseball tobacco tins easily outpacing brethren like the Cy Young and more generic baseball advertising tins. That tin would have brought that price 10-15 years ago.

Halper had the nicest one I ever saw and got a ton for his (about 15 years ago) in a private sale. I cannot remember the price but it was $50,000-75,000. This is only the second one I have ever had. The only other one I had was a lot of years ago (more than ten) and it may have even been the same one but don’t’ quote me on that. I think it’s the back cover of one of my early auction catalogues.

Heck, the Bambino’s (also an upright tobacco tin) are selling for over $2-3,000 now (they’ve doubled over that period) and have literally dried up. Scgaynor just got a hefty price on eBay for one that wasn’t even that nice and they are at least 20 times more common than the Cobb. And the Cobb blows that away in terms of graphics, it is earlier, has a real player rather than being a silhouetted knockoff, and is wonderfully “card related” whether the card came inside or not (I don’t know the answer to that question). Even the “Yankee Boy” tins have dried up and I see them priced up to $1,000 now. They used to be as common as dirt and were selling for $300 when the Cobb’s in this condition sold for $15,000. There would be at least three or four at every Brimfield in the “good old days.”

Interesting that the bidding/competition came from the internet for this one. This might say that there was more competition from the advertising/tin collectors who are a lot more advanced about this area than we are (it’s all they do). And this in a sale where very little of the bidding (I was surprised about that) came from the internet as opposed to the room.

Old 09-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: qualitycards

Josh, did you snag this for your collection or will this be in an upcoming auction of yours?

Old 09-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Evans

I am going to put it in our next auction.