NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 05-19-2021, 01:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
So again, it’s not actually about saving lives, it’s about doing what you are told.

Nobody told you to wear a mask in 2019, because in 2019 we knew that surgical masks did not have much impact on airborne viral transmission of diseases, and it wasn’t a virtue signal event for social popularity points and moral posturing.
You are being willfully stupid now. Twisting and distorting is not valid argument. It isn't about doing what I am told, it's about doing what I am aware would help, and if nobody was discussing it, and they weren't, I had no such knowledge. It's pretty obvious that for better or worse with the pandemic there is an entirely different level of public discourse and awareness.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

As to the topic of whether masks in fact help, I do have some skepticism, but so far I've been persuaded I should err on the side of they might given what I've read.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:46 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Last edited by G1911; 04-24-2022 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:46 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
You should actually read what you link to.

In community and home settings, the use of facemasks and respirators generally are not recommended.
And you should read fully. I'm guessing you didn't click on the link that provided a table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recommendation.JPG (17.9 KB, 107 views)
Old 05-19-2021, 01:48 PM

I don't really understand what you're saying. You participate in society and are well aware of societies niceties and simple signs of respect. For example, saying bless you after someone sneezes. Saying excuse me if you bump into somebody. There is a general respect in life and in your interactions with people. I believe simply wearing a mask in public is something that falls under the same umbrella at this moment.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
And you should read fully. I'm guessing you didn't click on the link that provided a table.
I did read it. That is ONLY for persons at high risk of severe illness. Look at the top of the column. For persons not at high risk, the table says not recommended.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:50 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
As to the topic of whether masks in fact help, I do have some skepticism, but so far I've been persuaded I should err on the side of they might given what I've read.
In 2018, the CDC said this about wearing a mask during flu season: “very little information is available about the effectiveness of face masks and respirators in controlling the spread of pandemic influenza in community settings.”

The flu has been around forever and yet “very little information is available" about the effectiveness of masks?

What changed from 2018 to 2020 that the CDC could have “very little information" to "follow the science"?
Old 05-19-2021, 01:51 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Old 05-19-2021, 01:52 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I did read it. That is ONLY for persons at high risk. Look at the top of the column. For persons not at high risk, the table says not recommended.
Are you not a high risk person? Even if you aren't, shouldn't you consider some of that "respect" Pack's is referring to and wear one for the people who are high risk?
Old 05-19-2021, 01:55 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Old 05-19-2021, 01:56 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Old 05-19-2021, 01:57 PM

Perhaps there is room to consider that this may be a singular moment in time where for about a year and a half you're being asked to wear a mask in public.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:59 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Old 05-19-2021, 02:07 PM

I don't know what you mean when you say that. We're in the middle of something our generation hasn't experienced before. It seems like you're upset it wasn't solved immediately.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:13 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Old 05-19-2021, 02:14 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't know what you mean when you say that. We're in the middle of something our generation hasn't experienced before. It seems like you're upset it wasn't solved immediately.
For me, it's the liberal hypocrisy. When the mean orange man stated something about the virus that wasn't true, he was spreading misinformation. When the CDC or...(fill in the blank) states something about the virus that isn't true, it's given a free pass because we're in the middle of something we've never experienced before.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Talking

Quote:
When you must consistently resort to ad hominems and ageism because you keep contradicting yourself, it’s usually a clue of something. You keep choosing to defend why I must wear a mask around vaccinated people who have less of a risk from Covid than people did from from the flu in 2019 but you didn’t have to wear a mask in 2019 with an appeal to the authority of the state. You didn’t have to then with similar risks because the state did not tell you too. You chose that argument, multiple times.

I haven’t called you stupid, haven’t said you are going downhill because you disagree with me, I haven’t demanded you do what I want and ignore your own thoughts, I haven’t criticized you for whatever age you are. It really brings out how respectful and caring about others your side is. Fire away, it’s very mature and strengthens your argument.
My bad on the ad hominems. From what I've seen of your generation though including my own family, the ageism is somewhat justified.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:16 PM

What rules do you mean? I'm talking about wearing a mask in public still. I'm not talking about restricting you from doing anything while you're at it.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
No, he abandoned his argument that it’s about saving other people’s lives to argue it’s when the state tells him he should to save lives.
Again you are overlooking my basic point that I was not aware of any information in 2019 that would have led me to consider wearing a mask. It has nothing to do with the state other than that the state typically would be a major source of information.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Are you not a high risk person? Even if you aren't, shouldn't you consider some of that "respect" Pack's is referring to and wear one for the people who are high risk?
I do wear one. In 2009 I was completely unaware of this -- it certainly was not widely discussed -- and in any rate back then I would not have considered myself high risk so the CDC would not have advised me to wear a mask.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
For me, it's the liberal hypocrisy. When the mean orange man stated something about the virus that wasn't true, he was spreading misinformation. When the CDC or...(fill in the blank) states something about the virus that isn't true, it's given a free pass because we're in the middle of something we've never experienced before.
Except that President Trump eventually admitted he intentionally downplayed the risks.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:29 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Old 05-19-2021, 02:32 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Except that President Trump eventually admitted he intentionally downplayed the risks.
And no other politicians did the same?

Oh, please bite, Peter. Please!!!
Old 05-19-2021, 02:46 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Old 05-19-2021, 03:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
So your argument is that you only have to do it when the state or social pressure is there? I’m not sure what body you think would advise you in a way that widely disseminates the narrative so broadly except the state and its organs (CDC). I’m happy to stand corrected if such an organization exists. Clearly it cannot be about actual risk, if we are so worried about people with a 95% effective vaccine now, but didn’t give a hoot about disease in 2019.
No, my argument is that when one has good reason from whatever source to believe his conduct may be detrimental to others, and there is a way to mitigate that that isn't terribly restrictive, one should do that. You keep conflating this point with other issues and trying to twist my argument.

Whether in fact masks help is a separate point certainly worth discussing, but my argument assumes (as I have conceded) that they are helpful to others.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
So your argument is that you only have to do it when the state or social pressure is there? I’m not sure what body you think would advise you in a way that widely disseminates the narrative so broadly except the state and its organs (CDC). I’m happy to stand corrected if such an organization exists. Clearly it cannot be about actual risk, if we are so worried about people with a 95% effective vaccine now, but didn’t give a hoot about disease in 2019.
For example, I am pretty diligent about recycling what I can. Nobody knows if I do or don't, there is no state or social pressure, but I do it because I feel it's the right thing to do so in a miniscule way I do my part.

Old 05-19-2021, 04:18 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Last edited by G1911; 04-24-2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Specific criticisms please.

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

An evidence review of face masks against COVID-19

Abstract

The science around the use of masks by the public to impede COVID-19 transmission is advancing rapidly. In this narrative review, we develop an analytical framework to examine mask usage, synthesizing the relevant literature to inform multiple areas: population impact, transmission characteristics, source control, wearer protection, sociological considerations, and implementation considerations. A primary route of transmission of COVID-19 is via respiratory particles, and it is known to be transmissible from presymptomatic, paucisymptomatic, and asymptomatic individuals. Reducing disease spread requires two things: limiting contacts of infected individuals via physical distancing and other measures and reducing the transmission probability per contact. The preponderance of evidence indicates that mask wearing reduces transmissibility per contact by reducing transmission of infected respiratory particles in both laboratory and clinical contexts. Public mask wearing is most effective at reducing spread of the virus when compliance is high. Given the current shortages of medical masks, we recommend the adoption of public cloth mask wearing, as an effective form of source control, in conjunction with existing hygiene, distancing, and contact tracing strategies. Because many respiratory particles become smaller due to evaporation, we recommend increasing focus on a previously overlooked aspect of mask usage: mask wearing by infectious people (“source control”) with benefits at the population level, rather than only mask wearing by susceptible people, such as health care workers, with focus on individual outcomes. We recommend that public officials and governments strongly encourage the use of widespread face masks in public, including the use of appropriate regulation.

Also.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2776536

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:10 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

When the hysteria and anxiety around getting the disease is 99% WORSE than the disease itself, there is some sort of disconnect. I'm talking in the low risk category. People under 60 with no comorbidities.

Could have been Cuomo/deblasio, here in NY and their:

"It's like fighting air, we cant control it" comment

Call for 50,000 ventilators

Call for aircraft carrier and javits center to be used as hospitals.

People didnt use their common sense. They wore masks outside because they were told to. Many looked down on others as "doing the wrong thing for the country". Now CDC says it fine. Well actually there was never a risk of contracting it outside. There was 100 cases attributed to a Singaporean construction site that were miscatagorized.

Believe half of what you see and none of what you read or hear. Rely on what you know to be true. The same thing happened in 1918 and we didnt understand the science behind, but we've acted the same. Wait until these roaring 20s pass, to see how we really fared.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-19-2021, 05:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

How would I "know what is true" about a complex (and novel) infectious disease, when I am not a scientist by training?

It's sure easy to be smarter than other people with the benefit of hindsight.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:30 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
How would I "know what is true" about a complex (and novel) infectious disease, when I am not a scientist by training?
Conversely, we were told from the very beginning to listen to the experts. How can one be an expert in something for which very little is known? The "experts" (WHO) told us there was no evidence of human to human transmission of Covid. So how do you determine what you believe and what you don't?
Old 05-19-2021, 05:40 PM
Eric Perry

Question for the people who resist wearing masks around others:

When you sneeze or cough, do you cover your mouth? Why or why not?

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-19-2021, 05:51 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Question for the people who resist wearing masks around others:

When you sneeze or cough, do you cover your mouth? Why or why not?
I wear a mask most of the time, but I'll answer the question. When I sneeze? Yes, and I turn my head away from others as well. When I cough? No.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:59 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
I wear a mask most of the time, but I'll answer the question. When I sneeze? Yes, and I turn my head away from others as well. When I cough? No.
That's an interesting approach. Why one and not the other? I find my hand reflexively covers my mouth either way.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 05-19-2021, 06:03 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
That's an interesting approach. Why one and not the other? I find my hand reflexively covers my mouth either way.
If I sneeze, it's because something has triggered my sinuses. I don't want to spread my germs.

If I cough, it's because I'm choking. I wouldn't cover my mouth...the only way for the obstruction to exit.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:12 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Old 05-19-2021, 06:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

What ill motive do you ascribe to this group of scientists and statisticians around the world?

 View ORCID ProfileJeremy Howard, Austin Huang,  View ORCID ProfileZhiyuan Li,  View ORCID ProfileZeynep Tufekci, Vladimir Zdimal,  View ORCID ProfileHelene-Mari van der Westhuizen,  View ORCID ProfileArne von Delft,  View ORCID ProfileAmy Price, Lex Fridman,  View ORCID ProfileLei-Han Tang,  View ORCID ProfileViola Tang,  View ORCID ProfileGregory L. Watson,  View ORCID ProfileChristina E. Bax,  View ORCID ProfileReshama Shaikh,  View ORCID ProfileFrederik Questier, Danny Hernandez,  View ORCID ProfileLarry F. Chu,  View ORCID ProfileChristina M. Ramirez, and  View ORCID ProfileAnne W. Rimoin

afast.ai, San Francisco, CA 94105;

bData Institute, University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94105;

cWarren Alpert School of Medicine, Brown University, Providence, RI 02903;

dCenter for Quantitative Biology, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China;

eSchool of Information, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599;

fInstitute of Chemical Process Fundamentals, Czech Academy of Sciences, CZ-165 02 Praha 6, Czech Republic;

gDepartment of Primary Health Care Sciences, University of Oxford, Oxford OX2 6GG, United Kingdom;

hTB Proof, Cape Town 7130, South Africa;

iSchool of Public Health and Family Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town 7925, South Africa;

jAnesthesia Informatics and Media Lab, School of Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305;

kDepartment of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139;

lDepartment of Physics, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong SAR, China;

mComplex Systems Division, Beijing Computational Science Research Center, Beijing 100193, China;

nDepartment of Information Systems, Business Statistics and Operations Management, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong SAR, China;

oDepartment of Biostatistics, Jonathan and Karin Fielding School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095;

pPerelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104;

qData Umbrella, New York, NY 10031;

rTeacher Education Department, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 1050 Brussels, Belgium;

sOpenAI, San Francisco, CA 94110;

tDepartment of Epidemiology, Jonathan and Karin Fielding School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Your appeal to authority mantra is a straw man by the way. I am not suggesting anything is true simply because someone in authority said it is. By your logic nobody could ever cite to any study.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2021 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:21 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
If I sneeze, it's because something has triggered my sinuses. I don't want to spread my germs.

If I cough, it's because I'm choking. I wouldn't cover my mouth...the only way for the obstruction to exit.
That makes a certain amount of sense. In the unlikely event I was choking, covering my mouth would not be very high on my list of priorities. However, I have coughed far more often than I've nearly choked on food.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 05-19-2021, 06:27 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
That makes a certain amount of sense. In the unlikely event I was choking, covering my mouth would not be very high on my list of priorities. However, I have coughed far more often than I've nearly choked on food.
That makes sense. But I don't get sick, so I really don't cough. And I only sneeze if something aggravates my sinuses. Funny, but it just happened. I'm cooking some bacon and it's very heavily peppered.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
That makes sense. But I don't get sick, so I really don't cough. And I only sneeze if something aggravates my sinuses. Funny, but it just happened. I'm cooking some bacon and it's very heavily peppered.
Go vegan. LOL.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:31 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Old 05-19-2021, 06:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
No, an appeal to authority is a fallacy. Claiming it is not is a straw man.
It is a logical fallacy in the abstract I agree, but I am not appealing to authority. I am citing the CONTENT of the study and asking why you disagree with its apparent conclusions. Certainly one can consider the credentials of the authors as supporting the conclusions without being guilty of a naked appeal to authority argument.

If you say something and I point out it's inconsistent with Einstein's theory of relativity, have I only appealed to authority?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:34 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Last edited by G1911; 04-24-2022 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:36 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Old 05-19-2021, 06:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I do not claim the special ability to read minds and know a persons motive, but I do claim to be able to see science's take in through early March, 2020 and in late March 2020 and see the complete 180 without any new data, or use of control groups (kind of a key part of actual science). I also claim to be able to look at the state figures and see that mask-heavy states are not doing better. I'd love for you to be able to explain to me why science was incorrect until late March, 2020. Talk about straw mans....
Yes controls are always preferable but sometimes not practical.

Science changes constantly, and at least reading the article suggests they did a really deep dive and critical reexamination of the data. If there was bias, financial self-interest, etc. that would certainly be a factor to consider, but I don't see that.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2021 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:44 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Old 05-19-2021, 06:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The 2019 study I linked, from the CDC, used controls. 10 RCT's even. Why is it only now, after the narrative switch, that they cannot use controls?

With controls, they found that masks do no nothing to stop transmission (which was expected as this is not what these masks were made to do). After the narrative switch, they abandoned controls and now conclude the opposite. Why would I believe the unctrolled studies over the same groups controlled studies?
Well for one you're in the middle of an active pandemic, pretty hard to set up an RCT for masks on a global basis.

They certainly discussed the RCTs in this section.
Reviews and RCTs of Mask Use for Other Respiratory Illnesses.

Also, they noted this:
The standard RCT paradigm is well suited to medical interventions in which a treatment has a measurable effect at the individual level and, furthermore, interventions and their outcomes are independent across persons comprising a target population.

By contrast, the effect of masks on a pandemic is a population-level outcome where individual-level interventions have an aggregate effect on their community as a system.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:50 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Well for one you're in the middle of an active pandemic, pretty hard to set up an RCT for masks on a global basis.
I'll even assume that this is true and it is now impossible to use controls. Does it not still suggest that the earlier studies are better, because they use controls? Why should I ignore the science before March, 2020 and just accept whatever the CDC says after March 2020?
Old 05-19-2021, 06:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I'll even assume that this is true and it is now impossible to use controls. Does it not still suggest that the earlier studies are better, because they use controls? Why should I ignore the science before March, 2020 and just accept whatever the CDC says after March 2020?
See my addendum quoting what they said about RCTs. And I am relying at the moment on this article, not the CDC.

I'll repeat the quote so it's in one place with your question.

"The standard RCT paradigm is well suited to medical interventions in which a treatment has a measurable effect at the individual level and, furthermore, interventions and their outcomes are independent across persons comprising a target population.

By contrast, the effect of masks on a pandemic is a population-level outcome where individual-level interventions have an aggregate effect on their community as a system."

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2021 at 06:54 PM.