NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 05-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Dave Johnson

Default So...I am thinking about selling it all....but currently just "thinking"

So I posted this over in the "other" board.

http://forums.collectors.com/message...31&STARTPAGE=1

Once upon a time not so many years ago, I thought I was selling all the collection off....frankly, i am considering it again...feel free to chine in here or there...but for the time being...the 365 days of golf cards will continue throughout the end of the year...sale or no sale...but I am struggling with the decision and have been for some weeks. In the meantime, I have even continued to buy some more vintage "stuff"

Thanks for any input.

Dave
Old 05-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Steve Birmingham

I think when and what to sell is something most of us will wrestle with at some point.

From what you've written, I think it's a tough decision. The house and college fund are probably better investments, if only for the added enjoyment and the lifetime of better income.

But I also don't think it's an all or nothing sort of thing.

Sell the extras for sure, as well as some stuff that doesn't fit the collection. Like maybe the 1970 set. You don't really need the extras, and the set can be replaced pretty easily.

The easily replaced golf could be stage 2, the inexpensive and easy to get will be that way for a while.

Personally I'd keep the very rare ones or the ones you mentioned not finding again in that condition. Plus the ones that are more special to you in some way. That's the real core of the collection as I see it.

Your sons age might matter too. If he's older, maybe high school, perhaps let him be part of the decision. Does he golf or collect himself? Show any interest? If he does, then letting him help would probably be good for both of you. You might find he likes/knows the cards more than you thought. And going through them explaining what's special and what's just stuff would give him a bigger appreciation for the nice ones. (Plus the business style decision of going for a quick sale or waiting to get more and which venue would be best.)

A complicated thing, and one I'm starting to deal with. A second kid is on her way, and some of the hobby stuff will have to go. To make room, if nothing else.

Steve B
Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default we all go through this

Most of us contemplate selling. It's really just an individual choice that each of us has to make. I have toyed with selling my collection many times. Some years back I did sell part of it (my 19th century stuff) and it helped keep my resources in more of a balance. If you do sell stuff, and you think you might want to come back to your love later on, make sure you sell stuff that is replaceable first. Good luck!!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:30 PM

Dave -

Such a personal decision, and so tough to give advice.

You have a premier golf collection - so it would be one heck of a sale - for sure!

I would like to see you stay in it, because I would hate to see you exit golf collecting..... but thats just my own personal desire. Obviously your own desire and reasons are what matter / not mine.

You can never go wrong with cash (from a sale) -
and you could always start the collection again once you clear the deck.

So - if you feel that need or desire to sell - that might be the way to go.

Good luck with the decision.
It is a tough one.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:23 PM
John Wondowski

Dave,

We don't know each other, but I feel I "know" some of your vast collection. When it comes down to it, all the stuff is just stuff. Rare, unique, common, etc., - it should only be judged by the amount of enjoyment it gives to you. I have sold out a few times (some driven by necessity, some boredom), but there was always some later regret. I wished I had just stuck some stuff away and resurrected it at a future date when the fun returned. Just my two cents.

John