NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-23-2005, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Default Switching BVG graded cards to SGC or PSA

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

Does anyone have any experience switching a pre-war card in a BVG holder to to PSA or SGC holder? Does it normally get the same grade or go up/down a grade or more? Last but not least what is BVG reputation with grading pre-war cards?

Old 08-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Shhhhhh.........

and yes, they don't have a very high reputation with Prewar stuff

Old 08-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Charlie:

BVG doesn't have much of a reputation for pre-war cards. Take a look on Ebay, you won't see many. However, just because they aren't well known for grading prewar and they are less represented in pre-war doesn't mean their reputation is negative.

Important points: Top three are SGC, GAI and PSA. BVG is fourth and does sell for less than the other three. You will get better deals buying cards in BVG holders than the other three.

My personal preference would for buying vintage is SGC, GAI and then either or PSA/BVG. I haven't personally seen any BVG pre-war SNAFUs like I have with PSA (trimming).

Brian

Old 08-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

All the BVG's I have bought have been graded fairly. Only buy if they are cheap enough though.

Lee

Old 08-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

I appreciate all of the input. Since there reputation has been built on cards they grade after the 80's I was just wondering how they stood up to everyone else that have already establised a foothold on pre-war cards.

Old 08-24-2005, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I think BVG may very well have the most accurate pre war grading of all the grading companies, but maybe a half grade conservative at times. I dont recall ever seeing a BVG graded card that made me wonder what they were thinking. With all that being said, I've never submitted a card to them, but I might give em a try someday.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Until they will stand behind what they do I won't be sending them anything AND I will be careful what I buy in their holders. I am not saying they are bad I am just saying they wouldn't stand behind an obvious high profile error they made in the past. And I think I am having lunch with the price guide editor today.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

what was the high profile error?

Old 08-24-2005, 07:40 AM
Administrator

On ebay being sold buy Hagar or one of his ilk.....skinned and rebacked. I spoke to the Beckett President. Told him I would buy it (around $2500) and if I got it and it wasn't good they could reimburse me. He said that until proven it was bad then their stance was it was good and NO they would not let me buy it and then have a guarantee it was good...and it was in a BVG holder. I posted the whole scenario and it was a few years ago. To me that was a vote of no confidence. regards

Old 08-24-2005, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Griggs

I did not know that. Thanks.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I respectfully and completely disagree that BVG/BGS has the most accurate grading of pre-war cards. The manner in which they assign final grades virtually guarantees inaccuracy in my opinion. Specifically: As everyone probably knows, BVG assigns 4 subgrades, one each for centering, edges, surface and corners. They then use the four subgrades to "calculate" a final grade. However, that final grade is not an average of the four grades. In fact, the final grade cannot normally be more than a full grade higher than the lowest subgrade (and that is only if 3 of 4 subgrades are significantly higher than the lowest - otherwise, the final grade cant be more than a half point higher than the lowest subgrade). So, by way of extreme example, suppose you have a beautiful looking T206 that gets subgrades of 8 on corners, edges, and centering - but has typical vintage wear on the surface and gets a 2 - then the highest grade that card can receive would be a 3. I have had several BVG cards grade up when crossed over due to their over-reliance on the lowest subgrade.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Griggs

Great points. I wasn't trying to say they were the most accurate, but just that I haven't seen any BVG graded cards that made me wonder what the heck they were thinking. I can't say that about the other 3. However, by comparison I see alot less BVG graded cards. I do agree that they rely too much on the lowest subgrade. When I submit cards for grading, below is my order of preference for now. I do think eventually I'll stop submitting cards. I'm getting tired of having that slab between me & my cards. Also, I'm no english major or even close, so sometimes I'm the only one who knows what point I'm trying to make:)

1-SGC
2-GAI
3-PSA
4-BVG

Old 08-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

If I want an undergraded card to cross, BVG is your best bet. They are often a half-grade/full-grade too strict.

James

Old 08-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Well, I just got back from a very pleasant lunch where I was informed that the President of Beckett, that decided not to stand behind a BVG graded card, is no longer with the company. I guess there is hope after all.....I still have my preference on 3rd party graders but that's for another thread....