NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2022, 07:26 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Default T205 Harmon Left Ear Auction on eBay

Anyone else think this was a very strong price for a T205 Harmon Left Ear that is raw or is this what they sell for? It was a great example for sure. Those bidders sure went strong at the end with massive jumps. Some of them had massive bid percentages and retractions.

Is this the new norm for buyers on ebay? I remember when this would cause everyone to shy away because of concern over shilling. Can't you still block bidders like this on eBay from your auctions or is this not a smart move to do because it cuts out potential bidders that approach online bidding like a dutch auction, lol?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18536770889...p2047675.l2557

I don't know the seller or buyer and am only starting a conversation for better understanding of the market and sellers/buyers perspectives.

Member since 2009

Last edited by Leon; 04-09-2022 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-09-2022, 05:05 AM
Scott Russell

there aren't any bid retractions. just one bidder trying to find the top and then placing three bids at the end to increase his max. You know as well as anyone how tough these are. A PSA 2.5 went for $250ish a year ago, so it's a big jump for a raw card, but not out of line for the market, I think.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-09-2022, 11:59 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Sorry, I don’t mean to insinuate there were bid retractions for this auction. I was just pointing out that some of the bidders in the auctions have high retractions and am curious if this is the new norm? I remember being able to set my eBay setting to not allow anyone with X amount of bid retractions or fewer than X feedback and so on. I do not sell a lot on eBay, but if I was, is it foolish of me to have settings like this because it could potentially block out bigger bidders who bid like this in todays market. I just know it used to be frowned upon to be a buyer with retractions in the double if not triple digits.

I do know how tough those SP’s are in the T205 set. Those are all great looking cards and present very well. Imo, that Harmon is a 3, so it’s great to see something to use as a new comparable considering how scarce they are.

Member since 2009

Last edited by T205 GB; 04-09-2022 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-09-2022, 02:44 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
Anyone else think this was a very strong price for a T205 Harmon Left Ear that is raw or is this what they sell for? It was a great example for sure. Those bidders sure went strong at the end with massive jumps. Some of them had massive bid percentages and retractions.

Is this the new norm for buyers on ebay? I remember when this would cause everyone to shy away because of concern over shilling. Can't you still block bidders like this on eBay from your auctions or is this not a smart move to do because it cuts out potential bidders that approach online bidding like a dutch auction, lol?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18536770889...p2047675.l2557

I don't know the seller or buyer and am only starting a conversation for better understanding of the market and sellers/buyers perspectives.
Look at the underbidder with 1,318 feedback. He's had 136 bid retractions in the past twelve months. Does that seem a bit unusual/questionable to anyone? And the bidder with 80 feedback that won the auction, he has made 87% of his bids this past month all with this same seller. Something just doesn't seem right. That is a decent T205 card though.
Old 04-09-2022, 05:04 PM
John Hanssen

A few other SPs have sold strong for the same seller. Other hand some HOFs, minor league, and tuffer commons sold easy at or a little low within range.

Overall I'm glad I finished my T205 set to the point that I'm happy before prices got to were they are. Still enjoy following anything to do with the set.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:39 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Look at the underbidder with 1,318 feedback. He's had 136 bid retractions in the past twelve months. Does that seem a bit unusual/questionable to anyone? And the bidder with 80 feedback that won the auction, he has made 87% of his bids this past month all with this same seller. Something just doesn't seem right. That is a decent T205 card though.
I'm not sure about why there would be so many retractions, but this seller has listed a large number of T205s from a set break that are ending Thursday through Sunday so if the bidder is working on the set (like I am), it wouldn't be surprising that he has placed so many bids with this seller recently.

I have been bidding on some of the SPs and unfortunately, they got too high for my liking. I'm down to just needing a few to complete my set so looks like I may need to up my budget if I ever do want to finish the set.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I'm not sure about why there would be so many retractions, but this seller has listed a large number of T205s from a set break that are ending Thursday through Sunday so if the bidder is working on the set (like I am), it wouldn't be surprising that he has placed so many bids with this seller recently.

I have been bidding on some of the SPs and unfortunately, they got too high for my liking. I'm down to just needing a few to complete my set so looks like I may need to up my budget if I ever do want to finish the set.
I think ebay is fraught with friends protecting friends...but the T205s are rising with the tide.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:45 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think ebay is fraught with friends protecting friends...but the T205s are rising with the tide.
Good point. Been seeing a lot of strong bids lately for some of the variations and tougher cards in the set. Wonder why now and not earlier when everything started taking off over the past couple of years.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:51 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Good point. Been seeing a lot of strong bids lately for some of the variations and tougher cards in the set. Wonder why now and not earlier when everything started taking off over the past couple of years.
Because T205's are the whipping post of tobacco cards. No love or respect from the majority. T205's should be highly sought after since the hobby has oppressed them for so long. lol

Member since 2009
Old 04-12-2022, 01:46 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Because T205's are the whipping post of tobacco cards. No love or respect from the majority. T205's should be highly sought after since the hobby has oppressed them for so long. lol
LOL

Andrew,

Couldn't agree with you more. And if you think they get treated badly in the hobby, just look at the T205s annoying little kid brother, the S74 silks. PSA won't even grade them. Ha! Some day.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:02 PM
Dave

Quote:
Sorry, I don’t mean to insinuate there were bid retractions for this auction. I was just pointing out that some of the bidders in the auctions have high retractions and am curious if this is the new norm? I remember being able to set my eBay setting to not allow anyone with X amount of bid retractions or fewer than X feedback and so on. I do not sell a lot on eBay, but if I was, is it foolish of me to have settings like this because it could potentially block out bigger bidders who bid like this in todays market. I just know it used to be frowned upon to be a buyer with retractions in the double if not triple digits.

I do know how tough those SP’s are in the T205 set. Those are all great looking cards and present very well. Imo, that Harmon is a 3, so it’s great to see something to use as a new comparable considering how scarce they are.

There's never been any way to filter serial retracting bidders out of your auctions. Only bidders who have been hit with a certain number of non-paying bidder notices.

All you can really do is manually block them, after they F with your auctions.

The reason why a lot of them were still active, is because the larger Ebay auction houses refused to block them from their auctions after getting hit with retractions by them.

You can see the 2nd high bidder with all the 132 retractions, hasn't had any since Ebay outlawed retractions in the Trading Card category.

They can still screw with an auction, and request a cancellation after the win, however.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 04-13-2022 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:35 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post

They can still screw with an auction, and request a cancellation after the win, however.

One can only hope. I got shut down on the Grant. It had great eye appeal. There were quite a few I watched go off just to see where they would fall. Now I just need to focus on an AB Matty, AB Cobb, and high grade Grants. Of course anything else shinny like gold is a need too.

Member since 2009