NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Default OT: What is the best baseball game you ever attended?

Posted By: Rob Ray

...Such a simple question,but the possibilities for those who have attended many games (I'm 50 and have been attending all manner of games for 45 years)...are endless!

Most memorable game that meant nothing in the standings:

Yankee Stadium sometime in mid-80s:
Twins were beating the tar out of the Yankees,8-0. Slowly,the Yanks came back and eventually beat the Twins on a walkoff Mattingly HR in the bottom of the 9th,9-8! A bunch of us were sitting in the RF blue seats and the ball flew about 5 feet over my head! Amazing comeback.

Wonderful,but somewhat fuzzy memories:

Went with my 4-year old brother (I was 6) and my dad by car to my first MJL game:
1964 Yankees at the Stadium against,I think,the KC A's.
I remember my dad repeatedly extolling the virtues of "the Mick." I had no idea who Mickey Mantle was (his name sounded like a cartoon character's to me),but I remember distinctly Mantle slamming a homerun, and my dad then throwing his own hat in the air. Even though I eventually became a Mets fan, you can bet I followed Mick's exploits after that game.
I really don't remember anything else about the game other than the fact that it must have been right around July 4th because we went on a trip down south that year,as we did most years when I was very young.
Anyway, I do remember the game went past 9 innings and the Yankees may have even lost. My dad was pretty quiet on the ride home,and my brother got sick from 2 hot dogs. Geez,what memories.

Important and memorable games:

Todd Pratt hitting a game-winning homer for the Mets at Shea in '99 (?). Think it was a divisional series game.
Seaver's 300th win (for the Chisox) at the Stadium,on Phil Rizzuto day, and seeing Rizzuto being felled by a cow on the field!
Doc Gooden,rookie year,at Shea vs Cubs: I was sitting right behind homeplate. He blanked the Cubs 10-0 and set a rookie strikeout record.

Too many others to mention,and now my lunch break is over!
Rob

Old 12-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I was at the Bobby Murcer game against Baltimore, right after Thurman died. I was just a kid, but that was probably my most memorable.

A better GAME, but not for me as a Yankee fan, was more recently, when Pedro Martinez threw a gem against the Yankees where Chili Davis got the only hit. Great game.

But my kids' games are better than all of 'em.

-Al

Old 12-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: sagard

Game Six or Game Seven. 1991 World Series. I was a hot dog vendor and got done walking the aisles and checked out by the 8th inning both nights. Watched Puckett tee off from behind home plate.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: S Gross

I really don't remember Baseball games as great monments, or plays; I like the sport as the sport, and they're all great.

I do have a few great Baseball images that stick out in my mind:

1) 1967 or 68, Shibe Park, Phillies vs. LA. Fist major league game. Jim Bunning was going for 200th win for LA (didn't get it, Phil. won). The image I remember most were the left field stands, hugh, black (and empty), that seemed to go on for ever and ever.

2) Wells pitching for NY on a beautiful day, striking out, what?, 14-15 opponents. Some guy in the stands, instead of posting K's, was posting mugs of beer for every K.

3) Late seventies, Memorial Stadium, Baltimore vs. A's. Billy Martin must have been pissed at his coach, so he coached 3rd base. I could (and still can) steal signals pretty well. Billy's signals were so basic, I had them by the second inning (belt indicator, bare skin touches, universal count, 1 bunt, 2 steal, 3 hit and run). It was back in Billy-ball time, so nearly every pitch had a play on. So, sitting right behind the 3rd base dugout, with a few beers in me, I stared to call out his plays. After a few correct calls on my part, I get the classic Martin, craggy, over the stupted shoulder, rat eye stare ......... that's something that sticks with you !!!

oh, and late May 1982, Memorial Stadum, Len Sakata starts at SS for Baltimore. The next day, he didn't start.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

I have been to a lot of great games. Some that come to mind.

1983 All Star Game at Comiskey. If I remember correctly Fred Lynn hit the 1st Grand Slam HR in all star game history.

1985 All Star Game at the Metrodome in Minneapolis. The game wasn't real exciting but it was the first HR derby and Eddie Murray hit one of the furthest HR's I had ever seen hit the day before the game during the derby.

1989 All Star Game in Anaheim. Bo Jackson leads the game off with a bomb off of Rick Rueschal and steals a base to walk away with the MVP.

All of the 1987 and 1991 World Series games played at the Metrodome. The crowd noise and atmosphere was incredible.

Great topic!

Dan

Old 12-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Todd

Does a doubleheader count?

Friday night, October 1, 1982, Brewers and Orioles. Last weekend of the season, Brewers came to town for a four-games series, up by three. 48,000 people in the stadium, half of whom brought brooms. Hardly any voice left after the first game; by the end of the second all we could do was squeak a little bit.

Yes, we did win both, and Saturday, too, to create a tie going into the last game, but Sutton beat Palmer on Sunday and that was it.

Bill

Old 12-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

It was the summer of 1962 (I think it was July)and I was 13 years old and our Pony league coach took our whole Pony team to Chavez Ravine to watch the Angels and Yankees play. We were sitting in the right field bleachers and there was Maris in center and Mantle in right. What a thrill!!

I'm not a Dodger fan so I had not been back to Chavez Ravine in 47 years. This last April I took my Wife to Chavez Ravine to watch the Giants & Dodgers and had a great time.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Dixon

I saw Craig Biggio get his 3,000th hit. As he would, he tried to stretch it into a double. He wasn't even close, but if he would have gotten it, he would have tried to stretch it into a triple.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: whitehse

Being a former front office employee for a major league team I have seen well over a thousand major league games and have attended many all star and playoff games and have memories that have stuck in my mind. Most of my memories were with my dad and the opportunities I had to pay him back for taking me to all those games as a kid. I was able to get him great seats, access to players and the playing field and the opportunity to brag that I worked for the team. Knowing that my job brought my dad and my family pleasure and access to the games is the greatest memory I can have of him. I can still see him in the grandstands with his scorecard, sandwiches he made from home and a cold Pepsi as he watched batting practice and eventually the game.

The one game that sticks out for me is the weekend Pete Rose was due to tie and or break Ty Cobb's hit record at Wrigley Field. Pete had received death threats and was hounded by the media and the Reds asked for security to be around him at all times while he was at the park. Myself and one other person were assigned to be Pete's shadow and no matter where he went we were with him. We met him in the clubhouse and followed him to the field and eventually to the press conference held under the stands in the right field corner. Walking back fom the press conference via the field the Reds were taking batting practice. As we were walking, a line drive one hopper was hut right at me and I was able to catch it on one hop with my bare hand. It hurt like hell but it seems the pain went away when Pete slapped me on the back and mentioned that it was a good catch.

Long story short, the day Pete Rose tied Ty Cobb's hit record I was in the dugout celebrating with the rest of the team. It was such a surreal scene for me because 10 years earlier as a 12 year old I was yelling from the stands and begging for Pete's autograph and here I was getting slapped on the back by him and had a front row seat to baseball history, celebrating with his team.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sal

In Arlington, Texas, at Arlington Stadium, when the Rangers played the White Sox, and Nolan Ryan pretty much bent Robin Ventura over his lap and whipped him a few times. Classic game.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jamie

Saw Phil Niekro flip a nail file out of his back pocket while pitching for the Yankees back in the eighties. That has to be the most memorable moment for me:)

Old 12-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Wasn't that Joe?

Old 12-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lou

i went to see the Pirates play in the summer of 1971 with my Dad & brother ,the only one we saw in person together and we sat in right field to watch Roberto Clemente,but he didn't play that night.Late in the game he came out to the bullpen and was throwing pitch's underhand,and the pop of the catchers mitt when the ball hit it sounded like a rifle being shot.It was amazing! Been to over a 100 games since,saw some great moments,but that one is always foremost in my memory.

Lou

Old 12-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

I was at a few games that stand out.

1986 Game 6 of the playoffs vs the Astros, Mets won in 11th inning I believe.

1991 or 92 Jim Abbott No hitter vs Cleveland.

1998 David Wells tosses a perfect game vs Twins

1999 Pedro Strikes out 17 Yankees retiring the last 26 in a row (or something like that)

2001 David Cone throws Perfect game vs Expos on Yogi Berra day.

The 86 game and 91 game were tix given to me by friends, for the Abbott game we sat in Billy Joels box, so we were feet from the field. Or at least I was told they were his.

From 1996 thru 2002 I had what the Yanks sold as a Sunday plan, and luckilly both Perfect games were thrown on a Sunday.

In 1999 we decided on a whim to go to the game, sat in right field at the wall and saw Pedro
mow down the Yankees.

If I had to pick one from the above I think it would be the Abbott No Hitter. Whenever it plays on Yankees classics when they go to commercial we can see ourselves.

Steve

Old 12-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

It is a toss up for me they are both equally great.

Reggie Jackson 3 home run World Series game.

Or

Gibson's dramatic World Series homer.

On T.V. the greatest game I ever saw was 1975 W.S. game six with Fisk hitting his homer... I am a Reds fan and it hurt like heck but we ended up winning the series anyways.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Sutton beat Palmer on Sunday and that was it.

That was a classic game!

Steve

Old 12-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

#1 - 1986 ALCS: on the fence ready to storm the field, then Dave Henderson hit his dramatic shot

#2 - 1983: watched Yaz - my favorite player - hit a HR against the A's in my only attended Fenway Park game.

Others

1985 NLCS: Jack Clark hits HR to send Cards to the WS

1989 ALCS: snuck into A's locker room afterwards and chatted with Dave Stewart

? - some other Playoff game where Ozzie Smith hit a HR to win the game, then did a back flip as he crossed home plate

Carew 3000 hit game
Sutton 300 Win
1989 AS Game - Bo Jackson
1989 World Series - every game except the Earthquake one

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Old 12-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Carota

Tough call to choose only one. Definitely a two-way tie:

1. First Red Sox game my Dad brought me to (1988-1990, give or take.) I don't recall many details of the game (or who the Sox played,) but I remember having a great time. I'm sure there is a ticket stub somewhere.

1a. June 21, 2008 against the Cardinals at Fenway. My wife and I took our 3 month old daughter to her first Sox game. The little trooper made it to the 7th, but crashed after too many Fenway Franks happy.gif :

[linked image]

Honorable mention goes to Ripken's final game at Fenway.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Dango

if anyone was at game 2, 1995 division series, yankee stadium, you remember this......it was the 15th inning and the rain started to come down...mattingly had earlier hit a HR and the crowd went nuts for a curtain call, but now it was the 15th, and it wasnt Mattinglys turn, his teammates helped win that game and the yanks went to seattle up 2-0.....

...but it was upon leaving the game that night is when i fully understood the importance of Donnie Baseball....The chant of DOnnie Baseball DEM DEM, DEM DEM DEM.....DONNIE BASEBALL DEM DEM, DEM DEM DEM...over and over, the rafters were shaking and people were pounding on the steel gurders..DONNIE BASEBALL DEM DEM , DEM DEM DEM...no matter which direction you choose to exit the stadium that night, thats all you heard...Everyone was on the same wavelength...DONNIE BASEBALL ....that was Mattingly's last HR , and his last curtain call......but what a sendoff it was, because undoubtably he heard the rafters talking......

the new Yankee Stadium that has begun will not be built by Ruth, it was built by Mattingly and the presence he brought to the Bronx that night in 1995, because the yankees went on to lose 3 in seattle....That Yankee Stadium Magic was still alive, and what proceded was perhaps the last great dynasty run we will ever see in sports.....1996-2001......(some look at 2001 as a victory for the yankees)....THE YANKEES HAVE MATTINGLY TO THANK AND STEINBRENNER KNOWS IT..

Old 12-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Steele

Fenway Park, 1968, Red Sox versus Twins. I think the Sox won 10-4 but the score was secondary.

I was a wide eyed 7 year old sitting in the bleachers about 7 rows up from the bullpen taking it all in. My hero was Yaz and he was just coming off the triple crown year of 67 so he was king of the city.

Yaz comes up and hits one on a high arch right for me. It was ticketed for my row and wound up 2 rows right behind me. If I had been a little taller then 4 foot it could have been a souvenir but I still remember that high arching homer that was just majestic. I love that memory.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred Y

--similar my experiences are to Ted Z's! I guess that's because of our ancient ages being almost the same! LOL!

My BEST baseball game had to be my 1st---traveling by train w/ a friend and his older brother from Western NY State to NYC to see a ML game!

Saturday May 9, 1953 at the age of 12! Ebbets Field--Dodgers vs Phillies w/ Robin Roberts matched up w/ Preacher Roe.

A see-saw game going back & forth until the last of the 7th when a home run by Jackie Robinson gave the Dodgers a 5-4 lead. The Phillies moved ahead 6-5 in the top of the 8th w/ 2 runs.

Last of the 9th, w/ Reese on, the Duke hits into a DP, but Jackie draws a walk off Roberts and Campy homers to pull it out, 7-6!

A thrilling end to my 1st ever game, and altho I have seen many since, it's the TOP of my list!

Being the packrat I turned out to be, I still have my ticket stub as a constant reminder of the simpler days of the '50's!

[linked image]

[linked image]