NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-01-2021, 02:48 PM
James M.

Default It's starting again with the USPS...

Full disclosure, I have a lot of respect for our Postmen, it's a difficult job, one I would not want to do. The Shipping delays, that came with last holiday season though, seem to be starting again.

Case and point, I agreed to purchase a card from a member here on Net54. Card was shipped, tracking received, original, expected delivery date, was November 30th. Yesterday comes and goes, tracking gets updated to December 1st; no problem it happens. Today rolls around, tracking updates yet again, December 2nd.

Be advised, if you're waiting on something, you might have to keep waiting. Comes with the territory of ordering and shipping during the season. I might have to wait until after holidays to order myself a late Christmas gift!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:52 PM
Scott S

Same exact dates for me, on something I shipped from MA just going to NY, via Priority. Hopefully it'll show up tomorrow as it now says, but I know this time of year can be challenging for sure!
Old 12-01-2021, 03:07 PM

Prepare yourselves. We are severely understaffed and PMG DeJoy has slowed down service standard times. Combine that with the season we are entering and, well, there you go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2021, 03:11 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by realbigfatdog View Post
Prepare yourselves. We are severely understaffed and PMG DeJoy has slowed down service standard times. Combine that with the season we are entering and, well, there you go.

That's because PMG DeJoy was appointed into a position he is totally incompetent for, period, end of discussion.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 12-01-2021, 03:27 PM
Bill Cauley

I've got a bunch of cards I want to sell but am contemplating waiting until after the holidays to do so for this very reason. With that said, I have been meaning to list/sell the same cards mentioned in the first sentence for about 8 months now so my contemplation probably won't take long.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
That's because PMG DeJoy was appointed into a position he is totally incompetent for, period, end of discussion.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:29 PM
Scott Russell

Let's hold off a little. There is ALWAYS some seasonal slow-down. A couple days is standard this time of year.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-01-2021, 05:31 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Yeah, almost seems just avoiding selling this month if you can. Another shitshow.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:39 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Herritage claims to have sent my check last Monday first class. Still waiting...
Old 12-01-2021, 05:55 PM
Andrew

At least in my neighborhood it seems like the “your mail carrier may or may not show up on any given day(s)” time of year has started again. Yay.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:04 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default More than a *hitshow with USPS

From my end receiving cards via USPS from eBay has been a challenge in particular for three months. During this time frame I have received promptly and accurately approx. 30 parcels. I have not rec'd 7 USPS parcels promptly and accurately. 6 of the 7 have not EVER been recd. The other one was recd but was short packed OR was opened and part of the contents (multiple PSA slabs) were removed. That parcel, a SMALL USPS FLAT RATE PRIORITY BOX, appeared to maybe have been opened and carefully resealed. It was delivered and did not appear to be tampered with upon a glance and when opening.

Long story short, I have been contacted by the US Inspector General's office by a Special Agent who investigates postal fraud/theft.

Hmmm.

It seems the Special Agent is suspicious of internal fraud/theft at my local USPS branch. He let me know I am not the only "Card Geek" that has been targeted in my area. I know of at least TWO other high end collectors in my area that have this same issue. It is still ongoing as I now have yet another missing pkg. from eBay that when tracked, stated OUT FOR DELIVERY on one day, but the next day stated "AWAITING DELIVERY SCAN". This incomprehensible tracking info has appeared in this fashion multiple times now.

The IG Special Agent is attempting thru a "STING OPERATION" to catch this/these perpetrator's. I cannot talk about the details, but you can only imagine. It is bad. Very bad.

What we collector's endure just to get our cards........

And don't get me started re what one must endure now to get cards from PWCC's monthly NOT eBAY auction now.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:03 PM
Eric Perry

I'm lucky. The people at my local Post Office know me by name. I have the same delivery person nearly every day. Sending and receiving have been smooth as silk. Zero problems with the USPS.

On the other hand...

FedEx has been awful, in my experience. I've dealt with too many incoming package nightmares. They've lost packages entirely, delivered them to my neighbors, returned them to sender because they claimed my house was a vacant lot, etc., etc., etc. I've spent countless hours over the years with their (ahem) "customer service" representatives. That's on the receiving end. I simply won't use them to send anything; they've obliterated my trust.

So, two extremes. Guess I'll take that and be happy with USPS.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-01-2021, 07:17 PM

The Post Office has underperformed for years. The idea that the current postmaster general is somehow responsible for a relatively minor delay in delivery or even loss of a package is laughable. The Post Office lost many of my packages under the tenure of Obama PMGs but I do not hold those PMGs responsible because they aren’t. Please spare us your overzealous partisan boosterism.

Last edited by sreader3; 12-01-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:19 PM
Al Wright

Had a situation last week where I send a small package (4 oz.) First Class Mail from central NJ to eastern PA. Shipped it on Monday, 11/22. Checked the USPS tracking site on 11/23 and it showed delivered. Then got a PM from the customer "Got it, thanks!". The next day Paypal hadn't released the money yet so I went back to USPS and it now showed scheduled delivery for Friday, 11/26! Crazy.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:40 PM
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Let's hold off a little. There is ALWAYS some seasonal slow-down. A couple days is standard this time of year.
You already beat me too it. It's December and the usps busiest time of the year. Even before the pandemic they always sent out reminders in December to do you shipping early because it takes longer this time of year.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

I have noticed my outgoing packages are taking unusual routes in some instances, and when that happens it takes 1-3 days longer to get delivered, but nothing drastic yet. Incoming feels like about half are as usual and half are 1-2 days late.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:13 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
On the other hand...

FedEx has been awful, in my experience. I've dealt with too many incoming package nightmares. They've lost packages entirely, delivered them to my neighbors, returned them to sender because they claimed my house was a vacant lot, etc., etc., etc. I've spent countless hours over the years with their (ahem) "customer service" representatives. That's on the receiving end. I simply won't use them to send anything; they've obliterated my trust.

Maybe this is where they are.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 12-01-2021, 11:14 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I am very fortunate to have a super reliable and great mailman, and have had no issues whatsoever with the PO (other than a few dented packages). But nothing late or missing in transit, knock on wood.

UPS is the carrier that continually drives me nuts. Every time I receive a parcel from them, I'm reminded of this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b1aRop-UbU
Old 12-02-2021, 03:49 AM
GaryPassamonte

I just had a great result from USPS. A large Priority package was mailed to me from San Francisco on Saturday, 11/27. I received it Monday, 11/29 in western NY. That's as good as it gets.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:38 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
The Post Office has underperformed for years. The idea that the current postmaster general is somehow responsible for a relatively minor delay in delivery or even loss of a package is laughable. The Post Office lost many of my packages under the tenure of Obama PMGs but I do not hold those PMGs responsible because they aren’t. Please spare us your overzealous partisan boosterism.
Agree they have always been lousy regardless of who is in charge. Nothing has changed it's to be expected. They do they best they can, so what if you have to wait a few more days or weeks for your cards...I'm good with it.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:32 AM
Ben North

USPS has been great for me recently.

I do have 2 pieces of artwork with funny shipping. Artist emailed me Monday with pic of my artwork packaged ready to ship. Said he would ship Tuesday morning. USPS tracking until this morning said Label created waiting for package. Then a few minutes ago it updated to being one stop from my house with zero updates in between.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:39 AM
J0hn Collin$

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when my '56 Yogi Berra from eBay showed up at 10 am. Tracking had him not due until Saturday, and it was just a First Class package. Thankful for that, as I know further into December this is not going to be the case with a lot of other stuff...
Old 12-02-2021, 10:06 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Agree they have always been lousy regardless of who is in charge. Nothing has changed it's to be expected. They do they best they can, so what if you have to wait a few more days or weeks for your cards...I'm good with it.
The current guy saw fit to "save money" by removing a lot of the automatic sorting machines, because the new ones supposedly have enough capacity.
Except they don't. And they're more than a but unreliable and now many places don't have the old machines for backup when the new ones are down.

That and the idea he can fix the business by charging more and reducing the quality of the service.... Which rarely works for any business.

It's a difficult job, and I'm not sure anyone would have the right answers or if there even is a right answer. But those two "solutions" are certainly not it.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:34 AM
Joe Jones

The business I own and operate ships 15,000 plus parcels through the mail per year. The last two years have been the worst I have seen by far. I am really bummed out by this change because my past success rate with the post office was always great.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:34 AM
J0hn Collin$

Scary to me that privatized delivery services at least thus far in our history (UPS, FedEx, DHL...) are hated nearly as much as the USPS for their propensity to make delivery mishaps. Makes me wonder how high the Post Office's ceiling to actually improve really is, no matter how much money is poured into it. I'm picturing the jackleg contractor who recently worked on our kitchen looking at me and deadpanning - "This is as good as it gets." No, really?
Old 12-02-2021, 01:01 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Total baloney (not the lost packages, the laughable support of a total maroon). This man is a freaking idiot. TOTAL incompetence. And not a very nice fellow, on top of that.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 12-02-2021, 03:34 PM
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Total baloney (not the lost packages, the laughable support of a total maroon). This man is a freaking idiot. TOTAL incompetence. And not a very nice fellow, on top of that.
agree
Old 12-02-2021, 06:38 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
One need not be partisan to acknowledge that Delackofjoy is less than competent.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
One need not be partisan to acknowledge that Delackofjoy is less than competent.
I prefer "DeVoidofjoy"

Old 12-02-2021, 07:19 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
The man ordered that mail sorting machines be destroyed just as the entire nation anticipated the highest number of mail-in election ballots in US history. Now he is intentionally slowing down services and charging more for it. Incompetence is the most generous (and least partisan) way to read his job performance.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry

Last edited by BobbyStrawberry; 12-02-2021 at 07:20 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 12-03-2021, 06:46 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Agreed. Regardless of the situation he inherited, the man was a political appointee with zero prior experience in anything related to the job he was given.

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-03-2021 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:36 AM
Bill Cauley

I've been pretty lucky thus far. Worst was last December when my parents sent down a couple of boxes of Christmas presents. They sent them out the first week of December and they arrived near the end of January.

Only card I've had an issue with was earlier this year when I sent a card to someone who lives no more than an hour away from me in Maryland. The card went from Virginia to Maryland, then Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio again, and finally at the destination in Maryland. Took about 11 days to get there.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:46 PM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Stop it was never close to as bad as it has been unde this fraud some of you will excuse anything as long as it was done by someone you align with politically Come on
Old 12-03-2021, 05:08 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCauley View Post
I've been pretty lucky thus far. Worst was last December when my parents sent down a couple of boxes of Christmas presents. They sent them out the first week of December and they arrived near the end of January.

Only card I've had an issue with was earlier this year when I sent a card to someone who lives no more than an hour away from me in Maryland. The card went from Virginia to Maryland, then Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio again, and finally at the destination in Maryland. Took about 11 days to get there.
Ouch. That's insane. I've seen similar however. Here in Winston-Salem, NC - everything has to go to the hub in Greensboro, which is 25 mins away to the east. Even if you are mailing an in-city letter - yep. It goes to Greensboro first. I mean I get it (kinda...) but come on.

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-03-2021 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:06 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Agreed. Regardless of the situation he inherited, the man was a political appointee with zero prior experience in anything related to the job he was given.
To be a bit contrary here, DeJoy spent decades in the logistics industry, which does give him significant experience applicable to the Post Office. I would also challenge the notion that he was incompetent for the job. He was perfectly competent for the job. But, that job wasn't to lead the Post Office; it was to destroy it. There has always been a faction of American politics that wants to privatize the Post Office and DeJoy can be viewed as their stalking horse.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:13 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
To be a bit contrary here, DeJoy spent decades in the logistics industry, which does give him significant experience applicable to the Post Office. I would also challenge the notion that he was incompetent for the job. He was perfectly competent for the job. But, that job wasn't to lead the Post Office; it was to destroy it. There has always been a faction of American politics that wants to privatize the Post Office and DeJoy can be viewed as their stalking horse.
Fair enough. He is the first postmaster in more than 2 decades without specific USPS experience. The rest I would agree with you at least probably on intention. I don't think it was a formally stated goal of the Trump administration to destroy the post office, even though that sounds up to snuff. His party has wanted to privatize it for years.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:47 AM
Eric Perry

Because every thread needs a card, and people should keep political talk out of the card forum...

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-04-2021, 09:16 AM
Ben North

Only 2 packages but I got a new cable to go from my box outside to my modem and these 2 pieces of cut card art yesterday. Both in 3 days from when mailed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg framedCobb.jpg (78.8 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg framedRip.jpg (79.7 KB, 352 views)
Old 12-07-2021, 07:49 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Sold a T206 on ebay. Mailed 1st class 12/1, scheduled to arrive Yesterday 12/6, tracking says arriving late, buyer reported item not received today 12/7. No more selling this year and blocking him.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:00 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch-Hitter View Post
Sold a T206 on ebay. Mailed 1st class 12/1, scheduled to arrive Yesterday 12/6, tracking says arriving late, buyer reported item not received today 12/7. No more selling this year and blocking him.
Not sure I understand the problem with a buyer telling you he didn't get an item when he expected to get it. Maybe he didn't see the update from the USPS? I've given sellers all kinds of hell in the past when this happens, although usually not until later. As a seller it's generally understood that the onus is on you to get the item to the buyer in a reasonable amount of time. The USPS service this time of year makes that extremely difficult, I'll give you - but doesn't change that fact.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:10 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Not sure I understand the problem with a buyer telling you he didn't get an item when he expected to get it. Maybe he didn't see the update from the USPS? I've given sellers all kinds of hell in the past when this happens, although usually not until later. As a seller it's generally understood that the onus is on you to get the item to the buyer in a reasonable amount of time. The USPS service this time of year makes that extremely difficult, I'll give you - but doesn't change that fact.
He didn't send a message; He reported it. Tracking is attached to the listing.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:15 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
He didn't send a message; He reported it. Tracking is attached to the listing.
On eBay? Ok. Frustrating, but they also won't do anything with it for awhile if it's a legit postal delay.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:22 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
I'm confused about one thing. Did he give you a negative for this or just informed you about this delay in his receiving the item. If it's just telling you the item was delayed and as verified by the USPS then there is not much you can do at this point. If you got a neg you should be able to argue that one.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:30 AM
Mike

I have had a few problems with the ebay letter option. A few have never arrived to my customers and there is no way for the USPS to track them. They say the ebay tracking system is not in their system. I don't understand, then who scans the item ? Has to be USPS scans the item but it doesn't go in there system.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:39 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I have had a few problems with the ebay letter option. A few have never arrived to my customers and there is no way for the USPS to track them. They say the ebay tracking system is not in their system. I don't understand, then who scans the item ? Has to be USPS scans the item but it doesn't go in there system.
Yeah it's wonky at best. Somehow they get scanned, but every item that is sent to me like that is marked "delivered" by eBay before it actually is. Like they scan it delivered at the hub, and then it gets delivered in my mailbox the next day. I guess some tracking is better than none, but there are kinks in that system.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:46 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

-Haven't received a negative
-he knows how to message and he knows i respond to messages.
-he opened a dispute because he didn't receive his package yesterday.
-he did not message about the mail running late.

Maybe i'm overreacting to his overreaction?

I'm not a big seller so maybe I'm not familiar with current ettiquette.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...%2C&tABt=false
Old 12-08-2021, 06:46 AM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
I thought when you check tracking, it says "estimated" delivery date, doesn't it? I could easily be getting that thought wrong in my head but thought it did, or at least used to. I get the feeling that people just see the date and not the estimated part. Regardless, that buyer definitely jumped the gun on reporting as not received.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:28 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCauley View Post
I thought when you check tracking, it says "estimated" delivery date, doesn't it? I could easily be getting that thought wrong in my head but thought it did, or at least used to. I get the feeling that people just see the date and not the estimated part. Regardless, that buyer definitely jumped the gun on reporting as not received.
Yes, it initially listed Monday as estimated delivery. Now it says it's running late with no updated date. I believe he has much less experience with these things than we do.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:04 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I'm lucky. The people at my local Post Office know me by name. I have the same delivery person nearly every day. Sending and receiving have been smooth as silk. Zero problems with the USPS.

On the other hand...

FedEx has been awful, in my experience. I've dealt with too many incoming package nightmares. They've lost packages entirely, delivered them to my neighbors, returned them to sender because they claimed myy house was a vacant lot, etc., etc., etc. I've spent countless hours over the years with their (ahem) "customer service" representatives. That's on the receiving end. I simply won't use them to send anything; they've obliterated my trust.

Sounds like the new recruits at FedEx are former USPS employees. But like you Eric all the chicks at my post office can’t wait to get their hands on my package.

My last Fedex package needed a signature. It was actually thrown at my door. I went to sign as the truck was pulling away.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:18 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Mind sending me his ebay handle? I'd like to block him, too.