NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-13-2010, 03:53 AM

Default downloadable photo guide book text

Tests, comments and criticism of a test version of Judging the Authenticity of Photographs 5th edition. Free pdf download at top link at cycleback.com

Finished version of document will be done next week. Feel free to test and comment on downloadability, size problems, usability, document size, whatever. Comments will be used in making final version.

Thank you,
David
Old 02-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Clayton

Default This is awesome!!!!

Wow David,this is great!!!I clicked on the link,and was shocked-this is a must see for everyone on this forum for sure.You must've done a ton of research,and I love all of the photo's and history-thank you so much for this!!!
Sincerely,Clayton

Added to say-I will be reading this for quite awhile!!!!
Old 02-13-2010, 11:32 PM

double post

Last edited by drc; 02-13-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:33 PM

That was awful nice, Clayton. I was half expecting to read that the book crashed someone's computer.

The #1 best thing about pdf is it can have high quality COLOR pictures. All my print books are black and white, with obvious limitations when the subject is color photography.

Last edited by drc; 02-13-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Clayton

Well,actually I didn't really answer any of the questions you wanted input on-I just wanted to add that it downloaded VERY FAST!!!Matter of seconds-and the photo quality is GREAT!!!
Also,really enjoyed your website too-love the knowledge-thanks again!!

Sincerely,Clayton
Old 02-14-2010, 12:06 AM

Hearing it worked is good for me to know. I only know how it works for me, not others. Sometimes a document or program doesn't work for others.

Last edited by drc; 02-14-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:35 AM
T!M R10rd@n

I downloaded it fine.

After skimming through it quickly, it does look like a great book with lots of valuable information.

One question, is this intended to be distributed in print, PDF, or both?

In print I understand the page size, but for a PDF, going to an 8.5" x 11" size page would require significantly fewer sheets of paper to print.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Kyle B@rni@k

Default Thank You

As both a new member and an auction house employee, thank you for such a great resource-fast download and easy readability...
Old 02-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Dan Carson

Default Book

I have your book and it's excellent! The pocket size makes it great for your pocket.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:43 PM

Tim, your question is good. It was originally formatted to be a paperback sized book. I'm not sure how different people will read the pdf book, though. 8x11 is best for printing, but worse for reading on a computer. I'll have to think about that ... Though, be warned, my laziness about reformatting the entire thing will be a factor I still have to proof and rearrange some out of place stuff, but the final version will be at the same place on Friday.

Last edited by drc; 02-14-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:42 AM

Default I already own two of your photo books David.

I concur with the board. Lightning fast download (just got windows 7 last week) terrific content and images. Well done Dr. C.

A must for all who are interested in learning what you will need to make good decisions and sound judgement when looking to purchase vintage photos.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:50 AM
R Dixon

Default Thanks

David,

I have been thinking about getting into collecting photos, but have intimidated because of my lack of knowledge. After reading the first few pages of your book, I feel like it is a must read for me before making my first purchase. Thank you so much for making this available to me for free! I am going to print it out before I read the rest of it, and I will give you some feedback as soon as I get through. Thanks again.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:57 AM
Bill Cohon

David,

First of all, thank you for your wonderful work. Your informal style makes the subject matter accessible.

I glanced through, and then went back to read carefully. At present, I am only on page 40, but I noticed that you will be finalizing on Friday. Here are several stylistic and typographical errors; I thought it might help to share them with you.

P. 13, par. 2, "tarnish has come to [the] surface." P. 16, par. 2, "essential to identify[ing] and dating." P. 21, par. 3, "It just has to [be] accurately described." P. 30 par. 1, "or the archives of a magazine the [should be 'he'}worked for."

I have enjoyed reading the materials on your website, just as I am enjoying this new work. Thank you once again, and best of luck.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:35 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Thank you so much for sharing your work! It is an excellent resource.

Jeff
Old 02-16-2010, 08:39 AM

I'm in trouble now. Mr. Cohen's a teacher. Notes duly noted. I like the comment on my informal style, as that's the way I try to write in all venues. Trying to write like William Faulkner wouldn't do readers or me any good.

Starting Wed, I have the home all to myself for the rest of the week, so will do the final read through. To be safe, anyone can download their final copy of Sunday, though it should be done by Sat morning. Thanks.

Lastly, many people use the guide like a bird book, rather than reading it like a novel. Look up postcards to date a postcard, or reference the glass photos chapter to find out the name of a strange glass photo.

Last edited by drc; 02-16-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Bill Cohon

How did the editing project go? Did you finish?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:30 PM

I did a quick final go through. The major issue was some photos were out of place (though captioned correctly)