NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-14-2013, 12:19 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Default OT: Congrats little Timmy!

We knew you still had it in you!!

... and 148 pitches you little non icing savage!! "Shhhhhhhhh" to all the pitch count Nazis out there.

Last edited by itjclarke; 07-14-2013 at 12:44 AM. Reason: ... And
Old 07-14-2013, 12:54 AM
Ken McMillan

Come on.....he was pitching to the Padres. LOL
Old 07-14-2013, 12:55 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Weak
Old 07-14-2013, 01:25 AM
Sean Costello

Not to be a pitch count Nazi, but it's lucky for Tim that the All Star break is here. He's going to need the extra rest.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:46 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Not to be a pitch count Nazi, but it's lucky for Tim that the All Star break is here. He's going to need the extra rest.
Agree, it's nice for him the AS break is coming. He had gone 140+ during his 1st Cy Young year.. and he's gone 120-130+ a handful of other times. I think the reason he hasn't done so as often in the past couple years is more related to a lack of effectiveness than to fatigue though. I still think he has a rubber arm that can throw forever.

Regardless, I am just so happy for this guy... even proud for him. He's had a tough couple years but just keeps going out there every 5th day and taking the ball. I feel as good for him as I did Zito in last year's post season. Both those guys showed nothing but class/character when struggling, which means a heck of a lot more than when things are going great.

Pads or whoever against, these guys are all big league hitters.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:12 AM
Mike C@.v3

Default Congrats!

Ian,

You nailed it. Timmy has been struggling for a few years now and has shown nothing but class during that time. I was rooting for him immensely and was very happy for him...he deserves this. It doesn't matter what team he did it against because they are all big leaguers and no team is easy to no-hit...no one. Anyone that brings up such crap is just bitter.

Congrats to the freak!
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 07-14-2013, 02:16 AM

A no hitter is a NO HITTER....nice to see the Freak pitching well again!

Ricky Y
Old 07-14-2013, 03:40 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post

Pads or whoever against, these guys are all big league hitters.
As Tim himself said a couple years ago, F@CK YEAH.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:01 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Congrats Timmy

I only wish he would wait until he's NOT on my bench in fantasy to do this sh!t though

Just a question for everyone. As far as modern players go, has this guy done enough to get some HOF consideration(assuming he eventually gets 10 seasons)? Obviously not slam dunk. Does he fall into that "short spurt of greatness" Koufax type category? Or does he fall a bit short and wind up in the Doc Gooden category? Or are they all in that same category, with the type of player never really having a chance at the HOF again?

Last edited by novakjr; 07-14-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:29 AM
Rich Klein

Default timmy has a while to go before

HOF consideration just in terms of years pitched to start. I think he needs 6-7more really good years to get in that discussion
Old 07-14-2013, 04:43 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
HOF consideration just in terms of years pitched to start. I think he needs 6-7more really good years to get in that discussion
Yeah, now that I look a little closer. Maybe Doc wasn't a good comparision. Didn't realize that he had 10 pretty nice years before the falloff.

And I keep forgetting that Sandy was only 30 when he retired. For some reason I keep thinking the great seasons were in the middle somewhere, rather than at the end, with him retiring at his peak..
Old 07-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Barry Sloate

Koufax won 53 games in his last two seasons. No comparison, as much as I am a big Lincecum fan.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:02 AM
Miguel Sz@b@n¥&

Wow!! I couldn't be happier for him. He's well deserving of his first no-no.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

No San Francisco Giant should be considered for the HOF...

just my opinion as a Dodger fan.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Bill Gregory

I caught the last two innings of Tim's no no last night. His pitching performance was very encouraging as far as his future goes. His velocity is down a bit from when he won the back to back Cy Young Awards in 2008 and 2009, but his stuff is still nasty.

Tim's problem has been maddening periods of inconsistency. He's had several really good starts where he just hit a wall, and fell apart. Tonight he had batters swinging and missing all over the place. He can be a dominant pitcher again if he can continue mixing up hit pitches like he did last night. And I'm happy to say that. I really like Tim Lincecum, and I'd like to see him back on top of his game.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
+1 First, agreed a no-no is a no-no. But, a little perspective here. This accomplishment is the equivalent of a major league pitcher tossing one against a peewee / cap league team comprised of six year olds.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:47 PM
John Mavroudis

Default Timmy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post

Ha ha... too late... as the New York / San Francisco Giants have more Hall of Famers than ANYBODY! Woo Hoo!

As for the quip about it only being "against the Padres"... What team do you root for and when was your last no-hitter against the Padres? ha ha...

ATTAWAY TIMMY!!! HOF or not, he'll be remembered forever for the amazing run he's had... Two Cy Youngs, Two World Series Championships, Strikeout Leader, No-Hitter, Dynamic Playoff performer... all in a small package of dynamite.

www.zenpop.com
Old 07-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post

Tim's problem has been maddening periods of inconsistency. He's had several really good starts where he just hit a wall, and fell apart. Tonight he had batters swinging and missing all over the place. He can be a dominant pitcher again if he can continue mixing up hit pitches like he did last night. And I'm happy to say that. I really like Tim Lincecum, and I'd like to see him back on top of his game.
Lincecum seems to have one bad inning per outing, but that one inning is usually a really bad one. And the Giant's offense is rarely able to bail him out.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:50 PM
John Mavroudis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post

oh... and: Dodger Fan = Your argument is invalid.

www.zenpop.com
Old 07-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenPop View Post
oh... and: Dodger Fan = Your argument is invalid.
Now now, maybe he's not a typical Dodger fan.

You know, those fans who waved syringes at Barry Bonds, then a couple years later cheered themselves hoarse when Manny Ramirez joined the Dodgers.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:31 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
You know, those fans who waved syringes at Barry Bonds, then a couple years later cheered themselves hoarse when Manny Ramirez joined the Dodgers.
Hey, how could they boo a guy who just wanted to get pregnant and start a little family??

Glad some others have similar affection for our little warrior. Being 5'8" about 159 (if you've ever stood next to the guy, you would not believe official listed height/weight) and able to get big league hitters out is impressive enough. To get 27 outs without a hit is savage! Follow that up with 2x Cy's and a lights out postseason as a starter and another as a super reliever (HUGE X factor last year), he's going to be an SF legend long after he's done, HOF or not.

Btw- love the Timmy love Freakhappy! I know you're a closet Giants fan at heart!!

Last edited by itjclarke; 07-14-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:03 PM
qu@n nguy3n

the guy is closer to being a relief pitcher at this point than a potential hof'er.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:25 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I wonder how much and who will get him next season. I think taking a shot on his is worth it if his price isn't too high. I was thinking 8 mill
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:26 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I wonder how much and who will get him next season. I think taking a shot on his is worth it if his price isn't too high. I was thinking 8 mill a year
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
+1 First, agreed a no-no is a no-no. But, a little perspective here. This accomplishment is the equivalent of a major league pitcher tossing one against a peewee / cap league team comprised of six year olds.
Poor buddy...Diego is 42-54 and slightly underrated IMO at the break and scored ten runs on the Giants the day after the no-hitter. I can see bashing it if Houston is the team, but it just seems like you're bitter for some reason. Wait, you're from San Diego...well, that explains it.

Ian...you got me. The Giants are on my favorites list right behind Houston
Old 07-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
Poor buddy...Diego is 42-54 and slightly underrated IMO at the break and scored ten runs on the Giants the day after the no-hitter. I can see bashing it if Houston is the team, but it just seems like you're bitter for some reason. Wait, you're from San Diego...well, that explains it.
That's good! LOL! Yeah, our last championship was 50 years ago when the Dolts beat the Boston Pats for the AFL trophy in '63. Quite a dry spell.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:15 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
That's good! LOL! Yeah, our last championship was 50 years ago when the Dolts beat the Boston Pats for the AFL trophy in '63. Quite a dry spell.
At least you got Anchorman II coming out soon.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:06 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post

From what I've seen, he seems to run into 1 of 3 problems each time. He seems to get frustrated and then falls apart..

1)10+ pitch AB's that result in a bloop single. Then he falls apart.
2)Facing the pitcher. Instead of just pitching, he starts nibbling and throwing junk, like he's trying to show him up. If it ends up in BB, he falls apart.
3)Defensive miscues, even ones that aren't technically errors. He falls apart.

As much as I like Scutaro, he's been the biggest culprit of the 3rd one. On at least 3 occasions this year, I've seen a Scutaro miscue start Timmy disaster innings.

Timmy's 2nd start of the year vs Colo, was the most notable. Scutaro throws away a ball to 2nd, trying to turn a DP, when Tulo was already safe at 2nd(scutaro does this more often than I think a MLB caliber middle infielder should), instead of just throwing to 1st to get Cuddyer. Scut's get charged with an error on the bad throw(because Tulo advanced to 3rd), but because the runner was already safe at 2nd(and you can't assume a DP), it's ruled that "both runners are safe on FC" and no "out" is applied toward ERA consideration.. Timmy got hit with 5 ER's that inning instead the 0 that it should've been(based on the scoring technicality). And that's not even taking into consideration, that had Scutaro made the appropriate play, Timmy might not have even fallen apart in the first place. Timmy follows that up that inning with 2 hits(one is a solo shot to Tulo), 1 BB and 6 K's over the next 4 innings..

Last edited by novakjr; 07-16-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Banned

Bump for performance reduction.

San Francisco       IP     H    R   ER   BB   K   HR   ERA
Lincecum (L, 5-10) 3.2   9   8   8     1     2   3   4.73

Last edited by Rob D.; 07-23-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Bill Gregory

Ya, Rob, anybody who was expecting more magic last night was in for a disappointment.

The Giant pitchers have driven me crazy in fantasy baseball. Last year I had Lincecum, who imploded. This year, I drafted Bumgarner and Cain. Bumgarner has been quite good (with a few bad starts here and there), but Cain has been awful. Just when you think he's getting back on track, he has a serious brain fart.

I actually like the idea of making Lincecum a closer. The guy's still got nasty stuff. His heater is down a few ticks, but the first time or two through the lineup, he's usually good. It's that third pass that usually kills him--at least in the games I've watched him. Out of the pen as a closer, he could basically turn a game into eight innings.

Cain will rebound. Bumgarner is great. I was surprised they traded away Zack Wheeler when they did. But their loss is going to be New York's gain. The Mets starting rotation with Harvey, Wheeler and Noah Syndergaard is going to be downright nasty. I mean filthy.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:30 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Default Congrats again Timmy!

Well, I figured it was about time to bump this thread.. And I guess little Timmy did too. Never ceases to amaze me, especially how often he's been written off, and pulls stuff like this out.

Pre-emptive comment- don't care that it was the Pads, 2 no nos in 2 years is an amazing accomplishment regardless.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Sean Costello

Six of the eight San Diego starters today were also in the lineup the last time Lincecum no-hit the Padres.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:00 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Six of the eight San Diego starters today were also in the lineup the last time Lincecum no-hit the Padres.
Well, they always say the 3rd time through the lineup's the toughest, so props to Tim for taking care of business the 4th, 5th and 6th today.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:01 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenPop View Post
Ha ha... too late... as the New York / San Francisco Giants have more Hall of Famers than ANYBODY! Woo Hoo!

As for the quip about it only being "against the Padres"... What team do you root for and when was your last no-hitter against the Padres? ha ha...

ATTAWAY TIMMY!!! HOF or not, he'll be remembered forever for the amazing run he's had... Two Cy Youngs, Two World Series Championships, Strikeout Leader, No-Hitter, Dynamic Playoff performer... all in a small package of dynamite.
Just to add fuel to the fire...

The Giants ONLY have more HOFers than the Yankees because of one very influential man on the Veteran's Committee- Frankie Frisch
Old 06-25-2014, 05:08 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Just to add fuel to the fire...

The Giants ONLY have more HOFers than the Yankees because of one very influential man on the Veteran's Committee- Frankie Frisch
Don't really see this as an opportunity for debate.. But ok. I'll happily take Mays, McCovey, Cepeda, Marichal, Perry's SF era years alone, over many other franchises complete histories.

Add Mathewson, Ott, Terry, Hubbell... And prior to turn of century Rusie, McGinnity, Keefe, Welch, McGraw, O'Rourke, Ewing (on my phone at airport or would find some more legit ones).. On and on. You don't even need to gimme T Jackson, Bancroft, Kelly, etc.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Don't really see this as an opportunity for debate.. But ok. I'll happily take Mays, McCovey, Cepeda, Marichal, Perry's SF era years alone, over many other franchises complete histories.

Add Mathewson, Ott, Terry, Hubbell... And prior to turn of century Rusie, McGinnity, Keefe, Welch, McGraw, O'Rourke, Ewing (on my phone at airport or would find some more legit ones).. On and on. You don't even need to gimme T Jackson, Bancroft, Kelly, etc.
What about Bonds?

Er, never mind.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-25-2014, 05:17 PM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Wow, only the second pitcher in major league history to no hit the same team twice. Addie Joss did it back in 1908 and 1910 against the White Sox. Thought there would have been more. Great job Timmy!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Not that I don't have a solid argument, but, in honor of two of my favorite players, Will Clark & Tim Hudson, I will allow the more hardcore Yankees fans to answer.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Barry Sloate

I love Lincecum and am thrilled to see him pitch a second no-no. He's certainly not the pitcher he once was but is still occasionally brilliant. He's never been the same since he stopped smoking pot.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:10 PM

None of us are, Barry, none of us are.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Barry Sloate

I stopped too.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:27 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyy View Post
A no hitter is a NO HITTER....nice to see the Freak pitching well again!

Ricky Y
^^^ This x 100

We celebrate Johnny Vandermeer's back to back no hitters without any qualifying statements. There's no "ya, but he was playing against the Boston Braves and the Brooklyn Robins." A no hitter is a no hitter. A perfect game is a perfect game. They're all special, because no matter how well you are pitching, the guys behind you have to catch the balls that are hit. And no matter how good the opposing team's offense is (or is not), they're still Major League players, and there are a lot of guys in the minor leagues that would love to replace them.

I love Timmy. He's not the dominant pitcher he once was, but he goes out there, and pitches his butt off. He never complains. And just occasionally, we get great nights like tonight.

And though I missed this game, I am going to turn on my high def Sony flatscreen, load up MLB.tv on the Roku, and watch him throw a no hitter tonight after dinner.

Good on you, Tim!

Old 06-25-2014, 07:50 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
... my favorite players, Will Clark.
The Thrill was by far my favorite player as a kid. Being a left handed first baseman, I tried to emulate everything he did (except didn't bat left handed), including the eye black, blowing bubbles mid-play, pointing to my teammates after hits, and perfecting facial expressions including the one sided smile and that strange ridiculous but awesome game face frown. Love that guy! Not really interested to argue other points nor to hear from Yankee fans (I like my teams' HOFers, you/they can like theirs), but I guess I'll read it if they post it.

Regardless, congrats again Timmy and stay hot! I'll be at his next start in SF with one my best friends and a die hard Cards fan.. Gonna be awesome and electric.

Btw- I definitely think Timmy still tokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
What about Bonds?
Er, never mind.
Was limiting list to current HOFers, otherwise would have listed our former resident red ass and porn stache'd Jeff Kent too. I think Mr Bonds should be a HOFer too... But think Kent may have a better shot (though voting doesn't support it yet). If sport writers remain on their moral high horse about the cheaters, they may as well reward bonus points to the uber clean Kent who's one of the first to go on record and demand testing (he and Glavine are in a class of their own in that regard)... Also offensively one of the most productive 2nd baseman ever.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:43 PM

Nothing against 2 times Timmy... I think he's Very good for the game & I Simply Love the Padres (~ I lived in San Diego for 17 years & Petco is the Best Stadium I've ever been iN... I Love that Place!)

However, the Pod's are on a Pace to break the 68 Met's 213 Low Batting Average...

Nuf Sed... "Lets Go Mets"
Old 06-25-2014, 09:58 PM
Rob

Quote:
The Thrill was by far my favorite player as a kid. Being a left handed first baseman, I tried to emulate everything he did (except didn't bat left handed), including the eye black, blowing bubbles mid-play, pointing to my teammates after hits, and perfecting facial expressions including the one sided smile and that strange ridiculous but awesome game face frown. Love that guy! Not really interested to argue other points nor to hear from Yankee fans (I like my teams' HOFers, you/they can like theirs), but I guess I'll read it if they post it.

Regardless, congrats again Timmy and stay hot! I'll be at his next start in SF with one my best friends and a die hard Cards fan.. Gonna be awesome and electric.

Btw- I definitely think Timmy still tokes

Was limiting list to current HOFers, otherwise would have listed our former resident red ass and porn stache'd Jeff Kent too. I think Mr Bonds should be a HOFer too... But think Kent may have a better shot (though voting doesn't support it yet). If sport writers remain on their moral high horse about the cheaters, they may as well reward bonus points to the uber clean Kent who's one of the first to go on record and demand testing (he and Glavine are in a class of their own in that regard)... Also offensively one of the most productive 2nd baseman ever.
I'm a huge Giants fan but would not be surprised at all if Kent took PEDs. How else can you explain his 37 HR (and Aurilia's 37) when no one other than Bonds has hit more than 27 since? Just like the finger wagger, Kent doth protest too much.

and I'm still pissed by Kent's no-show in the 2002 WS.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:23 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I'm a huge Giants fan but would not be surprised at all if Kent took PEDs. How else can you explain his 37 HR (and Aurilia's 37) when no one other than Bonds has hit more than 27 since? Just like the finger wagger, Kent doth protest too much.

and I'm still pissed by Kent's no-show in the 2002 WS.
Don't get me wrong. I'm definitely of the mind that any of them could be (could've been) dirty. In my mind this includes iconic players from the pre- recognized steroid era (when I think plenty of guys did roids.. The old kind)... Ryan, Ripken, Schmidt, who knows??? This is one reason it drives me nuts to see Bonds/Clemens bear ten times the brunt of all other players. I think it's very probable there are roiders in Cooperstown, but they were just lucky enough to have played before baseball (and writers) grew a conscience toward such things.

The only reason I give Kent benefit of doubt is that he was so adamant about mandatory testing before anyone else was.. except maybe Glavine. Part of me wouldn't be surprised if he suspected or knew many of his teammates were juicing (Santiago, Rios, Estalella, Santangelo, Bernard... And yes, I've been suspicious of Richie, nice guy or not, as well as the super beefed up 2000 version of Ellis Burks) and was infuriated by it. Kent has never been known to be popular with teammates, and also didn't have patience for players he didn't like (see final years in LA playing with Matt Kemp and company).

If writers so condemn what would have been HOF worthy guys for doing what most of the league was doing, they may as well give brownie points for a guy who stood up to it. Seems like a fair trade to me. Especially when that guy has hall worthy 2nd base offensive stats.

(Love your username btw!)

Last edited by itjclarke; 06-25-2014 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Mandatory
Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I stopped too.
I stopped too........ then exhaled. (only when in Colorado of course )

and congrats to Tim!!

Last edited by Leon; 06-26-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Mike C@.v3

I got to watch the last inning on break at work. Looked like vintage Timmy out there...pitch count was right on, only one walk, porn 'stache, he looked good. I feel for him ever since he "lost" his mojo...he seems like such a good dude and it's moments like this that make me happy for guys like him...he deserved it!

I swear once I noticed he was getting close to the no-hitter, I thought of you Ian....I knew you would be super pumped about it...as you should! Congrats to Timmy and your Giants, Ian!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2014, 10:24 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Thanks Mike! I'll return the love when your boy Tanaka throws one.

BTW- don't you just love I had Timmy on the bench yesterday?!? I'm not catching many breaks this year.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:40 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
The Thrill was by far my favorite player as a kid. Being a left handed first baseman, I tried to emulate everything he did (except didn't bat left handed), including the eye black, blowing bubbles mid-play, pointing to my teammates after hits, and perfecting facial expressions including the one sided smile and that strange ridiculous but awesome game face frown. Love that guy!
That's really interesting, Ian. Something else we have in common. I always loved Will Clark. He eventually made his way down to Texas, and played with the Rangers for most of the second half of his career. I saw him a few times at the Ballpark in Arlington. He just mashed the ball. I always put him and Robin Yount in the same category. I felt they were both throwback players. Just the way they approached the game. Never showy, never flashy. They just went out there every single day, did their jobs exceedingly well, and at the end of the day, you always felt you got more than 100% from them.

Clark had one of the sweetest swings I've ever seen, too. That front leg of his would just kick out perfectly straight. Then his hips would start to rotate, and then he'd get that full extension of his arms, and the bat head would just whip through the strike zone. So fluid. It's as if God made him to play baseball. If you'd ask me to name two of the most beautiful swings I've ever seen, I'd put Ken Griffey Jr. and Will Clark right at the top. And Clark was so good at just taking what the pitcher was giving him. He could just rip it into the seats in right field, or just pop it to the opposite field in left. He never got fooled.

There were 170 hitters between 1980 and 2000 to have 5,000 or more at bats. Of those, only 17 had a higher OPS than Will Clark's .880. He hit with power, and he got on base. Very underrated player, if you ask me.