NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2021, 11:24 PM
N.ate A.dams

I once purchased a raw E90-1 Mathewson and it was sent with insurance, signature confirmation, the works. Our substitute mailman Johnny was an absolute moron who flew down the street, causing myself and my neighbors to exchange mail literally every time he was on the route. The whole entire neighborhood would call and report him - nothing changed.

Well, on the day this Mathewson was delivered to me, it was not delivered on my doorstep, yet a picture was uploaded with a signature. So, in other words, fraud. He signed it, and left it on the front porch of a random house and took a picture to confirm it was delivered. I called the Post Office and was given the run-around with claims that it clearly was delivered. I would ask, does that look like my name that was signed there?

Their reply? Well sir, we dont know what your signature looks like.

Ebay wouldnt do anything because, again, it was signed for and delivered with a picture to confirm it. It didnt matter that I showed them a picture of my front yard which contained nothing that was in the picture.

This was a Friday, so Saturday I saw Nancy, our regular incredible postwoman, and literally ran down the street to catch her and asked her to be on the lookout for this package. She was well aware of Johnny. I showed her the picture of where he left it and she knew she had seen this house. The following Monday, she brought the package to me - saying she could see it from the road. Johnny was fired.

So, if anyone was ever wondering what it takes to get a USPS worker fired - this is it.

And thus ends the entertainment for the evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2021, 04:48 PM
Randy

well kids, the moral of the story is do not be like Johnny
Old 12-09-2021, 04:49 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

After a real slowdown a couple weeks ago, the last week or so I have been receiving packages much faster (in some cases, faster than normal). Anyone else noticed this?
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 12-09-2021, 05:22 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
After a real slowdown a couple weeks ago, the last week or so I have been receiving packages much faster (in some cases, faster than normal). Anyone else noticed this?
Yeah. It's very hit or miss. I got a '56 Berra about 3 days early last week, but today had a different card show up 2 days late. As long as they eventually get to you, you can't really complain this time of year. I find that stuff coming from the Northeast and New England tends to have the worst slowdowns for some reason.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Yeah. It's very hit or miss. I got a '56 Berra about 3 days early last week, but today had a different card show up 2 days late. As long as they eventually get to you, you can't really complain this time of year. I find that stuff coming from the Northeast and New England tends to have the worst slowdowns for some reason.
We've been hit really hard with labor market problems. It's rough – jobs take forever to fill. I imagine the fact that USPS drug tests only exacerbates their hiring woes up here.

FWIW, packages are slow up here, but our postal workers are always pretty good at estimating how long the delays are. I've kept track of everything I've sent, and their projection is usually within a day's accuracy.

Successful transactions with: t206kid, rootsearcher60, 36GoudeyMan, 53toppscollector, Scott L, horzverti, YazFenway08

Also on blowout! Same username.

Flippin my way to a PSA 1 Eddie Plank
Old 12-09-2021, 06:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Sounds like the new recruits at FedEx are former USPS employees. But like you Eric all the chicks at my post office can’t wait to get their hands on my package.

My last Fedex package needed a signature. It was actually thrown at my door. I went to sign as the truck was pulling away.
Since the pandemic began, I've had maybe a dozen packages where I couldn't sign electronically or waive the signature, and only on one (Fed Ex, a guy I had never seen before so probably new) has anyone actually rung my doorbell and asked for a signature. It's fine with me as my porch is perfectly safe.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:38 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Since the pandemic began, I've had maybe a dozen packages where I couldn't sign electronically or waive the signature, and only on one (Fed Ex, a guy I had never seen before so probably new) has anyone actually rung my doorbell and asked for a signature. It's fine with me as my porch is perfectly safe.
My porch is just as safe as yours, but I had waited for 4 hours to sign when the package hit my front door.

I had pleaded with the sender not to require a signature to no avail.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:11 AM
J0hn Collin$

FedEx "signature required" and them then playing the extremes of that (either throwing the package and not caring, or making it difficult and virtually demanding you sign in blood...) seems to be a thing that's gone on for some time now. What's with that?
Old 12-10-2021, 07:03 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

We are lucky, no issues with any carrier...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:43 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post

...the chicks at my post office can’t wait to get their hands on my package...
Frank's wit is so sharp, the man uses it to open boxes.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-10-2021, 12:51 PM

Default And :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Frank's wit is so sharp, the man uses it to open boxes.
It's been said he sets off alarms entering the boarding area of airports.....

Old 12-10-2021, 08:13 PM
Jeff H

The USPS has been delivering packages in a timely manner in my area. The only problem that I've had recently is that I can still see the tracking on a package "out for delivery" that I received over 2 weeks ago.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:15 AM
Justin

I need this meme as much as anyone else, but wanted to share.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2021, 08:40 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Two things in the card hobby that you can guarantee:

1) People will complain about buyers on Ebay and how "they're getting worse"

2) People will complain about USPS and how "they're getting worse"

These two things are as sure as the sun coming up. In my 20+ years online as a member of eBay and various card forums, those two things have ALWAYS been going on.

Last week, I had someone mail me a package that they shipped at around 2pm. I had it the next morning.

I mailed someone a package on Saturday. Dropped it off around 11am. It was delivered 800 miles away on Monday morning at 7am.

Last edited by Tabe; 12-14-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:53 AM

Default 8, 000 miles , yes eight thousand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Two things in the card hobby that you can guarantee:

1) People will complain about buyers on Ebay and how "they're getting worse"

2) People will complain about USPS and how "they're getting worse"

These two things are as sure as the sun coming up. In my 20+ years online as a member of eBay and various card forums, those two things have ALWAYS been going on.

Last week, I had someone mail me a package that they shipped at around 2pm. I had it the next morning.

I mailed someone a package on Saturday. Dropped it off around 11am. It was delivered 800 miles away on Monday morning at 7am.

..***** ..An hour ago I received , literally this morning on December 14th , here in the blatant boondocks of the coal regions of Eastern Pennsylvania , halfway between Pottstown and Pottsville , a standard first class normal padded envelope of autographed '36 Chicle and Goudey photocard premiums , which was postmarked December 10th in "Haiku , HI. ", 96708 , which according to Googlemaps is in the blatant boondocks of Maui ......four days .......go figure......and why the cards were in Hawaii in the first place is another story , I'm sure.........so , Mele Kalikimaka to the USPS ......( Der Bingle's version of that song is far and away the best )

Old 12-15-2021, 04:07 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

I refunded my guy because the package was MIA for several days. Requested he contact me if it arrived. Few days later it was delivered. He messaged me that he would send paypal. I replied with my paypal email and now waiting.

Tabe you're right; everything always goes smoothly. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-15-2021, 02:23 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch-Hitter View Post
I refunded my guy because the package was MIA for several days. Requested he contact me if it arrived. Few days later it was delivered. He messaged me that he would send paypal. I replied with my paypal email and now waiting.

Tabe you're right; everything always goes smoothly. Thanks for sharing.
Nah, that's not what I said, as you're well aware.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:29 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcosta19 View Post
I need this meme as much as anyone else, but wanted to share.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo