NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-28-2021, 05:05 PM
Alan Strout

Default Any other frustrated collectors out there???

Hi guys,

I just got back from my first spring training game since COVID shut everything down last spring.

I'm an Orioles fan and collector that loves more than just cards. A big part of my collection are programs, media guides, schedules, postcards and photos.

Over the past few years, the Orioles PR dept has continued to embrace electronic media to the disappointment of many O's collectors. First they scrapped printed media guides, then magnet skeds and yearbooks.

Now, at the game today, I was told that no more programs will be printed, that I could down load them to my phone. The plan is to eliminate them during the regular season also. They are also planning to eliminate player postcards after printing them each year since 1954.

I have Orioles spring training & regular season programs back to 1954. Has anyone else heard of teams going completely electronic and killing that segment of the hobby. Ticket collectors have already experienced my pain.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:09 PM
M@rk Lu7z

That's pretty disappointing. I hope that some enterprising type produces some real programs that could be sold / distributed outside the park.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
That's pretty disappointing. I hope that some enterprising type produces some real programs that could be sold / distributed outside the park.
For a number of years, there was an unofficial program, called Outside Pitch, distributed outside the Camden Yards ballpark. Maybe something like that will again be produced.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:45 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
For a number of years, there was an unofficial program, called Outside Pitch, distributed outside the Camden Yards ballpark. Maybe something like that will again be produced.
I hope so. I have all the Game Day / Outside Pitch programs except the very first issue.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:33 PM
Tim Odeen

Wow! That's unbelievable. I didn't know this was happening. They can't be losing that much money on programs. Disappointing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 02-28-2021, 08:12 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Has anyone else heard of teams going completely electronic and killing that segment of the hobby.
Not completely, but last year the Mets offered electronic versions of their yearbook, media guide, and program for free, through their website. Only the yearbook was also available for purchase as a printed publication.

Last edited by Gary Dunaier; 02-28-2021 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:14 PM
M@++ Cyganik

The Padres have been doing this for a few years now. My father visits SD at least once a year from AZ but has become bitter with them because of the lack of programs and paper ephemera they phased out I want to say like 3-4 years ago.

Boston is pushing for more of a digital footprint where necessary as well. My family and I went to Game 1 of the World Series in 2018 via StubHub. Unlike prior WS years at Fenway, its been impossible to find a paper ticket in the secondary market for 2018 because so many tickets were sent digitally.

Unfortunately, like chalkboards and cursive writing in school, paper mementos are gradually losing importance in a digital push. Even paper trading cards have to be slabbed in plastic and catalogued online these days
Old 02-28-2021, 08:41 PM
David

Sadly the game of baseball will struggle to stay alive. In a few years there will be very little fan interplay at games. The minor leagues are compressing and, of course, it all about money. Digital tickets, scorebooks online, electronic yearbooks - yea it sucks for collectors but losing money talks. The generation z and beyond just won’t embrace a slow game and if they want to see it they can watch 1.5 innings on tv, which is all the focus they will have.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:24 PM
Doug Goodman

MLB hasn't cared about old school fans for a long time.

They don't care about younger fans either, so we can't really take it personally.

Doug

PS - the only witty nickname I could think of was "Fuck 'em" but that seemed so rude...
Old 03-01-2021, 06:38 AM
Bob Andrews

I'm another publications collector who is disappointed (but not surprised) at the demise of programs, yearbooks etc. Like the OP I have a run of Orioles publications going back to 1954. The announcement a few years back that they were discontinuing printed media guides really stung. My guide/yearbook collection means more to me than anything else I have. I recall phoning the team back in the 60s and 70s and getting a price list along with some fun 'junk' in the mail. Receiving my yearbooks and postcard set in the mail was a big deal for me.

The Orioles are not alone by any means. I also collected Houston Texans (now dead to me), University of Houston and NY Rangers publications and they have dropped printed guides and yearbooks. It's the way of the world I guess.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:37 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

You guys gotta get with the future! This is yet another thing which reinforces my notion that I no longer understand anything about the world we live in. Here's some highlights - link at the bottom.

In October 2020, Miami-based art collector Pablo Rodriguez-Fraile spent almost $67,000 on a 10-second video artwork that he could have watched for free online. Last week, he sold it for $6.6 million.

The video by digital artist Beeple, whose real name is Mike Winkelmann, was authenticated by blockchain, which serves as a digital signature to certify who owns it and that it is the original work.

It’s a new type of digital asset - known as a non-fungible token (NFT) - that has exploded in popularity during the pandemic as enthusiasts and investors scramble to spend enormous sums of money on items that only exist online.
Blockchain technology allows the items to be publicly authenticated as one-of-a-kind, unlike traditional online objects which can be endlessly reproduced.

“Non-fungible” refers to items that cannot be exchanged on a like-for-like basis, as each one is unique - in contrast to “fungible” assets like dollars, stocks or bars of gold.

Examples of NFTs range from digital artworks and sports cards to pieces of land in virtual environments or exclusive use of a cryptocurrency wallet name, akin to the scramble for domain names in the early days of the internet.

Each collectible has “a unique serial number with guaranteed scarcity and protected ownership guaranteed by blockchain”, the site says. “When you own #23/49 of a legendary LeBron James dunk, you’re the only person in the world who does.”

The biggest transaction to date was on Feb. 22, when a user paid $208,000 for a video of a LeBron James slam dunk.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...-idUKKCN2AT1HG
Old 03-02-2021, 03:30 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Hi guys,

I just got back from my first spring training game since COVID shut everything down last spring.

I'm an Orioles fan and collector that loves more than just cards. A big part of my collection are programs, media guides, schedules, postcards and photos.

Over the past few years, the Orioles PR dept has continued to embrace electronic media to the disappointment of many O's collectors. First they scrapped printed media guides, then magnet skeds and yearbooks.

Now, at the game today, I was told that no more programs will be printed, that I could down load them to my phone. The plan is to eliminate them during the regular season also. They are also planning to eliminate player postcards after printing them each year since 1954.

I have Orioles spring training & regular season programs back to 1954. Has anyone else heard of teams going completely electronic and killing that segment of the hobby. Ticket collectors have already experienced my pain.
I hear ya. I was at Kershaw's No hitter and the Kings Stanley cup win the week before that. I had the printed out fake tickets which I promptly shred. That coming from a kid who loved to get my programs signed on a Sunday at ballpark and still have my all ticket stubs as well from the 1970's. I also had one of the first SX-70 Polaroid cameras. I would take pictures of the players and they would watch them develop in front of their eyes.

Can you imagine June 4th 1971 no programs or ticket stubs, they are retiring numbers for Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella and Sandy Koufax. You're 10 years old and your grand pa tells you the wrinkled guy in a horse blanket jacket in the 100 degree heat you are sitting next to is "Casey Stengel". Then the old guy asks you your name before he signs your program and you say Chuck. He says "is it Charles, that's my name". Then he proceeds to sign your program To Charles from Charles Casey Stengel, from Casey Stengel. 3 times on my program.

I have all my signed programs when I was a kid but that one has been missing for 25 years.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:28 PM
Doug Goodman

All I know is that there are more pictures of my parents from their youth now than there will be of their great-grand-children in 80 years.

If you can figure out the analogy you get it.

If you can't then go buy a "1 of 1" video that's available on youtube.

Doug "old man shouting into the wind" Goodman
Old 03-03-2021, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
You guys gotta get with the future! This is yet another thing which reinforces my notion that I no longer understand anything about the world we live in. Here's some highlights - link at the bottom.

In October 2020, Miami-based art collector Pablo Rodriguez-Fraile spent almost $67,000 on a 10-second video artwork that he could have watched for free online. Last week, he sold it for $6.6 million.

The video by digital artist Beeple, whose real name is Mike Winkelmann, was authenticated by blockchain, which serves as a digital signature to certify who owns it and that it is the original work.

It’s a new type of digital asset - known as a non-fungible token (NFT) - that has exploded in popularity during the pandemic as enthusiasts and investors scramble to spend enormous sums of money on items that only exist online.
Blockchain technology allows the items to be publicly authenticated as one-of-a-kind, unlike traditional online objects which can be endlessly reproduced.

“Non-fungible” refers to items that cannot be exchanged on a like-for-like basis, as each one is unique - in contrast to “fungible” assets like dollars, stocks or bars of gold.

Examples of NFTs range from digital artworks and sports cards to pieces of land in virtual environments or exclusive use of a cryptocurrency wallet name, akin to the scramble for domain names in the early days of the internet.

Each collectible has “a unique serial number with guaranteed scarcity and protected ownership guaranteed by blockchain”, the site says. “When you own #23/49 of a legendary LeBron James dunk, you’re the only person in the world who does.”

The biggest transaction to date was on Feb. 22, when a user paid $208,000 for a video of a LeBron James slam dunk.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...-idUKKCN2AT1HG
Hi Scott,
Thanks for your look into the future of "collectibles".
I have to admit that I am one collector that will take a "hard pass" and will not be part of this journey, FWIW
Old 03-04-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post

Some NFTs make sense but I'm not on board with topshot long term. To me it's a big game of hot potato. I could see some limited "moments" retaining some value just based on the significance of the moment/rarity but most of the ones being traded now are just run of the mill highlights with many thousands being minted.

Re the OP, I'm a ticket collector and I'm frustrated looking for quite a few tickets. There are many key game tickets over the last decade which simply don't exist except sometimes in a generic TM form. It's annoying.

Last edited by mickeymantle; 03-04-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:14 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post
Some NFTs make sense but I'm not on board with topshot long term. To me it's a big game of hot potato. I could see some limited "moments" retaining some value just based on the significance of the moment/rarity but most of the ones being traded now are just run of the mill highlights with many thousands being minted.
I don't give a shit what anybody says, the whole concept is stupid.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 03-04-2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Top shot? NFTs? Blockchains?

First, I agree, but mainly because of how it’s being implemented. Second, there are good use cases. Third, I think they are exceptionally useful in many ways.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:48 AM
Ben North

Quote:
MLB hasn't cared about old school fans for a long time.

They don't care about younger fans either, so we can't really take it personally.

Doug

PS - the only witty nickname I could think of was "Fuck 'em" but that seemed so rude...
Baseball doesn't need to steal the logo from "Supreme". My watch has that logo on it, don't want it on my baseball stuff no matter how fitting it is.

The only World Series(2004) game I attended I have one of those print out tickets instead of a real ticket.

Last edited by bnorth; 03-05-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:14 AM
James M.

Frustrated, has been my go to word to describe how I feel as a baseball fan, I feel Baseball is doing a lot of damage to its current and future fanbase. Especially with the advent of what Bluejays are now doing, with a lack of Radio Broadcast, I feel bad for their fans.

I love Programs and filling out the scorecard, while trying to keep up with the game. It's like a time honored tradition that gets passed down from Father to Son, at least in my case. To get rid of that, strips away one more thing from the fan experience.

As as side note, if the MLB truly cared about the fan experience, they'd make games more affordable. It's impossible to take the Family to a game anymore. It's way too expensive. Tickets, Parking, Food, you're looking at a huge bill, especially if you're in one of the major metro areas. I know the Falcons have cut down on concession costs, with the NFL but them withstanding, it's quite ridiculous.

Yes, it's a business, and they need to make their money, but would it kill baseball teams to make things a little more affordable? Because at this rate, I don't think I'll be able to afford to take my children, in the future to games. Went a little off the rails at the end, with my rant, sorry about that!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:02 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Frustrated, has been my go to word to describe how I feel as a baseball fan, I feel Baseball is doing a lot of damage to its current and future fanbase. Especially with the advent of what Bluejays are now doing, with a lack of Radio Broadcast, I feel bad for their fans.

I love Programs and filling out the scorecard, while trying to keep up with the game. It's like a time honored tradition that gets passed down from Father to Son, at least in my case. To get rid of that, strips away one more thing from the fan experience.

As as side note, if the MLB truly cared about the fan experience, they'd make games more affordable. It's impossible to take the Family to a game anymore. It's way too expensive. Tickets, Parking, Food, you're looking at a huge bill, especially if you're in one of the major metro areas. I know the Falcons have cut down on concession costs, with the NFL but them withstanding, it's quite ridiculous.

Yes, it's a business, and they need to make their money, but would it kill baseball teams to make things a little more affordable? Because at this rate, I don't think I'll be able to afford to take my children, in the future to games. Went a little off the rails at the end, with my rant, sorry about that!
While the Orioles are driving me crazy with their decision to eliminate printed programs, I have to give them credit for their family friendly policies. Things will probably change with the COVID restrictions, but the last time fans were allowed at Camden Yards, familes could take advantage of the "Kids Cheer Free" program. When an adult bought an upper reserved seat, two kids 9 and under got in free. There were certain areas reserved for families and I think tickets were $20-25. Add to that the fact the Orioles allowed outside food into the stadium and parking could be had for $8, a family of 2 adults and 4 kids under 9 could see a game for $50-$60. That's pretty cheap considering you can't drive by some ballparks for less than that.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:19 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Seems like if they are already going to the trouble to produce a "digital" program (or yearbook or whatever other publication), they could also have a limited-time print-on-demand option which would cost them nothing more than paying the designer to produce a separate layout and formatting of the same content for the print version. If nobody buys it, fine, and the few who do will have a truly limited-edition collectible to treasure or trade down the line.

Next someone will tell me that they don't need a limited number of physical copies because the digital publications downloaded to your phone come with "blockchain." I'll just send 'em to Doug for my response.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:03 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Seems like if they are already going to the trouble to produce a "digital" program (or yearbook or whatever other publication), they could also have a limited-time print-on-demand option which would cost them nothing more than paying the designer to produce a separate layout and formatting of the same content for the print version. If nobody buys it, fine, and the few who do will have a truly limited-edition collectible to treasure or trade down the line.
I totally agree. I seems to me that putting a publication together is most of the work and getting them printed is the easy part, but I'm not an expert on printing.

For what it's worth, here's the response I received back from the Orioles. I would be more optimistic, if the Orioles hadn't already started the process of going digital before the pandemic. They eliminated printed media guides and yearbooks several years ago.

Hi Alan,

We contacted our Publications department regarding your feedback and they wanted to share this note with you.

Dear Mr. Strout,

First, thank you for your nearly 50 years of loyal support as an Orioles fan. Fans like you, who have supported the team for decades and help to preserve the rich history of Orioles Baseball through your own personal collections, make Birdland truly special.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns with us regarding the decision not to print the 2021 Spring Training edition of Orioles Magazine, and certainly understand the importance of tradition even as technology evolves and changes the media landscape. Please know that this was not a decision that was made lightly, and it was ultimately due to the unique circumstances we find ourselves in as a result of the ongoing pandemic.

As we gradually return to normal, Ed Smith Stadium is operating at 25 percent capacity as part of the Orioles’ Gameday Health & Safety policies. For this reason, we made the decision to make the 2021 Spring Training edition of Orioles Magazine available exclusively online so that fans who aren’t able to make it to Sarasota this year can still read up on their favorite Birds. The decision also allows us to limit touch points at the ballpark.

We understand the value of a physical program, especially from a historical standpoint for a collector such as yourself, and will certainly take your concerns into consideration in our publications decisions moving forward. We take great pride in the production of Orioles Magazine, and hope that at the very least you found the content in the digital magazine enjoyable.

Thank you once again for sharing your concerns and for your many years of loyal support.

Best,

Orioles Publication Team
Old 03-06-2021, 09:05 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

It would be nice if they printed a limited run of say 10,000 programs, available on their website only. That way the collectors and die hard fans can have them.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 03-06-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I totally agree. I seems to me that putting a publication together is most of the work and getting them printed is the easy part, but I'm not an expert on printing.

For what it's worth, here's the response I received back from the Orioles. I would be more optimistic, if the Orioles hadn't already started the process of going digital before the pandemic. They eliminated printed media guides and yearbooks several years ago.

Hi Alan,

We contacted our Publications department regarding your feedback and they wanted to share this note with you.

Dear Mr. Strout,

First, thank you for your nearly 50 years of loyal support as an Orioles fan. Fans like you, who have supported the team for decades and help to preserve the rich history of Orioles Baseball through your own personal collections, make Birdland truly special.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns with us regarding the decision not to print the 2021 Spring Training edition of Orioles Magazine, and certainly understand the importance of tradition even as technology evolves and changes the media landscape. Please know that this was not a decision that was made lightly, and it was ultimately due to the unique circumstances we find ourselves in as a result of the ongoing pandemic.

As we gradually return to normal, Ed Smith Stadium is operating at 25 percent capacity as part of the Orioles’ Gameday Health & Safety policies. For this reason, we made the decision to make the 2021 Spring Training edition of Orioles Magazine available exclusively online so that fans who aren’t able to make it to Sarasota this year can still read up on their favorite Birds. The decision also allows us to limit touch points at the ballpark.

We understand the value of a physical program, especially from a historical standpoint for a collector such as yourself, and will certainly take your concerns into consideration in our publications decisions moving forward. We take great pride in the production of Orioles Magazine, and hope that at the very least you found the content in the digital magazine enjoyable.

Thank you once again for sharing your concerns and for your many years of loyal support.

Best,

Orioles Publication Team
Not sure things will improve, but that's a thoughtful response.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:

Thanks, Doug, I needed that.

To me, digital means inconsequential, disposable. I read the newspaper digitally now. Love the convenience for taking it into the crapper with me, but that's about all it is good for.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-09-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:32 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

And I would add what Adam said that "digital only" presumes the content is disposable to all users and therefore should not be committed to print, which would only consume resources and landfill space for something that will ultimately be trashed.

In other words, while that may describe the mindset of many modern/younger fans for whom the experience and personal memories are the main takeaway, it completely disregards the "collectors" to whom ballpark vendors have long tailored their offerings. I'm going to go out on a limb though and say that no major league club is going to just allow a 3rd-party vendor to start printing up their own programs and publications for these games to fill the void that the teams themselves are leaving.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:39 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb though and say that no major league club is going to just allow a 3rd-party vendor to start printing up their own programs and publications for these games to fill the void that the teams themselves are leaving.
Ironically, from 1992 until 2010, Orioles fans had a third party program option.

Sold outside the ballpark and via subscription, the format went through several face lifts during that span. I have 192 out of the 193 issues, missing only the first one.

Originally called Game Day, the name was changed to Outside Pitch and went from B&W to color shortly after it's start.

1992 Gameday (Vol 1 No 2) - Copy.jpg 1993 Gameday (Vol 2 No 4) - Copy.JPG

1994 Outside Pitch (Vol 3 No 4) - Copy.jpg 2009 Outside Pitch (Vol 18 No 6) - Copy.JPG
Old 03-09-2021, 03:44 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Ironically, from 1992 until 2010, Orioles fans had a third party program option.
Huh. Shows what I know.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:55 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
While the Orioles are driving me crazy with their decision to eliminate printed programs, I have to give them credit for their family friendly policies. Things will probably change with the COVID restrictions, but the last time fans were allowed at Camden Yards, familes could take advantage of the "Kids Cheer Free" program. When an adult bought an upper reserved seat, two kids 9 and under got in free. There were certain areas reserved for families and I think tickets were $20-25. Add to that the fact the Orioles allowed outside food into the stadium and parking could be had for $8, a family of 2 adults and 4 kids under 9 could see a game for $50-$60. That's pretty cheap considering you can't drive by some ballparks for less than that.
The Reds have some very fan friendly pricing for families, including free tickets for kids who are part of the fan club, and opportunities for fan club kids to get on the field, and to meet players. We paid $35 two years ago to join the fanclub for a youth jersey, backpack, and bobblehead. Don't live in Cincinnati so we couldn't access the tickets. In addition, they have family ticket packages of 4 that come with drinks and hot dogs for less than $50.

Better than anything the Mariners offer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo