NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-05-2010, 12:05 PM
jerry

Default 58 topps hank arron question

Picked this card up a few months ago at a card show. It appears to be a real 58 topps but the backround on the card is blue. Every other 58 aaron ive seen has a green background. Is this a fake or has anyone else seen it with a blue background? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Steve Birmingham

Neat card. It's missing the yellow ink. The team name and the background of the team logo should be yellow, and Missing it from the background leaves just blue. Probably not faded either as the red is among the first to fade.

Next show check to see if the dealer has any more from the same batch.

Steve B
Old 12-06-2010, 11:01 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Thanks for the answer Steve B. That makes sense. I have never seen one of these and was curious as well.

And I thought it was the rare Boise State version
Old 12-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Johnny S

Nice card, if it was a T206 it would be worth 10g's !
Old 12-06-2010, 02:31 PM
jerry

Thank for the info im still confused on this card. Dealer had other 58s but they were all the normal print. If anyone else has any info or has seen this card id enjoy hearing from you.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Johnny S

I had some commons that had red and orange backs but that's all I have seen.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Al Richter

Default Blue versus Green

I have not seen the 58 Aaron like that, but do have a 66 Mays in which the banner colors on the front are blue as opposed to the regular green, and the player and team name are white rather than the normal yellow. At first I thought it was light/sun fading, but agree with Steve B that in my case, and maybe yours, the yellow ink ran low or out on a run. But,if so, other cards with similar defects from that sheet should exist.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Steve Birmingham

It doesn't even have to be the ink running low or out. Very occasionally the press will fail to grab a sheet from the feeder. The next sheet pushes it forward and both sheets get fed in, the one on the bottom missing that color ink on all or part of it.

Or more commonly, there's a couple thousand sheets in the feeder, and the operator stops with a few to go. The unprinted sheets are used on the next skid of new sheets as a protector between the sheets and the wood of the skid. Later on, one gets picked up and cut along with the regular sheets.

Or..

The first few sheets through the press are what's called make ready sheets. They can be anything from nearly complete sheets to misprinted sheets to blank paper. There's usually only 1 or two of these to make sure the ink is printing evenly. Eventually the operator needs to use a few actual sheets to be sure of the registration. The last one of these is usually deliberately damaged usually by tearing off a corner. If they're not all used, the sheet sometimes gets into the printed pile, and eventually cut and packed.

Or ..
A piece of something usually paper gets into the press along with the sheet and gets printed, blocking ink to the sheet.

I've seen all of those happen, they all got caught during QC/handling at the shop I worked for. The first three are somewhat typical, the first means some maintainance on the press is needed. The last should cause a bit of trouble for the operator. Even if you're in a hurry and sort of skipping lunch by eating at the press there's no excuse for the bag that held your sub getting into the press. (If we printed cards that one would have gone home with me for sure)

Steve B
Old 12-08-2010, 02:29 PM
jerry

Thanks for the info steve. Makes sence just wonder if there are any others like it out there.

Last edited by mrmantlecollector; 12-08-2010 at 02:30 PM.