NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-09-2016, 09:25 PM
Bry@n

Default Glass Plate Negative Questions

I have never owned a glass plate negative and I have a few questions for those who collect them:

1) How do you display them/keep them protected?

2) Can you have the image printed without damaging the negative?

Muchas gracias.

Last edited by Jobu; 05-09-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:14 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I store mine several ways. Due to space restrictions I keep some in the original boxes. Others that were purchased separately I keep wrapped in paper surrounded by bubble wrap or sheet foam. You certainly can print them. There are several ways to do that.

1. In a darkroom making a contact print by laying the negative on a sheet of photo paper, exposing and developing.

2. Using a pro photo scanner. A photo scanner has glass on the base and inn the cover allowing the scan light to go through the negative to be exposed. Many consumer scanners do have the ability to scan negatives and transparencies (slides) when you remove a mask from the cover, however most of them are set up for 35mm film only and not larger format.

There are photo labs that will print them for you. They would scan them as most do not have the negative holders to print them in a darkroom.

Here is one that I scanned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg levis-calnanredo-100013.jpg (25.5 KB, 182 views)

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 05-10-2016, 12:28 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Are glass plate negatives from the prewar era unique? That is, if you own the glass plate negative for an image, is that the only one there is? Or is it like Type I photos where there could be multiple for the same image?
Old 05-10-2016, 01:15 PM
Bry@n

Thanks Michael, that is helpful. In addition to Gary's questions, I also wonder how expensive it is to have a professional print made (a normal size, nothing 3' x 4').
Old 05-10-2016, 06:42 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Are glass plate negatives from the prewar era unique? That is, if you own the glass plate negative for an image, is that the only one there is? Or is it like Type I photos where there could be multiple for the same image?

For the most part they would be unique. Exceptions might be when the photographer took more then one shot of the same scene (though there would likely be slight differences in the poses), or in the case of duplicate negatives. (A photo of a photo).

A lot of the glass "slides" that we see offered are usually photo of a photo types mocked up for whatever slide show they were being used for.

I use an Epson V700 scanner to scan negs as large as 8x10.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Thanks Michael, that is helpful. In addition to Gary's questions, I also wonder how expensive it is to have a professional print made (a normal size, nothing 3' x 4').

Used to be most print shops would not touch glass negs for fear of damaging them. Now with digital technology it should be fairly easy to find somebody to do it fairly cheaply.

Basically once you have a high quality .jpg scan (I like saving at about 600-750 dpi), you can have prints made up almost anywhere. There are places on-line you can order large prints and even posters inexpensively if you provide them with the .jpg file.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:14 PM
Joe Gonsowski

There was some good discussion on caring for negatives a little over a year ago here (see post #41).

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=200961
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers