NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Default Adam Greenberg gets another chance slightly O/T

For those of you unfamiliar...Adam Greenberg made it to the majors seven years ago and made one plate appearance for the Cubs against the Marlins. He came to the plate in the 9th inning in a late season game and was then struck in the head by a fast ball ending his dreams...concussion, blurred vision, pain all kept him out of baseball...

Earlier this year an amateur filmmaker started a social media campaign to get him an official major league at-bat (hbp did not count as an at-bat).

Yesterday, the Marlins announced that they would give him one major league at-bat on Oct. 2nd. They got permission from MLB, the MLBPA, and the Comish. office to make this happen.

Moonlight Graham will be smiling down on the MLB on Oct. 2nd.

Joshua
Old 09-27-2012, 05:51 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Ton of debate over this over on ESPN.....I get how many feel this is merely a publicity stunt...TONS of others have never reached the majors and would love the opportunity....what makes this kid so special?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That's a cool story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:21 PM

/

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:26 PM

I don't think anyone is treating this guy as a special person and I don't understand the arguments at all. He is not someone being given a gift of making it to the pros. He made it to the Major Leagues himself. No one did him any favors. He is getting a second chance because of a fateful incident beyond his control that effectively ended his career. Guys who didn't make it to the majors don't deserve a chance like this.

Edited to add they needed permission because MLB does not allow one day contracts. If he were to sign with the team and be placed on the roster someone would need to be sent down. In this case they have permission to sign him to a one day contract and keep their 40 man roster.

Last edited by packs; 09-27-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:32 PM

In the unusual story department, I have a personalized autographed ball from Greenberg (a well-used minor league ball). One of his friends in the minors (David Aardsma) once dated the daughter of my college roommate, who knew I collected baseball cards and memorabilia, especially of Jewish players. One day the ball showed up in the mail unannounced...a neat gift.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Jason Wells

I think it's a great story.And it will be a great movie if he gets a base hit.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Ton of debate over this over on ESPN.....I get how many feel this is merely a publicity stunt...TONS of others have never reached the majors and would love the opportunity....what makes this kid so special?
He got hit in the head his first major league at bat and never had a second chance. That's incredibly tragic.

I don't think any other former player can say this situation applies to them. Most players, even if they're terrible, at least get a decent shot at proving themselves.

GO MARLINS!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post

He got hit in the head with a 95MPH fastball on the first pitch of his first MLB apperance by a Florida Marlin.

If you think that it doesn't make him special, you may need to recheck the history books. He's the only one to ever have his MLB career end on the first pitch of it.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark evans View Post
In the unusual story department, I have a personalized autographed ball from Greenberg (a well-used minor league ball). One of his friends in the minors (David Aardsma) once dated the daughter of my college roommate, who knew I collected baseball cards and memorabilia, especially of Jewish players. One day the ball showed up in the mail unannounced...a neat gift.
Now that's a cool thing to have happen.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 09-27-2012, 07:21 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I

Edited to add they needed permission because MLB does not allow one day contracts.
Adam stated he will be donating his 1 day salary (about $3000.) to charity.
Its easy to root for this kid.
By the way, it looks like he'll be facing R.A. Dickey on the 2nd.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:27 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Adam stated he will be donating his 1 day salary (about $3000.) to charity.
Its easy to root for this kid.
By the way, it looks like he'll be facing R.A. Dickey on the 2nd.
Yeah, that's all he needs, is for Dickey to lose one of those knuckleballs on him...

All joking aside. I wish the guy luck.. It's a great story..

Last edited by novakjr; 09-27-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfern023 View Post
He got hit in the head with a 95MPH fastball on the first pitch of his first MLB apperance by a Florida Marlin.

If you think that it doesn't make him special, you may need to recheck the history books. He's the only one to ever have his MLB career end on the first pitch of it.
I think it is a great story too, he earned his trip to the majors, but had nothing to do with how it ended.

I do doubt that only MLB player to have his career end after one pitch "fact" I read a few times. There have been 38 players who have only pinch hit in their career and didn't reach base or strike out, but they went 0-for-1 in their only game. If you check baseball-reference, only one of those players (Rob Sasser) was recent enough to check the pitch-by-pitch during his AB and he saw 5 pitches. I have a hard time believing none of the 37 others only saw one pitch. I checked two newspaper accounts for each of the four Pirates players that are among this group and not one referenced a pitch count in any way so I doubt it is a known fact, likely just misstated.

He is(won't be for long) definitely the only one to have his career ended by a hit by pitch on the only pitch he saw, but that isn't what some of the articles were saying.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 09-27-2012, 09:35 PM
N.ate A.dams

Fantastic story. I've been a Cubs fan my whole life, and always travel to Miami to watch the Cubs against the Marlins. I was at this game, and was anxiously anticipating watching Greenberg play, as I had been following him in the minors. I was just out of high school, and actually attending University of Miami, and was with my family. My dad, brother and I, were so thrilled for him getting his first at-bat, and were remarking "imagine what he's feeling right now, his dream as a little kid is coming true right now". My dad remarked further - saying "He's probably crappin' his pants. Cmon Adam!"

First pitch...

I followed him for a few years here and there, still remembering that gut-wrenching moment vividly from my point of view on the 3rd base side, about 10 rows up.

I'm thrilled for Adam, because he had already proven he was good enough to make it to a major-league club, 7 years younger than he is now.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

To answer an earlier question...

He had to get permission from the Comish and MLB because of the injury. I think he has to sign a waiver as well because of the danger posed. Granted, he has come a long way back but MLB is nervous about putting a guy out there who has had vision problems, migraines, post-concussion syndrome, etc.

MLBPA had to give him permission because of the roster spot. This was tough but because the Comish and MLB cleared him and allowed him to play, he will not take anyone's roster spot (causing that player to be sent down, lose money, lose mlb service, etc.).

If you read or see interviews with Greenberg, he is one of the good guys. He really never wanted this and when the movement started to snowball, he was shocked and embarrassed and flattered but did not think he had a shot at all.

I do not care if it is a publicity stunt. It is the right thing to do and should be a great moment for baseball.

Joshua
Old 09-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't think anyone is treating this guy as a special person and I don't understand the arguments at all. He is not someone being given a gift of making it to the pros. He made it to the Major Leagues himself. No one did him any favors. He is getting a second chance because of a fateful incident beyond his control that effectively ended his career. Guys who didn't make it to the majors don't deserve a chance like this.

Edited to add they needed permission because MLB does not allow one day contracts. If he were to sign with the team and be placed on the roster someone would need to be sent down. In this case they have permission to sign him to a one day contract and keep their 40 man roster.
Just because he made it up their 7 YEARS AGO does not mean he deserves to be up in the show now. He hasn't played at a high level of baseball in years, and he got one at bat in the WBC qualifiers, he wasn't even on a good team. He is nowhere near as skilled as he was, what makes him get a shot? If he did not have that plate appearance, he would not have gotten this opportunity. He took an at bat away from someone who deserves it. He does not deserve it because he does not have the skills, that's why he is playing semi-pro baseball and not on a major or minor league roster. They are doing this for PR and a 'feel good' story.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
If you read or see interviews with Greenberg, he is one of the good guys. He really never wanted this and when the movement started to snowball, he was shocked and embarrassed and flattered but did not think he had a shot at all.Joshua
So then why did he accept this offer, if he felt like he didn't deserve it (and he doesn't) he should have turned this down. He would have gotten way more respect.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:38 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Considering the season will be pretty much over for both teams, what are the odds that he's given a meatball?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
So then why did he accept this offer, if he felt like he didn't deserve it (and he doesn't) he should have turned this down. He would have gotten way more respect.
Sometimes in life you do the right thing, that is why. How many of us kids aspired to the Bigs and made it? He has my respect.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Sometimes in life you do the right thing, that is why. How many of us kids aspired to the Bigs and made it? He has my respect.
But he doesn't deserve it. Yeah it sucks that he never got an at bat, but he made it to the Bis. It's just a PR move. Do I deserve an at-bat? Can I got shoot a free-throw? Can I go attempt to return a kick-off (or watch it sail through the end zone)? Hell no! Why? Because I don't deserve to. He doesn't either, because he isn't good enough, that's why.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
But he doesn't deserve it. Yeah it sucks that he never got an at bat, but he made it to the Bis. It's just a PR move. Do I deserve an at-bat? Can I got shoot a free-throw? Can I go attempt to return a kick-off (or watch it sail through the end zone)? Hell no! Why? Because I don't deserve to. He doesn't either, because he isn't good enough, that's why.
Did you ever make it to the Bigs and then get beaned on the first pitch and your career in the Bigs was over? I don't know how old you are but I suspect at some point in life you will see the good in this type of deed. Is it a PR move? Maybe....but regardless it's still a good thing, imo. Life shouldn't always be so cut and dry. There are circumstances when just doing the good thing, instead of the technically correct thing, is better. It just is.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:59 AM

It will be interesting to see how they pitch to him but I'm suspecting the catcher will whisper to him "fastball middle, middle".

Rob M.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Barry Sloate

It's the end of the season and the rosters are expanded. I'm sure there have been many other instances of marginal players given a game, or an at bat, or an inning in relief, in the last week of the season. Nobody is harmed by this and it's a nice gesture to a kid who got a terrible break. And who is to say he won't surprise everybody and get a hit?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
He doesn't deserve it? He's been battling it out in the minors and independent leagues for 7 years to try to make it back to the big leagues for one more shot.

I think he earned 1 at bat.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Did you ever make it to the Bigs and then get beaned on the first pitch and your career in the Bigs was over? I don't know how old you are but I suspect at some point in life you will see the good in this type of deed. Is it a PR move? Maybe....but regardless it's still a good thing, imo. Life shouldn't always be so cut and dry. There are circumstances when just doing the good thing, instead of the technically correct thing, is better. It just is.
So what he got beaned, yeah that sucks, but he was still playing in the minors for a while, but was not good enough to make it back to the majors, plain and simple. Yes, it's a good jesture and great feel good story, but is it deserved? No. I do see this as a good deed, but I view it as insulting towards him. I would be embarassed. They feel bad for him, so this happened. He still made it to the show, he accomplished his dream, whether he didn't get an official at-bat, he got a plate appearance. He got to sit in the dugout, he got to be on that field for the first time as a player. Yeah it sucks how it turned out, but he made it, and you can never take that away from him, regardless of this pathetic 'at-bat' he's getting. What if he walks, then he still doesn't have an at bat, are they going to keep him around.

If I had that happen to me, I would be so proud of myself, so happy that I finally received that call. The one profession I've known since I was 5 years old, finally comes into fruition. Doesn't matter how it ends, because you made it.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
He doesn't deserve it? He's been battling it out in the minors and independent leagues for 7 years to try to make it back to the big leagues for one more shot.

I think he earned 1 at bat.
Yeah, so have 100,000 other kids, many of whom played in a game or two. You want to give them a second shot as well? There are plenty of players with less than 10 at-bats in their careers. Let's just make a team full of the guys who weren't good enough.

I'm not judging his character to giving it his all, I'm just saying he did not earn this at bat.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 09-28-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Yeah, so have 100,000 other kids, many of whom played in a game or two. You want to give them a second shot as well? There are plenty of players with less than 10 at-bats in their careers. Let's just make a team full of the guys who weren't good enough.

I'm not judging his character to giving it his all, I'm just saying he did not earn this at bat.
Minnie Minoso says hello.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Rob Miller

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't turn down a chance to have a major league at bat. Jason Bay doesn't deserve the salary he is getting but he is getting it. Should he give all that money back?

Not everyone can have this type of moment, so because no one else that has struggled for 7 years in the minors/independent leagues is getting it, he shouldn't either? Not sure why you are so adamantly against this...
Old 09-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robextend View Post
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't turn down a chance to have a major league at bat. Jason Bay doesn't deserve the salary he is getting but he is getting it. Should he give all that money back?

Not everyone can have this type of moment, so because no one else that has struggled for 7 years in the minors/independent leagues is getting it, he shouldn't either? Not sure why you are so adamantly against this...
Oh course no one would turn it down, that's not the point. The point is whether he deserves it or not. And no, he doesn't because he hasn't done anything since then to prove that he is of a major league calbier player. So because he had a tough break, and you feel sorry for him, give him an at bat!? Well shit, I almost played pro ball until my shoulder blew out, put me in there for an at bat, but they aren't because I don't deserve one. Bay may not deserve it now, but then when he signed he did.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 09-28-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:27 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

From the PR side, I see it as a great 'feel good' jesture.

From the player's side - I would politely thank the Marlins for the gesture, but decline the offer. No one that has worked that hard to comeback should accept a last ditch token offer. His story sucks, but he did make it once. He worked hard and made it. No gifts or tokens.

He loves the game and wanted another chance. I'm shocked he is taking this offer. 'Everybody feel sorry for me' society at it's best.

I will watch and root for him on 10/2. I do feel sorry for what happened 7 years ago. I just don't think 'its the right thing to do'.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1216 View Post
From the PR side, I see it as a great 'feel good' jesture.

From the player's side - I would politely thank the Marlins for the gesture, but decline the offer. No one that has worked that hard to comeback should accept a last ditch token offer. His story sucks, but he did make it once. He worked hard and made it. No gifts or tokens.

He loves the game and wanted another chance. I'm shocked he is taking this offer. 'Everybody feel sorry for me' society at it's best.

I will watch and root for him on 10/2. I do feel sorry for what happened 7 years ago. I just don't think 'its the right thing to do'.
+1, well said
Old 09-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Did you 2 guys boo at the end of Rudy?

Damn...it's not just for that kid, it's for his family and for the Marlins too.

He's not just taking...there's also the giving.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Minnie Minoso says hello.
Yeah - that's the first thing I thought of when I heard the story.

Greenberg's situation is strikingly unique. In sum I think he very much "deserves" the at-bat.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

You guys saying he doesn't deserve it do realize that all of baseball is a publicity thing don't you? Baseball history is full of guys who were either publicity stunts or had other stuff that made them more interesting to a team.
Eddie Gadel -Pure publicity stunt.
Minnie Minoso- Did get a hit in 8 ab in 1976, and was good enough still to be considered for a minor league appearance when over 60.

Pete Gray - WWII replacement, he might have gotten a brief run, but not a whole season. He was good enough, and the Browns needed the attendance a good story would bring.

Curtis Pride- Deaf, and a lifetime 250 hitter. He was up and down for 11 years. Talented for sure, but would he have played so long or gotten a chance without the nice story?

Lou Brissie- Certainly good enough before the leg, marginal once he actually got the the big leagues. I can't imagine him staying in the bigs after his two good years without being good PR.

Jim Abbott - Incredibly talented, but how many players get directly into the majors? Would that have happened for a guy with similar talent but no PR value?

And more recently guys have left the big leagues because of PR after excellent careers. Barry Bonds, Palmero,
These days a player with bad PR will have trouble staying on a team unless he's incredible.

There are even players who did very well but only got ANY chance at all because of connections. Mike Piazza, drafted last as a favor to A childhood friend of Lasorda. And that despite great talent and what would be considered amazing advantages like personal coaching by Ted Williams. He did pretty well.

Plus he's not "taking the spot of someone more deserving" or getting a second chance that's undeserved. He's getting one at bat.

Steve B
Old 09-28-2012, 12:56 PM
J@RR0D

This makes me happy. I'm not going to get into whether he deserves it or not, but I'm glad it's happening.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Dave

Wow, after all the things baseball has done to crap on itself in the last couple decades, and people are actually upset about THIS!

The Eddie Gaedel stunt must have caused people to jump off bridges when they first read about it.

I'll root for the guy, whether he gets a hit or not. It doesn't hurt anybody.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:26 PM

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

He should bunt. They'd never expect it.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:04 PM

I don't understand the "he doesn't deserve it crowd" who compare themselves to Greenberg. You never made it to the Major Leagues. Neither did any of the players who played in the minors and didn't get an at bat. But Adam Greenberg DID make it to the Major Leagues.

If you have the point of view some people have that this guy doesn't deserve an at bat, you're really not getting it. This was an incredibly nice thing for Major League Baseball to do. It was an even nicer thing for the Marlins to do. All this why not me, why not this guy talk is the total opposite of all the feelings and intentions of the people who made this happen.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

The people who scream he did not deserve it must never have had a dream dashed or an unfortunate circumstance occur. Never experienced reaching the pinnacle of their career only to have a freak accident take you out of it. They must have never striven for something so great and touching that experience for the briefest of moments only to realize that it is now just out of their reach forever. They must have never experienced a loss so great as to change their lives completely. They must boo the "Make a Wish" kids who get to meet idols or have experiences that they did not earn. They must hate the people who make a difference for others.

They must just settle for their lives, dream small dreams, and be content to never try to improve their lot in life. I feel sorry for these people.

I applaud Adam for taking one more shot. He is again putting himself in front of a HUGE audience and will most likely FAIL. Yep. Even the best major league hitters fail two thirds of the time. He is well aware of this. Do not think he is not. How often do you put yourself out there time and again knowing that you will probably fail in front of millions? He wants to realize a dream and the Marlins will make that happen. How many people in their lives get this chance. Not many. Not enough. Good for him and great for the Marlins.

The more I thought about this today, the better I feel about MLB making this happen. So, to those that say this is a publicity stunt I say NO. It is a human nature stunt and I am glad to see that MLB is finally siding a bit on the human side. Shouldn't you?

Joshua
Old 09-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

It's a nice gesture, I can't imagine any negative reaction here.

I was reading his story and incredibly, while playing for an unaffiliated professional team, he batted against the guy who beaned him.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:46 PM
J@son Du.nc@n

coming from an ex-pitcher. If I were in the mound.........I would bean him. J/K I would have to put one in high and tight just to let him know.

Jason
Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

I will say again that I will root for him on 10/2. It is a great story. He got the short end of the stick 7 years ago - no doubt. I'm all about good stories. Hope it's a 700ft HR and makes the record books with a big *.

But if I put myself in his shoes - I wouldn't do it. I don't blame MLB, the Marlins etc. It is a 'feel good' PR move. If this happened to me (working the past 7 years to come back etc) - only to be given a special exemption - I would say no. He earned his place, had a tough break, fought back, but didn't make it. Now he's given a token AB. Nice gesture, but....

Again, I will root for him. I remember the day this first happened. It made me sick. I just can't imagine taking MLB up on this offer of a one time AB. Knowing you have no place in that dugout or on that roster. Just say 'no thanks' and move on. I would respect that more.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:41 PM

No place in the Marlins dugout?
Old 09-30-2012, 11:02 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Go Adam

My son plays in the same aau program that Adam played in so we have been following and rooting for Adam for many years. I am pleased that he will get this shot but am disappointed it took this long and that it has to be a "special situation".

However what nobody has mentioned in this thread is Greenberg was hit on purpose by the Marlins pitcher de Los santos. Greenberg got called up from double a (not triple a) because of some issues the cubs were having with one of de Los santos countrymen. They sent down this countryman of de Los santos and he threw a message pitch to Greenberg in response. He did not plan on ending his career but he did throw at his head on purpose.

The marlins have some obligation here since it was there guy who threw the pitch. And also in case you didn't know, de Los santos never threw another pitch as a marlin. They knew what he did and shipped him out.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:56 PM

Not disputing that he threw at him but De Los Santos pitched another month for the Marlins before they released him. When he hit Greenberg his ERA was 1.35, ten appearances later it stood at 6.14. Greenberg also came up when Corey Patterson and Jason Dubois were sent down, both struggling outfielders, neither from the D.R.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 09-30-2012, 07:38 PM
N.ate A.dams

On the topic of touching stories, here is one that some of you may have seen about Ben Petrick.

Here is ESPN's brief write-up:

A five-tool player, Petrick was projected as the Colorado Rockies' catcher for the next decade, a future All-Star and possibly a Hall of Famer. Five years later Ben Petrick was out of baseball.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8421632

Last edited by npa589; 09-30-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Of course he strikes out...but was great to see the AB even tho IMO he didn't deserve it. So in his entire major league career, he never hit the ball regardless of in play or not, and now goes down in history as a player with on at bat and to strikeout in that only at bat...was it really worth it?

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 10-02-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Marc S.

Quote:
Of course he strikes out...but was great to see the AB even tho IMO he didn't deserve it. So in his entire major league career, he never hit the ball regardless of in play or not, and now goes down in history as a player with on at bat and to strikeout in that only at bat...was it really worth it?

He'll get his own Topps baseball card in 2013 [announced by Topps on twitter this evening] -- so probably worth it.

His at bat may have only lasted 33 seconds, but I guarantee that it will be the longest half minute of his life...
Old 10-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
He'll get his own Topps baseball card in 2013 [announced by Topps on twitter this evening] -- so probably worth it.

His at bat may have only lasted 33 seconds, but I guarantee that it will be the longest half minute of his life...
Hey already has plenty of cards. Certified autos, etc