NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-04-2010, 06:54 PM

Default Anyone see this 1916 Tournament of Roses FB Poster on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:AAQ:US:1123
26.5" x 21.5".
Did anyone see this go off? I saw it day before it closed and sent an excited email enquiring if they guaranteed money back if it wasn't real...along with a slew of detailed questions....never heard a thing back...So I passed...not hearing back is a sign of something...Of course not hearing back is never sufficient because you never really know for sure what went down...and naturally it leaves you uneasy and wondering...could it have been real?...At least I passed with inconclusive evidence...

I saw one once that looked exactly like the one in the listing...that was so real looking I didn't take my friends word it was a repo and got out a magnifying glass..I could see the tears that looked so real to the naked eye were actually photographic, that is the whole poster was a photographic reproduction of one that had tears. It's been a while since I saw it but it seems like the tears in the repro were down lower...but maybe not...what'd I tell ya about uneasy...maybe this maybe that...all they had to do was email me back....

If it was/is real it's worth a ton of dough..if it's a fake it would be worth about $163.49...I have the 1920 and 1918 posters.. the 1918 is trimmed in an odd way...but should still look good once I frame and mat it.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:21 PM

Default Hey Carlton

I was the winning bidder on this poster. The seller had listed it a couple of weeks ago at 199.99, with no takers. I had considered bidding at that point, but in my conversations with the seller, they seems reluctant to deal with a return, so I passed. When they relisted it at a cheaper price, I decided to take a shot. I am hoping it is legit, but am not entirely confident. This one appears to be pencil? signed in the corner with a name and the year '17, and I am hoping I can track down the students name to a alumni list for either brown or washington state. Do you recall if the other one you saw had the same pencil notation? For curiosity, what type of paperstock is your shield shaped rose bowl poster? I will let you know what I think when I receive it. I am hoping the brown lines on the middle left side, are water marks, and not photographic tears

Last edited by vintagesportflips; 02-04-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:58 PM

I saw it the first go around and asked the seller if they Guaranteed it and they seemed to basically say no so I passed. She also insisted it was 1912 when it says 1916 right on the front of it.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:06 PM

Default Nice p/u

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjavic View Post
I was the winning bidder on this poster. The seller had listed it a couple of weeks ago at 199.99, with no takers. I had considered bidding at that point, but in my conversations with the seller, they seems reluctant to deal with a return, so I passed. When they relisted it at a cheaper price, I decided to take a shot. I am hoping it is legit, but am not entirely confident. This one appears to be pencil? signed in the corner with a name and the year '17, and I am hoping I can track down the students name to a alumni list for either brown or washington state. Do you recall if the other one you saw had the same pencil notation? For curiosity, what type of paperstock is your shield shaped rose bowl poster? I will let you know what I think when I receive it. I am hoping the brown lines on the middle left side, are water marks, and not photographic tears
6 billion plus people on the planet and three of the ones most interested in that poster are right here....Great to hear it stayed in the net54 community Congrats!...for what you gave you're fine if it's not real...and we'll have a parade for you if it is real....My 1918 is signed Traviso Winters, it's on pretty sturdy card stock, see photo...It is actually an excursion poster for the Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad, who I'd never heard of till looking it up just now...And that brings up some interesting questions about these tournament of Roses posters...like what entities issued them, where were they posted...The Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad intended to increase ticket sales by posting this somewhere....I got found it in the now defunct Marin City Flea about 3 miles from the Golden Gate bridge

My 1920 Harvard vs U. Oregon is not an excursion poster. As I recall I got it from an antiques dealer right near or on Harvard Square that dealt mostly in furniture...so perhaps it hung right there in Cambridge....BUT....it was printed in L.A. by Vitachrome Co....how'd it end up in Cambridge?...

1918 Mare Island vs Camp Lewis 30" tall x 20" wide
1920 Harvard vs U. Oregon 26" tall x 183/4" wide
__________________________________________________ ___________

Old 02-12-2010, 09:40 PM

Default Rose Bowl Poster

Thanks for those photos Carlton. That 1920 poster is fabulous, I have seen your other one in other posts, but don't recall seeing the '20. I love the artwork on both of yours, especially the period helmets, etc.

As to mine, cancel the Parade plans .
Came in the mail today, and didn't take 3 seconds once I did the unwrapping of bubblewrap to realize it was a repro. It is probably the same type of photographic repro that you saw before, as I think you were right that there are photographs of tears in the original. This one was so easy to spot because of the very modern inexpensive frame it was in. The back of it doesn't look any different than a piece of posterboard you could by today in Michaels. If it was in a period frame, it would be very tough to tell it was bogus, but not tough at all in the newer frame, that actually had no glass minus a few shards that the seller never removed when at some point in the past the glass broke.

Anyway it was worth a gamble. I haven't been to Atlantic City in a while and love the roulette tables, so I don't mind taking the occassional ebay gamble.