NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Travis Wise

Default Need info on a photo...

During the National in Baltimore last year my fiance wanted to buy me something. So, she took $60 and came back with the photo below. I love it, but know nothing about it.

Can anyone shed some light on this one? Approximate date, why that date, and anything else....

Do all the guys looks caucasian or do some look darker skinned?

Travis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1800s cabinet copy.jpg (71.6 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by tlwise12; 04-24-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:44 AM
J0n Fu.ld

Now that is a great fiance! Number of workman gloves, and number of what appear to be string handled bats. Workman gloves were worn by a number of players on both hands. I do not see in my opinion a darker skin player, I think the gentleman is wearing two workman gloves, but it could be, question as to whether he is wearing workman gloves or not. Dating is interesting and I am curious to hear others thoughts. Looks to be a cabinet photo and not a cdv correct? Given the amount of equipment and type and relatively modern proportioned shape of bats, and string, workman, etc., I would date c.1885-1890. Can you make out what appears to be a vertical dedication above a particular player? Might be a player name. if a dedication to someone, Perhaps he married the person to whom it is dedicated, might get the name of the player from wedding records, though all of this is likely a long shot in many ways, including that the photo won her over. would be curious to see an image of the back, does the back state who the maker is and/or any other information.

Last edited by BigJJ; 04-25-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:03 AM
Graig Kreindler

VERY cool shot, Travis. Don't know if it helps much, but here's the image after some Photoshop play.

Good luck!

Graig

Old 04-25-2013, 11:44 AM

Late 1880s-90s. The dark colored mount backing in particular gives that period, supported by the uniforms and equipment. The dark high top shoes and ring bats were popular in that era. In the 1860s-70s they typically wore white shoes-- so I always look at the shoes in a photo. The catchers mask was invented in the 1870s, but you won't don't seem them in photos much until the 1880s. The catchers mask alone shoes it's not an 1860s photo.

It's an albumen photo, meaning the paper photograph was made by the albumen process-- the popular type of the day. Old Judge and Old Judge Cabinets are album photos. It could be a cabinet card, but that depends on the size.

They all look white to me.

It was a good buy at $60. I would expect for it to be sale for more.

Last edited by drc; 04-25-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Travis Wise

Default Thanks!

Yea she's pretty great!

Personally, I was thinking the late 1800s. Thanks for the photoshop work as it really seems to bring it to life. At first, I thought the individual with writing above his head may have been colored, but I'm not so sure anymore.

On the back seems to be a list of men next to their "better halfs," which is pretty fitting as mine bought this. Also on the back, thre appears to be the date '90. As for the size, it is approximately the size of a n173 but long ways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.3 KB, 177 views)
Old 04-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Travis Wise

Default Another photo...

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would add on to this one. I also purchased this at the last national. This looks to be a high school team of some sort. IMHO it seems to be from the 1910s or so, but I really have no idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Pics and Zeenuts copy.jpg (75.0 KB, 176 views)
Old 04-25-2013, 06:14 PM
Dan Brown

From Graig's photoshop picture it looks almost possible that the catcher is wearing a tipped finger catcher's glove, which perhaps could bring more value.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Neat photos....especially that first one!!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Matt Hall

Cool stuff Travis, the guy in the middle that's identified above his head, looks familiar... But I won't open that can of worms
Old 04-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Travis Wise

Default Matt,

Matt,

He really does look familiar. I have thought that since I got the image. I'm not very familiar with 19th century players so I really would have no idea really...

Travis