NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-27-2015, 03:08 PM
Ed McCollum

Default Special thanks to everyone on the board who helps with my collection

And today, special thanks to Erick Summers.

I get private messages or emails quite often when someone sees one of Howe's cards available, and I tell everyone, whether you are the first or the 50th person to tell me, I appreciate it. Today, I got a message as soon as I got to work from Erick and it started the same as all the others ....

I always just look at T206s ending today, so you probably are already on this one:

Thing was, I had looked at that lot the day it started on eBay and, blame it being tired, old age, old eyes, whatever, I didn't see the stamp on the back of the card in the group shot. With just a little more than five hours before it ended was the first time I saw that it would fit in my collection. Quick bid placed, a GavelSnipe just to make sure, and it should be soon joining the others.

Thanks to Erick for today, and to so many others on the board who point them out, let me know they found one and, in some cases, find one in their collection and just send it, saying it belongs with me. I can't express well enough how much the support and help has meant to me.

I've been on the board since basically the beginning, and have only met one member face to face. I look forward to the year when I finally get to a National and have the opportunity and pleasure of meeting a lot more of you guys who have been so helpful.

Thanks again.

Ed
Old 10-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It's always great when collectors help other collectors. I can't say how many times I get emails for a heads up. It's always appreciated. Good luck in the hunt Ed, your journey is a fun one.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Tony Davis

How many are you up to now, Ed?
Old 10-27-2015, 03:45 PM
Ed McCollum

When this one arrives next week, I'll be at 278. Never thought I would be at a number anywhere near this. Eight years ago, thought maybe 20 or 30 by the time I reached room temperature.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:21 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Congrats Ed, I love the Howe collection!

And Erick probably has the best eyes in the hobby for T206s. He ain't called the Hound for nothin'!!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Derek Granger

best collecting focus in the hobby! keep up the good work!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 10-27-2015, 06:17 PM
J3ff Thr0m

Sure you've seen it.....

https://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-...l?itemid=90779

4 of em.....

Jennings 1 hand
Marquard throwing
Atz
Merkle portrait
Old 10-27-2015, 07:01 PM
Travis Bid.ner

Very neat to try to put someone's collection back together. How did you get started with collecting his back stamped cards?

Also would like to add a few AMERICAN BEAUTIES
350 frame,no frame and/or 460
Old 10-28-2015, 06:53 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Travis, here is a copy of the short story I posted about a year ago ...

In 1991, while traditionally collecting T206s, I purchased a Hindu-backed card sight-unseen, and upon arrival, it had a rubber stamp on the back of Howe McCormick. Move forward to late 2006, I see another card on eBay with the same stamp and decide to buy it. Mention it here on the board, and I start to hear from many collectors who have one or two, and decided to try and reassemble his collection. Sold the nearly 200 I had at the time in 2007 and since then now own 267, am awaiting one in the mail next week, and know of another 38 that exist with his stamp, but aren't in my collection. There are even more out there I am sure, as they show up in bunches on occasion.

Born in 1896, he lived in the store his parents owned in a neighborhood that had a McCormick Street, named after his grandfather, who was a prominent Presbyterian minister at the turn of the century. Went to U of F, served in the Army in WWI, was discharged, married, moved out of the store and had a daughter. Last census info I've found was from 1930, when his occupation was listed as salesman. Died in 1976, his wife a couple years later. Haven't found any living relatives through several attempts at Ancestry.com.

I just found it interesting to find two cards that far apart that had the same stamp and decided to try and see how many there were. Had no idea it would go this far, or bring me in contact with so many of the wonderful members of this board who have helped along the way. My continued thanks to all.

TO CLARIFY: that was about a year ago. I have been able to contact Howe's second cousin who is still living in the Gainesville area (sort of) and stay in touch with him.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:47 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
best collecting focus in the hobby! keep up the good work!
+1 It's always fun to read updates on your quest.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:00 PM
And.rew Whi.te

This may sound weird but I almost feel like your collection is mine as well, or maybe more like it "belongs" to the Net54 boards in general since it seems we were there when the collection started. I obviously have zero dollars invested like you do but I do have a great interest in these stamped cards and seeing them all together once again and am always on the lookout for more. I think many of us are "invested" in your pursuit without having any money invested.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Ed McCollum

Default Good point, Andrew

Hadn't really thought about it in that way before, but you are correct. This collection wouldn't exist without this board, and so it does belong to everyone here.

Just hope it's O.K. that it stays with me for a while longer.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:11 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
Hadn't really thought about it in that way before, but you are correct. This collection wouldn't exist without this board, and so it does belong to everyone here.

Just hope it's O.K. that it stays with me for a while longer.
LOL. I think it is only appropriate that it stays firmly in your grasp! But thanks for letting us watch the collection grow.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:57 PM
Jeff R

Default Big smile

Awesome, that is the only way to describe this thread and Ed's quest. With far to many negative stories in this crazy world, it is great to read about the Net54 community coming together to help Ed complete a collection. Anytime we do something without thought to our own gain that positive karma is felt and reverberated throughout our community and makes us all better people. I cringe every time I read a negative thread or watch the infighting. While sometimes it is necessary to share a negative experience to bring awareness to the greater good, it's stories like this one that continue to keep me motivated and excited about being part of the Net54 community. Today I am proud to call myself a Net54er.

With that said, I commend all of you that have contributed to helping Ed reassemble the Howe McCormick collection. My only selfish hope is that I can come across one of these cards and put my own metaphorical stamp on the reassembling of this very cool quest.

Thanks Ed for letting all of us be part of your collection and your humble appreciation of everyone who have helped out is a beautiful tribute to the attitude that I feel Net54 is ultimately all about.

Kudos to all of you,
Jeff
Successful Net54 transactions with: t206fix x2, Shammus, mybuddyinc x3, FrankWakefield, Brian Van Horn, Jrsox, Vintagetoppsguy, powderfinger, Bocabirdman x2, Baseball*Collectibles, bcbgcbrcb, Vintageismygame, usernamealreadytaken, oldjudge x2, Joshchisox08, rocarroll, Voodoochild, Sebie43 and frankbmd and more...
Old 10-29-2015, 10:06 PM
Ed McCollum

Default Just like the first post in the thread ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thromdog View Post
Nope, I hadn't. First I'd heard of it or seen it. Thanks, Jeff.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:23 AM
€r!©k §µmmćr$

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
And today, special thanks to Erick Summers.
always glad to help when i can.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Andy Broome

Ed, I've always loved your collection as I have been fascinated with the Howe stamp since the early 90s.
I always feel bad having one that I keep from you but it was my very 1st T206 and I still can't part with it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by abroome View Post
Ed, I've always loved your collection as I have been fascinated with the Howe stamp since the early 90s.
I always feel bad having one that I keep from you but it was my very 1st T206 and I still can't part with it!

So basically the collection will never be complete. Interesting. Any word on how many cards were in the collection?
Old 11-02-2015, 07:12 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Thrilled to have found some for you in a venue you hadn't seen before.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:13 AM
Ed McCollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
So basically the collection will never be complete. Interesting. Any word on how many cards were in the collection?
Well, Bobby, I've never been able to find any record of how many he might have had. Seems the collection was already broken by the time he died in '76 (I do have proof that his cards where in other collections before that time), and with all relative except the second cousin no longer living, doubt I'll ever find anyone with a list of the cards he might have had at one time. Part of the fun of this is not ever knowing if I am done or not. I have to keep searching.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Ed McCollum

Quote:

Andy and I had traded emails at one time, but guess I didn't realize he still had the card we talked about. With his, and the four in the upcoming Huggins and Scott Auction, that would be another 35 that I know exist, but aren't mine. Of those, I do know the owner of 8 of those. The rest were lost on eBay or other auction sites and I wasn't able to contact the new owner at the time.

So just like in the last week, when six I didn't know about show up, I'm sure that will continue on and on.

Again, thanks to everyone of the board for their help in putting the collection back together. And Andy, if you wouldn't mind, could you send me a scan of your card (or at least the front/back combo) for my data base. Thanks again.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:54 AM
Fred

This is the kind of stuff that makes collecting fun. Who would have thought that you could have found so many cards with the same stamp.

Time to speculate on how his collection was dispersed since it's known that his cards were in other collections before he died.

How about....

His mother tossed them out while doing a spring cleaning (a long time ago)....
Old 11-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Ed McCollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
You know, Fred, you may not be too far off. Hadn't thought of it, but his army enrollment paperwork I found on Ancestry.com lists the address on the cards. Two years later, the census lists a different address for he and his wife, but the same address for Mom and Dad and the store.

Hummmmmmmmmm.....
Old 11-24-2015, 06:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
This is the kind of stuff that makes collecting fun. Who would have thought that you could have found so many cards with the same stamp.

Time to speculate on how his collection was dispersed since it's known that his cards were in other collections before he died.

How about....

I agree Fred. ..The journey is so much of the fun.....I think all of the cards got sold at a garage sale by his mom many years ago.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:10 AM
Ed McCollum

Maybe Howe's daughter, who never married or had kids, did have a kid, and he found the cards in the attic of grandpa's house, tucked in a box, under the floor ....
Old 11-25-2015, 06:42 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:

Andy:

How could you be the one to prevent a collector from achieving his dreams.

Have a happy holiday and see you soon

Rich