NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Default Card type question

Posted By: Jorge Marce

When a card is catagorized as a tobacco (T-type) or caramel (E-type) does it just mean that the card was produced by a tobacco co. or caramel co. or does it also mean that it was distributed along with tobacco or caramel products. One more question, and forgive my ignorance, but what is the common link in W-type cards. I know they include strip cards as well as Cabinets, I don't follow the connection. Looking forward to your answers.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away...

most cards were issued as premium items or promotional advertising to encourage consumers to buy tobacco products. People back then often watched games in suits and ties. Thus, they were likely candidates to smoke cigars and other products. Tobacco companies started to include pictures of ball players in cigarette packs.

Once kids started going to games, candy companies began to use pictures in their products to encourage purchasing by kids. In the 20's , American Caramel Company became a big boy on the scene.During the 1920s, cards would be found in American Caramel Company products as well as with ice cream. I think that strip cards and Exhibit cards both get the W designation is because they both came from penny machines during this time.

1933 - Gum cards are the thing.

Jim Burdick is the reason why things are designated the way they are. He was the most notable of early card collectors. He started writing articles in the 30's about the "hobby". It was his collection that became the Am. Card Catalog .... i think it was from 37 but might have been 36 ....

Funny thing about Burdick, aka father of card collecting, is that he didn't even like baseball (or so the story goes). He was a paper items guy and such.

Burdick did this:
N: 19th century tobacco
T: 20th century Tobacco
E: Early candy
R: Gum

T206 is the t206 b/c that's what burdick called it.

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

I'm Smart Enough To Know, There Are A Lot Of People Who Know More Than I Know

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 09-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

T cards were distributed by tobacco companies, either with the product or mailed out as a premium. Strip cards should be issued in sheets and cut into individual cards. Of course, there are a number of errors with the ACC catalog - don't know how W600s weren't designated M cards, or H807(?) Old Mill Cabinets weren't given a T designation.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Actually Burdick did NOT designate the "N" for Nineteenth Century. He charted them as only a number. Sometime later they got the N designation....maybe Sports Collectors Bible or.....not sure.....there are actually a fair amount of current, modern day mistakes, that we just take as gospel now. I am not saying it doesn't make sense....I'm just saying a lot of what we know today has been morphed (is that a word?) into what we believe today....regards....btw my beloved Four Base Hits are 690 in the ACC...so they do have a number...which today would be N690...along with Kalamazoo Bats ...

ps....T cards, I thought, are for "twentieth century" tobacco