NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 01-17-2021, 08:22 PM

Default Looking to invest in Greinke...

I'm a big fan of Zack Greinke and upon looking at cards for a few months, I've determined that THE card would be one of his 2002 Upper Deck Prospect Premieres Cut Autograph cards. I've had an interest in getting one as they are truly great cards and you can't beat having one of if not the best rookie cards of your favorite player. I can get a BGS 9.5 example (9.5s across the board on the subgrades) with an 9 auto grade. I have a chance to get the 9.5 for $200 and would like some opinions on whether or not this would be a good price and an investment?

I've seen this card fluctuate but hold pretty well around $350 (low end) plus for graded copies. I realize that Zack is relativley obscure and his cards will never achieve the prices of today's superstars, however, I strongly believe that Zack will be enshrined in Cooperstown and that fans will eventually appreciate his career.

The eventual enshrinement in the HoF brings me to my next point. A player like Peyton Manning has been destined to the HoF for almost a decade now but with the official announcement of being elected a finalst for this year's class, his card prices have skyrocketed most noatably his Gold Topps Chrome Rookie. I feel that Greinke's best cards will eventually see this price bump as well, especially his 2002 Upper Deck Prospect Premieres Auto. I feel that the prices would soften a bit after his induction but not by much.

Being that this is what seems to be his #1 rookie I'm definetly interested but no matter what card it is I don't want to overpay and I want to make sure that what I pay now has the chance to become an investment in the future. I would most likely try to sell my raw 2002 Bowman Chrome Joe Mauer Base Auto and put whatever I get from that into the Greinke.

Any and all opinions are welcomed!

Thanks and stay safe!
Old 01-17-2021, 08:33 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I wouldn't do it.

In general, pitchers are a poor investment choice, they almost never achieve the popularity of hitters and their cards fall behind. Greinke is shaping up to reach the Hall, but he will make it with a compiler reputation (2009 and 2015 are not getting him in) who played for several times and split his prime among several teams, none of which he is identified strongly with. Greinke is a poor investment; there are not many Greinke fans, his hall election will not be a surprise but it also won't be a top tier. He's going in with Niekro and Perry, not Maddux and Pedro as the best of the best. Even the absolute best pitchers don't usually make for good investments, nothing going for Greinke seems to indicate he would break the trends.

If one collects, one will have one. If one invests, one may make money. If one tries to collect and invest at the same time, usually one doesn't end up having a lot of fun or making much money. I'd collect Greinke because you like Greinke, or invest in something more likely to produce a safe return.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Buy one if you like the card (I prefer the Bowman myself) but not as an investment. It isn't one.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:27 PM
Tim Odeen

There are lots of collectors who sell cards to buy cards. Do what makes you happy. We have super collectors on this site, some of players who aren't in the hall, never will be. But I agree with others, it's hard to forecast a solid investment.

I'm not sure Greinke is comparable to Manning. Did Mannings cards jump in price due to HOF voting, or because all cards are going bonkers this year?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 01-17-2021, 09:46 PM
Rob

Had AJ Hinch left Greinke in game 7, the Astros would have 2 World Series wins, instead of 1. I'd rather have his rookie card than Joe Mauer's. That said, I know very little about cards made after the eighties, and view them as valueless.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:13 AM
John Donovan

As a Royals fan I've always been a Greinke fan as well. Watching his early struggles and then bouncing back to win the Cy Young award in 2009 was great (I had to go hunting in multiple stores in the KC area in the summer of 2009 to find a copy of his Sports Illustrated cover...they were hot sellers around here).

While it was unfortunate he wasn't around during our 2014 and 2015 World Series years, he definitely had an impact because it was his trade to the Brewers that landed us Alcides Escobar and Lorenzo Cain...two major contributors to those World Series teams.

I researched Greinke rookies back in the late 2000's and I agree, the 2002 Upper Deck Prospects auto is the best Greinke rookie. It's a really cool design. I never did pull the trigger as they were going for around $50 raw at the time, and as I had two young kids, that was a LOT of money to be paying for a baseball card.

With patience, it looks like you could still pick one up for around $100 raw or 8 or 9 grade. Personally, I would pick one of those up for enjoyment. I agree with the other posters that Greinke rookies probably aren't the best "investment". But it could be a lot of FUN to build a Greinke collection (cards, autos, etc.) from all his different teams....and that 2002 auto rookie would be the cornerstone.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:42 PM
Dave L.

His WAR is among the highest of any active player and he will get into the HOF.

He has somewhat quietly been excellent for a long time.

Might be along the lines of Smoltz, Glavine, Schilling, Hoffman in terms of collector interest though.

I would say though that he could be like Scott Rolen, who was a hobby ignored star, that has seen a real jump in his best RCs since he has been on track for getting the votes needed for the HOF in the near future.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:54 AM

Peyton Manning has a lot more going for him than Greinke. Greinke is probably a HOFer but the lowest tier. Since this isn't an investment opportunity that will ever bring much in return I would buy the card you like in whatever grade you like so long as you're happy with it. It's unlikely to leave your collection once you get it.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

My Zack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greinke.jpg (73.0 KB, 77 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:24 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Peyton Manning has a lot more going for him than Greinke. Greinke is probably a HOFer but the lowest tier. Since this isn't an investment opportunity that will ever bring much in return I would buy the card you like in whatever grade you like so long as you're happy with it. It's unlikely to leave your collection once you get it.
This was my thought about Peyton v Greinke. Manning was the star of multiple teams that went to the Super Bowl. He has national advertisements for more than one company. He is a household name.

But like I said before, we have super collectors on this site. I always think it's cool when they show off their collections. If you're into Greinke, go after it.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 01-19-2021, 01:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
This was my thought about Peyton v Greinke. Manning was the star of multiple teams that went to the Super Bowl. He has national advertisements for more than one company. He is a household name.

But like I said before, we have super collectors on this site. I always think it's cool when they show off their collections. If you're into Greinke, go after it.
it's much more than that. Manning would make most people's list of the top 5 QBs of all time. It's hard for me to believe Greinke is even among the top 50 pitchers.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
My Zack.
This is superb! Beautiful card!
Old 01-19-2021, 06:22 PM

I’m going to hold off a bit and save a little more but I think I’ll go for it! I really like the appeal of the card and yes, it most likely wouldn’t leave my collection, I was just curious about it’s value but that’s something that really doesn’t matter for this piece. I’d only sell it if I had to I guess.