NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-01-2011, 01:20 AM

Default December 2011 Pick-Ups

I was able to trade for another original photograph of the '27 Yanks to replace the one I traded to my good friend Mark/lordstan as part of our epic Ruth & Gehrig trade of last summer. I intend to hang on to this one, but you just never know...

042.jpg
Old 12-01-2011, 04:34 AM
Phil Garry

Very nice, Jimmy. Congrats!
Old 12-01-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
I was able to trade for another original photograph of the '27 Yanks to replace the one I traded to my good friend Mark/lordstan as part of our epic Ruth & Gehrig trade of last summer. I intend to hang on to this one, but you just never know...

Attachment 50629
Great photo Jimmy- congrats!
Old 12-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

+1 Jimmy - great 'hats off' shot. Wonder if Babe stuck his chewing gum right in his hair prior to the photo?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:17 AM

Good Call Scott. Underwood & Underwood did the hats off version. I was once the underbidder on that famous Ruth/Conlon photo with the Babe's wad of gum right on top of the button! And what's really great about that image is that the Bambino looked as serious as you'll ever see him.

Last edited by thekingofclout; 12-01-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Scott

Anybody else got any>?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Graig Kreindler

I have a few photos that are in transit right now, including a very nice shot of a super young Mel Ott, so I'll have to hold off on posting those until they're in hand.

But, as per Jimmy's Conlon claim, this is an in-progress for a fellow board member:

If you didn't win that original, I can't even imagine what it really went for!!

Graig
Old 12-01-2011, 12:31 PM

PERFECT Brudah... as always! The Gum looks much better in Kreindlercolor. (Kreindlercolor Trademarked by DMD)

If I had won that photo, I would have had to sell many terrific pieces in order to raise the funds, that is certain.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
I have a few photos that are in transit right now, including a very nice shot of a super young Mel Ott, so I'll have to hold off on posting those until they're in hand.

But, as per Jimmy's Conlon claim, this is an in-progress for a fellow board member:

If you didn't win that original, I can't even imagine what it really went for!!

Graig
Wow - another amazing piece. It's tough not being a Yankees fan sometimes!

I have a couple of Ott photos arriving as well, 1933 and 1934. His camera pose was so classic - every shot looks like it could have been used for a card.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:52 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Default St. Paul Saints

One of my coolest St. Paul Saints items. Their 1920 American Association Championship Trophy.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1920 trophy.jpg (59.2 KB, 549 views)

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 12-01-2011, 12:56 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Default Watch Fob

I also bought St. Paul Saints' manager Mike Kelley's presentation watch fob. The front reads, "A.A. Champions: 1919, '20, '22" and the back is inscribed "M. J. Kelley."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1920 fob.jpg (69.8 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg kelley fob 2.jpg (51.9 KB, 486 views)

1913 Cravats pennants

Old 12-01-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
I also bought St. Paul Saints' manager Mike Kelley's presentation watch fob. The front reads, "A.A. Champions: 1919, '20, '22" and the back is inscribed "M. J. Kelley."
Nice pickup Chris. It's beautiful!!
Old 12-01-2011, 02:32 PM

Default Holy Grail no-hitter tickets finally found...

I just found one of my ticket collecting holy grails today.

In 1968 (the year of the pitcher), a very rare occurance happened at historic Candlestick Park in SF. On September 17, 1968 HOF'ers Gaylord Perry and Bob Gibson matched up in a true pitching duel for the ages. On this day Perry was up to the challenge as he bested a pitcher Gibson that was enjoying one of the greatest season's ever (1.12 ERA en route to the pitcher's triple crown). Perry no-hit the World Champion Cardinals 1-0.

Not to be outdone, the Cards' Ray Washburn returned the favor by no-hitting the SF Giants 2-0 less than 16 hours later the following day! A miniscule 4700 fans attended the Washburn no-hitter at "The Stick".

Amazingly, I actually acquired the ticket for the lucky fan that was witness to baseball history in the making. The patron was a die hard SF Giants season ticket holder named Lena Pontier. She became a season ticket holder when the NY Giants relocated to San Francisco in 1958 and attended almost every game through the Bay Bridge World Series in 1989.

Note that Lena had an unbeliveable seat to witness all this baseball history- Section 1, Box 1. Here is a look at her tickets and dated complimentary parking passes to Perry's and Washburn's back-to-back no-hitters in 1968.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-02-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:37 PM

Default Holy grail pickup photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I just found one of my ticket collecting holy grails today.

In 1968 (the year of the pitcher), a very rare occurance happened at historic Candlestick Park in SF. On September 17, 1968 HOF'ers Gaylord Perry and Bob Gibson matched up in a true pitching duel for the ages. On this day Perry was up to the challenge as he bested a pitcher Gibson that was enjoying one of the greatest season's ever (1.12 ERA en route to the pitcher's triple crown. Perry no-hit the World Champion Cardinals 1-0.

Not to be outdone, the Cards' Ray Washburn returned the favor by no-hitting the SF Giants 2-0 less than 16 hours later the following day! A miniscule 4700 fans attended the Washburn no-hitter at "The Stick".

Amazingly, I actually acquired the ticket for the lucky fan that was witness to baseball history in the making. The patron was a die hard SF Giants season ticket holder named Lena Pontier. She became a season ticket holder when the NY Giants relocated to San Franciso in 1958 and attended almost every game through the Bay Bridge World Series in 1989.

Note that Lena had an unbeliveable seat to witness all this baseball history- Section 1, Box 1. Here is a look at her tickets and dated complimentary passes to Perry's and Washburn's back-to-back no-hitters in 1968.
Here is the photo. For some reason it didn't make it on the 1st post! Doh!!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-01-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Wow Scott, way to end the year on a high note. Of course, you still have 30 days left
Old 12-01-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Here is the photo. For some reason it didn't make it on the 1st post! Doh!!
That is sweet! As a Giants Fan...I'm glad to have seen this item! Makes me recall the time as I was a kid sitting in the swirling winds..when the stadium was still not enclosed....

Ricky Y
Old 12-01-2011, 05:32 PM

Those are some very cool tickets Scott -- what a no hitter collection you've built!
Being a Giants fan, I remember those back to back no hitters very well. Amazingly, if I recall correctly without looking it up, the very same thing happened again the next year, I think right around the same time as the moon landing.

Greg
Old 12-01-2011, 06:16 PM

Default Back-to-back no-hitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyy View Post
That is sweet! As a Giants Fan...I'm glad to have seen this item! Makes me recall the time as I was a kid sitting in the swirling winds..when the stadium was still not enclosed....

Ricky Y
Hey Ricky and Greg,

Here is a big shout out to all Giants fans. I thought you might like seeing a 1968 signed Gaylord Perry no-hitter program from his big day on Sept. 17th.- the 1st of the back-to-back no-hitters.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:22 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Scott:

If I recall correctly, Jim Maloney (Reds) and Don Wilson (Astros) also pitched back to back no-hitters in the late '60s. I was just a little kid, but that's how I think I remember it. I attended the Maloney no-no, and then I believe Wilson came right back and pitched his the following evening.

Both games were at Crosley Field... at least that's how I am remembering it from 40+ years ago.

Anyway... just curious as to whether you have either of those Tickets? I figured if anyone does, it would be you! I wish I had the knowledge way back then to save mine, but it is long-gone

Last edited by perezfan; 12-01-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
Those are some very cool tickets Scott -- what a no hitter collection you've built!
Being a Giants fan, I remember those back to back no hitters very well. Amazingly, if I recall correctly without looking it up, the very same thing happened again the next year, I think right around the same time as the moon landing.

Greg
Thanks Greg, Ricky, Mike amd Mark...

Greg and Mark, your memories are flawless!

The following year on April 30, 1969 Jim Maloney pitched his 2nd career no-hitter against the visiting Houston Astros, defeating them 10-0.

The very next day Astros fireballer Don Wilson duplicated the Perry Washburn back-to back no-hitter feat from a year earlier. Don Wilson also pitched his 2nd no-hitter against the hometown Reds 4-0 in front of another incredibly small crowd. Only 4,400 attended Wilson's masterpiece. After searching for this ticket for 39 years, I also finally found it in 2011.

NOTE: Wilson's life ended suddenly at age 31 in 1974 when he died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

BTW, the only other time that back-to-back no-hitters occured in ML history was in 1917 when Ernie Koob and Bob Groom did it in St. Louis.

Sorry, I don't have either of these to show!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-02-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:45 PM

Just returned from shopping and found this in the mail... Santa came early for me!

Iconic 1948 TYPE 1 Pulitzer Prize Winning Photograph by Nat Fein - "Babe Bows Out"

It has some condition issues as there is a lot of crazing and a sharp paper clip crease on the bottom edge, that does NOT break through. All in all, I'm thrilled beyond belief. In something as important as this photo is, content trumps condition every single time!

I never dreamed that I would have been fortunate enough to acquire the four Ruth photos that I have in the last few months. Someone's watching over me...

1948BabeRuth-NatFein.jpg

Last edited by thekingofclout; 12-01-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Great pick up Jimmy! I have always loved that photo although it brings a lot of sadness with it.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Just returned from shopping and found this in the mail... Santa came early for me!

Iconic 1948 TYPE 1 Pulitzer Prize Winning Photograph by Nat Fein - "Babe Bows Out"

It has some condition issues as there is a lot of crazing and a sharp paper clip crease on the bottom edge, that does NOT break through. All in all, I'm thrilled beyond belief. In something as important as this photo is, content trumps condition every single time!

I never dreamed that I would have been fortunate enough to acquire the four Ruth photos that I have in the last few months. Someone's watching over me...

Attachment 50676
Nice Jimmy!! That's Bob Feller's bat that Babe is carrying on to the field. BTW, that bat is on display at the Bob Feller museum in Van Meter, IA if you ever want to visit it....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-01-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:02 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Nice pickup Chris. It's beautiful!!
Thanks, I really appreciate that!

Chris

1913 Cravats pennants

Old 12-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Craig

Spectacular find Jimmy - and the collection just gets bigger (and better)!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Wow Scott, way to end the year on a high note. Of course, you still have 30 days left
Thanks for all the nice words guys! And Bugsy, that fob is sweet! It really pops. Great pick-up.

And Mike, 30 days for Scott is like a year or two for the rest of us! Scott started 2011 on fire and he continues on his amazing streak! Week after week. Jeez Scott, don't you work? Man, I thought I was possessed, but you make me look like a little kid. I've never seen anyone run so good for so long. Keep it up Buddy!

And in case anyone hasn't noticed yet. The sheer madness & bliss that is Henry Yee auctions, went live yesterday and the photos start listing later today!

Here's a link. And good luck to all, unless your bidding against me!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/hyee_auction...4&_sop=1&_sc=1

Last edited by thekingofclout; 12-02-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks Greg, Ricky, Mike amd Mark...

Greg and Mark, your memories are flawless!

The following year on April 30, 1969 Jim Maloney pitched his 2nd career no-hitter against the visiting Houston Astros, defeating them 10-0.

The very next day Astro fireballer Don Wilson duplicated the Perry Washburn back-to back no-hitter feat from a year earlier. Don Wilson also pitched his 2nd no-hitter against the hometown Reds 4-0 in front of another incredibly small crowd. Only 4,400 attended Wilson's masterpiece. After searching for this ticket for 39 years, I also finally found it in 2011.

NOTE: Wilson's life ended suddenly at age 31 in 1974 when he died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

BTW, the only other time that back-to-back no-hitters occured in ML history was in 1917 when Ernie Koob and Bob Groom did it in St. Louis.

Sorry, I don't have either of these to show!
Hey Scott. What are those cameo type photos of Maloney & Wilson. I've never seen anything like them. Do you have more?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:18 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Jimmy,
Once again you come up with the stuff. I saw what else you bought and am VERY jealous. Those are some sweet pics.

Scott,
Those back to back No hit tickets are sick. You pull stuff out of nowhere. Just wonderful.

best,
Mark (who is sad as he has nothing new to post)

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 12-02-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Hey Scott. What are those cameo type photos of Maloney & Wilson. I've never seen anything like them. Do you have more?
Hey Jimmy,
Those cameo type photos I make myself. It's something that I came up with to better display my no-hit tickets.

I collect no-hit pitcher postcards (signed preferrably), some team issued, some Burke/Brace, some actual RPPC or 3 x 5 photos. Mostly I prefer B/W, but I do have some that are in color when I can't find one in B/W.

With tickets in my no-hitter collection, I manufacture these cameos by making color copies of these postcards and diminish or enlarge the image to custom "fit" the cameo portion. I make color copies of B/W to get better quality copies. Finally, I use a cameo shape template to cut out the image and mount it with glue stick to a white, unlined 3 x 5 index card.

When you look at my no-hitter ticket collection, I have the tickets in toploaders with a second top loader behind it with the photo cameo card in a toploader facing forward, with a signed 3 x 5 or GPC signature of the pitcher on the backside of the cameo. My no-hitter tickets are stored in albums in chronological order in 3 pocket pages. It makes for a great way to store them and look through them as a collection.

It takes a little time to do this when you are starting from scratch, but I have been working on these cameos as a project over the last 2-3 winters.

What can I say, winters are long around here, and a guy with too much time on his hands gets bored...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-02-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Hey Jimmy,
Those cameo type photos I make myself. It's something that I came up with to better display my no-hit tickets.

I collect no-hit pitcher postcards (signed preferrably), some team issued, some Burke/Brace, some actual RPPC or 3 x 5 photos. Mostly I prefer B/W, but I do have some that are in color when I can't find one in B/W.

With tickets in my no-hitter collection, I manufacture these cameos by making color copies of these postcards and diminish or enlarge the image to custom "fit" the cameo portion. I make color copies of B/W to get better quality copies. Finally, I use a cameo shape template to cut out the image and mount it with glue stick to a white, unlined 3 x 5 index card.

When you look at my no-hitter ticket collection, I have the tickets in toploaders with a second top loader behind it with the photo cameo card in a toploader facing forward, with a signed 3 x 5 or GPC signature of the pitcher on the backside of the cameo. My no-hitter tickets are stored in albums in chronological order in 3 pocket pages. It makes for a great way to store them and look through them as a collection.

It takes a little time to do this when you are starting from scratch, but I have been working on these cameos as a project over the last 2-3 winters.

What can I say, winters are long around here, and I guy with too much time on his hands gets board...
Very interesting and creative.

I only have one no-hitter stub - from Ryan's 7th that I attended. I used to have it displayed with a signed no-hitter poster, but the poster overwhelmed it.

Recently I picked up a wire photo from the no-hitter that is much smaller - trying to come up with something creative to display the ticket along with a photo of my friends after the game. I guess the next thing to do would be to get a signature on a smaller item?
Old 12-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
What can I say, winters are long around here, and I guy with too much time on his hands gets board...
Funny, I've been retired now for 6 months and I never seem to have as much time on my hands as you do Scott Seems like my wife always makes sure I have something to do around the house. I'm starting to think she's breaking stuff just so I keep busy.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Jimmy,
Once again you come up with the stuff. I saw what else you bought and am VERY jealous. Those are some sweet pics.

Scott,
Those back to back No hit tickets are sick. You pull stuff out of nowhere. Just wonderful.

best,
Mark (who is sad as he has nothing new to post)
I was going to wait until it arrived to post it Mark but since you've got me under surveillance and undoubtedly on double secret probation, I'll go ahead and give it up.

Just picked up this 1937 TYPE 1 Lou Gehrig photo yesterday that I've had my eye on for quite a long time now...

Gehrig-Staring-Down-Bats.jpgGehrig-Staring-Down-Bats-Verso.jpg
Old 12-02-2011, 02:47 PM

Default A suggestion Scott...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Very interesting and creative.

I only have one no-hitter stub - from Ryan's 7th that I attended. I used to have it displayed with a signed no-hitter poster, but the poster overwhelmed it.

Recently I picked up a wire photo from the no-hitter that is much smaller - trying to come up with something creative to display the ticket along with a photo of my friends after the game. I guess the next thing to do would be to get a signature on a smaller item?

Consider framing your photo of you and your buddies up with the 7th no-hitter "I was there" certificate of attendance and your ticket double matted w/ red and Ranger blue. It would look sharp!

Here is a scan of mine which is unframed. I got Ryan and his 7th no-hitter catcher to sign it quite a few years back. Both players occasionally do signings.

I may have an extra 7th no-hitter certificate around here that I might donate to your project if you like the idea.

PLMK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ryan 7th no-hitter I was there cert.jpg (65.6 KB, 480 views)
Old 12-02-2011, 03:23 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Jimmy,
No surveillance or probation for you dude. I was following that pic and asked/offered him trade including the Ruth scowl pic but he didn't want it. I just happened to notice who bought it because of the Fein.
You are soooooo lucky I didn't have the cash... or you might've had to pay more for it.
It is beautiful. Congrats on the great pick up.

Quote:
I was going to wait until it arrived to post it Mark but since you've got me under surveillance and undoubtedly on double secret probation, I'll go ahead and give it up.

Just picked up this 1937 TYPE 1 Lou Gehrig photo yesterday that I've had my eye on for quite a long time now...

Attachment 50699Attachment 50700

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 12-02-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Consider framing your photo of you and your buddies up with the 7th no-hitter "I was there" certificate of attendance and your ticket double matted w/ red and Ranger blue. It would look sharp!

Here is a scan of mine which is unframed. I got Ryan and his 7th no-hitter catcher to sign it quite a few years back. Both players occasionally do signings.

I may have an extra 7th no-hitter certificate around here that I might donate to your project if you like the idea.

PLMK
Scott, that is a great idea! I didn't even know that "I was there" certificates existed. At some point I'll scan the items and post - I'm not in the photo, as I was taking it

I always liked Mike Stanley - scary as a fielder, but a lot of enthusiasm and a decent clutch hitter.

Edited to add: I went on a free 'Winn Dixie' night ticket, so it doesn't look like a normal stub. The advantage to this was I picked up a few of extras that people had thrown on the ground during the game, and gave a nice one to my brother and other friends. I was quite sick that day and my buddies in the photo had to almost drag me there - it was the first game as an adult that I did not drink a beer at the game.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-02-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:34 AM

Default Gehrig

With all due respect to my family and friends, this has to be the "nicest" Christmas card I have ever received in the mail. The card is signed in black ink on the front side and pencil on the back. I would be interested in any information anyone might be able to provide that can tie a person named "Mazie" to Lou Gehrig such as a friend, relative, etc. as I am always trying to find out the most I can about the items in my collection. Thanks much for any help.

Happy Holidays to all here and a safe and properous New Year and good luck in all of your future collecting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lou.jpg (44.5 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg lou1.jpg (67.3 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg mazie.jpg (74.5 KB, 418 views)
Old 12-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Matt

Default a Craig's List pick up from yesterday...

First off, that's a nice Christmas card, Dave, but it's too bad someone named 'Lou' wrote all over it. And why did he have to sign it twice? Bummer

Guys....Here's my recent pickup from Craig's list, of all places. Supposedly this was in the wall of the guy's grandparents house and was found years ago while doing restoration. From my limited research, I believe this old ball is called a 'belt ball' and dates from the mid 19th century (please correct me if I'm wrong). It's 3 pieces and as seen in the photos, the one side came loose years ago with the rolled inner fabric strips exposed. I was disappointed to see the loose piece at first, but then decided it was kind of cool to see the 'inner workings' of this old ball.....kind of like one of those engine diagrams on display at auto shows (so, IMO, sort of like 'bad news, not so bad/slightly good news'). The ball measures almost 9" in circumference at it's widest girth, so it's a bit larger than some of the other ones I came across in my research.

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (69.2 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (73.2 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (70.4 KB, 400 views)
Old 12-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Mike H.

That is a real HONEY Matt. Very tough ball and on par with lemon peels.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
First off, that's a nice Christmas card, Dave, but it's too bad someone named 'Lou' wrote all over it. And why did he have to sign it twice? Bummer

Guys....Here's my recent pickup from Craig's list, of all places. Supposedly this was in the wall of the guy's grandparents house and was found years ago while doing restoration. From my limited research, I believe this old ball is called a 'belt ball' and dates from the mid 19th century (please correct me if I'm wrong). It's 3 pieces and as seen in the photos, the one side came loose years ago with the rolled inner fabric strips exposed. I was disappointed to see the loose piece at first, but then decided it was kind of cool to see the 'inner workings' of this old ball.....kind of like one of those engine diagrams on display at auto shows (so, IMO, sort of like 'bad news, not so bad/slightly good news'). The ball measures almost 9" in circumference at it's widest girth, so it's a bit larger than some of the other ones I came across in my research.

Matt

Awesome Matt!!!

I think Pickles would like it.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicollector1954 View Post
With all due respect to my family and friends, this has to be the "nicest" Christmas card I have ever received in the mail. The card is signed in black ink on the front side and pencil on the back. I would be interested in any information anyone might be able to provide that can tie a person named "Mazie" to Lou Gehrig such as a friend, relative, etc. as I am always trying to find out the most I can about the items in my collection. Thanks much for any help.

Happy Holidays to all here and a safe and properous New Year and good luck in all of your future collecting.
You sure that is real? Cause if it's the same auction I seen, it had nothing but fakes in the auction?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
You sure that is real? Cause if it's the same auction I seen, it had nothing but fakes in the auction?
You beat me to the punch; doesn't look good at all to me
Old 12-04-2011, 07:31 AM
R@nda!! H@hn

Default Feller Vintage

Just picked up this sweet Bob Feller signed ball. I know, I know, how rare is a Bob Feller signed ball? Well I bought it because it is from his playing days and on a beautiful Ford Frick ball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0494.jpg (68.5 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0495.jpg (63.2 KB, 439 views)
Old 12-04-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Just picked up this sweet Bob Feller signed ball. I know, I know, how rare is a Bob Feller signed ball? Well I bought it because it is from his playing days and on a beautiful Ford Frick ball.
Beautiful vintage Feller Ball, Randall! Congrats!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:14 AM

Default Gehrig

Thanks Matt for your "nice" comments. I like your ball as well. I was very pleased to get this for my collection. As far as a couple other members comments here, you are welcome to your opinions. I myself think the "L" is slightly smaller in size than the "G" in Gehrig with the o in Lou being closed since this is probably a 30's signed piece. If you look closely, there is a slight break after the G and the e in Gehrig and more so of the one on the pencil sig. The slant of the small g also looks to be similar with a variation of less than 10 degrees as well. I won't continue.... but I am "comfortable" with adding this signature to my collection and that is what matters. The card was acquired in a "Sunshine" state auction and I woud have bought a few more that I thought were good as well...a nice Wagner, Frank Baker letter, Bill Klem and even a double signed Cobb were fine but did not have more $$. I might add that there were "many" autographs in that auction that did not look good as well.
This Gehrig will not appear anywhere anytime soon so no worries guys.

My autographs seldom make an appearance but since there are "authenticators" out there who things don't look good at all to and might not be "real", will share a first timer........Would be interested in getting "opinions" on this one pictured below. Take your "BEST LOOKS" and then read the rest after.

Never been on the market--never on the internet--better get your data bases going here--rare rare rare--can't be GOOD...gotta be a fake....where is the slant--where is the flow--where is the "red" pen--never used pencil--you can almost read every letter--sort of like an early (MJ)--never signed that way--on the back of a movie promo for a Marx brothers film--what--------you say this person did a movie with them in 1949???? Oop!!!!!!! Oh, maybe this vintage cut Type I proof nonsense pencil signature grading perhaps a 6/7 is in fact really legit...lol--Well...I guess it would have to maybe be deemed "Likely Genuine" as it is in fact an--------- "IN PERSON" autograph...
Say it ain't so Joe!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Holidays everyone.

(My momma always said)..."if you don't have something nice to say about someone--don't say anything at all." Good night Jim-Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg md.jpg (68.2 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg md2.jpg (45.4 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg md3.jpg (65.4 KB, 416 views)
Old 12-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Al

Default pickups

I would have the ink and the pencil graphite tested first! Look a little suspect to me! Oh educated experts we could use a little help here.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:53 AM
JD

Picked this up on eBay to go with my Wilkes Barre/Scranton collection. Might have over paid slightly not really sure of the value but it was a have to have item. I recently picked up the matching Scranton program as well. Best part is the pictured player on the 3rd base position is a 19 year old future hall of famer Bob Lemon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqN,!lkE65yle178BO0eVttY-w~~60_3.jpg (65.0 KB, 401 views)
Old 12-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Brock

(My momma always said)..."if you don't have something nice to say about someone--don't say anything at all." Good night Jim-Bob.[/QUOTE]

I guess never mind that were trying to help you out from you wasting money. But I guess a better person couldn't have bought them then, I seen the auction and could tell right away none of them looked right. If alot are fakes, then 99.9 percent of the time they are all fakes. But as long as your happy thinking it's real that's what matters.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Brock

Here's the auction of fakes. Coaches corner of Florida..

http://www.auctionzip.com/aflive.htm...by=1&order=asc
Old 12-04-2011, 06:40 PM
George

Just arrived in the mail yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1887 Our National Game.jpg (11.1 KB, 328 views)

Last edited by aquarius31; 12-04-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Mikeknapp

I picked this one up on ebay today. I love vintage advertising with a baseball theme. I thought this was a nice piece and a bit unusual. It's the first time I have ever come across one of these. I almost passed on it. However, it always seems that when I hesitate I wind up kicking myself for it later.