NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Turn of Century Cabinet photo...................

Picked up a REALLY interesting collection with some oddball items in it this weekend. I was thinking this stuff doesn't exist much anymore but thank you Craigslist!

Just listed the attached cabinet photo on Ebay if anyone is interested. 1 penny min bid.

Item #270867065806

Baseball Cabinet Photo New York Military Academy Team Bats Gloves Balls 1890s

Thanks! mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 010 (2).jpg (73.8 KB, 471 views)
Old 12-04-2011, 08:17 PM

Default Walter Johnson 99th shutout ticket

I just picked up a ticket stub to Walter Johnson's 99th career shutout- Opening Day 1924. Johnson still is the ML's shutout leader by a mile. He ended his career with 110 shutouts. His next closest competitor is Grover Cleveland Alexander with 90. To put this in perspective, HOF'er Nolan Ryan threw a lot of shutouts, but only ended up with 61......

This was a World Championship year for the Washington Senators; the only one that The Big Train ever won. This is the game that launched the Senators' push towards their eventual championship...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-05-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I just picked up a ticket stub to Walter Johnson's 99th career shutout- Opening Day 1924. Johnson still is the ML's shutout leader by a mile. He ended his career with 110 shutouts. His next closest competitor is Grover Cleveland Alexander with 90. To put this in perspective, HOF'er Nolan Ryan threw a lot of shutouts, but only ended up with 61......

This was a World Championship year for the Washington Senators; the only one that The Big Train ever won. This is the game that launched the Senators' push towards their eventual championship...
Jeez Scott. You're on a longer streak then DiMaggio ever had! BTW... When in the hell did you get that Johnson/Bain Photo? IMO that is the finest of all Johnson images. And a helluva ticket as well!

I picked up this c. 1960's vintage original Elektra Records promotional photograph featuring Jim Morrison of The Doors. This 8 1/2" x 11 photo has a "Gloria Stavers Collection" stamp on the reverse and comes from her estate. Stavers was the former Editor of 16 Magazine, and a very early supporter of The Doors, as well as a former lover of Morrison... but then again, who wasn't.

JimMorrison.jpg
Old 12-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Steve Zarelli

Mariano Rivera 2001 Game Used ball

MLB Game Used hologram
Session Product Description: GAME USED BALLS
Game: ORIOLES VS. YANKEES
Session Name: CAL RIPKEN FAREWELL TOUR
Session Date: September 21, 2001
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: GAME USED BASEBALL
Old 12-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Phil Garry

Nice pick-up, JD
Old 12-05-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Jeez Scott. You're on a longer streak then DiMaggio ever had! BTW... When in the hell did you get that Johnson/Bain Photo? IMO that is the finest of all Johnson images. And a helluva ticket as well!

I picked up this c. 1960's vintage original Elektra Records promotional photograph featuring Jim Morrison of The Doors. This 8 1/2" x 11 photo has a "Gloria Stavers Collection" stamp on the reverse and comes from her estate. Stavers was the former Editor of 16 Magazine, and a very early supporter of The Doors, as well as a former lover of Morrison... but then again, who wasn't.

Attachment 50871
Thanks Jimmy! The ticket is a cool pickup & the significance relating to 1924 for Walter Johnson is perfect. Unfortunately I don't personally own the Bain photo of Walter Johnson. I'm with you in that I really think this is one of my favorites that I've seen on Johnson. That's why I saved the image.

BTW, I've always been a huge Doors fan. This is the music that I grew up on. I love this photo! Great pickup and the significance of where it came from is awesome. I used to work a sales territory in west LA. Sometimes I would purposely drive out of the way in the late 1980's to look at the abandoned Electra Records building. I wonder if it's still there?
Old 12-06-2011, 05:24 PM

Default D&M BB Cleats and Best Melon I've ever seen

I actually got these very end end of last month....but November has come and gone so I'll post it here

Photobucket

Above is a pair of D&M baseball cleats from the turn of the century...I got them based on I know early high top cleats hardly exsist and the sellers claim they were the best he'd handled in his career...I beleive they're the first pair of early high tops I've seen for sale...They must have been stored in a well sealed trunk as I've never seen leather from the turn of the century so supple...it's like they're brand new!...though the soles appear to have very slight wear...and the tag is mint!...phew!

Photobucket

The same dealer said the same thing about this melon ball...best he'd ever handled...and that got my attention...hated to spend the money but I know melon footballs...and I knew the rounded shape was very early....Sure enough when I held it I was blown away....it's the oldest football I've ever seen in person...the patina screams 1880 even though the leather is supple....Plus another big bonus was it was found at Girard College in Philadelphia...so I know it's American!!!....at least played with in America...that's a whole lengthy subject of it's own as far as imported footballs in the late 19th century...I wish I had the time to do a deep research story on it...Anyway...took me twenty five years to find a ball this good!...It's filled with some kind of polly fill to hold it's shape. I was considering having a bladder put in but may leave it as is...I was told if I took the laces apart there might be a makers mark inside...but I hate to disturb it.

The only other melon football I've seen this good was one I saw last May in the Yale trophy room...which you can read about here...that one would shut down north America!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 12-06-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Graig Kreindler

INCREDIBLE stuff so far, guys - what a way to end the year!!

Finally got this guy in the mail, and I'm pretty darn stoked:

Obviously, it looks like a dog got its teeth around it, but as per usual, for my purposes it's wonderful. And the price was VERY right. I'm hoping it'll make one hell of a painting.

Graig
Old 12-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Christmas must have changed to the first part of the month. I received a wonderful gift from Jimmy (TheKingofclout) today. A beautiful 1942 Type 1 movie still from Pride of the Yankees. Pride of the Yankees is my all time favorite baseball movie and this will have a special place in my collection.
Jimmy is truly one of the good guys in the hobby. Thanks Jimmy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prideoftheyankeescooper.jpg (58.7 KB, 313 views)
Old 12-07-2011, 12:58 AM

Default 1958 Giants Pinback P/U....ever seen it?

Photobucket

Last Sunday I picked up the Giants pinback above at the monthly Alameda Point Antiques Fair...I researched Milton F. Kreis...turns out it was a waffle shop...smack dab in the middle of downtown San Francisco...right at Union Square...

The wording seems strange.." I like S.F. Giants in 58" "....Why did they include "in 58'"?...I speculate they may have given these pins out in anticipation of the Giants arriving from NY...I just don't know...Has anyone seen this pin before?

It was interesting to research...Milton F. Kreis had restaurants in S.F., Beverly Hills, L.A., Palm Springs, and Dayton Ohio...I beleive the one in Beverely Hills was renown...It was known as the "Milton F. Kreis drugstore and luncheonette"..and was located in the Beverley Wilshire Hotel....sounds like the kind of of lace Lana Turner was discovered.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then researching it I came upon another interesting though quite distantly related aspect of the Milton F. Kreis San Francisco restaurant...the building it was in was the Elkan Gunst Building...The owner Mose Gunst named it after his son Elkan who died from a football injury in 1906 at the age of sixteen playing for San Mateo High....and his brother named...."Carlton" reportadley died at sixteen from the flu...

http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=003iYP
yes, the story is true. morgan arthur gunst (my grandfather) had two brothers, Elkan and Carlton. Both of them died at age sixteen, Elkan of a football injury, Carlton of influenza (I believe). Mose Gunst had the building built in Elkan's honor. my family maintained offices in the Gunst building for many years. I believe the architect was Willis Polk.

Also, regarding the second pin that says Los Angeles...I figure that has to be a UCLA pin...the bear is the state imblem...not Los Angeles' imblem...anyone seen it before?

Photobucket

Also at Alameda l picked up some 70's Stanford sports posters...the best one above...on card stock....schedule poster...27x20.5 inch 1974...Guy Benjamin’s rookie year...went on the play back-up QB to Joe Montana with S.F....Bill Walsh was an assistant coach for Stanford in 74’...got that.plus three other basketall schedule posters...Everything pinbacks and posters...all for $50.00...lotta bang for the buck...Not my kind of stuff so it'll all go on eBay.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
I actually got these very end end of last month....but November has come and gone so I'll post it here

Photobucket

Above is a pair of D&M baseball cleats from the turn of the century...I got them based on I know early high top cleats hardly exsist and the sellers claim they were the best he'd handled in his career...I beleive they're the first pair of early high tops I've seen for sale...They must have been stored in a well sealed trunk as I've never seen leather from the turn of the century so supple...it's like they're brand new!...though the soles appear to have very slight wear...and the tag is mint!...phew!

Photobucket

The same dealer said the same thing about this melon ball...best he'd ever handled...and that got my attention...hated to spend the money but I know melon footballs...and I knew the rounded shape was very early....Sure enough when I held it I was blown away....it's the oldest football I've ever seen in person...the patina screams 1880 even though the leather is supple....Plus another big bonus was it was found at Girard College in Philadelphia...so I know it's American!!!....at least played with in America...that's a whole lengthy subject of it's own as far as imported footballs in the late 19th century...I wish I had the time to do a deep research story on it...Anyway...took me twenty five years to find a ball this good!...It's filled with some kind of polly fill to hold it's shape. I was considering having a bladder put in but may leave it as is...I was told if I took the laces apart there might be a makers mark inside...but I hate to disturb it.

The only other melon football I've seen this good was one I saw last May in the Yale trophy room...which you can read about here...that one would shut down north America!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Awesome pickups, there Carlton!
My one question is how the hell did someone wear those early D & M high- topped baseball spikes and yet the original tag remains intact. That's pretty incredible in it's own right!

Beautiful football and baseball spikes- first rate pickups for your incredible collection!
Old 12-07-2011, 04:56 AM

Default 1958 Giants pin - Carlton question

The wording seems strange.." I like S.F. Giants in 58" "....Why did they include "in 58'"?...I speculate they may have given these pins out in anticipation of the Giants arriving from NY...I just don't know...Has anyone seen this pin before?

Carlton,
I have not seen this '58 Giants pinback before, but I would suspect that you are absolutely correct. 1958 was obviously the year that baseball and the San Francisco Giants came to northern California. Neat 1st year SF Giants pickup.

The rest of your research is pretty amazing. Cool!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:26 AM

Congrats Carlton on yet another stellar pick-up!

Just got home from work and was very pleased to see that I had won this terrific 1961 Maris & Mantle Baseball Cap...

1961-MM-Baseball-Cap-1.jpg1961-MM-Baseball-Cap-2.jpg

1961-MM-Baseball-Cap-3.jpg1961-MM-Baseball-Cap-7.jpg

1961-MM-Baseball-Cap-6.jpg
Old 12-07-2011, 03:41 PM

Default Thanks

See post below...Leon, Snafu, please delete this post

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 12-07-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:12 PM

Default Thanks

Scott and Jimmy, thanks for kind words...And Jimmy that Maris Mantle hat is really something...First one I've seen...if I saw that at at a flea market I'd knock over tables getting to it!!...just don't wear it while you're gardening...

I'm still hoping someone can supply more info on the pinbacks....I've never collected or known much about pinbacks...just that they're huge in the hobby...Although I did just recently get outbid on the Yellow Kid Harvard one below on eBay...There was also another one for Princeton listed. I never really knew much about Yellow Kid either till I looked into him for that pin...

Photobucket
Sold for $23.77 on eBay - 3 bids

Photobucket
Sold for $26.00 on eBay - 3 bids

Photobucket

Yellow Kid was drawn by Richard F. Outcault for New York City newspapers from about 1895 to 1900, as the main charater of "Hogan's Alley" comic strip...I guess it was the first newspaper comic strip but the style used was based on political cartoons of the day...and from what I can tell it was quite odd...the Yellow Kid was based on a poor kid from the slums of New York City....and spoke in garbled urban Englsih writtten on his shirt...strange but charming from what I can tell....and quite cleaver at poking fun of current events of the day....Yellow Kid fits right in with my interest in the newspaper business.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yellow_Kid
The Yellow Kid's head was drawn wholly shaved as if having been recently ridden of lice, a common sight among children in New York's tenement ghettos at the time. His nightshirt, a hand-me-down from an older sister, was white or pale blue in the first color strips

Photobucket

Photobucket

Back to December P/U's...I forgot to include the Henry Armstrong poster below from last Sunday's Alameda Point show...so add another $20.00 to that $50.00 I spent!...Have never seen it before. Though not as renown as Joe Louis and Jack Dempsey, Henry Armstrong was a major fighter with a huge record....The seller told me it was a newspaper stand insert poster...and that The Mirror and Daily News was a Los Angeles newspaper...After a cursory search I learned from the website above that the "The Mirror and Daily News" was only named that for about one year 1954-55...and that it had preceeding and succeeding names....So that's cool I know aprox. what year it's from....The seller said he had three total and I got the last one...I think it will look real good with a black frame....little water stain but not bad.

Preceding Titles:
Daily news. (Los Angeles, Calif.) 1941-1954
The mirror. (Los Angeles, Calif.) 1948-1954
Succeeding Titles:
Mirror news. (Los Angeles [Calif.]) 1955-1960

21 1/4" x 13 1/2"
Photobucket

Old 12-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Al

Default pick ups

Hi Carlton,
Your pin is known as a welcome pin and you are right its about the Giants moving from New York to San Fran. It is listed in Pauls book and it does say that Milton F Kreis was a drug store on Powell and Geary Streets. Listed as pin C-5 has a value at between 75-150.

Last edited by batsballsbases; 09-11-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Al

Default pick ups

Jimmy,
Love that mantle maris cap. I cant ever remember seeing that one. Nice to see the 1961 copyright. Here is a pin I picked up which I never saw before also. 3 1/4 inch in size. From the shell oil co. Very happy to get this one Jimmy1

Last edited by batsballsbases; 09-11-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:26 PM

Default Giants

Nice pickup Carlton. There were a handful of businesses that participated in the welcoming with buttons in the same style. Here's another. There's a Lefty O'Doul's one that I just missed out on at a show once that I'd like to have.
Photobucket
Old 12-08-2011, 10:25 PM

I missed this snap when Heritage sold it a while back. The winner slabbed it--wadda ya gonna do?
Anyway, happy to have it now.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
I missed this snap when Heritage sold it a while back. The winner slabbed it--wadda ya gonna do?
Anyway, happy to have it now.

David,
Awesome pickup!!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:49 AM

Thanks, Scott. BTW, that no-hit ticket collection of yours is simply incredible!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:15 AM

Default Hey Carlton. That Yellow Kid made me think of this...

Separated at Birth?

yellow-kid.jpgyellow-boy.jpg
Old 12-09-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
absolutely!!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:52 AM
Scott

LOVE THAT MOVIE and dueling Banjo's scene
Old 12-09-2011, 01:28 PM

Default Thanks all

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Hi Carlton,
Your pin is known as a welcome pin and you are right its about the Giants moving from New York to San Fran. It is listed in Pauls book and it does say that Milton F Kreis was a drug store on Powell and Geary Streets. Listed as pin C-5 has a value at between 75-150.
Al, Thanks for digging that out...you nailed that one....Those price guides always seem soft so that's a good thing. I emailed the honorable Mark Macrea and he didn't recall it so I knew for sure when Mark hadn't seen it it was rare. That Blast'um Bombers is great...This pinback has opened up another world for me...I've tradionally been into bigger stuff...posters, signs, statues etc.

Andy, thanks for posting another example...It doesn't get any earlier than before they got there...I like it when the date is right on something...a trophy, a poster, a pinback or what ever...it's huge.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Mike H.

I've been after one of these Connie Mack banks for a long time. This one is in fantastic condition. I had no idea they are as large as they are. I placed one of the common banks we have all seen many times as a size reference.

I was happy to add some new pinbacks as well. The Briggs Stadium pin is a tough one to find.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Adam B

Mike- That Athletics bank is in real nice shape. More often than not these are found with condition issues such as scratches and dents. I am glad it went to you. Great pick-up, they don't surface too often. Adam
Old 12-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Dan Bretta

Picked up an interesting Nebraska Indians postcard...the seller did not know these players were from Green's Nebraska Indians..and I had to set my photobucket to private last week so nobody else would figure it out.

I knew as soon as I saw the auction that these guys played for the NI because I already had this postcard in my collection..same uniforms and same exact photo studio.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Not real vintage but I'm jazzed just the same. A signed 1962 Post Cereal card of Roger Maris.
Leaves just Del Webb to complete the entire 61 team.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marispost.jpg (67.1 KB, 219 views)
Old 12-11-2011, 01:38 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
I'm still hoping someone can supply more info on the pinbacks....I've never collected or known much about pinbacks...just that they're huge in the hobby...Although I did just recently get outbid on the Yellow Kid Harvard one below on eBay...There was also another one for Princeton listed. I never really knew much about Yellow Kid either till I looked into him for that pin...

Photobucket
Sold for $23.77 on eBay - 3 bids

Photobucket
Sold for $26.00 on eBay - 3 bids

Photobucket
Yellow Kid is indeed widely considered to be the first "comic character" though his "strips" were typically single-panel gags. He was also one of the first characters to be licensed for product advertising, and you'll see his image in lots more places than just newspapers and buttons of the period. The buttons you saw on eBay look to be from a numbered series of 155 Yellow Kid buttons produced in 1896-98, though I can't make out the numbers in the photos due to the bad discoloration. The buttons are listed in Ted Hake's button books, and you could probably match them up to better-looking exemplars if you dig enough in the Hake's Americana completed auction listings. Most of the other buttons in the series have country flags or generic sayings, so ones referencing a specific university would likely carry a premium.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Clint

Awesome Dan, great find!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:56 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Yellow Kid is indeed widely considered to be the first "comic character" though his "strips" were typically single-panel gags. He was also one of the first characters to be licensed for product advertising, and you'll see his image in lots more places than just newspapers and buttons of the period. The buttons you saw on eBay look to be from a numbered series of 155 Yellow Kid buttons produced in 1896-98, though I can't make out the numbers in the photos due to the bad discoloration. The buttons are listed in Ted Hake's button books, and you could probably match them up to better-looking exemplars if you dig enough in the Hake's Americana completed auction listings. Most of the other buttons in the series have country flags or generic sayings, so ones referencing a specific university would likely carry a premium.
Lance, Thanks for the info on Yellow Kid pins...good to know...Today I went out antique'n...didn't find much but my eyes are now tracking pinbacks as I comb the show....

Photobucket

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180773070828...84.m1555.l2649
By the way....plug plug...that 58' Giants welcome pin is now on eBay, link above...currently has 8 days left.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:11 PM

Default New 1938 Vandy photo

From The Sporting News photo archive- 1938.
I purchased this from net54 member Rhys Yeakley.
Nice late 2011 pickup!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnny Vander Meer 1938 dugout photo.jpg (29.8 KB, 342 views)
Old 12-15-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Picked up an interesting Nebraska Indians postcard...the seller did not know these players were from Green's Nebraska Indians..and I had to set my photobucket to private last week so nobody else would figure it out.

I knew as soon as I saw the auction that these guys played for the NI because I already had this postcard in my collection..same uniforms and same exact photo studio.

That's the kind of sleuthing I can really appreciate. This is the fun advantage for those of us that collect "obscure" memorabilia--but it does take some work.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Graig Kreindler

WONDERFUL photo of Vandy, Scott! That bit of light slithering onto his foot and into the dugout is really something else. I know I say it again and again, but it would make a frikkin' cool painting!!

Graig

Last edited by GKreindler; 12-15-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Mikeknapp

I picked up these photos this month Dean 1939, Aparicio 1956, Newhauser 1945, Huggins & McKechnie 1928, Kiner 1950, Irvin 1953, Lopez 1945, Duroucher 1947, Schoendinst 1955. Getting these took some of the sting out of not being a player in Henry Yee's auction this year. They were a obtained a whole lot cheaper as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dean Aparicio Newhauser.jpg (80.3 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg Huggins_Kiner_Irvin.jpg (83.0 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg Lopez Duroucher Shoendinst.jpg (91.1 KB, 320 views)
Old 12-15-2011, 11:57 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Default gehrig stuff

I was happy to bounce back from the shellacking I took at the Henry Yee auction with a couple of nice lots.

Knot Hole League membership card with mailing envelope.

Group of Gehrig pins. Not high end but fill ins for now at a reasonable price

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 12-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Rawn Hill

Kendall picked this up today in a flea market. The stitching appears to be red and blue colored. heavily shellcked and weighted, really interesting mechanism on the lighter. A few of the sigs remain, but have no idea whom they might be, any help is appreciated.

Thanx, Rawn

Taking offers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00990.jpg (36.6 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00992.jpg (34.7 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00993.jpg (34.2 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00994.jpg (34.3 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00996.jpg (34.0 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00999.jpg (32.0 KB, 257 views)
Old 12-17-2011, 02:37 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Well... you've got Rabbit Maranville, Frank Frisch and Lefty Grove for starters... three pretty good HOFers. If you can post some more/clearer pics, perheps we can help you more. I am pretty close to identifying a couple of oothers, but my small cell phone screen and bad eyes are keeping me from making any definitive determination. I bet some others here (with a full monitor) can chime in with more...

Great pickup... I just love the oddball stuff from this golden era
Old 12-17-2011, 02:49 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Is that Beans Reardon on the ball too?

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 12-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Rawn Hill

Here's some more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01004.jpg (38.2 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01005.jpg (39.2 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01006.jpg (36.8 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01007.jpg (33.3 KB, 313 views)
Old 12-17-2011, 02:58 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Lefty O'Doul?

1913 Cravats pennants

Old 12-17-2011, 03:00 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

I wonder if it was a ball signed by guys who went on the 1931 tour of Japan.

1913 Cravats pennants

Old 12-17-2011, 03:02 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Tom Oliver, Bruce Cunningham...

http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Aucti...igned-Baseball

1913 Cravats pennants

Old 12-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Rawn Hill

No idea, the bottom says 1918. Doesn't seem to fit the players. Nice link, thx Chris.

Rawn

Last edited by carrigansghost; 12-17-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:09 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

These are interesting too (lighters):

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...&lotIdNo=17004

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/i...=173&lot_qual=

http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Aucti...seball-Lighter

1913 Cravats pennants

Old 12-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Rawn Hill

Same mechanism on the lighter.

Rawn
Old 12-17-2011, 03:35 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Rawn,
Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night, but I can swear that 2 sigs below Lefty Grove reads Lou Gehrig.
Given the names on the ball so far, I think the 1918 date maybe was added later?

Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 12-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Rawn Hill

I know a 14 year old boy that is going to be happy in a week. Love you guys.

Rawn
Old 12-17-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Rawn,
Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night, but I can swear that 2 sigs below Lefty Grove reads Lou Gehrig.
Given the names on the ball so far, I think the 1918 date maybe was added later?

Mark
Yep. That's Gehrig. And you've got Frank (Lefty) O'Doul. That's a tour of Japan ball.
Nice going!

Last edited by David Atkatz; 12-17-2011 at 03:49 PM.