NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2010, 06:30 PM

Default Need Advice on where to sell a card: 1887 Old Judge Honest John Kelly

Hi All! New member here. I'm usually active at the Collectors Universe (CU) forums (usually PCGS), so I'm more of a coin guy. I've collected baseball cards in my childhood, of course it was during 1988 through 1992, which are apparently the most over-produced cards on the planet, haha. Anyhow, about 15 years ago I decided to purchase a couple of older cards to have in my collection. One was a seemingly common Bergen T206 (Brooklyn) card. The other was an 1887 Old Judge Baseball card for some Umpire named Kelly.

Looked like it might be a little bit rarer so after posting it on the Sports card section of CU, the guys pointed out a PSA 2 that sold for $440 recently. Link is here...

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...x?lotid=112000

Figure I'd send mine to SCG for grading. Came back 40/VG/3 (however SGC grades are written out). Pretty exciting!! So the question now is... what's the best way to sell this thing? And, if a 2 went for around $440, could anyone estimate what this one could fetch?

I saw a couple of Registry sets on SGC for the N172 Old Judge sets. Do you think it would be "bad form" to email some participants there seeing if they would be interested?

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Nice looking card, also a tough to difficult to find subject.

A few points about Old Judges...
1. Technical grade on the flip doesn't mean nearly as much as it does with almost every other set out there.

2. Since these are small photographs, the photo quality is VERY important and yours is far superior to the one recently sold in the Legendary Auction in that regard.

Regardless of how you go about selling it I would be shocked if you got less than $450-500 for that particular card with that photo quality, grade, etc. I don't know that you need to go the major auction route as I think if you started it even on ebay with a $399 starting bid it would garner quite a few bids and you'd be happy with the results. If you are fairly new to this area of collecting this is my suggestion on how to sell it (the $399 number is only to protect it from slipping through the cracks which I doubt it would have)

Also, you may have already gotten a private message or two from the members here--99.9% of the guys here are stand up guys and wouldn't be looking to take advantage of you.

Good luck with your card.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 12-10-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:29 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

It's a nice card and a scarcer than average pose. Two things make the card even more interesting.

1. It is an umpire card and there are only a few in the Old Judge set
2. John Kelly was also, at one point, the manager of the Louisville AA team. His cards as a manager are virtually impossible to find so any Louisville collector who wants an image of him is forced to get the umpire card.

For this card the condition is about average, and I would think that if you listed it on Ebay you would do better than the auction realization on the SGC20, whether you used a reserve or not. Good luck with the card.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Craig

Agree with everything Rhett says
The image on yours is superior to the psa 2
Old 12-11-2010, 07:46 AM
Frank Wakefield

To sell that you could put it on eBay, sell it here in the B/S/T, contact any of the banner advertisers...

If I was trying to sell it for the most money the quickest I'd call Bill Goodwin, and mail that card to him. 314 308-4649.

Wish you well with it.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Joe Gonsowski

I won the PSA2 example in Legendary and would very much like to upgrade to an example with better photo quality. Let us know how you decide to part with it, congrats on a nice card.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 12-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Frank Wakefield

An update to my post... You may well do better selling that card directly to Mr. Gonsowski. So I now think you contact Joe first, then go to Mr. Goodwin as a fallback position. I've sold several N172 HOFers through Mr. Goodwin, a smooth, confidence instilling, successful transaction every time.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 12-11-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Banned

If you decide to go the route of an auction house, before choosing one I would do a search using the Net54 archive (using the various auction houses' names -- Legendary, REA, Huggins & Scott, Mastro, SCP, Goodwin, etc. -- as keywords). You'll find a lot of interesting, eye-opening and useful info that should help you make a good decision.

Last edited by Rob D.; 12-11-2010 at 10:29 AM.