NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-08-2015, 05:13 PM

Default Family Heirloom Or Not?

I have a Ruth ball that has been in my family forever. My father in law gave it to me in 1982 and we never knew the authenticity of it other than it was for sure not one of the Sinclair Oil secretarial signatures. About a year and a half ago I took it to get authenticated by one of the top two authenticators in the business who will remain unnamed. Although their synopsis albeit wasn't unfavorable I have since read horror stories even about the top two on authentication foo bars that I am at a loss as to who I would trust to evaluate it. I am not willing to mail it anywhere for obvious reasons. (I traveled 500 miles with it in hand last time.) Does anyone have any suggestions as to who may be a good resource on Ruth's that I could approach about this. I would be willing to send them photos and then later arrange a meeting if deemed credible. Please advise if any of you big time collectors have any on this. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2015, 05:31 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgebuster View Post
I have a Ruth ball that has been in my family forever. My father in law gave it to me in 1982 and we never knew the authenticity of it other than it was for sure not one of the Sinclair Oil secretarial signatures. About a year and a half ago I took it to get authenticated by one of the top two authenticators in the business who will remain unnamed. Although their synopsis albeit wasn't unfavorable I have since read horror stories even about the top two on authentication foo bars that I am at a loss as to who I would trust to evaluate it. I am not willing to mail it anywhere for obvious reasons. (I traveled 500 miles with it in hand last time.) Does anyone have any suggestions as to who may be a good resource on Ruth's that I could approach about this. I would be willing to send them photos and then later arrange a meeting if deemed credible. Please advise if any of you big time collectors have any on this. Thanks!

Hello!

You have a couple options. If you're just interested in knowing the authenticity, please post a photo and some experts here will be happy to help. If you are looking to sell the ball, I would suggest PSA/DNA or JSA. There are some horror stories (few and far between), but no one will deny the value their word brings in an auction.

Jason
Old 02-08-2015, 05:46 PM

Default Thanks Jason

I will never sell the ball. My son in law is a pro photographer and I think he took some really good pics of it a year or so ago. I will post it on here if I can get them from him. My pics won't do it justice! Of the companies you mentioned it was one of those I took it to. I am fairly confident this ball is genuine due to its history of when my father in law got it-long before the master forgers were mass producing vintage stuff I can only assume. The only COA it has is the LOA from the company I took it to of course. Thanks again I will try to post those pics soon.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:54 AM

I don't understand what you are looking for. You state that you want to know the authenticity, but you won't submit it to anyone or post a photo so that some of the members on here with many years of experience can render an opinion. Are we supposed to ok it based on your story? It doesn't work that way.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:39 AM
John Hanssen

We also have a Sinclair Oil secretarial signature ball in our family. I also did the research to see if any of these ball were ever really by Ruth. Short story is that history of these balls are wide known. No matter how good the family back story is about it being a true Ruth signature, getting a company like JSA to auth a Sinclair Ruth is not likely going happen. I've tracked the sell of them over the years and the sell for around $200-300 range. Our ball also will never leave famiy, it's still fun to own even if ghost signed.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:21 AM

No John I just couldn't get the pic from my son in law. He is a procrastinator. I am going to post it here in a few for some opinions.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:02 AM

Default Photo Upload Problem

I can't seem to get the photo to upload for some reason. It is in a jpeg file. Maybe too large? Any advice?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I can't seem to get the photo to upload for some reason. It is in a jpeg file. Maybe too large? Any advice?
I told you (in my email back to you) to send me the file and I will help. It is probably too big or a bad format to post here. A lot of phone pics are difficult (if that is what it is)...LL
Old 02-09-2015, 08:50 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Upload to someplace like photobucket and then post a link to this site. That's how I do it anyway.

Tom C
Old 02-10-2015, 12:31 AM
Mic.hel.le. Plo.ur.de

If it's a cell phone photo that's too large, another "easy" method is to email the photo to yourself. After you add the photo to the email, you can change the size of the file to small. Then send the email and save the photo in that email. It will post fine
Old 02-10-2015, 07:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The picture was 27MB.....you guys can figure the over on it but our system will allow uploads of about 80kb.....and will resize things automatically at about 1.5mb and lower. Over that size and it probably won't work. Here is the ball in question...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruth.jpg (75.6 KB, 215 views)
Old 02-10-2015, 07:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
Upload to someplace like photobucket and then post a link to this site. That's how I do it anyway.

Tom C
If this would have been posted to the board in photobucket, at that size, it might have brought the board down or you would have a picture the size of (5) 24" monitors.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Belltown Vintage

Well, he's right about one thing - it's not a Sinclair ball.

Also provides a moment for philosophical reflection: "Forever" isn't as long as we sometimes think.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:50 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Well, he's right about one thing - it's not a Sinclair ball.

Also provides a moment for philosophical reflection: "Forever" isn't as long as we sometimes think.
Like last month? You cant be serious can you? Ball is trash! But I do find the storys about these garbage balls entertaining from time to time.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:08 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I do not think this ball will get certed...it is very suspect. " Forever" seems to be a relative open-ended term used to help legitimize autographs.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The picture was 27MB.....you guys can figure the over on it but our system will allow uploads of about 80kb.....and will resize things automatically at about 1.5mb and lower. Over that size and it probably won't work. Here is the ball in question...
27 MB- Yowser!!
Old 02-15-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
27 MB- Yowser!!