NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-18-2004, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Default Chicago Sun Times

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

this weekend.........worth coming up for? Anyone? What are the hours on Friday/Saturday? Thanks in advance for any info...........

Old 03-18-2004, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

Tom, I've found the quality of the Sun-Times show varies wildly from one time to another. It's not as big as Fort Washington, but it's also less predictable. I have made some great finds there, and also been quite disappointed. There aren't a large number of vintage (prewar) dealers who attend, so it just depends on who's got what at that time.

Tim

Old 03-18-2004, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

I'll agree with Tim here. I've made decent finds at Sun-Times shows but those have been few and far between. Lately (past 2 years) they have been pretty much the same offerings show after show.

Old 03-18-2004, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

hrs friday 5:30-9:30
sat 9:30-5:00
sun 9:30-4:00
not a bad show, hit or miss

Old 03-18-2004, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy

sorry about the no-name post

Old 03-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I agree, the Sun Times shows have been lame the past few years with less and less vintage material each time. Wait till Sportsfest, seems to be a little better than the Sun Times show.

Old 03-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H

This is likely the last of these shows I will attend. Seriously lame. I couldn't even submit my cards to SGC that I have been holding onto because they weren't there (PSA, GAI & BGS were).

Old 03-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

Worst Sun Times show I have been to; practically no vintage material available at all.

Old 03-20-2004, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

'Twas indeed a dog, and the absence of SGC was particularly aggravating since they had said in their email ads that they would be there.

So I got a chance to deal with GAI, which was an intermittently worrisome experience. One of the guys I spoke to seemed to know nothing at all about cards. The others were more knowledgeable and wanted to be helpful, but there was always a gap between what they said their procedures were, and what actually happened. But the last guy Mike Flint (?) seemed on the ball and hopefully will be mailing my six precious newly slabbed M101-4/5 back to me soon.... I hated to let them out of my sight, but I guess you guys all do this and MOST of the time you get them back, right?

Tim

Old 03-21-2004, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

This show was really a interesting experience for me. Disappointing on some levels but encouraging on others. For me personally I found nothing new but broke down and bought my first M101-4s, or are they M101-5s. I'll find out.

Disappointments:
- NO new vintage material. Even the two guys who usually have a little something for me had nothing new. Same supply of WAY over priced cards though.

- Had to go to PSA to get 3 cards graded. I'll explain more later after I have some feedback from another collector and I want to be fair before I mention anything.

- SGC wasn't there and like Brian I had a box of cards to submit. Them not being there can't be a good thing can it?

- Lorenzo Lamas was there. Why??? Of course a Playboy playmate was there as well and (forgive me Julie) I didn't care why - I was just happy for few moments.

BUT...

Good News!!!:

- I thought the turn out was better than in the past. I was nice to see the larger crowds and what seemed to me more kids/parents and I caught a few instances of dealers or dads explaining to their kids what certain cards wre and who certain players were. To me that's got to be good for the future of the hobby as I don't recall seeing much of that the last few years.

Lasting impresson: As I was going through a pile of cards and experinceing de-ja-vu (sic?) a boy about 6 or 7 at the next table was buying his first Sammy Sosa card (with $$$ help from dad I'm sure). He was so excited to have that card and was looking at it like it was the only card on earth. I couldn't help but think about how years ago I had that feeling opening a pack of .15¢ cards and finging my favorite Cub player. I spend a lot more than ,15¢ on cards these days but I can't help but feel I have lost that same excitement.

Old 03-21-2004, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Just for a comparison I attended the Gloria Rothstein Show in Westchester, NY yesterday. If there is a worse large show in the country I'de like to know about it. Ten dollars to get in and two dealers with any somewhat interesting vintage material (one being Ron Vitro). The only good news I could see at the show was that the guy who was selling knock off DVDs at a prior show was no longer there. Why someone can't put on a good show in the greater New York area is a mystery to me. Oh, and no grading service set up at this show.

Old 03-21-2004, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

Pete,
That's what this hobby is all about. I just gave my neighbors son a box of about 1000 star cards from the 90's and the mother told me that day was the longest time the Father and son had spent with each other this year. I just love to see the innocence of this hobby. That's what makes it fun again. Great story!!!!

Old 03-21-2004, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

It doesn't happen too often to adults, so grab it when you can. I sort of get it when I'm browsing the Mastro Americana catalog and see all those non-sport gum cards - most of them were only distributed for a short period of time, so it's easy to re-kindle the memories of what you were doing at the time you collected them. My favorites as a kid were the Green Hornet, '66 Batman (color photos), and those weird paintings of huge monsters in automobiles - I think they were stickers.

Old 03-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I forget who did the art but about 5 years ago, they made a series of 5 statues based on these cards and were dead on to the artwork (monsters driving cars). I passed on them because the wholesale price was over $500 for the set. I remember one of them called Rat Fink with a rat driving the vehicle.

Jay

Old 03-21-2004, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H

A bit off topic but its been bugging me.

Old 03-21-2004, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Go to the FAQ, it's all explained there.

Old 03-21-2004, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

Just did mine. Checking to see if it works!!

Old 03-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: effe

I was there on Sat., and agree there wasn't much vintage material. I've been driving down to the show from Milwaukee for the past 4/5 years and this was the largest crowd I've seen. I did find a 1933 Diamond Silver matchbook of Clarke Hinkle (one of the two Packers I still needed). I also found a nice old Minn. Gophers pennant at the monthly flea market in Wheaton on Sun.