NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-12-2024, 06:41 AM
Mike

Arrow Topps "High Number" cards question...

Here is a question that maybe i should already know the answer to. Ive been just casually collecting over the years and just recently been into the 1971 Topps cards. I see "high series" number cards selling for quite a bit more.
What makes these harder to get? Were these released into later packs and not included in the initial release? ...And again, i kind of feel i should already know the answer to this....but i honestly dont.
Thanks for the input!
Mike
Old 06-12-2024, 07:22 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Until 1973, cards were released in series, and the high numbers were released last. Sometimes, stores didn't need as many, if they still had unsold cards from previous series in stock. So, they may have ordered fewer, or none, of the last series. They knew once baseball season ended, kids would be buying cards of other sports, and unsold baseball cards would be dead inventory.

Others can elaborate further, but that's it in a nutshell.
Old 06-12-2024, 07:43 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Until 1973, cards were released in series, and the high numbers were released last. Sometimes, stores didn't need as many, if they still had unsold cards from previous series in stock. So, they may have ordered fewer, or none, of the last series. They knew once baseball season ended, kids would be buying cards of other sports, and unsold baseball cards would be dead inventory.

Others can elaborate further, but that's it in a nutshell.
Ok, makes sense, i kinda thought it was along those lines but just wanted verification from other collectors. I was eyeballing a 71 Topps Richie Allen card #650 which to me would seem like a normal common card. i cannot find one under $20 it seems.
Thanks for clearing this up for me
Old 06-12-2024, 12:51 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aug06 View Post
Ok, makes sense, i kinda thought it was along those lines but just wanted verification from other collectors. I was eyeballing a 71 Topps Richie Allen card #650 which to me would seem like a normal common card. i cannot find one under $20 it seems.
Thanks for clearing this up for me
Many people, including me, expect Allen to be elected to the Hall of Fame the next ballot he's on, which I believe is in a couple years. I paid north of $14k for his 1967 game used flannel jersey, based on that expectation. My advice is to grab that card
Old 06-12-2024, 01:51 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Many people, including me, expect Allen to be elected to the Hall of Fame the next ballot he's on, which I believe is in a couple years. I paid north of $14k for his 1967 game used flannel jersey, based on that expectation. My advice is to grab that card
I will take that advice....the hunt is now on for a 71 Topps Richie Allen..Thanks
Old 06-12-2024, 07:58 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Just don't mind the Topps photographer's invasive knee.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:48 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Just don't mind the Topps photographer's invasive knee.

LOL...I had no clue what you meant...then i looked...haha...i dont think i ever would of noticed that