NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 06-04-2016, 03:45 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Speaking of raw in a binder, you guys who have your small Bowmans stored this way, do you use standard size pocket pages or something smaller for Bowman?
I store mine in standard size pocket pages (9) and it works great!

jeff
Old 06-04-2016, 04:04 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
I store mine in standard size pocket pages (9) and it works great!

jeff
Thanks, Jeff. I might go that route, or I might use 4-pocket 3-1/2" x 5" pages with the cards in Card Saver Is inside of these binders: http://www.unikeep.com/binders-and-a...h-overlay.html. I really like these, and they are stackable.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:46 PM
Kin K.

I tried the four-pocket/semi-rigid method with my 1960 Parkhurst Indianapois Speedway Winners set myself and loved it so much that I use it for all my vintage racing, including pre-war.

As I get further along in the vintage football sets I've started, I will put them in the four pockets as well.

Good luck and have fun on your journey with the set!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Thanks, Jeff. I might go that route, or I might use 4-pocket 3-1/2" x 5" pages with the cards in Card Saver Is inside of these binders: http://www.unikeep.com/binders-and-a...h-overlay.html. I really like these, and they are stackable.
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 01-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Jay Shelton

Kind of resurrecting an old thread, but since my last post over a year ago, I now have 46 cards in the set. Working slow but steady! So, since a post in October of 2016 to January of 2018, I've picked up an additional 20 cards.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:44 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
Kind of resurrecting an old thread, but since my last post over a year ago, I now have 46 cards in the set. Working slow but steady! So, since a post in October of 2016 to January of 2018, I've picked up an additional 20 cards.
Congrats, Jay! Keep up the great work and enjoy the set.

jeff
Old 01-17-2018, 08:31 PM
Sam Lemoine

Fantastic progress. Earlier, we posted about different sized sheets. About a year ago I bought some 10 pocket sheets and they fit the 51 Bowmans perfectly! You should check them out.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Jay Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
Fantastic progress. Earlier, we posted about different sized sheets. About a year ago I bought some 10 pocket sheets and they fit the 51 Bowmans perfectly! You should check them out.
Hi, Sam, and thanks! Regarding the 10 pocket sheets; are they Ultra Pro brand?
Old 06-04-2016, 04:19 PM
Scott Gerace

I store my ungraded cards as singles in Ultra Pro holders.

I too am drawn to the artwork. Another cool thing about the 1951 Bowman Football set is that it wasn't just a re-cropped, re-issue of the previous years art the way that the Baseball set seems to have been. I would estimate that at least half of the artwork in the 1950 Baseball set was reissued the following year (Ted Williams, Warren Spahn, Casey Stengel, etc...).

The lead artist for the Gum Inc & Bowman sets (Baseball, Football, Non-sports) was a guy named Charles Steinbacher. Below is a link the the philly.com website about his family discovering some of the artwork that he produced for the George Moll Advertising Agency. Sorry it deals with mostly the Non-sports cards (I found it interesting though).

http://articles.philly.com/1993-09-2...l-war-war-news
Old 06-04-2016, 04:38 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_GERACE View Post
I store my ungraded cards as singles in Ultra Pro holders.

I too am drawn to the artwork. Another cool thing about the 1951 Bowman Football set is that it wasn't just a re-cropped, re-issue of the previous years art the way that the Baseball set seems to have been. I would estimate that at least half of the artwork in the 1950 Baseball set was reissued the following year (Ted Williams, Warren Spahn, Casey Stengel, etc...).

The lead artist for the Gum Inc & Bowman sets (Baseball, Football, Non-sports) was a guy named Charles Steinbacher. Below is a link the the philly.com website about his family discovering some of the artwork that he produced for the George Moll Advertising Agency. Sorry it deals with mostly the Non-sports cards (I found it interesting though).

http://articles.philly.com/1993-09-2...l-war-war-news
Scott, I have traditionally stored my cards as singles, but this time I am thinking of trying something a little different.

For a long time I couldn't quite decide which type of card drew me in the most. I do like photographic aspects of some cards (though usually not simple black and white), but I find the drawings/paintings of card issues the most compelling...when they are done well. Many folks I am surrounded by are exclusively Topps people, but I have increasingly become a Bowman guy. There is just something about '50, '51, and '52 Bowman baseball and football. I like the latter two the best. '50 sometimes looks a bit barren with the absence of the team logos, though I can appreciate what some might see as the uncluttered simplicity of the '50s.

You make a great point about the relative originality of the '51 football set's art. The repetition of '50 and '51 Bowman baseball has always bugged me. For example, Ted Williams has the same card in back to back years with the exception of the black box included with the '51s. Topps was even more guilty of this tactic throughout the 1950s. Budgets and bottom lines I guess.

Thanks for the link to the Steinbacher article...interesting read.

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 06-04-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Jay Shelton

Great input (thanks!) and awesome posts so far. I now have eight cards in the set (one on the way) and will post as soon as it arrives. All are commons, and when you see, you'll find mine are in the VG-/VG range, which is okay. Just want to collect cards that are presentable to me and affordable

When I post, you'll also note that centering is not a big deal for me as long as the card looks okay visually.... Thanks for all the posts. I really like the colors on the Ken Carpenter card; the yellow/orange background really makes the card pop!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Scott Gerace

Smile

Jay,
Nothing wrong with collector grade cards. Mine are mostly mid-grade as well (5-6). Very few people can afford the set in high grade (NM or better). I don't mind a soft corner or shift in centering if the price is right and I think that most collectors would agree with that.

I'm looking forward to seeing your cards. Hopefully you got the Jack Zilly card (best looking card in the set imo)!

Take care,
Scott
Old 06-06-2016, 03:11 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_GERACE View Post
Jay,
Nothing wrong with collector grade cards. Mine are mostly mid-grade as well (5-6). Very few people can afford the set in high grade (NM or better). I don't mind a soft corner or shift in centering if the price is right and I think that most collectors would agree with that.

I'm looking forward to seeing your cards. Hopefully you got the Jack Zilly card (best looking card in the set imo)!

Take care,
Scott
Scott, I am right there with you. Mid grade all the way for me. If I tried collecting high grade, I would never finish and wouldn't be any happier.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2016, 06:04 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Here's my L. A. Rams team set:

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox