NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-21-2020, 03:22 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default $10,000

If your paypal account had this amount in it what would be a wise investment to maximize returns in the next 12-24 months? This is strictly an investment question, not a sentimental question.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:29 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I'd go modern. Maybe a 1/1 Barry Bonds card.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:49 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Anyone who knows the best place to park a pile for the next year or two either has a crystal ball or is full of sh*t.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:30 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Jordan star rookie. Value will catch up to the fleer card.

Last edited by Econteachert205; 05-21-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:48 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I'd go modern. Maybe a 1/1 Barry Bonds card.
Modern def has the highest rate of return but also has the highest risk.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:49 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Jordan star rookie. Value will catch up to the fleer card.
Aren't there multiple Jordan star cards? Is there one in particular that is more sought after? What are your thoughts on the Nike Jordan postcard with his signature image?
Old 05-21-2020, 03:19 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
Aren't there multiple Jordan star cards? Is there one in particular that is more sought after? What are your thoughts on the Nike Jordan postcard with his signature image?
The top banana is the 84-5 #101. Every other Star Jordan pales in comparison in terms of significance.

The postcard is just that, not a real card imo although nothing to sneeze at on its own merits.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2020, 05:34 PM

Apple stock. Probably make a killing over the next 12 months as the world begins to open back up.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:43 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Apple stock. Probably make a killing over the next 12 months as the world begins to open back up.
Wow, I never thought I would agree with Packs on anything, but finally an answer that makes some sense.

If you go ask 1000 financial advisers that question, I can absolutely assure you not one would say cards.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:01 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
If your paypal account had this amount in it what would be a wise investment to maximize returns in the next 12-24 months? This is strictly an investment question, not a sentimental question.
I would buy some of the major stocks that have been beaten up because of Covid-19.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:34 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Fyi Apple is within 3% of it's all time high price.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-22-2020, 07:51 AM
H Murphy

"I`ve got one word for you son, plastics".
Old 05-22-2020, 08:27 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

if i had 10k id buy more
brk.b

berkshire hathaway class b stock sitting at 173 -174 per share.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:45 AM
Tim Odeen

My wife would: make me pay off a college loan, or use it as a down payment on a house.

I would: give my wife half the money, use $5k to buy pre-war, probably t206. Get two cards that are out of my reach - Cobb, Matty, Lajoie, Young. Pick up the 93 Jeter SP RC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 05-22-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Fyi Apple is within 3% of it's all time high price.
I held all assets when the market crashed in March and am glad I did. Now my portfolio is worth more than it was pre-crash and if I had pulled out like ten million screamers were telling people to, I would be crushed right now. I'd lost 20% at my lowest point. Lots of people did sell. Bet they're upset about it now.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:45 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Anyone who knows the best place to park a pile for the next year or two either has a crystal ball or is full of sh*t.
More true today than ever, but I personally think "parking a pile" in baseball cards is not a bad idea. I certainly don't know the best place, but I am definitely "full of sh*t".

I just had a conversation with my Mother, and last week with my girlfriend, regarding their investments. No one knows what's going to happen, but given the trillions in paper money we are in the process of creating, permanently lost jobs, businesses re-opening under new conditions with below-sustainable seating, businesses never re-opening - SOMETHING is going to be different in our financial future and it's best to give it some serious thought right now, as the sh*t could be heading toward the fan as early as late Summer.

I recommended that they talk with someone who can at least discuss the nation's economic future - various possibilities over the next couple of years - and decide if they need to move investments. It's a serious enough topic that I might even stop muting the t.v. when William Devane appears.

I personally believe that real estate and tangible assets is the way to go. Cash and stocks could ruin you. Since baseball cards are tangible assets, I think they are a better than normal investment right now. But I would go with the expensive oldies, staying away from the ones that seem to be at abnormally high prices that don't make sense (in your own mind). For instance, I don't think the price on 1933 lower-grade Ruth cards makes any sense, so they wouldn't be part of my portfolio. But you may feel differently. Same for Type I photos that are coming out of the wood-work, but keep going up in price - how long can that last? But that's just my opinion. Maybe for you its stacks of Ken Griffey Jr. rookies - the '80s and '90s stuff that I thought would never go up in value...is going up. Perhaps piles of Babe Ruth photos? I'm personally leaning toward 'unique' and 'rare' old stuff, but again, just my opinion.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:48 AM
Belltown Vintage

Whoops - I forgot to answer the OP's question.

I would just give my $10K to Packs. I've known him virtually for ten years or so, and he's never been wrong about anything.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:50 AM

I don't know how profitable real estate is going to be in the short term though. Commercial real estate is going to tank as companies move to remote formats. Personal real estate is questionable given how many people are out of work and having their evictions frozen for now. But there will be a reckoning when those protections end.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Whoops - I forgot to answer the OP's question.

I would just give my $10K to Packs. I've known him virtually for ten years or so, and he's never been wrong about anything.
Haha give me your 10K and I will buy the most appealing 52 Mantle PSA 1 I can find. In 10 years I think I can double your money.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:03 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
if i had 10k id buy more
brk.b

berkshire hathaway class b stock sitting at 173 -174 per share.
I was in high school when they did their split, in early 2010. I took every penny I had and bought BRK.B, and it's been the best financial decision I've made thus far.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:18 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Interesting question as I am in a similar spot right now.

It depends on what you're looking for.....

Relatively safe/low risk (possibly low growth) - go with the biggies. Playing days Ruth & Mantle

Little more aggressive - go with modern who's legacy is ensured. Jordan (aside from the pumpumentary), Brady, LeBron, Trout

Maximize ROI with some risk - young superstars. Luka, Acuna, Zion, Mahomes.

As stated earlier, just my opinion and if someone says they know what things will look like in 12-24 months, they full of s**t
Old 05-23-2020, 04:31 AM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Just to add in something interesting here.................

I remember when Apple did a nosedive. They had a massive recall somewhere around 2005 or thereabouts.
I had a bit of a "life issue" back then, and lets just say I was in difficult times.

I used to play gin with wealthy friend of mine back then for money. As luck would have it, I had a iPod mini back then.
They issued a massive recall, and I remember telling him point blank "Mr. X you might want to buy Apple now, because they literally have the digital market cornered" (think MP3) "They are going to fix this recall mess up and their stock will rebound". I even said it would rebound in just a few weeks.
Well Mr. X was a bit of a high roller, he didn't want to buy any stock unless he could invest well into the big 6 figures. (and he wanted to do so on his own terms, understandably)
Mr. X called me 6 months later in tears. He told me "If I had invested like you said, do you know how wealthy I would be right now?"

I told Mr. X , "Well I told you to do it".
His next question (as if you don't know where this is going) was "Well if you knew so much, why didn't you invest then".
I'll never forget my answer, "Because I was fucking broke". LOL

A mere $500 back then would have been a crazy amount now. But, what can I say...............

Successful deals with - "HCV123"/Howard Chasser, "ejstel" , "mzljapan" , "aronbenabe" , "Santo10Fan" , " Robextend", "rjackson44", "Wanaselja", "eliminator", "Dboneesq" , "Oneofthree67", "Lucas00", "ccre" , "D. Bergin" and several others.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:36 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

It goes against every bone in my collector body, but PSA 10 rookies of established stars seem to be bulletproof.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:59 AM

I hate to say it, but buying Project 2020 might be your best way to get a return on your money. I bought an Oldmanalan Koufax about a month ago from Topps for 17.50 because I thought it was a beautiful card. It is now selling for 200.00. These cards are on fire. Another way is to run around to Target and Walmart and buy up their 2020 Bowman Baseball. There is a Yankee prospect that is driving that product crazy. If you want a stable investment with low but steady growth, buy the nicest 33 Goudey Ruth, t206 Cobb or 51 Bowman Mantle that you can find for the money.

If I was investing it in stocks I would buy a mutual fund tied to the S&P 500. Rather than bet one one company, bet on the top 500. I think we are going to see a strong rebound in your time frame.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:28 AM
Joe

1986 Fleer Michael Jordan in PSA 7 centered. You could purchase 5. As the 8’s and 9’s continue to rise the 7’s will follow suit. Or the Sticker in 8. Same theory. One thing I will guarantee, they will never go down.

Last edited by 2dueces; 05-25-2020 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:46 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I have the sinking feeling many of these comments wont age well.

When your neighbor is buying cards because he can flip them next week for a profit, the jig is up.

No offense to MY neighbor who I met THROUGH THE BOARDS!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-25-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I have the sinking feeling many of these comments wont age well.

When your neighbor is buying cards because he can flip them next week for a profit, the jig is up.

No offense to MY neighbor who I met THROUGH THE BOARDS!
Koufax Oldmanalan is 350.00 today. Prices on Project 2020 are up huge today across the board. If you had invested yesterday in Project 2020 your 1 day return would be more than most investments return in years. Of course this isn't a long term hold. It is something you want to sell when it starts slowing down, but it is on fire right now.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:54 AM
Steven Finley

Quote:
This probably isn’t a popular answer here, but I vote Bitcoin. The last two bull runs following a block halving average about a 1100% increase from previous bear market lows. It’s currently up about 100% from low current so history points to it exploding again sometime in the next 9-18 months.

It’s volatile as hell, so I would never swing or day trade it, but the macro charts are pretty predictable. I dismissed it as rubbish until about two years ago and I’m up about 275% total since then. I’ll hit my Roth limit in about a month so I’ll probably be loading cryptocurrencies for the rest of the year.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:05 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

How do you purchase cryptocurrency ?
Old 05-26-2020, 09:26 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnmedic View Post
I believe it's become mainstream enough where you could purchase it through certain brokerage accounts just like you would anything else.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:14 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnmedic View Post
If you want to purchase the actual currency Coinbase is probably the easiest and most user friendly for first time US buyers. If you just want some exposure to the market the GBTC ETF is available from most online brokers.