NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-02-2004, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Default baseball time machine

Posted By: dennis

most of us are probably too young to have ever seen a pre-war baseball game---if you had to pick a time and place---which would you choose, mine would be a game at the baker bowl in 1930 philly versus the cubs. anybody reading this ever see a game there?http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/BakerBowl.htm

Old 10-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

A day game at Yankee Stadium, late 20's, A's and Yankees. Talk about HOFer city...

Or Ebbets Field, 1950's Dodgers v. Giants, Maglie pitching for the Giants, Newcombe for the Dodgers.

I'd also go for an LA Coliseum WS game in 1959. Just for the oddity.

As for today's baseball, I am actually going to be at that dream game. A client just invited me to his field level box seats for the Dodgers v Giants war this afternoon. If the Dodgers win, they clinch the West. Giants win, they live another day. I can't wait

Old 10-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

#1: the "Merkle's Boner" game - it would be incredible to be there with today's knowledge, and watch the entire thing play out: Merkle stops short and heads for exit, McGinnity eventually throwing the ball in the stands.

#2: one of the 1909 World Series games between Detroit and Pittsburg.

#3: the 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings vs Forest city and a young Al Spalding

#4: toss-up between one of the late 1800's NY Giants games with Ward, or Baltimore teams with McGraw and Keeler...one with a few good brawls

#5: and finally, to go to a game where Koufax pitches, and bring Jay and all the other Twinkie doubters.

Old 10-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Scott, I've seen the game on ESPN classic before.

I would also have to go with the 1909 World Series and season tickets to watch Hornsby's incredible 1922 season.

Jay

I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.

Old 10-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I would go back to June 4,1880 and watch Larry Corcoran and John Ward pitch a 16 inning 1-1 game that ended in a tie because of darkness.Classic matchup of a 20 year old rookie who would go on to win 43 games that year backed by the lineup of Anson,King Keely and Ned Williamson VS Ward who had established himself as a star pitcher the year before,and was backed by Paul Hines,who won the triple crown just 2 years earlier and legendary Joe Start,who at 37 could still swing the bat well and still pick it at first base

Old 10-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: shoo

Not sure where it took place but it was cy youngs last game pitched in the majors where he lost to some no name rookie named Grover Cleveland Alexander 1-0.

Old 10-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin O

1) Ebbets Field: April 15th 1947. I'd love to see him score the winning run;

2) Braves Field: October 8th 1916--World Series Game Two. Babe gives up a first inning run to Brooklyn, then throws thirteen innings of shutout ball.

3) Wrigley Field: October 1st 1932. I'd like to say I was there, but I realize I'd probably still believe the legend, even if he only shook his bat at some beer vendor. (Who knows, maybe he actually shook his beer at some bat vendor).

Old 10-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Kevin have you ever seen the footage of the Babe calling his shot

I have a vhs tape of it somewhere and its tough to tell,but when they showed it to his daughter she believes that he was pointing to say he was going to hit it.Eventho its not the best quality,its still great footage,supposedly the whole game is on the tape but ive just seen bits and pieces besides that at-bat

Old 10-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: qualitycards

My choice would be any of the 3 shutouts that Mathewson pitched in the 1905 World Series vrs the A's. If push came to shove, probably game #1 when Matty beat Eddie Plank to start the series off.

Old 10-02-2004, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Mine's easy: ANY game that Ty Cobb played in!!

Old 10-02-2004, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Howie

I'd go back and pick up some tickets for the 1919 World Series. Be interesting to watch for obvious signs of poor play.

Old 10-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

I'd have liked to have been in the big crowd at Fenway in September of 1912 when Joe Wood faced Walter Johnson and beat him 1-0 (extending his run at Johnson's victory streak record). Would have loved to watch those two work. Then would have stuck around for the Wood-Mathewson games in the WS.
Would settle for any Yankees game I went to with my Dad in 1957 to watch those great Bronx Bombers in their prime (in the pre-f***ed up Yankee Stadium). Ford owning the visitors' line-up. Berra throwing off his mask and pulling in a pop foul. Kubek to Richardson to Skowron (. . words that are heavy with nothing but trouble?), Ol' Casey and his theatrics, Mantle doing it all. Dad talking story about the PCL Seals he watched as a boy in SF in the twenties. And, after the game, chasing AL'ers for autographs outside the visitors' clubhouse (said autographs currently landfill-Thanks, Mom), innocent of all my future cynicism about our National Pastime and everything else.
Thanks for the great thread! Collecting old baseball cards is as near as it gets to a time machine. Rest in Peace, Mom and Dad.

Old 10-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Albie O'Hanian

I would want to watch the final two games of the 49 season between the Yankees and Red Sox.

Old 10-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

The entire 05' series played in the Polo Grounds and Columbia Park..The Polo Grounds in 08' for the one game playoff Giants vs. Cubs..

Old 10-04-2004, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

1) the first game of the 1919 World Series, when Cicotte hits the first batter in the back to indicate everyone's in who was going to be in, his attempt to pitch, realization that it is largely up to the pitcher to throw any game, Schalk yelling at him, etc. Close observers, even, weren't sure..till long afterwards.

2) Any game with Cobb, Cobb active, before 1920.

4) A Bluestockings game, with Walker catching.

5) the game in 1947 when Reese casually draped his arm over Robinson's shoulder as they were discussing short stop-second baseman strategy.