NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-02-2021, 12:31 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Bill,

Thanks for the update. It seems we are losing former Orioles at an increasing rate. I remember Grant as mostly a relief pitcher and a pretty good one for the Orioles. I was surprised to see he was a starter a couple years with the Phillies and threw over 250 innings for them in 1969.

I guess this must be opposite day. Bill posts a team issued postcard and I'll post a game used jersey of Grant Jackson.
Alan:

That's a sweet GU top of Jackson! His 1973 season was probably his best in Baltimore with a 8-0 record, ERA under 2.00 and a WHIP under 1.00

Of course, Orioles fans remember too that Grant was the winning pitcher for the Pirates in Game 7 of the '79 WS
Old 02-03-2021, 04:16 PM

Hi Charlie:

I am third on the PSA Registry for the Master Brooks Robinson Set. I was interested to know how items end up with the red asterisk (not needed for completion of the set). I have the 1968 Sports Illustrated Promo Card of Brooks (Card #1A1) graded as PSA 4.5. It was initially included as being needed for completion of the set and then got bounced and labeled with a red asterisk. Just curious if you know anything about how PSA makes decisions on such matters.

I am loving your set and your posts!

Many thanks,

Mark
Old 02-03-2021, 07:54 PM

Default Brooks Master Asterisk

Hi, Mark. Typically, items that are test issues or very, very rare such as your SI promo card are not required but optional if a collector adds them. I have done that with a number of cards (requested they be added but come back as optional). I have the 67 and 68 Discs, for example, and they are optional. Same with Proofs. PSA is not always consistent. The 1972 Test Disc is part of the set. I may have added it. The 3D 68 and Dice Game are optional. I often think it is very random. I have a few items that I believe are one of a kind that are part of the set, so not sure what the process truly is. I doubt I answered your question because I am not totally sure there is a clear answer.

I have a lot of cards I would be happy to trade with you that might help if interested. I am constantly looking to upgrade. I would love to see a pic of your SI Card.

My email if you want to chat more or swap cards you are missing or would like to upgrade:

Charles.strite@yahoo.com

Look forward to chatting more.

Charlie
Old 02-04-2021, 04:46 AM
Mike Magee

Default 1992 Topps Manny Lee/Cal Ripken

Bill,

I was searching an old thread and saw that you had a 1992 Topps card that was double-sided. Manny Lee on a glossy front and Cal Ripken on a matte back. Did you ever find out any more information about it?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2021, 04:37 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1711 View Post
Hi Charlie:

I am third on the PSA Registry for the Master Brooks Robinson Set. I was interested to know how items end up with the red asterisk (not needed for completion of the set). I have the 1968 Sports Illustrated Promo Card of Brooks (Card #1A1) graded as PSA 4.5. It was initially included as being needed for completion of the set and then got bounced and labeled with a red asterisk. Just curious if you know anything about how PSA makes decisions on such matters.

I am loving your set and your posts!

Many thanks,

Mark
Mark,

Would love to see the front and back of that SI card as well.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:11 PM

Default 1968 Promo Card

I emailed the pic to Charlie as I am a still learning how to post to this site. I hope the front comes up with this post. I am not sure it is going to work as an attachment.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1968 Sports Illustrated Promo 1A1.jpg (74.8 KB, 312 views)
Old 02-04-2021, 05:12 PM

Default 1968 Promo Card

I think Nabisco used the same pic for its card which is slightly smaller.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:23 PM

Default 1968 Promo Card

And the back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1968 Sports Illustrated Promo 1A1 Back1024_1.jpg (23.7 KB, 291 views)
Old 02-05-2021, 10:03 AM

Default 68 Promo SI Promo Card

Hi, Mark. Thanks for sharing. I was just about to post this card, per your approval. Thanks for sharing the back, too. I recall talking to some folks about this card and over the years I have seen folks try to sell the promotional poster pics (cut from the actual poster showing all of the cards) as the promotional cards. Not intentionally, but I was led to believe I found one and it was the "paper" version from the poster. This is a great card and very rare. It is on my "list."

Welcome to "posting!"
Old 02-06-2021, 07:54 AM
M@rk Comer

What are the differences between the Brooks SI promotional card and the SI advertising poster that shows all the SI posters? Is there a size, font, format difference?
Old 02-06-2021, 08:21 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
What are the differences between the Brooks SI promotional card and the SI advertising poster that shows all the SI posters? Is there a size, font, format difference?

Biggest thing I see are the letters in "Robinson" and the back of the poster being white (typical poster stock).

Last edited by roarfrom34; 02-06-2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:46 AM

Default 1962 Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set

Good morning. Happy Super Bowl Sunday. Should be an exciting game. Speaking of exciting, as promised, the different items and quantity of items in 1962 should not disappoint. There are technically 16 items in the 1962 slot of the PSA Master for Brooks Robinson. I will show 17 and explain later. 1962 has numerous 'different' entries. Moving top to bottom, we begin with the Topps Bucks. The one here is tied for the highest graded. You can find these out there but centering is an issue. I think I have several ungraded. This one is nice but a little expensive at this high grade. The 1962 Topps Stamps are a lot of fun. There are 4 slots for the Stamps. The four stamp with Brooks and 3 of his pals is the highest graded. This one is tough to find at this grade and can be expensive. There are 3 two player stamps of Brooks. The Duke Snider one is my favorite. There are two graded higher. The one with Baldschun is the highest graded. This was a nice find. The one with Moon is not part of the Master. Can't explain why. Tried to add but I think it has something to do with the other two player panels. The last one is the single of Brooks. This is tied as the highest graded. I was looking at the prices for these stamps and...well, email me if interested. Next, you see the two Post Cereal cards. One is the US version and the other is the Canadian version. You can see the differences between the two cards (less of a profile in the US version, hands are different, different card numbers, different colored letters, and of course the Canadian version has French wording). The grades here are not that high but surprisingly there are only 3 higher graded Canadian cards and 5 graded higher in the US version. I believe I added the Canadian card to the set. It is really hard to find nice Canadian cards; too often the border line is not cut so it is visible. I submitted a 1962 Brooks panel to PSA for grading and should have it back soon so I can add that to the master. They are affordable but hard to find. Below the Post cards, you will find the 3 Topps and one Venezulean card of Brooks. The regular 1962 Topps Brooks is graded the highest with 6 others. I won this through an auction and just last night, the auction house sent me an offer for $5,500. Of course, I declined. The All Star and Team cards are nice but nothing special in terms of grade. I looked at upgrading both but I think the price jumps considerably, if you can find them at the PSA 9. The 1962 'Vene' is tied for highest graded. These are so hard to find nice. This one is very expensive and I would never sell or trade. When folks ask me about this one, they are shocked at how nice it is. The three Jay Pubs are great pictures of Brooks. I especially like the one with the 'B' on his hat. Although only graded as 'Excellent' it is highest graded. The other two poses are plentiful and affordable. Finally, the two coins are very nice but not the highest graded despite being PSA 9 Mints. The Salada Junket Coins were offered in Tea and Pudding mix. There are 265 different coins. The Canadian coin or Sharriff Coins has fewer players and were offered in Shirriff Potato Chips. Did anyone ever pull one from from bag of chips? The Salada and Sharriff coins are similar except for the printing on the reverse of the coin and scarcities of the coins. I hope my comments do not sound like I am bragging or too focused on cost. I am trying to provide perspective on the scarcity of the item in the condition it is in. Many do not like "grading" so I get that, too. I look forward to the comments this week on other items I do not have above such as the team issued items. Hope you enjoyed this week's update. Next week is exciting as we begin to see Brooks appear on the Bazooka boxes. Have a great week!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1962.jpg (78.0 KB, 278 views)
Old 02-07-2021, 12:19 PM
Alan Strout

Default 1962 Brooks Robinson items

Charlie,

More great Brooks Robinson items. I especially like the Venezuelan card. I don't collect graded cards, but even finding a decent looking ungraded card is near impossible.

Here's a couple additional items and information.

Jays Publishing Photos

I've done a lot of research on the Jays photo packs. The 1962-1965 sets are often lumped together because of their similar style. PSA obviously doesn't try to separate them by year. The photo of Brooks in the batting pose is 1962, the kneeling pose is 1963 and the hands on knees pose is from 1965. Here is the 1964 photo.

1964 Jays 06 - Copy.jpg

Post Cereal Cards

As I mentioned last week, most Post Cereal cards come with various cropping variations based upon the product they were on. The 1962 Brooks Robinson comes with two variations. One shows more fingers on the bat than the other.

1962 Post Cereal #1 - Copy.jpg

1962 Salada Coins

Salada did several different printings of the 1962 set. The original set consisted of 180 coins (10 coins each of the 18 teams). With the expansion of the NY Mets and Houston Colt 45's, the set was redone to include them, making the set 200 (10 coins of the 20 teams). Trades, additions & deletions of some players and printing variations ballooned the set to 265 different coins. The main point being that the coins can be found with backs that say 180 coins or 200 coins. The 200 coin backs are much more plentiful. Since Brooks was in both printings, he can be found with both backs. One problem with Salada coins is the ease in which the paper inserts can be switched. All the Orioles have orange coins. Any Orioles with a different color have been switched.

Here are a few more items from 1962 you might want to look for

1962 Team Issued Postcard & 8x10 Tadder Photo

1962 Postcards 06 - Copy.jpg Robinson, Brooks 4 - Copy.jpg

1962 Baseball Monthly Photo

Robinson, Brooks (Baseball Monthly) - Copy.jpg
Old 02-07-2021, 03:04 PM

Default 1962 Brooks Master

Alan, thanks for adding more details on the coins and pictures. I have a couple of the pictures but some of the team issues are tough to find. Happy collecting.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:14 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1964 Stockton Ports

I was thrilled today when the mailman got me one program closer to my goal of picking up programs of all the Orioles minor league affiliates.

The Stockton Ports played in the California League and were affiliated with the Orioles from 1959-1971. The Ports were also affiliated with the Vancouver Mounties, the Orioles AAA farm team, in 1956 and 1957. Due to very poor attendance, programs and just about anything from the Ports are hard to find. Luckily, there is little demand, so when items show up, they aren't too pricey.

Here's today's addition -

1964 Stockton Ports Program

1964 Stockton Ports - Copy.JPG

It goes nicely with the Giants & Indians 1964 spring training exhibition program played in Stockton that I already had.

1964 Stockton Ports (Exhibition) - Copy.jpg

The 1964 Stockton Ports finished 69-70. A few notable players included Ed Barnowski, Steve Dalkowski and Bobby Floyd. The Ports averaged about 400 fans per game, which was actually one of the better years for them.

FYI - I am still looking for Stockton Ports programs from 1956, 1959, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1970 and 1971.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:49 AM
John
John Pur.cell

I picked this up yesterday! Very cool piece. As far as I can tell it’s a one-off piece of folk-art.

It is 9” corner to corner and the to of the figure’s head is about 7” off the table. All ceramic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2021, 10:41 AM
Clint

That is fantastic John!
Old 02-09-2021, 11:54 AM
John
John Pur.cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
That is fantastic John!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2021, 11:07 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Alan:

Congrats on the addition of that Stockton program!

Full ticket from May 28, 1996 when Cal Ripken Jr. homered three times in Seattle (only time in his career):

Old 02-14-2021, 07:25 AM
Bill H@e1ig

menu from Memorial Stadium's Hit & Run Club signed by the entire 1982 team (including rookie Cal Ripken Jr.):

Old 02-14-2021, 09:35 AM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set - 1963

Good morning. This week I will cover 1963 for the Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set. There are 13 entries in the master and the first for Bazooka (one of my favorite issues; I collect all things Bazooka and what a chore that has become...I often take breaks with the Bazooka collection but never pass up a Brooks). Starting from the top left you'll find the 1963 Bazooka Panel, the complete box and single hand cut card. The panel is graded a PSA 7, which is pretty high (one graded higher). The hand cut card has two graded higher. The box I was shocked to see it only grade as a PSA Authentic (this was especially hard to accept given the rarity of the box and its value). Because the tabs are missing, it received an Authentic grade, which is interesting as I have another Bazooka box without the tabs they graded as a PSA 5. The Bazooka boxes are very hard to find (especially in a nice condition). To the left of the bazooka box, you will find the 2nd year for Brooks with Salada. The PSA 9 is not that rare (22 others are graded as 9s); there are 4 graded PSA 10s out there. Next, you will see the 1963 Jell-O hand cut card of Brooks. I have sent so many to PSA to be graded and have not had any luck higher than this PSA 3. There are 5 graded higher than this PSA 3, which is actually pretty rare above the Grade of Authentic. I would love to find a complete box (does anyone have one they want to "donate?"). The two Post Cereal' card/panels are nothing special (relatively speaking). Finding a Post Hand Cut card at this level is not easy but there as many as 28 graded higher. The panel has a lot of issues on the bottom and left but they are pretty tough to find (especially with the advertising at the top). There are only two graded. I would love to upgrade this one someday. If I do, maybe I can break the slab and cut the Brooks card out and submit it for a higher grade (I know...blasphemy). Moving to the bottom left you will find the 1963 Exhibits with statistics on the back. This is Brooks' second Exhibit card. This example is graded pretty high; there are 3 graded higher. Next, you will find the 1963 Fleer at a PSA 9. There are 51 graded as a PSA 9 and 4 PSA 10s out there, which I hope to find someday. I am a huge fan of this set. The 1963 Topps Peel Offs are pretty cool. There are 46 total cards in this set. The cards were not numbered and came with and without instructions on the back, which is how PSA grades them. The PSA 9 with the instructions on the back is tied as highest graded and pretty expensive. The PSA 8 with a blank back (no instructions) has one graded higher. This one has 4 other PSA 8 peers. Finally, you will find the two regular Topps Cards from 1963. The Orioles Team card is a PSA 8. Finding a higher graded Team Card is easy but they are pricy. The Topps Regular Card of Brooks at the PSA 9 level is a little expensive but easy to find. There is one PSA 10, which I will "not" worry with. Well, that is 1963. Lots of different examples in 1963 and next week (1964) will have even more. I look forward to the comments and different team issued examples from folks for 1963. Have a warm Sunday and don't forget to take care of your Valentine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1963 Brooks.jpg (77.5 KB, 252 views)
Old 02-15-2021, 07:45 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
I look forward to the comments and different team issued examples from folks for 1963.
Charlie,

Here's a couple 1963 team issued items

1963 Team Issued B&W 8x10 Photo

The Orioles used more posed action shots in 1963, instead of the normal head shots.

Robinson, Brooks 6 - Copy.JPG

1963 Team Issued Postcard

The 1963 and 1964 Orioles postcards used the same photo with slight cropping differences.

1963 Postcards 08 - Copy.JPG
Old 02-15-2021, 01:42 PM

Default 1963 Brooks Ouctures

Alan, great pictures. Always looking for more Brooks items and you never disappoint.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:32 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

The question has to be asked, what the heck was on Brooks' nose during that photoshoot? It appears in both pictures (obviously taken mere moments apart).

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:40 PM

Default 1966 Koolon Baseball Cap Photo - Brooks

Anyone have one of these BW photos laying around collecting dust you want to part with?
Old 02-18-2021, 12:37 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Anyone have one of these BW photos laying around collecting dust you want to part with?
You didn’t pick it up recently?
Old 02-18-2021, 04:58 PM

Default 1966 Koolon Baseball Cap Photo - Brooks

Hi, Mark. I watched one on eBay for a week or so and underestimated the value. I lost! Been looking for a while. Great photo. ThNks!
Old 02-21-2021, 02:51 PM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set - 1964

Good afternoon! The Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set has a lot of different items in 1964. In total, there are 18 items. Going from top left to right...starting out you have the two Topps coins from 1964. The Blue Coin (#125 is tied for highest graded) at PSA 9. This is the All Star Coin (each league had 22). I have a proof and one in its sealed bag but they would not grade them. The #18 coin is harder to find in a higher grade, at least in my experience. There are 120 different coins. I continue to look for a PSA 9 or 10. Next, you have the two Rawlings Premium Photos. The one with the glove at his chest or Bird's Head Cap is not graded very high but it is tied for highest graded. This example is very hard to find. I have two others ungraded with Brooks' signature. The other Rawlings Premium Photo is readily available but this happens to be the highest graded at PSA 6. I recently added the entire 1964 Rawlings Premium Photos to the PSA Master. I am missing 3 (Mantle Black T Shirt, Bill White and Ken Boyer Mets). The photo with the full bird / glove on knee is the same photo found on the 1964 Glove Box Hand Cut. The 4 player panel is very rare. This is the highest graded at PSA 2. The hand cut Brooks card is also very rare but not as high graded. Both are very expensive. I have all 8 hand cut cards on the PSA Master for the Big 8 Box Set. I am looking for a complete box. My set is 2nd on the Registry. Always looking to upgrade if anyone has any extra. On the far right, you see the #3 Bazooka Stamp Panel with Brooks. This panel is hard to find at this grade. The single Brooks stamp is not as hard to find but both are pretty expensive. Bazooka also offered Brooks on a box in 1964. This particular box was very hard to find and I purchased it with the 10 stamps glued on the other side. I tried to get PSA to grade it with the stamps but they would not. I spent several hours with a blow dryer, tweezers and my finger nail removing the stamps. Because of some paper loss, they graded it as a PSA 2, but it is the 2nd highest graded (total graded is 2). This box is very expensive. The Bazooka panel has a mark on the back. I have been looking for a replacement panel but no luck. The hand cut bazooka card is graded as a PSA 9 with 3 peers; there is a PSA 10. This one is pretty expensive. The middle row you will see the 1964 Wheaties Panel with Hank Aaron. This panel is in excellent shape but was graded as a PSA 2. I had a PSA 1.5 but traded it to a Wheaties collector. The single Wheaties stamp is graded as a PSA 9; there are four PSA 10s. Both of these are pretty expensive. I enjoy the Wheaties set. The 1964 Giants set is one of my favorites. This set is still very affordable. This card (far right) is a PSA 9. There are 12 PSA 10s out there; I am always looking for a "10!" At the bottom left, you see the 1964 Topps Regular Card and its contemporary from the Venezuela issue. The regular card here is a PSA 9, which is pretty expensive but it has 69 peers. There are four PSA 10s. The 1964 Topps Orioles Team Card is nothing special but a higher graded version is surprisingly expensive. The Venezuela card is pretty hard to find with a clean "black" back. I have an extra one or two but not as nice. The final card is one of my favorites...the 1964 Topps Stand-Up. This example is the highest one I have seen (PSA 8.5) graded but there are 11 graded higher. There is a PSA 8 on Ebay for a crazy amount of money. 1964 was a break-out year for Brooks as this is the year he won the MVP. He finally started to receive a lot of national attention, especially with collectibles. Hope you enjoyed this week's Brooks Master update. See you next week with 1965, where Brooks appears for the first time on O-Pee-Chee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1964 Brooks Robinson PSA Master.jpg (79.3 KB, 206 views)
Old 02-21-2021, 05:35 PM
M@rk Comer

Default 1964

Charlie,

“ALL” of those are just AWESOME!! Thanks so much for sharing and explaining some of the rarities as far as the grades. I can’t really see the stamp panel grade; what did that grade?

Hopefully you’ll find a complete Rawlings box. I know I’ve seen one or two in the past, but they were out of my league.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:55 PM

Default Brooks Master - Mark

Hi, Mark. The Bazooka Stamp Panel is a PSA 5. The Bazooka’s are amazing. I was a little busy today and forgot I had to do this. I can’t imagine doing this every day for a year. Wow! Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:04 AM
Alan Strout

Here are a few more Brooks Robinson items to add to Charlie's 1964 list. The Orioles pretty much used the same photo for all their 1964 team issues. It's actually the same pose as the 1963 postcards, with different croppings.

1964 Team Issued Postcards

1964 Postcards 10 - Copy.JPG 1964 Postcards 11 - Copy.JPG

1964 Team Issued 8x10 Photo and Sports Illustrated Premium

Robinson, Brooks 7 - Copy.jpg Robinson, Brooks (Sports Illustrated) - Copy.jpg

The Orioles finally fixed the blemish on Brooks nose, at least on the 8x10 photo

1964 Martin Company Family Night Card July 17, 1964

1964 Martin Family Night #4 - Copy.jpg Martin Marietta - Copy.jpg
Old 02-23-2021, 06:40 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I'm sure some of you guys would have heard of (or known) Ted Patterson who was a long time Baltimore area TV/Radio Sports personality (& author) who had a long time relationship with Brooks & owned a world class card & memorabilia collection (which I was privileged to see on more than one occasion), unfortunately passed away yesterday at the age of 76.

Here is an article that was done on his collection a couple years ago prior to it being consigned to an auction house:

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...ummer-auction/

I was also fortunate to pick up a few items over the years from him for my collection (as well as this photo)....

RIP Ted

Last edited by roarfrom34; 02-23-2021 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:14 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
I'm sure some of you guys would have heard of (or known) Ted Patterson who was a long time Baltimore area TV/Radio Sports (& author) personality who had a long time relationship with Brooks & owned a world class card & memorabilia collection (which I was privileged to see on more than one occasion), unfortunately passed away yesterday at the age of 76.
Bill,

Sad to hear about Ted's passing. I never met him, but did have some dealings with him over the years. Seemed like a real nice guy.

Here's an Orioles Trivia book he did in 1980.

1980 Ted Patterson's Orioles Trivia Book.jpg
Old 02-27-2021, 09:46 AM
Bill H@e1ig

The Autoball Company has been producing those facsimile/souvenir baseballs you see sold at ballparks, etc. since 1947...

I recently picked up Cal Ripken Jr.'s contract with the company (dated March 1980) which goes well with the Cal Sr. ('71) and Bill Ripken ('89) contracts I've owned for years:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 02-27-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:32 AM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set - 1965

Good morning. Happy Sunday! As promised, this week I will cover the 1965 items included in the 1965 Brooks Robinson PSA Master. When looking at the picture, the first item top left is the Topps Transfers. This item was inserted into Wax Packs. The set includes 72 different players either blue or red. They are very difficult to find in nice condition. This one is tied as the highest graded at a PSA 8. The 1965 Embossed card was also an insert with 72 different players (again, red or blue). They are condition sensitive. There are 24 graded as a PSA 8 with 3 graded higher. Next is the 1965 Rawlings MVP Premium. I do not think this item is rare, but there are only two graded. I had this one added to the Master, which celebrates Brooks 1964 MVP selection. I have not seen others but I believe there is a similar one for Ken Boyer. Next, there are the two 1965 Brooks Bazooka items. The Panel is in good shape but only grades as a PSA 4. The hand cut single is really nice. It graded as a PSA 8. Both Bazooka's are very affordable. I am sure a 1965 Brooks Bazooka Complete Box is out there but I have never seen one and PSA has not graded one to date. If anyone has one that they can't stomach anymore, I am your guy. Below the Bazooka hand cut card is the 1965 PSA 9 Old London Coin. This coin is tied for highest graded. These were made in Canada and included 40 players. There are 10 PSA 9s. This coin was very expensive but finding nice ones are affordable. I have a sealed one ungraded...should I send it into PSA for a possible PSA 10? At the bottom are the 1965 Topps and O-Pee-Chee 1964 AL RBI leaders. Both are graded pretty nice. They are pretty expensive at a higher grade. I have pretty much given up on upgrading these. The O-Pee-Chee has only 4 graded higher while the Topps one has 74 over a PSA 8. The PSA 9 Orioles Team card is nothing special. I am a big fan of the color. There are 3 PSA 10s out there. The 1964 AL Batting Leaders are next. The O-Pee-Chee is graded at PSA 4.5 and surprisingly very hard to find at a higher grade and quite expensive. Never could figure this one out (there are 20 graded higher but I can't seem to find one). The Topps version has 239 graded as PSA 8 and another 62 graded higher. I have made reasonable offers for a PSA 9 but seem to fall short. Finally, you see the 1965 Topps and O-Pee-Chee regular Brooks cards. The Topps version has 114 cards graded at PSA 9 and only 6 PSA 10s. The O-Pee-Chee is graded as a PSA 8 and there 5 others at that grade and only 6 graded higher. The Topps PSA 9 is a pretty expensive. Well, that is the 1965 list. I look forward to comments and additions to other Brooks items such as the team issued photos and post cards. See you next week with the 1966 Brooks items in the "Master."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1965 Pictures.jpg (76.5 KB, 177 views)
Old 03-01-2021, 01:57 PM
Alan Strout

Charlie,

Here's the 1965 Brooks Robinson team issued postcard and B&W 8x10 photo. The O's would use the same pose again in 1966.

1965 Postcard & 8x10 Photo

1965 Postcards 08 - Copy.jpg Robinson, Brooks 8 - Copy.jpg

I'm also including the Orioles 1965 spring training program from Miami. The cover featured Brooks.

1965 Spring Training Program

1965 Spring Training (Miami) - Copy.jpg

On a side note, please give me a moment to rant.

Yesterday was the Orioles first spring training game in Sarasota since last years COVID shutdown. It was nice to see baseball in person, but not the same atmosphere I'm used to at spring training. Lots of changes as expected. One that hit me by complete surprise was the Orioles eliminating printed programs at the game. I was told I could download the program to my phone. What a bunch of BS... Have fun scoring the game on your phone. The plan is to go all digital at Camden Yards also. I am one who loves programs and have spring training programs, as well as many other publications, back to 1954. This is yet another example of the Orioles ignoring their older fans to cater to technology. First it was printed media guides, then yearbooks and now game day programs. I'm certain that the Orioles run of player postcards from 1954 to present will come to an end this summer. I'm not sure what to collect anymore.

Thanks for letting me vent....
Old 03-02-2021, 06:11 PM

Default Printed Programs

Alan, thanks for the “vent.” I hope to see the Orioles annually in Florida next year. I am so excited to see a game at Camden Yards this year. My season tickets last year went unused. They gave me a 25% coupon this year and can’t wait to use it I promise to vent if they go paperless! Enjoy!

Thanks for 1965 Pictures. Your knowledge and collection is amazing.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:32 PM
Alan Strout

Default RIP Joe Altobelli

The Orioles family has lost yet another member, with the passing of former Orioles manager Joe Altobelli. Joe managed the Orioles last World Series champions in 1983. Much of his time in the Orioles organization was spent with the AAA Rochester Red Wings in a variety of capacities.

A couple Joe Altobelli items

1985 News American Oriole Profile 3-31 (Altobelli, Joe).jpg Altobelli, Joe 1 - Copy.JPG
Old 03-04-2021, 05:56 AM

Quote:
The Orioles family has lost yet another member, with the passing of former Orioles manager Joe Altobelli. Joe managed the Orioles last World Series champions in 1983. Much of his time in the Orioles organization was spent with the AAA Rochester Red Wings in a variety of capacities.

A couple Joe Altobelli items

Attachment 443970 Attachment 443971
A class individual in every way.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:11 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Tough Week Indeed; RIP Joe

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-04-2021 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:02 AM
Clint

Sad to hear about Joe. Glad he got his ring.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:38 AM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set - 1966

Good afternoon on this cold Maryland Sunday! This week (as promised) I will provide a list of items on the 1966 slots on Brooks' master. Starting at the left is the 1966 Topps Rub-Offs. This is example is one of 11 GEM (PSA 10). The rub-off came in the Topps Wax Pack; 120 total with 23 hall of famers. Next is the Topps PSA 9 regular card of Brooks. There are 36 PSA 9s and only 1 PSA 10. This card is not cheap but a lower grade is very affordable. I had aspirations of "winning" the PSA 10 at auction but bowed out early. It ultimately sold for $27K or so plus the buyers premium. I like the 1966 Topps set but not that much! The 1966 Orioles Team card is one of 33 PSA 9s. Nothing really special. The 1966 Topps Venezuelan Orioles Team card is a mid-grade (PSA 5) with 5 graded higher. Any Venezuelan card is hard to come by let a lone a PSA 5 so I was very pleased with this affordable find. The Remaining cards are the Bazookas (some of my favorite). The complete box is not so hard to find but they are pricy. This box is a PSA 5. Finding a higher grade is difficult. There are 3 other PSA 5s and as many as 2 graded higher. There are 16 different 3 player panels in 1966. The 1966 and 1967 Bazooka Boxes with Brooks are different but when you cut them down to a panel or single hand cut card they appear to be the same (same players and same numbers on the front of the two boxes but the 1966 Box has Koufax on the back and the 1967 has Mantle). The Bazooka Panel you will notice is graded as 1966/67 because you cannot differentiate between the 66 and 67 panels once cut away from the box. This one is a PSA 9 and has two peers and highest graded. The 1966/67 Brooks hand cut individual card has four peers and highest graded. Anything Bazooka is expensive, which holds true with all of these. You will be happy to know that "no" Bazookas were damaged to satisfy my ego or PSA master rating! The 1966 Brooks Master is fairly limited. You will be excited to know that the 1967 Master for Brooks has 18 entries with a lot of variety.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1966 Brooks Master.jpg (77.6 KB, 138 views)
Old 03-07-2021, 01:11 PM
Alan Strout

Charlie,

More great looking items. Here's the Orioles 1966 team issued postcards and photo. They used the same photo as 1965, with slight cropping changes.

1966 Postcards

1966 Postcards 09 - Copy.JPG

1966 Morton Tadder 8x10 Photo

Robinson, Brooks 9 - Copy.jpg

Bonus item - For more info see post #1818

1966 The Bendix Beam Magazine featuring Brooks on the cover

1966 The Bendix Beam Magazine (Oct) - Copy.JPG
Old 03-11-2021, 05:36 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Recently picked this ticket up & while it appears to be some sort of a phantom World Series ticket, I'm also wondering if it's some sort of an ad for The Charcoal House as well....It's printed on ticket stock although there are no perforations (October 5th would have been Game 1):

UPDATE: Just noticed the wording "This Ticket is for Laughs Only"

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-11-2021 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:44 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Recently picked this ticket up & while it appears to be some sort of a phantom World Series ticket, I'm also wondering if it's some sort of an ad for The Charcoal House as well....It's printed on ticket stock although there are no perforations (October 5th would have been Game 1):

UPDATE: Just noticed the wording "This Ticket is for Laughs Only"
Bill,

Ha Ha... Considering the Giants finished in 5th place in 1960, I wonder how many people would have tried to get into the World Series, if the Orioles had made it that year. Has to be a very clever ad for The Charcoal House. Still interesting. I hope you didn't pay much for it.

I do have a printer's proof for the 1960 World Series. I don't think they are that hard to find.

1960 Orioles World Series Phantom Ticket Proof

1960 World Series (Baltimore) Phantom.jpg
Old 03-11-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:

I do have a printer's proof for the 1960 World Series. I don't think they are that hard to find.

1960 Orioles World Series Phantom Ticket Proof

Attachment 445608
If I remember right those 1960 phantom world series tickets were given to season ticket holders as a Christmas gift the following December.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:04 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Most Orioles fans from back in the day recall how manager Earl Weaver and groundskeeper Pat Santarone used to have competitions as to who could grow the largest tomatoes in the left field foul/out of play territory (near where the grounds crew sat).

After Earl retired both he & Pat decided to team up and market their own line of Tomato Food...I don't recall this being around for a long period of time (wish I had known of that signed ball offer):

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-13-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:41 AM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set - 1967

Good morning! As promised, this week I will cover 1967. There are 17 entries on the Master for 1967. This number will grow. I will explain later. Moving top left to right you find the 1967 Dexter Press Premium and Premium All-Star. These cards were offered by Coca-Cola for each team (Cardinals did not have a set and the Angels only had one player). There was also the AL and NL All-Star 12 player sets. The cards are different on the back with additional information on the All-Star card. Both cards are high graded. The team issue as a PSA 7.5 at least 9 graded higher and the All-Star card has only two graded higher. Both are very affordable. Next, you find the Bazooka Complete Box and Panel. The Box "haunts" me daily. I am always looking to upgrade this example but they are in short supply. The Panel as a PSA 8 is the highest graded. I thought the Panel when cut away from the box like the individual card was captured as 1966/67 but that is not the case in the Master. Interestingly, their is no single hand cut card for 1967 so my guess is if a panel was sent in today to PSA it would be marked as 1966/67 because the two boxes are the same between 1966 and 1967 accept for the small picture of Koufax and Mantle on the opposite side of the box. This box and panel can be hard to find at an affordable price. One of my favorite cards for Brooks is the 1967 Topps Test Disc. There are 24 different players in this set. I am aware of only two graded by PSA. The 1967 Test Discs are only graded as Authentic. To complete the Brooks Master, though listed on the Master, you do not have to own this vintage. It is not counted in the qualitative score. I know what I paid for this card and would not part with it for 5 times the cost. I believe SGC may have graded some and I am sure others are out there ungraded. Next, you see the 1967 Topps Regular Brooks and the Venezuelan version. The regular Brooks card has 41 peers at the PSA 9 grade and their are 2 PSA 10s. Because this is a high number, this card is very rare and expensive. The 1967 Set is one of my favorite and loaded with rookies, stars and HOF'ers. There are 7 Brooks 1967 Vene's graded as a PSA 4 and only one graded higher. You can find this Vene at the PSA 1 level but the PSA 4 is very rare and will cost you. The Champs card with Brooks and Frank is the #1 card in the set so you would think it is hard to find at a nice grade, but they are plentiful. There are over 260 graded PSA 8 with another 51 at the PSA 9 and 10 level. The PSA 9s are very expensive. I recently discovered that O Pee Chee for 1967 has this card and it is on its way to PSA for grading and will be added soon (in PSA language, that might be 6 months or so). The 1967 Topps Team is depicted with that bright orange almost red tone. It is an excellent example at PSA 9. There are 65 at this grade and 6 PSA 10s. Beside the Team card is the Brooks Topps 1967 Checklist. This card is plentiful but very expensive. I guess many kids back in the day marked the cards for to track who they owned (shameful!). I am always tempted to upgrade this card but the price never seems right. There are over 75 graded as PSA 7 and another 119 at the PSA 8-10 grade, so someday I will upgrade. Next, in the middle you will see the 1967/68 Coca-Cola bottle caps with Brooks. The bottle caps are a new addition to the master. I could go on and on about the bottle caps. Here is what I have learned and my information and knowledge routinely changes. There are several different bottle caps; there is the Coca-Cola version (King Size and Caremel), Fanta (Grape, Orange and Root Beer), Sprite (Sprite also has a regular size and King Size), Fresca and Tab. Technically, there is two types of Coca-Cola (King Size and Caramel) but PSA grades them as the same vintage. You can then find the Team Cap (further marked as O10) and All Star Caps (A21 for AL and #3 for MLB). The The 1968 Team Version does not have the player's position to the right of the face, which I will show next week. Overall, it is my estimate that there could be as many as 36 different bottle caps between 1967-1968 for Brooks. Ok...back to what is displayed, today I am showing (top to bottom, left to right) Sprite O10 Team (PSA 5, highest graded), Fresca O10 Team (PSA 4, highest graded), Coca-Cola #3 MLB AS (PSA 5, highest graded), A21 Tab AL AS (PSA 3, one graded higher), Coca-Cola A21 AL AS (PSA 7, highest graded, highest graded), and Coca-Cola O10 Team (PSA 4, tied as highest graded). I have as many as 15 other bottle caps at PSA for grading (a mixture of Sprite, Tab, Orange, Grape, Root Beer and Coca-Cola). Finally, the final item is the 1967 Topps Pin Up. This Pin Up is graded as a PSA 7 and these are not easily found in a higher grade. There are 6 graded higher. There is the O Pee Chee version that is debated as a 1967 or 1968 issue, which I will show you next week with 19 other items. I hope this week's update was not too long. See you next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1967 Brooks Master.jpg (38.4 KB, 85 views)
Old 03-14-2021, 09:49 AM
Clint

Good stuff Charlie. Can you post bigger pics of the disc and Venezuelan?
Old 03-14-2021, 04:58 PM

Default Brooks Test Disc 67 and Vene 67

I was asked to show these two 1967 Cards of Brooks. I guess I need to figure out how to post better pictures. I did notice the original picture seemed small. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 67 Vene and Disc.jpg (40.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 67 Vene and Disc 2.jpg (20.3 KB, 80 views)